This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
    ill give you a million dollars if even 2 out of 3 of those guys are in the starting lineup opening day barring like 7 injuries of guys ahead of them

There you go! Sounds like fun. Ramirez hit .320/.365/.836 in AA last season. Dean went .345/.410/.922 in AA/AAA. Who are the seven that are barring the way for these two? Sure as hell wouldn't be Brinson, Harrison, Sierra or Galloway. I'm not saying Dean and Ramirez are rock stars - this is an indictment against the rest of the roster and farm.

Mish odds on Realmuto acquisition:

Braves 35%
    Rays 15%
    Yankees 15%
    Padres 10%
    Reds 10%
    Astros 10%
    Field 5%

You have to like "the field" here, which would include the Indians and Rockies, the teams who could use him most.
    Ramirez was in his 3rd fucking year at AA at age 24. It will be Brinson, Dean, and likely a free agent they sign before the year starts or Anderson if they want him in the OF.

Comment

ill give you a million dollars if even 2 out of 3 of those guys are in the starting lineup opening day barring like 7 injuries of guys ahead of them

There you go! Sounds like fun. Ramirez hit .320/.365/.836 in AA last season. Dean went .345/.410/.922 in AA/AAA. Who are the seven that are barring the way for these two? Sure as hell wouldn't be Brinson, Harrison, Sierra or Galloway. I'm not saying Dean and Ramirez are rock stars - this is an indictment against the rest of the roster and farm.

Braves 35%
      Rays 15%
      Yankees 15%
      Padres 10%
      Reds 10%
      Astros 10%
      Field 5%

You have to like "the field" here, which would include the Indians and Rockies, the teams who could use him most.
      Brinson will be starting out there. He showed flashes of being better, and I don't think there's any way he could be as bad as last year.

Comment

Color me flush with excitement. Our opening day OF might be Austin Dean in left, Herrera in CF and Harold Ramirez in RF.
        Extremely unlikely but for injuries. The outfield is probably going to be a TBD Veteran - Brinson - Anderson, with probably Herrera as a backup OF with the most MLB experience. Sierra, Dean, Ramirez, Guerrero, and I guess Galloway will be in AAA. If there is some spring training disaster, maybe one guy is shifted around and Dean makes it.

TBD Catcher, Wallach/Holaday
        Cooper, O'Brien
        Castro
        Rojas, Riddle
        Prado
        TBD Veteran
        Brinson, Herrera
        Anderson

That seems right to me.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
        I still have no idea how Rivera stayed on the ML roster all season. I know winning wasn't really a concern, but it's still pretty amazing that he pulled that off. Herrera's numbers aren't good and they are still significantly better than what Rivera put up last year.

As for Herrera, he's only 25 and has been good in AAA the last 2 seasons. He can play multiple spots and like Lou said, he wasn't a complete disaster with the bat in his first taste of the Majors (against RHP anyway). As a free utility guy, he's worth a shot.
        The only rational/competent idea I can think of is, they are shooting for the moon with a guy that has one exceptional tool (Rivera-defense, O'Brien-power, T. Guerrero-fastball, etc.) and hoping they can improve enough elsewhere so that one tool plays up. Assuming that's what they are doing, I don't hate it in theory, but these types of things should clearly be AAA experiments and not on the MLB roster. But they have nothing right now because Loria sucks, so 2-4 of those guys are ending up on the 25 man roster at the moment.

Comment

You can't honestly believe that the organization is going to give up on Brinson in favor of Austin Dean and two guys I haven't heard of, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
            You can't honestly believe that the organization is going to give up on Brinson in favor of Austin Dean and two guys I haven't heard of, right?
            My only problem with Brinson and Sierra is that I watched them play last season. They seem brutally over-matched by big league pitching. I'm all for a season at New Orleans to see if they can make adjustments. The idea that Brinson has done all he can at the minor league level is just silly - practically everyone hits in Colorado.

