This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
    I feel like if he has a strong 1st half out of the pen, Conley will have a ton of trade value.
    Long as they don't ask for something crazy like LY he should be dealt. Quijada/Dylan Lee/2 or 3 vets in AAA take his spot

Remember Conley/Steck/Bearclaw all were being chased hard but FO kept asking for crazy things in return. They all got burnt in 2nd Half and pretty much just gave Bearclaw away

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Erick View Post
    Bud Smith?
    Meant Bud Norris. my bad

- - - - - - - - - -

Boston is looking for a SP and have 3 catchers. Straily for Leon or Swihart and prospect

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
      Don’t we already have Riley Ferrell?
      He has to stay on 25 man (like Elisier/Graves last year), or he is sent back. So they sort of have him. Astros could trade those rights to the Marlins so they could stash in AAA.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      3 Spots "Open" are

Backup C-Holaday/Wallach/Maldonado(If he will take Invite Only Deal)
      OF(Can play CF)-Herrera/Sierra/?(Trade/FA/DFA?)
      LR(2 inning+)-Noesi/Elieser/Brice/FA

They really need to trade Straily for an 4th OF type(who can play CF) and a RP with options. Straily to Houston for Marisnick OR Tony Kemp and rights to Riley Ferrell makes too much sense for BOTH teams(so will never happen)

Opens up a rotation spot for Sandy and gives 2 things we need

Again remember we have the #1 NL Waiver Claim Spot. Could easily add 2 or 3 guys with talent which is why they aren't looking to add ML deals if possible
      Tony Kemp can play everywhere, they aren't going to trade him. Marisnick is going to get traded. Someone needs to get hurt for him to make the team, and that doesn't include Tucker who is the obvious next up:

Chirinos, Stassi
      Gurriel, White
      Altuve, Kemp
      Correa, Diaz
      Bregman
      Brantley, Springer, Reddick

No room. He'd be perfect with 2 years of control. I'd definitely trade Straily for Marisnick and Ferrell rights, and maybe even kick in a few bucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
        He has to stay on 25 man (like Elisier/Graves last year), or he is sent back. So they sort of have him. Astros could trade those rights to the Marlins so they could stash in AAA.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tony Kemp can play everywhere, they aren't going to trade him. Marisnick is going to get traded. Someone needs to get hurt for him to make the team, and that doesn't include Tucker who is the obvious next up:

Chirinos, Stassi
        Gurriel, White
        Altuve, Kemp
        Correa, Diaz
        Bregman

No room. He'd be perfect with 2 years of control. I'd definitely trade Straily for Marisnick and Ferrell rights, and maybe even kick in a few bucks.
        I don't get the appeal of Marisnick. He just isn't a good hitter. If they are trading Straily, I'd rather just get some prospects back and sign a OF.

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

Chirinos, Stassi
          Gurriel, White
          Altuve, Kemp
          Correa, Diaz
          Bregman

Ya I dont think they trade Kemp either just spitballing.

Boston/Houston/SD/Minnesota/small market teams all would have interest in Straily.

Ferrell has to stay on ML roster for 90 days. If we trade for his rights he would still be on 40 man but we could send him to AAA

Comment

I don't get the appeal of Marisnick. He just isn't a good hitter. If they are trading Straily, I'd rather just get some prospects back and sign a OF.
            He's basically a 2 WAR player over 600 PA for his career. He is super defensively. I don't think you're getting really anything for Straily (likely guys outside Miami's top 20, literally. Ferrells and Duggers), so I'd take a chance Jake can hit at 28 years of age and go for the poor man's Mike Cameron. Worst case scenario, he is high floor defensive CF that bridges the gap to the kids in summer 2020. That's all they need here.

Adam Jones and Cameron Maybin are the only FA that can play CF I believe, so there really isn't much out there absent the trade/DFA route.

Just an idea, as they really need a CF. Unless they magically think Granderson can do it.

Comment

• Brinson should be playing every day. They need a 4th OF that can play CF. That can't be that hard to find. Hell if we have to have someone like Galloway fill that role is that really the end of the world?

Comment

He's basically a 2 WAR player over 600 PA for his career. He is super defensively. I don't think you're getting really anything for Straily (likely guys outside Miami's top 20, literally. Ferrells and Duggers), so I'd take a chance Jake can hit at 28 years of age and go for the poor man's Mike Cameron. Worst case scenario, he is high floor defensive CF that bridges the gap to the kids in summer 2020. That's all they need here.

