This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lou View Post
    Martin seems interesting, this is a 2 year old scouting blurb - An extremely athletic player, Martin went 20th overall to the A’s in 2015 despite some questions about his ability to hit. And not much else has changed. He continues to look like a potential gold glove fielder at shortstop but he appears more and more destined to be a future utility player thanks to his weak offensive contributions. He has a little bit of speed but Martin doesn’t hit for average, he doesn’t walk much and he doesn’t have any power. At 23, he hit this in AA last year - .300/.368/.439 (.357 BABIP), 25/35 SB, 8.6% BB rate

Gambling on a guy with 1 amazing tool and first round pedigree seems like a solid move. Problem is the Marlins have Rojas, Riddle, Rivera, and Prado so there is some major redundancy there at the MLB level. They would need to shed some guys if they think he has upside, but that's not a big deal as Rivera and Prado can go quick.

I could also see them taking a lefty reliever. Quijada can stay in AAA and they could open with Chen/Smith in the rotation, and need a third bullpen lefty after Conley and Garcia.
    Ya Brito/Gomez/Arauz have higher ceiling than Martin but are 20/21 and NOT close at all. Martin could be a UT guy replacing Rivera in 2019

From what I heard they like the "Young" LRP they got in Quijada/Kinley/Lee and think any of them could be in Majors at some point. I could see them signing a LRP vet or 2 to minor league deals

I would go
    1st Rd-SS Richie Martin
    2nd Rd-C Dom Nunez OR 1B Dermis Garcia

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
      [the Marlins have Rojas, Riddle, Rivera, and Prado so there is some major redundancy there at the MLB level.[/I]

There's some major deficiency! I'd love to see all four of those guys disappear.
      Rojas is a very good 25th man. Until they have someone better, he's a capable fill in starter and good bench player.

Riddle is fantastic defensively and had a .266 BABIP last year. He also hit a solidish .248/.304/.403 slash against RHP. He could be a sneaky solid starting player if he takes a small step forward offensively, at least against RHP. He should absolutely open the year as a hard starter against all right handers and see if they get lucky. They also control him through 2023.

- - - - - - - - - -

But Prado and Rivera can go tomorrow. So can Wallach and Galloway. They need across the board 40 man upgrades. Those guys do nothing for the team now or later.

Comment

• Mets and LAA gonna help us out

Mets and Cleveland talking Yan Gomes for Mets Outfielder trade

LAA want either Grandal OR Ramos

Comment

• Martin was a UF grad and I'd have to imagine there would be some mutual interest (not that his feelings on it matter). I'm also a big Roniel Raudes fan and I think he will end up being a successful big league pitcher.
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
            Martin was a UF grad and I'd have to imagine there would be some mutual interest (not that his feelings on it matter). I'm also a big Roniel Raudes fan and I think he will end up being a successful big league pitcher.
            Agreed on Raudes and Miami has asked on him a few times when Boston called on our guys. Just not sure he is ready and actually think he might be hurt. If I am Miami I go after a SS/UT guy in 1st Rd then in 2nd Rd take a flier on someone like Nunez/Garcia/Raudes-guy with talent but not close to ready but could be very good

Roniel Raudes:

Heading into 2018, Ronnie Raudes was an intriguing young pitcher, with a potential big season in works.

However, after a injury-riddled and inconsistent season, Raudes is one of the biggest question marks in the Boston system.

In 11 starts at High-A, Raudes went 2-5 with a 3.67 ERA, striking out just 35 in 54 innings, while opponents hit at a .276 clip off of him. Raudes’ season ended in June due to elbow inflammation, a bad sign for a young pitcher.

Raudes’ struggles, as well as his injury, are a major cause for concern for his development, especially after a productive, important 2017 season for his development.

2019 will be big for Raudes, from both a health and production standpoint, especially after 2018’s misstep.
            Last edited by tjfla; 11-21-2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Ya, Raudes doesnt strike me as anything more than organizational depth and he has never pitched above A+ ball so its gonna be like what we did with Graves and Hernandez where we kind of have to hide him all year.

- - - - - - - - - -

Only guys in that list that intrigue me are richie martin and jhonathan diaz but diaz is super inexperienced in the minors so he would be a guy we would also be hiding all year and could waste a year of development.

- - - - - - - - - -

also, gatewood was the kid who was hitting bombs in that home run derby when he was in high school, right?

Comment

• If Cleveland trades Gomes, they have bad catchers.

McKenzie and Chang is a similar package to Alvarez and Martin(HOU), so maybe that doubly helps out the Marlins find the best deal possible for JT. He makes a lot a lot of sense on that team without Gomes and they have enough juice in their system to do it while keeping Jones and Bradley who they definitely need to keep. They can live without an arm and Chang with the pitching they have and Lindor. They have other arms, super young middle infielders, etc. to add as 3-5 players. Just saying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                  DD was a real solid major leaguer until we put him in fucking left field.

