This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    I wouldnt be surprised if we were that team this year actually. Take a young SS like Arauz or Philly MIF and let them be the UT guy over Rivera. All 4 could be ML starters down the line but are only 20/21. We like all of them and have asked for them in earlier trades

- - - - - - - - - -

If Kaprelian is available I would have no issue taking a flier on him as a 2nd Rd Rule 5 guy. Put him on the 60 Day and then call Kaprelian(if healthy) and Fernandez up in June like they did this year
    Im all for it as well. I think the best bet in rule 5 guys is with relievers and corner OF/1b power bats but im cool with burning a roster spot on a guy with potential that should be in the lower minors. As long as the guy actually has potential and not a guy like brett graves. This year is all about uncovering possible gems and evaluating our SP's for 2020 and beyond.

Comment

• SD just DFA Colin Rea/Spangenberg/Cordoba

Comment

• You mean former marlins legend Colin Rea? How does the order work for rule 5? Same as mlb draft where it goes in inverse order?

- - - - - - - - - -

Im surprised we (or any other team in need of some power) didnt take a flier on the guy the padres sold to japan. He's been pretty good the last few years.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          You mean former marlins legend Colin Rea? How does the order work for rule 5? Same as mlb draft where it goes in inverse order?
          Yep Miami has #4 Overall. Same order as Draft UNLESS a team has 40 guys on roster than they get skipped

As for DFA

Miami has #1 Spot for NL teams

Means that any NL team like SD or Colorado(Patterson) we get 1st shot. If we want an AL teams guy we have to wait till all the AL teams get a shot then we get 1st choice out of NL teams

Problem is all a team has to do is make a trade and they can get guy over us.

It how SD got Brad Hand. We DFA him and SD had #1 choice in NL and got him

Comment

• Good to know on the claiming guys priority as i didnt know that. Hopefully we just keep churning through players and see what sticks. Take chances on talent like we did with Obrien and others.

Comment

• Gonna be a busy December for us

Rule 5 Options
              Pitchers-Diaz,Raudes(Probably others)
              SS-Arauz,Gomez,Brito(All 20/21 but higher ceiling than Rivera-all could be UT type in 2019)
              1B-Ockimey/Gatewood

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              Good to know on the claiming guys priority as i didnt know that. Hopefully we just keep churning through players and see what sticks. Take chances on talent like we did with Obrien and others.
              Ya if they wanted to take a flier on Patterson from Colorado he would go to us UNLESS another team made a trade for him. Same with Rea/Spangberger

- - - - - - - - - -

NEVERMIND on Kaprelian. Oakland just added him
              Last edited by tjfla; 11-20-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• who is this arauz guy youre talking about? all i see for him is a RP in the phillies organization. Kaprelian makes a ton of sense for many reasons though. Id love to see what we can do with him. But ya that makes they added him. I didnt understand him not being added.

- - - - - - - - - -

Cj cron just designated for assignment. Another low cost 1b option for us potentially

Comment

• Dietrich DFA'd.

Schales traded to Minnesota for AAA reliever Nick Anderson.

They must have thought Schales was going to be taken in the Rule 5 draft and decided to get something for him.

With Dietrich gone, the Marlins will certainly have to add someone that can provide power.
                  Last edited by fauowls44; 11-20-2018, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Thank God we DFA'd Dietrich to make room for Orlando Magic great Nick Anderson.

Comment

• Am I the only one that doesn't understand DFA'ing Dietrich? I mean he's going to make what? $4.2M? Come on......it's not as if he's a black hole out there - he's one of the few somewhat productive guys we have. There are several other guys you can dump who do nothing.

Comment

• wow we fucking DFA'd Dietrich? Youve gotta think the free agent market for non-stars will be cheap as hell this year.

- - - - - - - - - -

i guess one of the downfalls of building the depth back in the upper levels of the minors is having to part with guys in a 40 man roster crunch. Nick anderson is another really fucking interesting addition for Schales though. Id assume they knew he was gonna be picked and just got what they could for him. Nick anderson has great K numbers and control it seems so another good bullpen addition for a guy in schales who most of us hadnt heard of prior to this year. Seems like another Eveld type addition similar to how we got Barraclough. Pretty much good at everything except for clutch free throws. I think these kinds of guys are really easy to pick up and a lot more valuable than they are made out to be.

- - - - - - - - - -

Again, like the previous 40 man moves, it seems like we are churning through a lot of the old regime players like crazy. It seems like this front office, right or wrong, values defensive ability and versatility and dietrich just was not good defensively. Still surprising he couldnt at least get a bullpen arm from an AL team, but it seems again like we will be able to get a lot of cheap value at the end of free agency if we want to take some fliers to potentially flip at the deadline. Especially 1b and Corner OF types.

