This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Harper is a terrible defensive player - about the lowest ranked in all of baseball last season. Defense should be the one constant. Don't you agree?
    How many players do the Rays have better than Harper?

Comment

• Bryce Harper was 25 years old last season.

As in, everything he's done in his major league career has been done before most of the players Lee likes even get to the majors
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
        How many players do the Rays have better than Harper?
        Using fangraphs WAR stats (the most generous to Harper), his 3.5 WAR ranked 78th among ML players last season. I guess the question becomes if you give Harper $30+ million a year and a $300 million guarantee, what the heck do you do for the 77 guys who contributed more to their team's success last season? In his earlier twenties, Harper was an elite athlete. He could run and throw, hit for power and average. He's already an old man at 26. He can provide his best value as a DH that is nowhere near as good as JD Martinez at age 31. His value is much less than Manny Machado, that's for certain. Fortunately for him, a team like Philadelphia (which gave Carlos Santana a 3-year $60M contract), will bail him out with a big contract that will soon become ridiculed. Here's a question: Who posts the higher WAR next season, Victor Robles or Bryce Harper? Better yet, Brian Anderson or Bryce Harper? (They had near identical fangraphs WAR in 2018, at roughly the same age).

In truth, Harper is still riding the laurels of one fantastic season (2015). He is less than half the player he used to be. Ironically, I get the sense that most every poster on this board would give Harper 10 years and $300M in the blink of an eye.
        Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-18-2019, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Using fangraphs WAR stats (the most generous to Harper), his 3.5 WAR ranked 78th among ML players last season. I guess the question becomes if you give Harper $30+ million a year and a $300 million guarantee, what the heck do you do for the 77 guys who contributed more to their team's success last season? In his earlier twenties, Harper was an elite athlete. He could run and throw, hit for power and average. He's already an old man at 26. He can provide his best value as a DH that is nowhere near as good as JD Martinez at age 31. His value is much less than Manny Machado, that's for certain. Fortunately for him, a team like Philadelphia (which gave Carlos Santana a 3-year $60M contract), will bail him out with a big contract that will soon become ridiculed. Here's a question: Who posts the higher WAR next season, Victor Robles or Bryce Harper? Better yet, Brian Anderson or Bryce Harper? (They had near identical fangraphs WAR in 2018, at roughly the same age).

In truth, Harper is still riding the laurels of one fantastic season (2015). He is less than half the player he used to be. Ironically, I get the sense that most every poster on this board would give Harper 10 years and $300M in the blink of an eye.
          Harper is less than half the player than he used to be, yet after the all star break last year he hit .300 with a .972 OPS. you're a moron.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            Harper is less than half the player than he used to be, yet after the all star break last year he hit .300 with a .972 OPS. you're a moron.
            After the all star break, JT Realmuto hit .232 with a .721 OPS. I guess he sucks and Harper is all-world. (And yes, of course I'm a moron. I'm a Marlin fan.)

Comment

After the all star break, JT Realmuto hit .232 with a .721 OPS. I guess he sucks and Harper is all-world. (And yes, of course I'm a moron. I'm a Marlin fan.)
              no, JT is one of the best catchers in baseball and the 26 year old with a career OPS of .900 is a generational player. If only he was 28 dominating in AA and you'd be praising his potential.

Comment

• So your answer is yes? As Marlin GM you would give Bryce Harper a $300 million contract?

Comment

So your answer is yes? As Marlin GM you would give Bryce Harper a $300 million contract?
                  That depends on the years, but I'd gladly sign Harper for 10/$300 given the Marlins payroll situation. Harper is easily going to average something around 4 WAR during that span. But for injury of course. I'm betting BIG TIME you get A LOT of upside on that.

Please note Harper's abysmal CF defense in 2018 compared to his general neutral defense in 2016-2017. You don't fault him for being miscast due to Nationals injuries (Eaton). We wouldn't knock Anderson if the Marlins were desperate and had to stick in in CF. Stick him in a corner.

Likewise, his BABIP was 30 points below his career average in 2018. Please note his upside where he has had a 9.3 WAR year (this is basically a top 50ish season of all time for a player in the history of baseball. All-time Lee) in his career prior to entering his 26-32 year old prime seasons.