He was Starlin Castro (for a LOT less money) when we had him at 2B/3B.
                  Thats cause starlin castro is also a pretty meh player. Dietrich was an average player at best who could play a bunch of positions, which does have its value, but doesnt really play any of them well. He also has a .650 OPS and a 54/10 K/BB ratio after the allstar break in nearly 200 ab's. The thing to be pissed about is fucking up the trade deadline, not dumping him now. He likely had no market because his type of player is pretty easy to find for the minimum team control salary for a guy you develop.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                  If Cleveland trades Gomes, they have bad catchers.

McKenzie and Chang is a similar package to Alvarez and Martin(HOU), so maybe that doubly helps out the Marlins find the best deal possible for JT. He makes a lot a lot of sense on that team without Gomes and they have enough juice in their system to do it while keeping Jones and Bradley who they definitely need to keep. They can live without an arm and Chang with the pitching they have and Lindor. They have other arms, super young middle infielders, etc. to add as 3-5 players. Just saying.
                  Give me mckenzie and nolan jones and a flier on a low level guy and i take that and run so long as Mckenzie's medicals check out.

- - - - - - - - - -

cleveland seems to be rebuilding or at least severely overhauling their roster tho from what ive read. I think theyd be more in the market for a catcher like Mccann rather than selling the farm for JT.

- - - - - - - - - -

Am i the only one who doesnt get why Cheng in the indians system is so highly rated as a prospect? Seems like a guy destined to be a AAAA player because of a lack of plate discipline.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    Thats cause starlin castro is also a pretty meh player. Dietrich was an average player at best who could play a bunch of positions, which does have its value, but doesnt really play any of them well. He also has a .650 OPS and a 54/10 K/BB ratio after the allstar break in nearly 200 ab's. The thing to be pissed about is fucking up the trade deadline, not dumping him now. He likely had no market because his type of player is pretty easy to find for the minimum team control salary for a guy you develop.

- - - - - - - - - -

Give me mckenzie and nolan jones and a flier on a low level guy and i take that and run so long as Mckenzie's medicals check out.

- - - - - - - - - -

cleveland seems to be rebuilding or at least severely overhauling their roster tho from what ive read. I think theyd be more in the market for a catcher like Mccann rather than selling the farm for JT.
                    Cleveland is near guaranteed to make the playoffs with the rest of the AL Central. I think they are just smart and maximizing resources. They want to trade Kluber also a year early right now too, again smart, to max out the value. They could really get younger and not take a step back if they do it right.

Just saying, they have pitching, they have a shortstop, they don't have a catcher for years without Gomes. Cashing in McKenzie/Chang and friends for Realmuto makes a lot of sense to me for them. Realmuto is so cheap they could still sign two pretty significant $8-10 million a year free agents.

Probably not the best deal the Marlins could get as LAD/HOU/COL/OAK/ATL have more depth, or one better prospect, to trade, but McKenzie and Chang would be a good place to start.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, I am operating under the assumption anyone acquiring Realmuto will give him the 5/$80-85 or 6/$100 deal he deserves so it's not just getting two years*

Comment

Cleveland is near guaranteed to make the playoffs with the rest of the AL Central. I think they are just smart and maximizing resources. They want to trade Kluber also a year early right now too, again smart, to max out the value. They could really get younger and not take a step back if they do it right.

Just saying, they have pitching, they have a shortstop, they don't have a catcher for years without Gomes. Cashing in McKenzie/Chang and friends for Realmuto makes a lot of sense to me for them. Realmuto is so cheap they could still sign two pretty significant $8-10 million a year free agents.

Probably not the best deal the Marlins could get as LAD/HOU/COL/OAK/ATL have more depth, or one better prospect, to trade, but McKenzie and Chang would be a good place to start.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, I am operating under the assumption anyone acquiring Realmuto will give him the 5/$80-85 or 6/$100 deal he deserves so it's not just getting two years*
                      fair enough, i hadnt looked into their situation enough to see their plan for the offseason, had just heard that they were making everyone available. Good point with that division though as the only possible threat to them is if the twins rebound and guys like Buxton and Sano get back to what they were.

I love mckenzie as a pitcher but id want nolan jones as an number 2 in any deal. I just really dislike Cheng as a prospect.

and ya, JT in my opinion will be given an opportunity to at least negotiate with a team prior to a trade so a team knows if they can re-sign him long term if they deal for them. Most likely i see him being traded and then immediately extended after giving the acquiring team a negotiating window.

Id rank the options as Houston, Braves, Nationals if they are willing to give up Robles, Dodgers, Oakland, Colorado. Houston is just so perfect because you can get a legit top prospect in Yordan Alvarez while also getting a very deep package as a result of the Astros almost assuredly taking Whitley and Tucker off the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                        fair enough, i hadnt looked into their situation enough to see their plan for the offseason, had just heard that they were making everyone available. Good point with that division though as the only possible threat to them is if the twins rebound and guys like Buxton and Sano get back to what they were.

