This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
    No, they are no longer related. Loria used to be married to Samson's mother. They've been divorced for years and Loria re-married.

- - - - - - - - - -

Many of these offers seem acceptable...just make a deal and move on already. Maybe they are trying to wait out Grandal, but this is dragging on forever.
    They wanted to get something done this week however if they dont doubtful anything till like 12/27(Xmas) and yes they are waiting out Grandal too because if he signs with LAA or another surprise team then it opens the market up even more.

They have had good conversations with TB/Cincy/SD/Houston/NYY/even Atlanta but they would love for the LAD to be desperate and say YES Bellinger or Verdugo/Ruiz/May which could happen. In their eyes they still have another month to do anything but 99.99999999% chance he is gone

If Grandal doesn't sign with LAA then they have a massive opening too and they have Jo Adell(Untouchable so far)/Canning/Marsh/Jones/Maitan/Suarez/Rengifo which means they could jump in as well
    Last edited by tjfla; 12-19-2018, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      They wanted to get something done this week however if they dont doubtful anything till like 12/27(Xmas) and yes they are waiting out Grandal too because if he signs with LAA or another surprise team then it opens the market up even more.

They have had good conversations with TB/Cincy/SD/Houston/NYY/even Atlanta but they would love for the LAD to be desperate and say YES Bellinger or Verdugo/Ruiz/May which could happen. In their eyes they still have another month to do anything but 99.99999999% chance he is gone
      That's all fine, but I'm sure that Grandal is waiting out the Marlins as well.

Comment

That's all fine, but I'm sure that Grandal is waiting out the Marlins as well.
        Grandal is waiting out a 3/30+ million deal-reason he hasn't signed yet is he wants a longer term deal than teams are offering but he comes with loss of draft pick

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          Grandal is waiting out a 3/30+ million deal-reason he hasn't signed yet is he wants a longer term deal than teams are offering but he comes with loss of draft pick
          If so, then Grandal (and teams interested in him) are likely waiting to see what happens with Realmuto. If he goes to the Dodgers, they would likely pull his qualifying offer. It would seem that the Marlins would have to act first or teams will just keep waiting to sign Grandal.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
            Samson is still Loria's Son-in-Law, right? Loria's made him a very rich man, do you honestly think he's going to give up dirt on Jeff Loria or himself? He's an attention whore that needs to go away. A waste of space human being.
            he was never his son in law, loria married samsons mother but i dont think thats been a thing for many years.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              he was never his son in law, loria married samsons mother but i dont think thats been a thing for many years.
              Still, that marriage is the only reason he was a high ranking executive on a major league baseball team.

Comment

If so, then Grandal (and teams interested in him) are likely waiting to see what happens with Realmuto. If he goes to the Dodgers, they would likely pull his qualifying offer. It would seem that the Marlins would have to act first or teams will just keep waiting to sign Grandal.
                I don't know what you mean by "pulling" his qualifying offer. The QO is already gone - Grandal didn't accept it, he can't go back and accept it now. The Dodgers will get some sort of draft pick depending on the deal he signs (there are different tiers depending on the size of the contract now).

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                He was Loria's step son, and no they're not married anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                  I don't know what you mean by "pulling" his qualifying offer. The QO is already gone - Grandal didn't accept it, he can't go back and accept it now. The Dodgers will get some sort of draft pick depending on the deal he signs (there are different tiers depending on the size of the contract now).

He was Loria's step son, and no they're not married anymore.
                  I was under the impression that the team could pull the offer and remove the draft pick compensation. I could be wrong. I could be confusing this with how the NBA handles things with restricted free agency.

Comment

Still, that marriage is the only reason he was a high ranking executive on a major league baseball team.
                    perhaps, but say what you want about him as a fan, he was fucking great at his job from a business perspective and specifically as it relates to the stadium deal. That's why i dont understand the hate for him as it relates to the stadium. IF you want to blame someone, blame the city, but dont blame the guy whose job it was to get the best stadium deal possible for the team. Hate on him for the team building, which if you listen to his show on lebatard he will acknowledge they were absolutely terrible at their jobs. I just dont understand the hate for him as opposed to the city of miami or whichever municipality was in charge with giving him that deal.

Comment

I was under the impression that the team could pull the offer and remove the draft pick compensation. I could be wrong. I could be confusing this with how the NBA handles things with restricted free agency.
                      No QO is done. They get a Pick after Rd 2 and team who signs him loses Rd 2 Pick I think

So confusing now-Harper only gets the Nats a 4th Rd pick

Here are the seven free agents who received the qualifying offer last week, and what Draft compensation their 2018 teams stand to receive if the players sign elsewhere.

