This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
    I can't understand a quantity type deal. The Marlins have a decent amount of decent prospects. They need quality at this point. That's what they lack. If I'm the Marlins, I'm only taking a deal that lands you at least one, probably two big time prospects.
    Precisely

Comment

I can't understand a quantity type deal. The Marlins have a decent amount of decent prospects. They need quality at this point. That's what they lack. If I'm the Marlins, I'm only taking a deal that lands you at least one, probably two big time prospects.
      That's the problem. Lewis Brinson was a big time prospect ... Harrison was highly regarded too. Go back five years. Half of the top 25 prospects in baseball pan out, the other half are Buxton, Russell, Almora, Bundy, Butler, Stephenson, etc. That's one good reason to shop for quantity; you just never know.

The Marlins have a decent amount of decent prospects. I can't agree. According to fangraphs, as an example, the Marlins have only a handful of decent prospects, none of which has a high ceiling.

Looking back on potential trades that may have significantly changed the Marlins, I liked this one: https://www.fishstripes.com/2013/8/6...on-gerrit-cole Just for fun, 2018 WAR for Stanton: 4.0 For the three almost Marlins: G Cole 5.1 Marte 3.7 and Taillon 4.4 (That's 13.2 WAR total!)
      Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-24-2019, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Do you think there is a difference between:

FV60, FV50/FV45+, FV40

or

FV55, FV50, FV 50/45+, FV45/40

That's basically the difference between the packages they can expect. A FV60 guy is a top 20-25 prospect, FV55 top 21-50ish, FV50 ranges wildly, but is around a top 50-125 prospect. If we're viewing that as a "quantity" deal, I'm OK not getting a top 20 overall prospect and aiming in on two guys say, top 40-80 range.

I'm just not getting the pushback against a hypothetical deal where they dont get a top 20 overall prospect. He has 2 years of control.

Comment

• The two years of Realmuto control (albeit at a bargain $13-15M) are definitely a handicap in getting highest value. I go back to the CINN/NYY trade that just occurred. A Gray deal was provisional. Reds had 48 hrs to agree to an extension with a pitcher in his final year of control. That seems like a very "adult" approach to things.

Given that an extension would provide great security to JT, that would seem to be in his interest as well. I would take the best offer for JT under such a scenario, then move on to the next best if no extension agreement is reached. Taking that tact would logically increase the number of interested teams as well.
          Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-24-2019, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
            The two years of Realmuto control (albeit at a bargain $13-15M) are definitely a handicap in getting highest value. I go back to the CINN/NYY trade that just occurred. A Gray deal was provisional. Reds had 48 hrs to agree to an extension with a pitcher in his final year of control. That seems like a very "adult" approach to things.

Given that an extension would provide great security to JT, that would seem to be in his interest as well. I would take the best offer for JT under such a scenario, then move on to the next best if no extension agreement is reached. Taking that tact would logically increase the number of interested teams as well.
            They should definitely give an acquiring team a 24+ hour window to negotiate a deal, especially since the number is easy - 5/$80-85.

Base JT's value off of that (give/take $75 million surplus), throw in Conley ($10+) or Steckenrider (20+) to bridge a gap, and call it a day.

Comment

• Jon Heyman

Verified account

@JonHeyman
              Following Following @JonHeyman
              More
              #marlins were a team in on nick markakis. they'd still like a lefty bat. and probably an OF.

8:42 AM - 24 Jan 2019

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                Do you think there is a difference between:

FV60, FV50/FV45+, FV40

or

FV55, FV50, FV 50/45+, FV45/40

That's basically the difference between the packages they can expect. A FV60 guy is a top 20-25 prospect, FV55 top 21-50ish, FV50 ranges wildly, but is around a top 50-125 prospect. If we're viewing that as a "quantity" deal, I'm OK not getting a top 20 overall prospect and aiming in on two guys say, top 40-80 range.

I'm just not getting the pushback against a hypothetical deal where they dont get a top 20 overall prospect. He has 2 years of control.
                This is what I meant when say quantity. Only teams I would do it with is LAD and TB but get 4-6 "things" rather than just 3

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                Jon Heyman

Verified account

@JonHeyman
                Following Following @JonHeyman
                More
                #marlins were a team in on nick markakis. they'd still like a lefty bat. and probably an OF.

8:42 AM - 24 Jan 2019
                Marlins are IN on every lefty bat on the market. They want a guy who can play IF/OF

They would like to trade JT before they sign 1 however

- - - - - - - - - -

Bob Nightengale
                ‏Verified account @BNightengale

The #Dodgers still are hoping to make several moves before spring training, but are focusing most of their attention with the #Marlins in hopes of acquiring All-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto.