The trade deadline was such a missed opportunity this past year. Barraclough, Steck, Conley, Dietrich. Idk if the market actually wasnt there because as another team i would have thought all those guys were major regression candidates, but it seems like we missed at least a few big opportunities to get some better prospects. the barraclough situation ultimately was ok because we were able to get IFA money for Victor Victor, but still some missed opportunities.

- - - - - - - - - -

We need to really take some shots on lineup pieces though. McCutchen and Murphy on 1 year deals or 2 year deals with team option for the second year would be the perfect additions to give us veteran presences in the lineup, give us pieces to potentially flip at the deadline, and gives us guys to take up spots so we dont have to rush guys like Harrison or Diaz next year.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                        Am I the only one that doesn't understand DFA'ing Dietrich? I mean he's going to make what? $4.2M? Come on......it's not as if he's a black hole out there - he's one of the few somewhat productive guys we have. There are several other guys you can dump who do nothing.
                        For an AL team maybe, but i really think that kind of player is being severely devalued as baseball evolves. No defensive ability anywhere although technically he can play in a bunch of places. On another note, that marks the end of the marlins blue jays trade from after 2012 as Dietrich was technically who we got once we flipped escobar to the rays. What a god awful trade for both teams.

- - - - - - - - - -

Am i the only one who doesnt get why nick anderson is available for a guy like Schales? Its not like Schales doesnt need to immediately be put on their 40 man too and that trading Anderson clears a potential 40 man spot for their 40 man roster crunch. I also dont believe they have a good bullpen so i dont get that deal from the Twins perspective but good for us. If we simply got good value for a guy like schales then Denbo did a great job because he was a nothing prospect last year and getting a potential reliever for a few years is a great get. I really cant stress enough how good it is to get these prospects who are reliever only therefore lowering their value but they are still really quality relievers for a few years. Barraclough is one example, Eveld is soon to be another, hopefully anderson can be another. They really seem to be an undervalued type of player.

I also wonder how much of getting those types of relievers is a concerted effort to build a quality long term bullpen to balance with the fact that as of now we have a lot of SP depth but no real top SP prospect (unless you consider Alcantara to be that). We have quietly built a shit ton of long term bullpen depth between Steck, Conley, Wittgren, Eveld, Guzman, Alcantara if he doesnt stick in the rotation, Jarlin, Lee, Quijada, and then the other SP flameout guys who might be better suited to the bullpen like Merandy and others similarly situated. Might not be on purpose but it does at the very least allow us to maybe build a good all around pitching staff with a deep bullpen even if we have a cluster fuck of mid rotation potential guys prior to seeing who we get for JT.

- - - - - - - - - -

Question for lou- once we inevitably deal JT and either trade of DFA straily, how low is our payroll currently? Our only contracts would be Chen and Prado and the only guys even available for arbitration are Rojas, Conley, and Urena. That would be 35 million for Chen and Prado, maybe like another 7 million combined for the other 3 because Urena and Conley will be in their first year of arbitration, and then everyone else as of now on minimum team control deals. That would be 42 million + the remaining 20 roster spots at whatever the minimum team control salary is (i believe around 500k). That would be a payroll as of now of 52 million. I really hope they spend the money and sign some roster fillers to flip some more at the deadline and continue this organizational purge until we find a consistent winner.
                        Last edited by fish16; 11-20-2018, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• It's called being cheap AF.

- - - - - - - - - -

Am i the only one who doesnt get why nick anderson is available for a guy like Schales? Its not like Schales doesnt need to immediately be put on their 40 man too and that trading Anderson clears a potential 40 man spot for their 40 man roster crunch. I also dont believe they have a good bullpen so i dont get that deal from the Twins perspective but good for us. If we simply got good value for a guy like schales then Denbo did a great job because he was a nothing prospect last year and getting a potential reliever for a few years is a great get. I really cant stress enough how good it is to get these prospects who are reliever only therefore lowering their value but they are still really quality relievers for a few years. Barraclough is one example, Eveld is soon to be another, hopefully anderson can be another. They really seem to be an undervalued type of player.
                          Could it be that Anderson is a 28-year old reliever that has yet to make the big leagues? Who are you, Lee Stone?
                          Last edited by Nick; 11-20-2018, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• I question getting rid of Peters and not protecting Mills for an organization that has lower lefties right now.

