This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    Speaking of O'Brien, I hope they give him a legit shot to start somewhere next year. His minor league numbers indicate he might have been a nice find similar to what bour provided out of nowhere.
    And a far better athlete than Bour.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
      LOMO? Good grief -.3 WAR in 321 AB. O'Brien +.7 in 66 ab.

And how do you lump Dean's AAA performance with Sierra and Lee?
      Lee, we've been over this so many times, but please understand that LoMo's last 321 AB and O'Brien's last 66 AB are not the entire picture of who they are as players. Morrison is a year removed from a fantastic season and is still 31. He is a great guy to take a flyer on. If the Marlins want a 1B, he's very high on the list. Personally, I would just give O'Brien and Cooper all the 1B PA and hope for the best, but if they want one, Morrison is a good option to try and strike gold.

And Dean was pretty terrible at the MLB level. Those three should be the AAA outfield for sure. There is no reason to call them up but for injuries, and maybe by August they can get playing time.

Comment

• I think people here mentioned Grandal.....he is apparently going to be issued a QO by the Dodgers.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
          Lee, we've been over this so many times, but please understand that LoMo's last 321 AB and O'Brien's last 66 AB are not the entire picture of who they are as players. Morrison is a year removed from a fantastic season and is still 31. He is a great guy to take a flyer on. If the Marlins want a 1B, he's very high on the list. Personally, I would just give O'Brien and Cooper all the 1B PA and hope for the best, but if they want one, Morrison is a good option to try and strike gold.

And Dean was pretty terrible at the MLB level. Those three should be the AAA outfield for sure. There is no reason to call them up but for injuries, and maybe by August they can get playing time.
          Yes, Dean had a bleak September - just like Castro, Rojas, Realmuto, Brinson, Anderson, Dietrich, etc. had against the very same competition. He deserves a good look in spring training.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          I think people here mentioned Grandal.....he is apparently going to be issued a QO by the Dodgers.
          That's interesting. He might just grab that $18M.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
            I think people here mentioned Grandal.....he is apparently going to be issued a QO by the Dodgers.
            Well he was the 2nd best catcher in baseball last year, is third overall (Realmuto, Buster) over the last 4 years (seriously, last 4), and next year will be his age 29 season.

Makes sense to me. He's great value on a 1 year deal to mitigate against the whole "catchers break down" thing.

Comment

• Joe Frisaro

Verified account

@JoeFrisaro
              15s16 seconds ago
              More
              The #Marlins don't publicly announce their payroll. But expect it to be about $100 million next year.
              This essentially guarantees it wont be $100 million coming from frisaro. But if it is 100 without Straily, JT, and DD we're gonna have to spend some money i think.

Comment

• Steamer projections are out, and it's real bad as one can expect:

Realmuto 3.6
                Anderson 2.6 (.259/.334/.405)
                Ca. Smith 1.7 (132 IP, 4.01 ERA, 9.2 K/9)
                Castro 1.5
                Chen 1.4 (157 IP)
                Richards 1.2 (124 IP, 4.13 ERA, 8.2 K/9)
                Urena 1.1 (162 IP)
                Riddle 1.1 (.247/.292/.369, great defense)
                No one else over 1, although it likes Steckenrider, Guerrero, and T. Kinley in the bullpen.

Nothing unexpected. They are going to be bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                  I posed a question to Eric Longenhagen in his fangraphs chat this afternoon.
                  Question: Realmuto to AZ for Widener, Chisholm and Varsho. Sound about right?
                  Eric: Oooh, that's kind of a lot for Arizona to give up if they are going to take a one-year shot while Goldy is around. But it's not far off in talent, in a vacuum.
                  Like been saying on the board- U all think its light but in FO and scout circles its a fair deal

Arizona-JT
                  Miami-Widener/Chisholm OR Pavin Smith/Varsho/Blaze Alexander/project pitcher

Comment

Steamer projections are out, and it's real bad as one can expect:

Realmuto 3.6
                    Anderson 2.6 (.259/.334/.405)
                    Ca. Smith 1.7 (132 IP, 4.01 ERA, 9.2 K/9)
                    Castro 1.5
                    Chen 1.4 (157 IP)
                    Richards 1.2 (124 IP, 4.13 ERA, 8.2 K/9)
                    Urena 1.1 (162 IP)
                    Riddle 1.1 (.247/.292/.369, great defense)
                    No one else over 1, although it likes Steckenrider, Guerrero, and T. Kinley in the bullpen.

Nothing unexpected. They are going to be bad.
                    Jose Urena - one of top four starting pitchers in baseball over the final month. He's on the rise big time. Steamer blows.

Comment

• MLBTraderumors free agent predictions are out. In the past, I nodded at their numbers. Now I shake my head. Harper - 14 years and $420M??? He's a negative fielder and a declining hitter. 10 years and $250M would be ridiculous in my book. On Grandal, they are suggesting that the Nats sign him for 4/64. I'll stick with my 3/40.

Comment

• Any deal for 14 years is unbelievably stupid, but calling him a declining hitter is ridiculous and calling him a negative fielder is also pretty stupid

Comment

• Lol declining hitter

hes 25 years old. Everything he’s already accomplished has been done before most players make their major league debuts.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                          Jose Urena - one of top four starting pitchers in baseball over the final month. He's on the rise big time. Steamer blows.
                          Opponents BABIP in that last month was .198. If Urena’s September opponents were a qualified hitter, they’d have the second worst BABIP since 1945.

Urena’s K/9 in September was low, his BB/9 high. His xFIP was 4.97. His LOB% was 100% (seriously). He didn’t magically figure it out in September 2018, he just ran into some incredible luck for 30 innings. You really don’t understand sample size, do you?
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Assuming they move Realmuto, Castro, and Dietrich, this is the slopfest for 2019 I want to just get to 2020:

C - Nick Hundley, Devin Mesoraco - cheap 1 year free agents who could be solid backups to trade
                            1B - O'Brien, Cooper - Who cares, let them play. See if you got something
                            2B - Rojas, Brad Miller/Logan Forsythe/Something like that - cheap 1 year free agents and see if they rebound, can also cover 1B
                            SS - Riddle - Let him and Rojas platoon, that's fine.
                            3B - Anderson - Set him here and forget him until next year no matter what happens
                            LF - Denard Span/John Jay - cheap 1 year deal, trade candidate at deadline
                            CF - Brinson, "Rule V Pick" - Just grab anyone who can maybe be a 4th OF to challenge Sierra/Lee in the future
                            RF - Curtis Granderson/Cargo - cheap 1 year deal, trade candidate at deadline.

That's what should happen. This isn't a team for Schwarber or Zobrist.

or Machado.

Another good post, lou.

I mean, am I the only one who doesn’t feel all warm and fuzzy inside thinking about the Marlins potentially signing a guy who clearly goes out of his way to step on a first baseman’s ankle?

I totally get that Machado is very good. But wouldn’t it be nice if the Marlins made their eventual big splash on someone other than the guy who made a complete ass of himself in the 2018 playoffs.

<————Dodgers are my 2nd favorite team for real.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                              This essentially guarantees it wont be $100 million coming from frisaro. But if it is 100 without Straily, JT, and DD we're gonna have to spend some money i think.
                              https://legacy.baseballprospectus.co...miami-marlins/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...U_dyUo/pubhtml

Cots has us at $78M right now?

Not a chance we spend $22M

Comment

• Jeff Sullivan mentioned the Marlins as an option for Addison Russell. If he’s non tendered what would y’all think? I personally hope they’d stay far away from that situation.
                                "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                                - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Working...
                                X