- - - - - - - - - -

Marlins are asking for Verdugo/Ruiz and 1 of May,Alvarez,Lux,Jeter Downs however deal could grow to include Pitching and more prospects/IFA Cash

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  This is what I meant when say quantity. Only teams I would do it with is LAD and TB but get 4-6 "things" rather than just 3

- - - - - - - - - -

Marlins are IN on every lefty bat on the market. They want a guy who can play IF/OF

They would like to trade JT before they sign 1 however

- - - - - - - - - -

Bob Nightengale
                  ‏Verified account @BNightengale

The #Dodgers still are hoping to make several moves before spring training, but are focusing most of their attention with the #Marlins in hopes of acquiring All-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto.

- - - - - - - - - -

Marlins are asking for Verdugo/Ruiz and 1 of May,Alvarez,Lux,Jeter Downs however deal could grow to include Pitching and more prospects/IFA Cash
                  Seems like more writers are connecting JT to the Dodgers this week.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                    Seems like more writers are connecting JT to the Dodgers this week.
                    LAD have been in on him but didn't wanna trade Bellinger. Marlins dropped price and with LAD talking to Pollock they are all putting 2 and 2 together

Verdugo/1 of their C/1 of May,Alvarez,Lux,Downs(Downs the fave) just makes to much sense to ALL

I wouldnt be surprised to see something like(If LAD wants pitching too)

LAD-JT/Steck or Conley
                    Miami-Verdugo/Ruiz/Downs/SP(Alvarez? White? Gonsolin?)/1.25 IFA cash

1 thing is Miami hates LAD FO cause of Stanton/Yelich talks so if they do get any farther-LAD better be ready to pay up

Still hearing its Atlanta/TB/Houston but LAD could move up fast

- - - - - - - - - -

JT talks will pick up AFTER Harper and Machado sign.

Stuff to watch with Miami next few days is RP Market. We are in on a few
                    Last edited by tjfla; 01-24-2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Jeff Passan

Verified account

@JeffPassan
                      Following Following @JeffPassan
                      More
                      Free agent outfielder A.J. Pollock is in agreement with the Los Angeles Dodgers, league sources tell ESPN. They have been discussing a five-year deal in the $60 million-plus range, though it's unclear if those are indeed the final terms. @Ken_Rosenthal had the deal done first.

Dodgers now can afford to deal an OF...hmmm

Comment

• I'm certainly intrigued by Dodger prospects. Priorities for Miami IMO 1)Ruiz 2) Gavin Lux 3) Jeter Downs and 4) Austin Barnes. Lux, despite playing SS, is a better fit for 2b and has vastly more upside than Isan Diaz. No problem incl. Steck or Conley. Ruiz, Lux, Downs would be a great look for the MI in 2020. Love a reunion with Barnes. While Verdugo would instantly take over CF and the leadoff spot, I'm just not caring so much about him. Dodgers have no problem extending Realmuto if/when they want to.
                        Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-24-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• was just coming here to say I've gotta think the Pollock signing puts them super in on JT.
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                            Jeff Passan

Verified account

@JeffPassan
                            Following Following @JeffPassan
                            More
                            Free agent outfielder A.J. Pollock is in agreement with the Los Angeles Dodgers, league sources tell ESPN. They have been discussing a five-year deal in the $60 million-plus range, though it's unclear if those are indeed the final terms. @Ken_Rosenthal had the deal done first.

Dodgers now can afford to deal an OF...hmmm
                            Pollock signed and NOW LAD has Joc,Bellinger,Verdugo,Toles as left handed bats who can play the OF and are in the majors

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                            was just coming here to say I've gotta think the Pollock signing puts them super in on JT.
                            Tons of options for US if LAD is serious(Ruiz is gonna be in ANY deal)

Can go
                            Verdugo/Ruiz/Jeter Downs
                            Ruiz/Joc Pederson/Jeter Downs/SP
                            Ruiz/Joc Pederson/Jeter Downs/SP/IFA Cash
                            for

JT and if needed Conley OR Steck

We can either keep Pederson OR trade him. CWS had interest and have great system
                            Last edited by tjfla; 01-24-2019, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• hard pass on Joc. Verdugo or Bellinger pls
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                Pollock signed and NOW LAD has Joc,Bellinger,Verdugo,Toles as left handed bats who can play the OF and are in the majors

- - - - - - - - - -

Tons of options for US if LAD is serious(Ruiz is gonna be in ANY deal)

Can go
                                Verdugo/Ruiz/Jeter Downs
                                Ruiz/Joc Pederson/Jeter Downs/SP
                                Ruiz/Joc Pederson/Jeter Downs/SP/IFA Cash
                                for

JT and if needed Conley OR Steck
                                I can't see Pederson as a fit for the Marlins. He's a 2021 free agent. I'd rather have Verdugo if those are my choices.

Comment

Working...
                                X