This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    We dont really have a need for more SP but im always in favor of acquiring talent when the value is at its lowest. Maybe something like Dietrich and Rojas for him considering they have a need at SS and maybe 2b now that Gregorius needs TJ surgery. Dietrich I think would be a good fit in yankee stadium.

- - - - - - - - - -

Thats a pretty significant development. Man, if we lose him to the orioles at this point it would be hard to take. They are a mess pretty much throughout the entire organization from the players, the fact that they dont have a manager or front office, and their owner kind of sucks. As hard as it is to believe, they are also significantly behind us in their rebuild. I think 1 more trade for another million in IFA money will get it done for all 3 of the guys. They make us look like a well oiled machine in comparison.

- - - - - - - - - -

Some long overdue 40 man roster purging today. Tyler Cloyd might have been the worst mlb pitcher ive ever seen for the marlins, which is impressive cause there has been a lot of shit coming out of our bullpen over the years.
    You can never have enough pitching.

Comment

I think we're good on pitching for next year aside from taking a flier on 2-3 relievers, but I think we really need to go hard after some veteran bats on 1 year deals or 1 year with option for 2nd year. It's what we should have done more of last offseason. Maybin was a good move. Id really be interested in what Daniel Murphy and Donaldson will command on a 1 year deal or if a team will be willing to go multiple years with them. Donaldson especially given his track record but down and injury plagued year. Also, if we sell off some arbitration eligible guys like Straily and Dietrich that can clear some money for some lineup additions.

Or if we keep Dietrich, I think him and a guy like Steve Pearce would be a phenomenal platoon at 1b, a position where we have almost nothing for next year essentially. Hell, even Curtis Granderson would be a nice addition just so that we dont have to rush the prospects. Thats the most important thing in my opinion, get quality veterans that you might be able to sell off at the deadline and prioritize the development of prospects for 2020/21.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also please god just acquire anyone at SS for next year. I cant take Riddle or Rojas getting everyday AB's anymore. I wish they took my advice and went after Profar last year.

- - - - - - - - - -

Completely agree. I think we need to go after 2 vets minimum for that lineup either at 1b/3b and a corner OF spot
      They want a LHB with LoMo the top choice. Likely pick up a bat in the Rule 5 as well

- - - - - - - - - -

We dont really have a need for more SP but im always in favor of acquiring talent when the value is at its lowest. Maybe something like Dietrich and Rojas for him considering they have a need at SS and maybe 2b now that Gregorius needs TJ surgery. Dietrich I think would be a good fit in yankee stadium.

- - - - - - - - - -

Thats a pretty significant development. Man, if we lose him to the orioles at this point it would be hard to take. They are a mess pretty much throughout the entire organization from the players, the fact that they dont have a manager or front office, and their owner kind of sucks. As hard as it is to believe, they are also significantly behind us in their rebuild. I think 1 more trade for another million in IFA money will get it done for all 3 of the guys. They make us look like a well oiled machine in comparison.

- - - - - - - - - -

Some long overdue 40 man roster purging today. Tyler Cloyd might have been the worst mlb pitcher ive ever seen for the marlins, which is impressive cause there has been a lot of shit coming out of our bullpen over the years.
      They are still looking to add more IFA pool money. DD/Straily/RP/minor league guys. Hearing 1 more trade is like 99% likely(thinking DD especially with Tino likely gonna be on coaching staff) and they might have another trade for a minor leaguer but they are waiting on that

Comment

fish16 thinks we don’t need any more starting pitching.

He’s a funny guy.

Comment

Yeah I agree with him we have a lot of candidates, but there also isn't one guy I can say 3 years from now, yeah that guy will definitely be in the rotation. The priority should be compiling talent at any and all positions.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
            Yeah I agree with him we have a lot of candidates, but there also isn't one guy I can say 3 years from now, yeah that guy will definitely be in the rotation. The priority should be compiling talent at any and all positions.
            Ya I agree, you always want to add talent. And im not saying that we have 5 sure fire SP's that will definitely be in our rotation going forward. Im saying that we have a lot of options that we have to evaluate next year and need to throw out there and see who sticks. As of right now next year alone between guys we already have in the majors or guys we could realistically see called up next year we have Urena, Straily, Alcantara, Lopez, Richards, Neidert, Gallen, Caleb Smith, Merandy Gonzalez, Peters, Yamamoto, Dugger. And that's before the next wave of guys in 2-3 years like Rogers, garrett, Guzman, and Edward Cabrera. Now, all of those prospects might fucking suck and a few of them will almost assuredly flame out, but we need to evaluate and see what we have next year so we can evaluate our roster moving forward, especially in a year where we arent intending on contending. You can never have enough pitching and id love to see us make a smart move and buy low on anybody with the talent of Sonny Gray, but we also have this wave of guys who are mlb ready and need to evaluate for the future. We're gonna suck next year anyways so we need to treat it as an evaluation year of young guys throughout the organization.
            Last edited by fish16; 10-13-2018, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Quick clarification on rule 5 guys and being on the 40 man- do graves and hernandez have to now stay on the 40 man for good or risk a team claiming them or now that we kept them for a year are we allowed to remove them from the 40 man? Pretty sure they have to stay on the 40 but just looking for clarification.
              Last edited by fish16; 10-13-2018, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Another guy who I think would make a lot of sense on a 1-2 year deal would be mccutchen. Id be interested to see his market given that he's still productive but hes now older and obviously has fallen off a lot from his peak. id love a 1 year, 10 million deal for him or 2 years 16 or something like that. Regardless of who it is, i think we need to sign at least 1 starting OF, another veteran 4th Of type for insurance like Maybin last year, and a cheap 1b platoon type option. Pencil Brinson and Dean in the lineup to see what we have in the other 2 OF spots and sign a couple middle relievers for some relief depth and to prevent having to rush prospects to fill minor MLB bullpen spots and run it back next year.

