This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    The only thing is, isn't Encarnacion basically a DH at this point?
    Below Average 1B but could play it. U are buying the bat

- - - - - - - - - -

We really need to figure out the rotation

Urena/Pablo/Richards are locks
    Sandy should be a lock but no space
    Chen have to play
    Straily and Caleb Smith???

I would take it slow with Caleb Smith,give him his 2 months/rehab and see if he looks as good as did when got hurt

Elieser,Gallen,Yamamoto,Merandy,Neidert sitting in AAA even tho I think Merandy is a RP and Yamamoto probably is. Yamamoto is the wildcard-he could either become a #2/3 type or RP type
    Last edited by tjfla; 02-11-2019, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• I don't think there is any problem with the rotation. It's Urena, Chen, Straily, assuming health Ca. Smith and Richards should be given the first shot based on last year, and if they get beat out (or Smith starts on DL), good for you Alcantara or Pablo for earning a role over them.

Neidert and Gallen are looming come July.

And that's it. Ideally August 1st it's Urena, Alcantara, Ca. Smith, Neidert, and Pablo/Gallen/Richards (not sure who has more upside) and that is starting to get interesting with Sixto and FA money looming for 20/21.

Comment

• Supposedly we are in on Sergio Romo
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Craig Mish

Verified account

@CraigMish
          Following Following @CraigMish
          More
          Source : Former #Yankees Catcher, 5-time World Series Champion and Miami resident Jorge Posada is expected to join the Miami #Marlins Organization. Posada will be special advisor to Baseball Operations.

10:22 AM - 12 Feb 2019

Comment

• sergio romo as our closer for the first half and then flipping him at the deadline would be a great move

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              sergio romo as our closer for the first half and then flipping him at the deadline would be a great move
              I agree. I would love to see that.

Comment

• i think given the unproven guys in our pen and the fact that injuries are inevitable in spring training id like to see 2 more relievers added, a backup C type to compete with holaday/wallach, and then 1 more corner OF/1b guy or if adam jones is available for the right price then him as another addition before the season starts. i feel like jones could be a huge value play potentially with how free agency has gone thus far.

Comment

i think given the unproven guys in our pen and the fact that injuries are inevitable in spring training id like to see 2 more relievers added, a backup C type to compete with holaday/wallach, and then 1 more corner OF/1b guy or if adam jones is available for the right price then him as another addition before the season starts. i feel like jones could be a huge value play potentially with how free agency has gone thus far.
                  It's gotta be a CF not a 1B/OF.

C - Alfaro, Wallach
                  1B - Walker, O'Brien
                  2B - Castro
                  SS - Rojas, Riddle
                  3B - Anderson, Prado
                  LF - Granderson
                  CF - Brinson
                  RF - Herrera
                  (Walker, Rojas, Anderson can play the corner OF backup slots)

SP - Urena, Chen, Straily, Ca. Smith, Richards (or add Alcantara or Pablo, AAA if not)
                  RP - ?????, Steckenrider, Guerrero, Ferrell, pick one of Kinley/Anderson/Brigham/Merandy
                  LP - Conley, Garcia, Quijada

They should replace the three bolds, and there is no backup CF if you get rid of Herrera. Adam Jones is -perfect- but I think he gets a better job somewhere. I have no idea who they can get unless they think Span/Parra can physically play CF. Maybin might be the next best. The other two are easy inserts with Romo and anyone.

If you want to add another reliever, I'd actually do the opposite and add another SP and permanently kick Chen or Ca. Smith to the bullpen and send Quijada to AAA. That makes the most sense to me. Or just do it now and put Alcantara/Pablo in the rotation. Basically, kick Chen to the bullpen.

Comment

• Then id be all over adam jones depending on the price. id even think a 2 year deal would make some sense depending on the amount because you can then trade him at the end of the year if you are concerned that dealing him at the deadline this year would mean you have to rush an OF prospect. 2 years 12-14 million and id be all over it and even given the free agent market that might be an overpay.

- - - - - - - - - -

plus, like granderson, he seems like a really positive clubhouse influence in case anybody cared about that.

- - - - - - - - - -

I dont get this talk about alcantara not being in the rotation to start the year. that should be a given. the locks in the rotation should be urena, alcantara, richards, and straily if he isnt dealt. then you figure out number 5 out of lopez and smith, but i think it makes a ton more sense given the amount of options we have in the rotation to just treat him carefully and let him work his way back in late april/may.

Comment

• Forgot about Noesi. He's a good insurance policy to be a call-up starter before Neidert/Gallen are ready (theoretically) in June. He could be summoned as needed from AAA if someone gets hurt.

Roll out the best possible staff I say. Go all in on the kids:

Urena, Straily, Ca. Smith, Alcantara, Pablo (Noesi first man up if someone gets hurt, Neidert/Gallen looming in the summer)
                      "Romo/Veteran", Steckenrider, Richards, Guerrero, and Ferrell (Anderson/Brigham/Merandy/Others in AAA for easy call ups)
                      Conley, Chen, Garcia (Quijada in AAA)

If Ca. Smith isn't ready, they can swap in Chen and call up literally any reliever.

That works for me for sure.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                      I dont get this talk about alcantara not being in the rotation to start the year. that should be a given. the locks in the rotation should be urena, alcantara, richards, and straily if he isnt dealt. then you figure out number 5 out of lopez and smith, but i think it makes a ton more sense given the amount of options we have in the rotation to just treat him carefully and let him work his way back in late april/may.
                      Ca. Smith has earned a look, so has Richards. Performance will win out by the summer so I'm not sure it practically matters.

- - - - - - - - - -

*I like Richards in short bursts as a reliever for the record. Maybe he has developed a good third pitch and I'm wrong though.

- - - - - - - - - -

Parra signed a MiLB contract

They definitely need to add another CF soon

Comment

• I think richards as a reliever is incredibly interesting because his fastball isnt great but his changeup is elite. i wonder how his repetoire would work out of the pen. i could see him being a sneaky good few inning reliever with his changeup and that could be incredibly valuable given the way bullpens are used now. plus his fastball might tick up a few mph if he knows he's only going for 2-3 innings max.

Comment

sergio romo as our closer for the first half and then flipping him at the deadline would be a great move
                          We’d be better off making him our Opener.

He can’t get more than, what, 35 save opportunities this year (if you factor in Marlins wins greater than 3 runs)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post

He can’t get more than, what, 35 save opportunities this year (if you factor in Marlins wins greater than 3 runs)?
                            i dont really care but i was just talking in terms of a potential flip at the deadline. youre not gonna get a top prospect but you can get a useful piece and he's probably better at this point than steck and conley and i dont know how arbitration works in depth but i know lou has said that there could be some savings down the line for us if we keep their saves down.

- - - - - - - - - -

he would still probably have like 15-20 saves around the deadline assuming he stays healthy.

Comment

• I would love to see us at least try new things. Opener, etc. If we’re going to lose, at least be interesting and experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post

The idea for me is to let him get those 20+ saves until July so they don't impact Steckenrider and Conley's arbitration numbers. While they probably trade those two before July 31, 2020, they do have years of control so might as well keep them cheaper. Doesn't hurt trade value either.

Richards as an opener though to throw until the Marlins need a pinch hitter is a great idea. I'm down for him starting 45-50 games in this capacity. Protecting the average at best starters they have from 1 time through middle of the order is a good thing.

- - - - - - - - - -

Urena is actually really fucking good until the third time through the order - http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/33107/jose-urena (scroll down it's basically a .650 OPS first two times through, then jumps to .850 third time).

They really do have the personnel for this with all the relievers. Hopefully they saw Tampa last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X