This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
    "The Mets have continued to talk with the Marlins about acquiring catcher J.T. Realmuto, according to SNY's Andy Martino. HIS TAKE >> I believe this 100 percent. However, instead of Brandon Nimmo, my Miami sources say Derek Jeter would prefer to have Amed Rosario, as well as Van Wagenen's remaining top prospect, infielder Andres Gimenez. I've also repeatedly been told this type of deal would require a second, high-ceiling prospect, though not necessarily a Top 100 guy. In the end, I hate giving up Rosario. However, if Van Wagenen is going to deal him and then sign Manny Machado, I'm fully on board."

I find this interesting. Could the Marlins fill both MI positions for the future?
    They shouldn't double up on SS, it'll be a problem if they both work out, along with Diaz, or Riddle (very deceptive RHP numbers, he could be a good platoon starter with his defense), or a Castro extension which does make sense. Getting 1 of them would make a nice "current" pool for 2B/SS, with a nice secondary one of Devers, Osiris, C. Torres, and Dunand (if he stays at SS) emerging.

Pick 1 and figure out how to get a catcher and more SP, with a plan C being a 1B. That's why I like Nido and Alonso in the deal as the Mets don't need them with Realmuto and Frazier/Smith, and move Conforto/Nimmo for more SP which seems reasonable.

Atlanta, Colorado, and Houston are probably still better, but this works if something like that is the best deal. Value is value.

Comment

• Unless they deal Nimmo/Conforto AND rosario i dont think i do a deal with the mets. Its gotta be both of them in order to do the deal and id do it hopefully with either a plan to flip nimmo/conforto or to deal them in the next year or so. Maybe you consider something like Rosario, Alonso, + but thats pushing it. Id rather deal with houston and get the better top prospect in either yordan or tucker or the braves with riley and one of those top pitchers.

Should be done within the next week or so though you'd imagine so we'll find out what we get after over a year of speculation.

- - - - - - - - - -

I doubt it would ever happen but Kluber would be that ace we are looking for to combine with all these SP prospects and he is under contract for the next 3 years of team options each year for around just 17 million a year. Say you get Rosario and Nimmo/Conforto and then flip Nimmo/Conforto + whoever (Conley, Steckenrider, Castro, maybe a prospect). Thats a good exchange and you get that true ace. Doubt Cleveland would do it though.

Comment

• This is encouraging:

https://www.mlb.com/video/mets-looki...83?tid=6479266

Reynolds saying "The Marlins are going to get what they want, and Rosenthal saying "yes, they will" is nice to hear. Interesting that Rosenthal says the Marlins are not looking for a prospect deal alone. They want a major league controllable asset, like Ozzie Albies. He says Albies won't be traded, but those are the types of players the Marlins are asking for. If it's the Braves, and it's not Albies, I'm not sure who they have in addition to the prospects. Same with some of the other teams we've heard.

Comment

• samson had his segment on lebatard today for anyone who wants to hear some great marlins stories from the previous ownership.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
            You tell them, it's all three or he's going to Atlanta.

And yea, that basic deal makes sense to me because eating Lagares $9 million is HUGE for them. If you also have to chuck in Dean, or Wittgren, or something nominal like that to get it done, cool?

I think this would be a good depth chart for August 1, 2020:

C - ______; Nido
            1B - Alonso; Cooper/O'Brien/Whoever
            2B - Diaz or Castro(extension)
            SS - Rosario; Riddle
            3B - Anderson
            LF - VVM
            CF - Brinson; Sierra/Miller/Whoever
            RF - Monte or Nimmo

SP - _________, Alcantara, Neidert, Urena, Pablo
            RHP - Guzman, Steckenrider, Richards, Yamamoto, Gallen
            LHP - Ca. Smith, Garcia, Quijada

Trades to add to the above: One of Diaz or Castro (if you do sign Castro to an extension); Ideally one of Monte or Nimmo if all the OF work out, although one probably fails so you may keep everyone; Straily; and Lagares during 2019 season.

Ideally the trades get the catcher, and free agency money the pitcher

Top prospects remaining - Banfield, Osiris, Devers, C. Torres, Nelson, Scott, Pompey, Rogers, Garret, E. Cabrera, and 2019 # 1, 2A, and 2B picks. Pretty good depth there across the diamond.
            2019 MLB draft has a couple college catchers who appear MLB ready in a year at the top of the draft. Trading JT opens up that possibility to one of them. Both are pretty high end prospects.

Comment

• Hmm, the Diamondbacks got a lot more from the Cards for one year of Goldschmidt than Marlins got for two years of Ozuna. Heck, Carson Kelly alone was more valuable than the four players Miami got.

Comment

Hmm, the Diamondbacks got a lot more from the Cards for one year of Goldschmidt than Marlins got for two years of Ozuna. Heck, Carson Kelly alone was more valuable than the four players Miami got.
                Ozuna had one year of sucess. Goldy has been solid and MVP candidate the last 4-5 years.

Comment

Hmm, the Diamondbacks got a lot more from the Cards for one year of Goldschmidt than Marlins got for two years of Ozuna. Heck, Carson Kelly alone was more valuable than the four players Miami got.
                  Goldschmidt is a significantly better player, with a much much better, track record than Ozuna. Please.

Comment

• As long as Alcantara is even a long term mid rotation guy we won that trade or at least even. Bonus if gallen becomes a useful guy and sierra sticks.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Godfather View Post
                      2019 MLB draft has a couple college catchers who appear MLB ready in a year at the top of the draft. Trading JT opens up that possibility to one of them. Both are pretty high end prospects.
                      I still think you find another young catcher (in addition to Nido in the Mets hypothetical), as 2019 picks don't have a guarantee of getting to the bigs that fast, but I'm still with you to draft one anyways. I am a firm believer that you only take C, 2B, SS, CF, and SP options with your first few picks unless there is a serious scarcity problem. Those two catchers look awesome

Comment

• I really think that if we could add a few major league or bullpen pieces like Castro, Conley, Steckenrider, etc and get Nimmo/Conforto, Rosario, and Alonso and then flip Nimmo/Conforto in a package for Kluber that makes a ton of sense for us. If Mets were talking Nimmo/Conforto with the Indians it would make a ton of sense to at least look into.

Comment

• Trading for Kluber is not going to happen. How about someone with 5 years of control, and the 2020-2021 free agent classes are pitcher deep with lower bats available.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                            Trading for Kluber is not going to happen. How about someone with 5 years of control, and the 2020-2021 free agent classes are pitcher deep with lower bats available.
                            He's got 3 years of control at a very reasonable level and he is a legitimate cy young candidate every year. IF you can somehow find a way to turn JT + into Rosario, Alonson and then Kluber thats a hell of a package even if you have to give up more in the flip to get Kluber.

Comment

• Originally posted by gustavopim View Post
                              Ozuna had one year of sucess. Goldy has been solid and MVP candidate the last 4-5 years.
                              That's true, but Ozuna was coming off a much better year than Goldy. Look what one good season accomplished for Patrick Corbin. Corbin was crap in '16 and '17.
                              Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-05-2018, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                                He's got 3 years of control at a very reasonable level and he is a legitimate cy young candidate every year. IF you can somehow find a way to turn JT + into Rosario, Alonson and then Kluber thats a hell of a package even if you have to give up more in the flip to get Kluber.
                                And 2019 and likely 2020 are irrelevant for the Marlins. So who cares.

- - - - - - - - - -

5+ years of control. No exceptions.

Comment

Working...
                                X