X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lou View Post
    Forgetting Castro

Chen - $16 in deferred (its a higher calculation for luxury tax, but who cares with that)
    Prado - $15
    Castro - $11.8 + $1 buyout if not optioned (lets round this to $13)
    Rojas, Conley, and Urena - Call them $6 combined
    Everything else is club controlled for the minimum. Call this $12
    =$62 million
    Realmuto adds $6-7
    Straily adds $4-5
    Fuck i forgot about Castro, you are correct. I think he ends up only costing 1/2 to 2/3 of that amount though as im sure we can at the very least dump the remainder of his deal at the deadline. Seems like we as fans better start looking towards 2020 free agency and who is available there as we will seemingly only have chen under contract long term and he will be in the last year of his deal.

If you add guys like Murphy or McCutchen or similar guys who fill needs to 1 year/ around 7-10 million I will really be excited about the future of the organization from the standpoint of the quality depth we seem to be building as well as the clearing out of any inhibiting long term salaries that a small market team cant afford to have long term. At the very least in a few years we will know if denbo is at all good at his job considering he will have what essentially amounts to an empty cupboard salary wise.

- - - - - - - - - -

Spots that are still empty for next year:

C: if we dont get one back for JT and a backup veteran C as well.
    1b: O'Brien and Cooper will compete but they can also play corner OF so might make sense to add one of these veteran types who are being devalued
    2 corner OF's- have o'brien and cooper and dean who can play these positions, but they need to add a veteran starter as well as another maybin type 4th OF.
    RP's- a few fliers

Thats about it at this point.

Comment

• This team is somehow starting to look worse than last year’s.

Comment

• I’m speechless at just reading Deitrich is being DFA’d.

Being a Marlins fan sucks.

Comment

• So long Dietrich, hello Tino. Welcome to the coaching staff!

New prediction on Realmuto: he opens the season with Marlins.
          Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-21-2018, 05:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            I’m speechless at just reading Deitrich is being DFA’d.

I believe he is on waivers, so he could be traded. He's not great (.8 WAR, even if he was much better 16-17) so I don't think this moves the needle much, but when you're protecting people like Wallach and Rivera, it's frustrating.

Comment

I’m speechless at just reading Deitrich is being DFA’d.

being a marlins fan does suck, but not because derek fucking dietrich was dfa'd. give me a break. He's a decent enough player but can we stop acting like we cut anything other than an average at best player in his 3rd year of arbitration who's style of player is being devalued by every single team across the league as evidenced by the free agent market last year and soon to be this year.
              Last edited by fish16; 11-21-2018, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• So this is where they are today:

SP - Urena, Chen, Straily, Alcantara, Lopez (5)

RHP - N. Andersion, Brigham, M. Gonzalez, Graves, Guerrero, Guzman, E. Hernandez, Holloway, J. Fernandez, Keller, T. Kinley, Richards, Steckenrider, Wittgren, Yamamoto (15)

LHP - Conley, Ca. Smith, Garcia, Quijada (4)

C - Realmuto, Wallach (2)

IF - Anderson, Castro, Cooper, Diaz, O’Brien, Prado, Riddle, Rivera, Rojas (9)

OF -Brinson, Dean, Galloway, Harrison, Sierra (5)
                =40

Very heavy with 24/40 being pitchers.

The hitters need so much work. Diaz, Monte, and Sierra pretty much have to be in AA/AAA, Dean should be in AAA, Rivera, Galloway, and Wallach should be DFA'd, and Realmuto will be traded.

If they trade Straily, move J. Fernandez to 60 day-DL, and replace all of Rivera, Galloway, Wallach, and Realmuto with new people, there might be 6 new bats on the 40 man by opening day, and a bunch on the 25 man:

You know they'll try and keep Prado at 3B, so it's probably this in their minds right now:

C - ________, Wallach/Replacement
                1B - O'Brien Or Cooper
                2B - Castro
                SS - Rojas Or Riddle
                3B - Prado
                LF - Dean/Replacement
                CF - Brinson, _______
                RF - Anderson

- - - - - - - - - -

Looking at all the DFAs, this one seems interesting. Someone else mentioned this too:

Jordan Patterson - https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=15119&position=OF

FG - Patterson’s lever length creates too much swing and miss for him to profile in a corner-outfield spot and he doesn’t run well enough for center field. He mashes righties, though, and should find consistent employment as the larger half of a platoon in either outfield corner. He can also play first base.

A lefty 1B/OF that has always hit at every level. Definitely worth a flyer on with a minor league deal.

Comment

• I mentioned Patterson yesterday. He seems like another Cooper/Bour type who would be worth taking a flier on. As far as guys like Holloway, Rivera, Wallach, Galloway, Graves, etc, i think keeping them has more to do with not needing the spots until the rule 5 and waiting until we actually have a player to replace them on the 40 rather than just leaving some spots open.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                  So long Dietrich, hello Tino. Welcome to the coaching staff!

theres 0 chance he's with the marlins to open the season.

Comment

• DD was a real solid major leaguer until we put him in fucking left field.

He was Starlin Castro (for a LOT less money) when we had him at 2B/3B.