However, if the idea is shifting Caleb Smith over, keeping Conley, and using Garcia, with Quijada the top backup in AAA, that makes some sense.

Holloway? What?

Hey they didn't protect Twine though!

- - - - - - - - - -

I also wonder how much of getting those types of relievers is a concerted effort to build a quality long term bullpen to balance with the fact that as of now we have a lot of SP depth but no real top SP prospect (unless you consider Alcantara to be that). We have quietly built a shit ton of long term bullpen depth between Steck, Conley, Wittgren, Eveld, Guzman, Alcantara if he doesnt stick in the rotation, Jarlin, Lee, Quijada, and then the other SP flameout guys who might be better suited to the bullpen like Merandy and others similarly situated. Might not be on purpose but it does at the very least allow us to maybe build a good all around pitching staff with a deep bullpen even if we have a cluster fuck of mid rotation potential guys prior to seeing who we get for JT.
                            Thees guys built the yankees, of course they are doing that. The Yankees have had the best bullpen in the league, cumulatively, the last three years

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                              It's called being cheap AF.

- - - - - - - - - -

Could it be that Anderson is 28-year old reliever that has yet to make the big leagues? Who are you, Lee Stone?
                              I would usually agree with this DFa'ing a guy who is only set to make 4 million and change and is a solid enough player, but i think the dietrich type of player (corner OF/1b guy who is not a plus anywhere defensively and is just a solid but not spectacular bat) is clearly being devalued around the league, especially as they get towards their later years in arbitration. I think this years free agency class for this type of player might make last years seem like a players market. You're seeing it already this year in guys who are better than Dietrich also being non-tendered like Bour, CJ Cron, and other similar decent bat, no glove players. If we dont reinvest this money in quality placeholders who we have a chance to flip at the deadline and instead rush our prospects again like we did with brinson, than this move is dumb as fuck. But ill wait to see what the overall vision is for the offseason before jumping to conclusions. The one thing that is a legitimate criticism though is how we overvalued the fuck out of our assets.

As far as Anderson, yes i sound like Lee Stone and i need to look into more of what his stuff is, but this doesnt seem like a guy who is getting by solely on experience relative to competition. His peripherals last year were legitimately impressive.
                              He was slow to reach and progress through the professional ranks but has impressed upon reaching the upper minors. Last year, working at Triple-A, he turned in sixty frames of 3.30 ERA ball with 13.2 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9.
                              Im probably overvaluing him way too much given my lack of research or available info on his stuff, I just really find it interesting some of these reliever only type guys we are getting on the cheap for spare parts like Ziegler and Schales. If Eveld and Anderson even become decent middle relievers like a guy like Wittgren that is great value given what we gave up. The reliever only prospect is very undervalued in the game today.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                              I question getting rid of Peters and not protecting Mills for an organization that has lower lefties right now.

However, if the idea is shifting Caleb Smith over, keeping Conley, and using Garcia, with Quijada the top backup in AAA, that makes some sense.

Holloway? What?

Hey they didn't protect Twine though!

- - - - - - - - - -

Thees guys built the yankees, of course they are doing that. The Yankees have had the best bullpen in the league, cumulatively, the last three years
                              The biggest thing out of all of today's moves is a clear changing of the guard in the front office, IMO. I think Denbo and company gave the holdovers a year of evaluation and now we are showing no hesitation to move on from guys from the previous regime like Dietrich, Meyer, Lee, and eventually Straily and other minor pieces.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                                Question for lou- once we inevitably deal JT and either trade of DFA straily, how low is our payroll currently? Our only contracts would be Chen and Prado and the only guys even available for arbitration are Rojas, Conley, and Urena. That would be 35 million for Chen and Prado, maybe like another 7 million combined for the other 3 because Urena and Conley will be in their first year of arbitration, and then everyone else as of now on minimum team control deals. That would be 42 million + the remaining 20 roster spots at whatever the minimum team control salary is (i believe around 500k). That would be a payroll as of now of 52 million. I really hope they spend the money and sign some roster fillers to flip some more at the deadline and continue this organizational purge until we find a consistent winner.
                                Forgetting Castro

Chen - $16 in deferred (its a higher calculation for luxury tax, but who cares with that)
                                Prado - $15
                                Castro - $11.8 + $1 buyout if not optioned (lets round this to $13)
                                Rojas, Conley, and Urena - Call them $6 combined
                                Everything else is club controlled for the minimum. Call this $12
                                =$62 million
                                Realmuto adds $6-7
                                Straily adds $4-5

Comment

Working...
                                X