Astros -- LHP Dallas Keuchel: Pick after Competitive Balance Round B

D-backs -- LHP Patrick Corbin and OF A.J. Pollock:
                      A) If either player signs for at least $50 million: Pick between 1st round and Competitive Balance Round A
                      B) If either player signs for less than $50 million: Pick after Competitive Balance Round B

Dodgers -- C Yasmani Grandal : Pick after Competitive Balance Round B

Nationals -- OF Bryce Harper: Pick after Round 4

Red Sox -- RHP Craig Kimbrel: Pick after Round 4

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                        perhaps, but say what you want about him as a fan, he was fucking great at his job from a business perspective and specifically as it relates to the stadium deal. That's why i dont understand the hate for him as it relates to the stadium. IF you want to blame someone, blame the city, but dont blame the guy whose job it was to get the best stadium deal possible for the team. Hate on him for the team building, which if you listen to his show on lebatard he will acknowledge they were absolutely terrible at their jobs. I just dont understand the hate for him as opposed to the city of miami or whichever municipality was in charge with giving him that deal.
                        I don't hate him for the stadium, I hate him for the 100 other legitimate reasons to hate him. I hate him for running the team incompetently for 15 years and then spouting out to the press about how great he and stepdaddy were every month. If you're looking at it from a perspective of how good he was at padding his own wallet and ability to not spend Loria's money at the expense of the fans, then ya he was great.

Comment

• There's a report that the Dodgers are willing to offer Dustin May and either Ruiz or Will Smith in a package for Realmuto. Some people on twitter are getting excited about that, but it seems pretty light to me. If I'm trading with the Dodgers, it would need to start with Verdugo, or at the very least include Lux with those other two names.

Comment

I don't hate him for the stadium, I hate him for the 100 other legitimate reasons to hate him. I hate him for running the team incompetently for 15 years and then spouting out to the press about how great he and stepdaddy were every month. If you're looking at it from a perspective of how good he was at padding his own wallet and ability to not spend Loria's money at the expense of the fans, then ya he was great.
                            Not even trying to be condescending here, i swear, but im not sure if you've ever listened to Samson's segments on lebatard but ive been listening just about every day for 15 years and I can tell you that if you think his schtick is to talk up the job he did as team president as this beacon of success then you havent listened very often if at all. He's known exactly for his willingness to talk about how shitty of a job they did their entire time here. Loria is a different story and he is a moron and i cant even recall the last time i heard him talk publicly to determine how great he thought he was doing, but Samson has been abundantly clear that he knows they were an unmitigated disaster on the field here.

He is certainly justifiably criticizable, but not for the reason of spouting to the press about how great of a job he did.

As far as spending money, that is also criticizable but this team was not making money I dont believe. They werent making money due to their own stupid mismanagement (Loria is significantly more at fault than Samson), but I really dont think this was the case where Loria was raking in millions while he neglected to spend on his team. I genuinely think Loria was just such a horrific owner and general all around person who poisoned the market down here for so long that he couldnt turn any kind of meaningful profit. Samson was even talking today in his appearance about how they panicked after going crazy in the offseason before 2012 when they put the tickets for the red sox series online and expected a sellout and they did not get anywhere close. Samson discussed today how that was one of if not the first time they thought they were going to have to trade all those guys that eventually were dealt in the blue jays trade.

- - - - - - - - - -

my overall point is that I think samson is the target of a lot of criticism that should be directed at loria for being a piece of garbage owner rather than samson for being really good at his job in undertaking the agenda that he was told to undertake by loria.

Comment

• I am not talking about the way he talks now. Of course I haven't listened to his segments on Lebatard. Why in the world would I?

I'm talking about the way he conducted himself when he was the Marlins President. When he was President he had an outlet, the press had to listen to what he said. Now he'll say whatever it takes to get his voice heard, because he misses the fact that people had to give him attention.

Comment

I am not talking about the way he talks now. Of course I haven't listened to his segments on Lebatard. Why in the world would I?

I'm talking about the way he conducted himself when he was the Marlins President. When he was President he had an outlet, the press had to listen to what he said. Now he'll say whatever it takes to get his voice heard, because he misses the fact that people had to give him attention.
                                You should listen or should have listened to his segments on lebatard through the years because they were the best public insight into the marlins thinking and because, like him or hate him, samson is one of the most brutally honest team executives you'll ever hear, and also because his segments on lebatard had been, up until Loria told him to stop going on or else he would be fired, the vast vast majority of what his words were publicly. He'd do a pre and post season interview and an occasional mid season thing, but his weekly appearances on lebatard are just about the only public comments that ever were anything more than team president speak nonsense. and again, he might like attention (he 100% does) but my problem was more with the characterization of him as this guy who would try to bullshit you and say his team was performing great. That is not and has never been his public persona.

Also, he has a job with cbssports now and has no one to answer to when discussing his tenure as marlins president in public, so thats why he gets his voice heard, not just because he is seeking attention, although he is 100% doing that as well (as are most media guys).

Comment

Working...
                                X