I love mckenzie as a pitcher but id want nolan jones as an number 2 in any deal. I just really dislike Cheng as a prospect.

and ya, JT in my opinion will be given an opportunity to at least negotiate with a team prior to a trade so a team knows if they can re-sign him long term if they deal for them. Most likely i see him being traded and then immediately extended after giving the acquiring team a negotiating window.

Id rank the options as Houston, Braves, Nationals if they are willing to give up Robles, Dodgers, Oakland, Colorado. Houston is just so perfect because you can get a legit top prospect in Yordan Alvarez while also getting a very deep package as a result of the Astros almost assuredly taking Whitley and Tucker off the table.
                        Nats signed Kurt Suzuki, that ship has sailed.

I think the Braves, Dodgers, Astros, A's (Luzardo/Murphy), and Rockies (Rogers/Pint) all equally have the right collection of guys to get it done. Cleveland maybe, but they are more of a fallback.

Comment

Nats signed Kurt Suzuki, that ship has sailed.

I think the Braves, Dodgers, Astros, A's (Luzardo/Murphy), and Rockies (Rogers/Pint) all equally have the right collection of guys to get it done. Cleveland maybe, but they are more of a fallback.
                          I dont think Suzuki 100% takes them out but it certainly moves them down the list of teams who need a catcher desperately. Suzuki is a nice backup or platoon option who is well suited to fill in for some time at starter if a guy goes down but i dont think they are thinking of him as this surefire #1 catcher. His pitch framing from what i have read is horrendous and gives back the relative offense he provides from the catchers position. I think them getting him takes away any chance we also got kieboom in the deal, but I could still see us trying to get that 1 great piece in any JT deal and unless Whitley or Tucker is involved, Robles is just about the best you can get prospect wise.

Im not a fan of the A's guys either even though I like Luzardo cause I also went to Douglas, I just think their secondary prospects are a little lacking. Sean murphy scares me in a trade. I see he has potential but I think he has pretty high flame out risk as well too because last year was his first year really playing well and he's already 24.

Maybe if we just sell out and go all top end pitching for JT in Puk and Luzardo + a lesser bat but I dont see Oakland doing that. Also, Oakland strikes me as the only team that would acquire JT with no intention or requirement to sign him long term so that might lessen what they will offer.

Comment

• So Dillon Peters got traded on waivers

Marlins got this guy from the Angels - https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...801&position=P

Looks like a maybe reliever that doesn't need to go on the 40 man for awhile as a 2017 draft pick.

Glad they got something.

Comment

So Dillon Peters got traded on waivers

Marlins got this guy from the Angels - https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...801&position=P

Looks like a maybe reliever that doesn't need to go on the 40 man for awhile as a 2017 draft pick.

Glad they got something.
                              Shame about Peters ... once he moved from minors to majors, he started walking hitters. Lopez and Richards: same damn thing. Richards walk rate doubled once he reached the majors. Lopez almost the same. What is it? Why can't they relax and be the same pitcher they were at Jacksonville? Funny thing is, both Lopez and Richards maintained their strikeout rates. Add note: And Brigham! He came up and lost it completely.
                              Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-21-2018, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                                Shame about Peters ... once he moved from minors to majors, he started walking hitters. Lopez and Richards: same damn thing. Richards walk rate doubled once he reached the majors. Lopez almost the same. What is it? Why can't they relax and be the same pitcher they were at Jacksonville? Funny thing is, both Lopez and Richards maintained their strikeout rates. Add note: And Brigham! He came up and lost it completely.
                                you're really gonna ask that question? we've literally been telling you this for months. Guys can get by with lesser stuff against lesser or younger competition but cant against better competition who has a better grasp on the strike zone and wont swing at bullshit. Its why we continue to tell you that numbers obviously do play a part in evaluating a prospect but stuff plays a huge part as well. Lopez and Richards are what they are. Lopez is better than Richards but neither is going to ever be a top of the rotation arm just because they dont throw hard enough. And thats coming from me who thinks Lopez is gonna be a really good rotation guy for the next several years.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                                So Dillon Peters got traded on waivers

Glad they got something.
                                Stinks that we rushed peters but this is what happens when you completely ignore building depth in the system. Rather than calling up another ML ready arm in 2017 when we were playing well in august the only option we had was Peters who had barely pitched in AA.

This guy and Anderson just seem like Denbo telling scouts to go out and find possible reliever gems so we can deal guys who need 40 man roster spots. I also love that we clearly have a type of pitcher we go after: guys who throw strikes and dont walk a lot of guys. Seems like we've gotten a ton of those guys since loria decided to sell.

Comment

Working...
                                X