This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018/2019 Offseason Thread

So I figure since we just narrowly missed October baseball and the season is now over for us, that it was time to start the offseason thread instead of continuing the season game thread.

Something I hope we put to good use from Nov to April is the fact we have the #1 NL Waiver Claim Spot and #4 Overall. Means ANY NL team who DFA someone we get first crack at them

We also will have the #4 Pick in the Rule 5 Draft and wouldnt be surprised if we take an arm and possible a C(Depends on JT) or 1B type

Comment

I remember reading that the team would be having organizational meetings in NY after the final games against the Mets. I would assume we will hear about any coaching staff changes soon if that is still the case.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
        I remember reading that the team would be having organizational meetings in NY after the final games against the Mets. I would assume we will hear about any coaching staff changes soon if that is still the case.
        Should be a few minor moves but nothing crazy. After 2019 season it will be nuts with tons of turnover likely from Top to Bottom

Comment

Buster Olney

Verified account

@Buster_ESPN
          Following Following @Buster_ESPN
          More
          If Buck Showalter isn’t going to continue as manager, he would seem to be a great target for Marlins as a FO voice. Among other skills, he knows what it takes to build something good.

8:43 AM - 3 Oct 2018

Comment

So the keep everyone 40 man is this???? Did I miss someone?

SP - Urena, Chen, Straily, Alcantara, Richards, Lopez, Ca. Smith (7)

RHP - Barraclough, Brigham, M. Gonzalez, Graves, Guerrero, E. Hernandez, Meyer, T. Kinley, Steckenrider, Wittgren, Yamamoto (11)

LHP - Conley, Garcia, Peters, Quijada (4)

C - Realmuto (1)

IF - Anderson, Bostick, Castro, Cooper, Diaz, Dietrich, O’Brien, Prado, Riddle, Rojas, Schales, Twine (12)

OF -Brinson, Dean, Harrison, B. Lee, Sierra (5)
            =40

Notable DFA/Rule 5 Exposure:
            P - O’Grady, Rucinski, Cloyd, Del Pozo, Guerra, Needy, Poteet, J. Kinley
            C - Holaday, Nola, Wallach, Telis
            IF - Twine, Rivera
            OF - Ortega, Galloway, Norwood

Don’t need to be protected: Beggs, Dugger, Eveld, Gallen, Guzman (I think… obviously he's a lock if not), D. Lee, Mills, Neidert

(Hill mentioned Twine specifically in a recent Miami Herald article, so I included him over Ortega as the final spot.*)

Practically, I think we all expect some of... Barraclough and/or Conley traded, that Straily and Dietrich will be traded or outright DFA'd, Castro traded the second they can get out of the money, maybe Prado is straight DFA'd, and some of Meyer/Kinley/Bostick/Twine/B. Lee aren't protected as they aren't really world beaters.

There are practically probably 4-5 open spots here once some of those decisions are made. That should give them room for a Rule V pick, a free agent OF (hopefully two), a veteran backup catcher, and whoever else they'd like to add.

They have some room to work with. At least they have improved overall depth to the point where we're not looking at 10 spots being open and we say "they protected who?"

Comment

I don't understand all the DFA talk for Dietrich as if he's some sort of useless player?

---

https://www.mlb.com/news/marlins-pla...to/c-296997532

Hill on Realmuto:
              "At the appropriate time, we'll get to his representative and see if we can do something longer-term than the two years," Hill said. "That time hasn't happened yet, but it's something we definitely want to pursue."
              When is the appropriate time? Shouldn't they be beating down his door?

---

Also from the article - Mattingly is back, but the coaching staff may or may not change, more might come next week.

---

A few other front office hires:

• As part of reshaping their amateur staff, the Marlins on Wednesday announced the hiring of Marti Wolever as senior advisor of amateur scouting, Mike Soper as regional supervisor and T.R. Lewis as special assignment scout.
              - - - - - - - - - -

I also have horrible news......

In a devastating blow to our offense, JB Shuck has elected free agency.

Comment

yeah what the F are they waiting for?