Comment

Quick clarification on rule 5 guys and being on the 40 man- do graves and hernandez have to now stay on the 40 man for good or risk a team claiming them or now that we kept them for a year are we allowed to remove them from the 40 man? Pretty sure they have to stay on the 40 but just looking for clarification.
                  They are just like other guys on the 40 man now. They are on the 40 man but u can DFA them and try to outright them to get them off the 40 man. They do NOT have to be offered back to the team they were picked from

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                    fish16 thinks we don’t need any more starting pitching.

He’s a funny guy.
                    I can see this both ways.

In the longterm, yes, because there are no 1 or 2s coming (maybe Rogers/Garret bust out next year), but for 2019 they don't really need any. Urena, Alcantara, Ca. Smith, Richards, Lopez, Brigham, and eventually Neidert, Gallen, and maybe Guzman and Yamamoto are all worth giving innings to, to see what they got. Chen and Straily can be innings eaters to help protect them earlier in the season.

They definitely need some longterm high end pitching, but they don't need more starting pitching next year. Even if they are all #4 SP or 3rd best RHP relievers on a contending team, they need to find out which guys fit that mold and there is only one way to do that. Let them throw.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                      I can see this both ways.

In the longterm, yes, because there are no 1 or 2s coming (maybe Rogers/Garret bust out next year), but for 2019 they don't really need any. Urena, Alcantara, Ca. Smith, Richards, Lopez, Brigham, and eventually Neidert, Gallen, and maybe Guzman and Yamamoto are all worth giving innings to, to see what they got. Chen and Straily can be innings eaters to help protect them earlier in the season.

They definitely need some longterm high end pitching, but they don't need more starting pitching next year. Even if they are all #4 SP or 3rd best RHP relievers on a contending team, they need to find out which guys fit that mold and there is only one way to do that. Let them throw.
                      This. If they can get a #1/#2 SP then do it but otherwise we dont need anymore SP next year. Tons of choices for 2019 and hope a few show well.

Alcantara and Neidert can become #2. Rogers/Garrett could be #1/#2 eventually but the rest are #3 and lower types. Guzman/Yamamoto are still RP types to me(Could change next year tho)

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                        This. If they can get a #1/#2 SP then do it but otherwise we dont need anymore SP next year. Tons of choices for 2019 and hope a few show well.

Alcantara and Neidert can become #2. Rogers/Garrett could be #1/#2 eventually but the rest are #3 and lower types. Guzman/Yamamoto are still RP types to me(Could change next year tho)
                        I mean some rose colored glasses there, but if say this happens...

# 4 SP - Neidert, Urena, one of Lopez/Gallen/Richards

Killer RHP Bullpen - Alcantara, Guzman, Steckenrider, Wittgren, Gallen/Richards/Yamamoto/Eveld

Killer LHP Bullpen - Ca. Smith, Conley, one of Peters/Quijada/Garcia works out

I'm pretty good with that entering 2020, with presumably Chen eating some innings still and the team being able to afford a pricy FA SP to put on the top. A side note here, that Realmuto could turn into a young # 1/2 SP pretty easily to add to this.

If some of the guys turn into better SP, great. But I'm not counting on that until it happens.

They should be good to in 2019 though. Let them throw, see what happens.

Comment

Apparently Girardi has withdrawn his name from the Reds managing job.

Comment

Press conference being held with jeter and hill Monday. Gotta think it’s victor gictor

Comment

Press conference being held with jeter and hill Monday. Gotta think it’s victor gictor
                              Is that a third Mesa brother?

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                                Is that a third Mesa brother?
                                Haha yes

Comment

Working...
                                X