You are knocking a sure-fire hall of famer.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                    That depends on the years, but I'd gladly sign Harper for 10/$300 given the Marlins payroll situation. Harper is easily going to average something around 4 WAR during that span. But for injury of course. I'm betting BIG TIME you get A LOT of upside on that.

Please note Harper's abysmal CF defense in 2018 compared to his general neutral defense in 2016-2017. You don't fault him for being miscast due to Nationals injuries (Eaton). We wouldn't knock Anderson if the Marlins were desperate and had to stick in in CF. Stick him in a corner.

Likewise, his BABIP was 30 points below his career average in 2018. Please note his upside where he has had a 9.3 WAR year (this is basically a top 50ish season of all time for a player in the history of baseball. All-time Lee) in his career prior to entering his 26-32 year old prime seasons.

You are knocking a sure-fire hall of famer.
                    I am. Today's Harper impresses me not. You mention the single fantastic year. It's more important to remember that he didn't even match half of that WAR number in any of his other six seasons.
                    Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-18-2019, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                      We signed Hector Noesi. If that’s the reliever move, then lol.
                      When they said yesterday the Marlins would be signing someone, I figured it was at least a "periphery" name - a low level free agent. This is way outside of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                        When they said yesterday the Marlins would be signing someone, I figured it was at least a "periphery" name - a low level free agent. This is way outside of that.
                        I find it hard to believe that he was the FA Mish is referring to. He hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2015.

Comment

I am. Today's Harper impresses me not. You mention the single fantastic year. It's more important to remember that he didn't even match half of that WAR number in any of his other six seasons.
                          Cool story, he will be in his age 26 season next year.

Let's call in 2038 in cooperstown.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                            thats good news. Also, is that the flamarlins93 who posts here? Id guess it is either a RP or OF.
                            Ya he goes by like Tommy or Timmy Hill on twitter

No surprise on Machado and have heard both. They are in on a number of vet RP so probably 1 of them. We tried for Cody Allen but weren't close to 1/9

- - - - - - - - - -

Signed Hector Noesi. 32 and Swing type who I could see make our team

Nothing great but damn good numbers in KBO

https://mykbostats.com/players/1289-...esi-Kia-Tigers

- - - - - - - - - -

Staff(right now)

Urena/Chen/Straily/Richards/Pablo
                            Noesi/Garcia/Conley/Witt/Ferrell/Tayron/Steck

DL-Caleb Smith/Fernandez

AAA
                            Alcantara/Yamamoto/Elieser/Gallen
                            Anderson/Kinley/Keller/Merandy/Brigham/Graves/Meyer/Eveld/Stevens/Quijada/Lee

Other words,TONS of arms before FA signings
                            Last edited by tjfla; 01-18-2019, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              Ya he goes by like Tommy or Timmy Hill on twitter

No surprise on Machado and have heard both. They are in on a number of vet RP so probably 1 of them. We tried for Cody Allen but weren't close to 1/9

- - - - - - - - - -

Signed Hector Noesi. 32 and Swing type who I could see make our team

Nothing great but damn good numbers in KBO

https://mykbostats.com/players/1289-...esi-Kia-Tigers

- - - - - - - - - -

Staff(right now)

Urena/Chen/Straily/Richards/Pablo
                              Noesi/Garcia/Conley/Witt/Ferrell/Tayron/Steck

DL-Caleb Smith/Fernandez

AAA
                              Alcantara/Yamamoto/Elieser/Gallen
                              Anderson/Kinley/Keller/Merandy/Brigham/Graves/Meyer/Eveld/Stevens/Quijada/Lee

Other words,TONS of arms before FA signings
                              Yeah, with so many arms, The only arm I can only see them signing is a closer-type. Bats are a much bigger need...especially once JT is dealt.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                                Yeah, with so many arms, The only arm I can only see them signing is a closer-type. Bats are a much bigger need...especially once JT is dealt.
                                I expect least 1 ML bat in JT deal so. But ya we need both-vet setup/closer and lefty bat

Comment

Working...
                                X