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                  I don't understand all the DFA talk for Dietrich as if he's some sort of useless player?
                  He's going to make something around $4.25-$4.5 million in arbitration. You can sign "useful" dudes like Lucas Duda for less than that. I bet Bour doesn't make that much in free agency when he is inevitably DFA'd and it's a toss up of who is going to be better.

Practically, that price is fine for next year though and I agree with you fully. If that balloons to $6-7 million in 2020, that's when you make a decision. There is no point to do it now even if they are considering it in the papers.

In fact, I'd also be fine giving Dietrich a 3 year deal right now (ages 29-31) to buy out 1 free agency year. 3/$12 sort of thing? He's made less than half of that in his career and maybe he sees guys like Morrison getting jack and shit in free agency coming off superior seasons. Maybe locking in $12 million or so bucks, having stability in his life (ignoring the Marlins trade everyone), and he is still a free agent at 32, is worth it to him. This puts Dietrich over $20 million for his career which is pretty damn good to live on forever, let alone he should have a few more useful years in the bigs. Worst case scenario for the Marlins, he is a solid bench player and that's not a bad going rate for one of those.

Just saying, there is some value here for sure and he shouldn't be DFA'd. They shouldn't DFA Straily either - who could be a bargain at $4 million also - but that seems more likely to me.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                    He's going to make something around $4.25-$4.5 million in arbitration. You can sign "useful" dudes like Lucas Duda for less than that. I bet Bour doesn't make that much in free agency when he is inevitably DFA'd and it's a toss up of who is going to be better.

Practically, that price is fine for next year though and I agree with you fully. If that balloons to $6-7 million in 2020, that's when you make a decision. There is no point to do it now even if they are considering it in the papers.

In fact, I'd also be fine giving Dietrich a 3 year deal right now (ages 29-31) to buy out 1 free agency year. 3/$12 sort of thing? He's made less than half of that in his career and maybe he sees guys like Morrison getting jack and shit in free agency coming off superior seasons. Maybe locking in $12 million or so bucks, having stability in his life (ignoring the Marlins trade everyone), and he is still a free agent at 32, is worth it to him. This puts Dietrich over $20 million for his career which is pretty damn good to live on forever, let alone he should have a few more useful years in the bigs. Worst case scenario for the Marlins, he is a solid bench player and that's not a bad going rate for one of those.

Just saying, there is some value here for sure and he shouldn't be DFA'd. They shouldn't DFA Straily either - who could be a bargain at $4 million also - but that seems more likely to me.
                    I'm not saying you can't sign other guys for less, but when our offense is anemic, we don't have anyone else, and he's not a Prado who's being payed 15 million to play 3 games and get hurt, it seems stupid to just throw him away just to save $1-2 million (vs. whoever you're going to bring in). Not to mention if he plays well enough, he could become a trade chip at the deadline, and at worst he's not really blocking anyone anywhere if he does just perform at an average level.

I'm with you on Straily too. Keep him and hope he turns it around, and again, maybe he becomes a nice trade chip at the deadline.

---

It'd be a very Marlins thing to do to DFA both of them for nothing in return, and then they both have monster years.

Comment

So the keep everyone 40 man is this???? Did I miss someone?

SP - Urena, Chen, Straily, Alcantara, Richards, Lopez, Ca. Smith (7)

RHP - Barraclough, Brigham, M. Gonzalez, Graves, Guerrero, E. Hernandez, Meyer, T. Kinley, Steckenrider, Wittgren, Yamamoto (11)

LHP - Conley, Garcia, Peters, Quijada (4)

C - Realmuto (1)

IF - Anderson, Bostick, Castro, Cooper, Diaz, Dietrich, O’Brien, Prado, Riddle, Rojas, Schales, Twine (12)

OF -Brinson, Dean, Harrison, B. Lee, Sierra (5)
                      =40

Notable DFA/Rule 5 Exposure:
                      P - O’Grady, Rucinski, Cloyd, Del Pozo, Guerra, Needy, Poteet, J. Kinley
                      C - Holaday, Nola, Wallach, Telis
                      IF - Twine, Rivera
                      OF - Ortega, Galloway, Norwood