Comment

DD was a real solid major leaguer until we put him in fucking left field.

He was Starlin Castro (for a LOT less money) when we had him at 2B/3B.
                      He is definitely astronomically more playable at 1B/2B/3B than the OF. Hopefully he ends up being traded so it's not a big deal. I still don't think it moves the needle much either way, but I do think it's dumb to protect Wallach, Rivera, Holloway, etc. over him.

Comment

• Not really sure why DD was DFA this early. Can DFA Wallach,Rivera,Galloway,Graves,Kinley still. Wouldnt be surprised if we traded DD/Peters for low level player

Holloway is still the big ??. From sound of Denbo it seems they are gonna be aggressive with him in 2019 and if he sucks then just DFA him but ALOT of people were impressed by him after the TJ

- - - - - - - - - -

This is the Jonathan Arauz(SS Houston)

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...tting/2018/ALL

ALOT of guys Miami have been "interested" in are around in the Rule 5

SS Richie Martin(Oak)
                        SS Arauz(Houston)
                        SS Brito/Gomez(Philly)
                        1B Josh Ockimey(Boston)
                        1B Jake Gatewood(Milw)
                        1B Dermis Garcia (NYY)
                        RHP Roniel Raudes (Boston)
                        RHP Riley Ferrell (Hou)
                        LHP Jhonthan Diaz (Boston)
                        C Dom Nunez(Col)

None of them are really ML Ready however all of them have talent. I would pick Richie Martin from Oakland and let him be our UT guy in 2019.

Doubtful we pick any arms since we have tons already

I could see us go SS in 1st Rd to be UT guy over Rivera in 2019 and 1B or C in 2nd Rd to take a look at in ST

- - - - - - - - - -

Staff

SP-Urena/Chen/Smith/Pablo/Richards/Alcantara
                        RP-Conley/Steck/Wittgren/Garcia/Guerrero

AAA SP-Hernandez
                        AAA RP-Merandy/Anderson/Kinley/Brigham/Graves/Keller/Yamamoto/Quijada

"Others"
                        SP-Holloway/Gallen/Neidert/Dugger
                        RP-Guzman/Lee/J Kinley/Mills/Vets Signed to minors deals

60 Day
                        RP-Fernandez

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                        So long Dietrich, hello Tino. Welcome to the coaching staff!

Tino should be the Assistant Hitting Coach by Monday
                        Last edited by tjfla; 11-21-2018, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• 60 Day
                          RP-Fernandez

If you take a close look at Julian Fernandez' scouting report and results, he seems to be a clone of Jorge Guzman. Same age and velocity with a little better control. Given the TJ time table, he could be throwing in Jupiter by June.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                            60 Day
                            RP-Fernandez

If you take a close look at Julian Fernandez' scouting report and results, he seems to be a clone of Jorge Guzman. Same age and velocity with a little better control. Given the TJ time table, he could be throwing in Jupiter by June.
                            Fernandez is a Tayron Guerrero clone. He should be on rehab and up by June. Fernandez is still a "Rule 5" guy so he has to be in the Majors for 90 Days in 2019

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              ALOT of guys Miami have been "interested" in are around in the Rule 5

SS Richie Martin(Oak)
                              SS Arauz(Houston)
                              SS Brito/Gomez(Philly)
                              1B Josh Ockimey(Boston)
                              1B Jake Gatewood(Milw)
                              RHP Roniel Raudes (Boston)
                              RHP Riley Ferrell (Hou)
                              LHP Jhonthan Diaz (Boston)

None of them are really ML Ready however all of them have talent. I would pick Richie Martin from Oakland and let him be our UT guy in 2019.

Doubtful we pick any arms since we have tons already
                              Martin seems interesting, this is a 2 year old scouting blurb - An extremely athletic player, Martin went 20th overall to the A’s in 2015 despite some questions about his ability to hit. And not much else has changed. He continues to look like a potential gold glove fielder at shortstop but he appears more and more destined to be a future utility player thanks to his weak offensive contributions. He has a little bit of speed but Martin doesn’t hit for average, he doesn’t walk much and he doesn’t have any power. At 23, he hit this in AA last year - .300/.368/.439 (.357 BABIP), 25/35 SB, 8.6% BB rate

Gambling on a guy with 1 amazing tool and first round pedigree seems like a solid move. Problem is the Marlins have Rojas, Riddle, Rivera, and Prado so there is some major redundancy there at the MLB level. They would need to shed some guys if they think he has upside, but that's not a big deal as Rivera and Prado can go quick.

I could also see them taking a lefty reliever. Quijada can stay in AAA and they could open with Chen/Smith in the rotation, and need a third bullpen lefty after Conley and Garcia.

Comment

• Fernandez is a Tayron Guerrero clone.

Both very tall and slendor with high end velocity, but Fernandez is six years younger.

the Marlins have Rojas, Riddle, Rivera, and Prado so there is some major redundancy there at the MLB level.

There's some major deficiency! I'd love to see all four of those guys disappear. I would pencil Richie Martin into the Marlin opening day lineup right now ... and take delight in imagining the team might steal a base in 2019.
                                Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-21-2018, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X