Comment

• The time to send him to AAA was before last season. This is a make or break year for Brinson he's 25 years old. Gotta let him sink or swim.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                The time to send him to AAA was before last season. This is a make or break year for Brinson he's 25 years old. Gotta let him sink or swim.
                this. whatever you think of the guy, there is 0 chance barring injury he isnt in our starting OF all year long. Sierra needs to be in AAA all year. I really dont get why the marlins and cardinals have rushed the guy the last 2 years. He has shown improvement after slow starts at every level and it was obvious what was gonna happen when they rushed him yet again.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                  this. whatever you think of the guy, there is 0 chance barring injury he isnt in our starting OF all year long. Sierra needs to be in AAA all year. I really dont get why the marlins and cardinals have rushed the guy the last 2 years. He has shown improvement after slow starts at every level and it was obvious what was gonna happen when they rushed him yet again.
                  Well if he is atrocious another 6 weeks to open, I think you send him down, but you open with him. He probably won't be as atrocious though, but maybe that's wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                    Well if he is atrocious another 6 weeks to open, I think you send him down, but you open with him. He probably won't be as atrocious though, but maybe that's wrong.
                    well ya, i was operating under the likely impression that he will improve and make adjustments. still mindblowing they even opened with him on the roster last year given how obvious it was from his ST that he would struggle.

Comment

well ya, i was operating under the likely impression that he will improve and make adjustments. still mindblowing they even opened with him on the roster last year given how obvious it was from his ST that he would struggle.
                      Even if it was obvious he'd light the world on fire (a la Kris Bryant), they should've kept him down for service time reasons alone (again, a la Kris Bryant).

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                        Marlins claimed Rosell Herrera, who I didn't know existed prior to this - https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...11&position=OF

Looks like a strong candidate to be the backup CF/25th man. Played a little 2B competently (defensively) last year. He was a good prospect in 2013?

Someone will have to be DFA'd I believe. Shouldn't be an issue with Galloway still hanging on.

- - - - - - - - - -

He actually split hits and had a .650 OPS against RHP last year? I mean, this is theoretically a big improvement over Ortega/Sierra/Shuck, who somehow got 450 PA and rewarded them with -2.8 WAR. 2019 baby! When a AAA replacement bench player can net you 3 wins!
                        Don't have to DFA but probably should start DFA some of the dead weight

He is a 4th OF who can also play 2B and 3B. Pretty much DD with less bat

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post

Braves 35%
                        Rays 15%
                        Yankees 15%
                        Padres 10%
                        Reds 10%
                        Astros 10%

Field 5%

Still asking Atlanta for a crazy ass package while TB/SD/Hou we want a "Top Prospect" and others(Sanchez/Urias/Tucker). Cincy we want Trammell AND Senzel/Greene/India(which they arent big into).NYY is still backup option

Teams in "field" are LAD and Col but neither will meet the price

OF is still looking like
                        Dean/Cooper(1B)
                        Brinson/Herrera OR Sierra
                        BA

They want a FA like Jon Jay but are waiting till price comes down

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                        Really doesnt matter with Sierra his future with Miami is a 4th OF(Speed/Defense/All 3 spots)

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                          Even if it was obvious he'd light the world on fire (a la Kris Bryant), they should've kept him down for service time reasons alone (again, a la Kris Bryant).
                          Truth

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            very true. He was mishandled so badly last year it's ridiculous.

Comment

• I think Sierra can be a Jarrod Dyson guy for us longterm if we develop him correctly. Idk why we started him in AAA last year and why we brought him up or why the cardinals handled him the way they did the year before. He's still just 22.

Comment

I think Sierra can be a Jarrod Dyson guy for us longterm if we develop him correctly. Idk why we started him in AAA last year and why we brought him up or why the cardinals handled him the way they did the year before. He's still just 22.
                                That's the dream. I believe he has 2 option years left, so they should just leave him in AA/AAA for all of that time and see what is up in 2021.

When Dyson was 22, he had 225 PA professionally between R/A ball and didn't get to AAA until he was 25. Sierra has the same amount of PA in the bigs, and destroyed R and A ball along the way. He's far ahead of him on the development spectrum. Give him 1,000 minor league PA and hope for the best. No rush.

Comment

Working...
                                X