Adam Jones and Cameron Maybin are the only FA that can play CF I believe, so there really isn't much out there absent the trade/DFA route.

Just an idea, as they really need a CF. Unless they magically think Granderson can do it.
                Marisnick and Jankowski are 2 DFA candidates at end of ST

They really only need a guy for 2019 because Sierra/Brian Miller should be ready to be 4th OF who can play CF in 2020(Not that it matters since VV/Harrison/Brinson all play CF). Sierra is still only 23 ALL year so doubt they swing a trade more likely get a DFA guy

- - - - - - - - - -

Aaron Nola #1 SP just signed for 4/45

Remember we took Tyler Kolek because the previous FO liked him better "long term" than Nola(even tho we could have got him cheap and already had his brother) and didn't think Rodon was a SP
                Last edited by tjfla; 02-13-2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                  Brinson should be playing every day. They need a 4th OF that can play CF. That can't be that hard to find. Hell if we have to have someone like Galloway fill that role is that really the end of the world?
                  It's really not a big deal, but I'd rather have say Marisnick/Pablo starting MLB level versus AAA (also $2.8 million cheaper), then Straily/Galloway.

Comment

• So you think Straily being on the roster is just a negative? Having too many starters almost always works itself out, especially when there really aren't any standouts in the group.

Comment

• the issue they are having right now is they aren't looking for guys who cut into playing time for 2020 guys but guys who can get them thru this season.

Why trade for a Marisnick when next year u won't have a spot for him? Why sign Maldonado to a ML deal when Alfaro is gonna get tons of AB's? Why sign Gio Gonzalez when u already have 6 SP and 4 more ready in AAA?

Only reason they signed a Vet RP is they wanted proven closer and keeps Steck's # down. Plus maybe Romo pitches to a 1.00 ERA and some team overpays

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                        the issue they are having right now is they aren't looking for guys who cut into playing time for 2020 guys but guys who can get them thru this season.

Why trade for a Marisnick when next year u won't have a spot for him? Why sign Maldonado to a ML deal when Alfaro is gonna get tons of AB's? Why sign Gio Gonzalez when u already have 6 SP and 4 more ready in AAA?

Only reason they signed a Vet RP is they wanted proven closer and keeps Steck's # down. Plus maybe Romo pitches to a 1.00 ERA and some team overpays
                        Yup. That’s why signing someone like CarGo makes more sense to me then trading Straily for basically a rental OF.

Comment

the issue they are having right now is they aren't looking for guys who cut into playing time for 2020 guys but guys who can get them thru this season.

Trade chips. But I agree there's no need to trade for guys for just this year. You sign whoever's out there as stopgaps.

Comment

Yup. That’s why signing someone like CarGo makes more sense to me then trading Straily for basically a rental OF.
                            Who is backing up CF? Granderson and Cargo are not CF. Walker and Anderson can cover outfield corners. If you want to DFA Prado - sure. But do we think that happens?

C - Alfaro, Wallach
                            1B - Walker, O'Brien
                            2B - Castro (Riddle)
                            SS - Rojas, Riddle
                            3B - Anderson, Prado (Walker)
                            LF - Granderson (Walker, Anderson)
                            CF - Brinson
                            RF - Cargo (Walker, Anderson)

You're basically putting Rojas in CF which makes little sense.

If they are signing 1 more bat, they really have to play CF. If we're OK jettisoning Prado, Cargo + a CF works for sure, with Herrera/Ramirez/Dean in AAA.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            Trade chips. But I agree there's no need to trade for guys for just this year. You sign whoever's out there as stopgaps.
                            Only CF left are Maybin and Ad. Jones. They could sign Maybin for sure.

The only other route is hope for a good DFA (like maybe Marisnick) or trade.

Or rely on Herrera/Sierra.

Notably, Brinson is no sure thing so they should find someone who can play if necessary.

Comment

• Straily to me is a guy you trade at the deadline or at the earliest at the end of spring in the highly unlikely event that all the young guys pitch thrmzelves into the rotation and there are no injuries. No need to force any trades until then. Let spring play itself out first. We seemingly have a mini surplus right now but that almost always works itself out during spring training with struggles and inevitable injuries

Comment

Works both ways, why keep Straily when you have SP? Getting a guy who can play a legitimate CF for 2 seasons is a need.

I was just floating that as an idea, not saying they have to do that move. I'm just saying, there is legitimate concern about CF right now unless you think both Brinson and Herrera are worthy players to potentially start opening day.

Comment

Working...
                                X