Don’t need to be protected: Beggs, Dugger, Eveld, Gallen, Guzman (I think… obviously he's a lock if not), D. Lee, Mills, Neidert

(Hill mentioned Twine specifically in a recent Miami Herald article, so I included him over Ortega as the final spot.*)

Practically, I think we all expect some of... Barraclough and/or Conley traded, that Straily and Dietrich will be traded or outright DFA'd, Castro traded the second they can get out of the money, maybe Prado is straight DFA'd, and some of Meyer/Kinley/Bostick/Twine/B. Lee aren't protected as they aren't really world beaters.

There are practically probably 4-5 open spots here once some of those decisions are made. That should give them room for a Rule V pick, a free agent OF (hopefully two), a veteran backup catcher, and whoever else they'd like to add.

They have some room to work with. At least they have improved overall depth to the point where we're not looking at 10 spots being open and we say "they protected who?"
                      Not sure about Guzman. Saw 2 places that said he had to be protected

Doubt Twine is protected. Bostick/Kinley/Meyer/Graves could be DFA. They will need 1(Maybe 2 spots) for the Rule 5

The "PLAN" should come together when JT is figured out

- - - - - - - - - -

Plan is to Tender DD and Straily then try to trade them for something. Money is NOT an issue however they think they have enough SP depth. Straily,DD,Bearclaw,Conley,Castro are on the block AND they are listening on Urena too.

- - - - - - - - - -

As part of reshaping their amateur staff, the Marlins on Wednesday announced the hiring of Marti Wolever as senior advisor of amateur scouting, Mike Soper as regional supervisor and T.R. Lewis as special assignment scout.

Solid hires Wolever was the Phillies Assistant GM/Scouting Director for years until Amaro Jr threw him under the bus and Soper was Cleveland's Florida/PR scout(Lindor/Perez/lots of others)

Wolever likes athletes
                      Last edited by tjfla; 10-04-2018, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Ryan Lillie apparently a Reds player now. No idea on the move. Maybe a trade involving IFA money?
                        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                          Not sure about Guzman. Saw 2 places that said he had to be protected

Doubt Twine is protected. Bostick/Kinley/Meyer/Graves could be DFA. They will need 1(Maybe 2 spots) for the Rule 5

The "PLAN" should come together when JT is figured out

- - - - - - - - - -

Plan is to Tender DD and Straily then try to trade them for something. Money is NOT an issue however they think they have enough SP depth. Straily,DD,Bearclaw,Conley,Castro are on the block AND they are listening on Urena too.

- - - - - - - - - -

As part of reshaping their amateur staff, the Marlins on Wednesday announced the hiring of Marti Wolever as senior advisor of amateur scouting, Mike Soper as regional supervisor and T.R. Lewis as special assignment scout.

Solid hires Wolever was the Phillies Assistant GM/Scouting Director for years until Amaro Jr threw him under the bus and Soper was Cleveland's Florida/PR scout(Lindor/Perez/lots of others)

Wolever likes athletes
                          Urena strikes me as the last guy the team should consider trading. His durability/reliability is unsurpassed.

Dietrich will be DFA'd if the team doesn't believe he can be traded for an asset. Since they tried to trade him for the last few months, he may logically be dropped/
                          Last edited by Lee Stone; 10-06-2018, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Lots of dead weight there in that 40-man - damn near all of it.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                            Ryan Lillie apparently a Reds player now. No idea on the move. Maybe a trade involving IFA money?
                            Yes. The amount hasn't been reported. My flyer is 500,000. I'm not all that excited about VV, but building IFA money seems like a good strategy. Other guys I would consider selling: Gallen, Puckett, Dugger, and Sierra.

Comment

Random, but i wonder if we could buy low on a guy like Miguel Sano after the season he just had and the legal trouble he just got in. No idea what theyd want or if theyd even want to sell low just to get rid of him, but its worth a look. Depending on the price we would get him for 3 years of team control and gives us a desperately needed power bat and maybe he can regain his form from 2 years ago and give us some production at 1b.

Comment

Working...
                              X