X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
    No reason to Baby Cake Brinson.

At this point with how his career has gone, it’s give him all of 2019 to figure it out or cut the cord.

I vote give him all of 2019 (not batting 8th) because they’ll lose 95+ games this year anyway
    I would raise this to summer 2020, but only give him a cushy lineup spot until the all star break this year and see if that helps.

I'd like to unapologetically see this to help Brinson. A pure sandwich of the 4 other "good" hitters versus righties, and pray to god against lefties between the only other two you can exude any confidence in.

RHP
    LF Granderson
    3B Anderson
    CF Brinson
    1B Walker
    2B Castro
    C Alfaro
    RF Cooper
    SS Riddle

LHP
    2B Castro
    CF Brinson
    3B Anderson
    C Alfaro
    LF/RF/1B Cooper
    1B/LF Prado
    LF/RF/SS Whoever is playing from Walker/Granderson/Herrera/Riddle which will be a disaster
    SS/LF/RF Rojas

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Gonna be interesting to see what Miami does with that open 40 man spot. Tons of guys are coming on the market

Unless of course they listen to Lee and just add Galloway or Meyer or Beggs
    I hope we see a C, 4th OF who can play CF, and a better lefty.

Aflaro, "NEW"
    Walker, Prado
    Castro
    Riddle, Rojas
    Anderson
    Granderson
    Brinson, "NEW"
    Cooper

Urena, Richards, Ca. Smith, Pablo, Alcantara
    Romo, Steckenrider, Guerrero, Brice, Anderson/Kinley
    Conley, Chen, "NEW"

Bonus points for picking up a better RHP reliever and stashing guys in AAA and DFA'ing Prado for literally any bat that has any potential at any position

- - - - - - - - - -

It's normal for a team to add 5 guys in the spring training DFA period right?

Comment

• My post from May of last year:

Checking in on the MLB Pipeline Top Ten
      1) Brinson Headed to New Orleans after bringing up the rear of all ML hitters
      2) Harrison Looking disturbingly like Brinson 2.0. Once the K's come down to earth, he can actually be evaluated
      3) Alcantara Lacking swing and miss stuff, but getting the walks under control. He'll get a chance to face ML hitters at some point this season as a starter or reliever
      4) Jorge Guzman. Walks are in the way so far. Any progress will depend on better control.
      5) Rogers. Classic overhype of a high school kid. He probably gave up more runs in two Greensboro starts than in his entire high school career. Impossible to say how it will go for him.
      6) Garrett. Out for the year and we can't possibly have a clue.
      7) Sierra. We do have a clue. A real longshot to ever contribute.
      8) Anderson. Fine fielder that can play OF and all the IF except SS and C. Will he be able to hit homers or rake .290? If not, he'll make a solid reserve.
      9) Diaz. The odds are not good. Huge turnaround needed.
      10) Niedert. I like him. With a tendency to start yielding runs after a few innings, he may be best suited for the BP, but he is definitely improving.

MY TOP TEN
      1) Caleb Smith 2) Pablo Lopez 3) Trevor Richards 4) Alcantara 5) Niedert 6) Brian Anderson 7) Miller 8) Joe Dunand 9) Kearns 10) D Peters Sleeper) Lazaro Alonso (Kearns was a typo for another Austin (Dean)

Back to the 2019 present. I took a solid bashing from the forum concerning my evaluation, but I'll live with it.
      Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-26-2019, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• You also said Brian Miller reminded you of Christian Yelich. I still think 27-year old Caleb Smith is not a prospect, but I've liked him ever since we got him.

Comment

• In sports, a prospect is any player whose rights are owned by a professional team, but who has yet to surpass a threshold where they achieve rookie status (as defined by their respective league), or is not established with the team yet. Prospects can sometimes be assigned to farm teams, or loaned to lower ranked teams.
          Prospect (sports) - Wikipedia
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospect_(sports)

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
            I would raise this to summer 2020, but only give him a cushy lineup spot until the all star break this year and see if that helps.

I'd like to unapologetically see this to help Brinson. A pure sandwich of the 4 other "good" hitters versus righties, and pray to god against lefties between the only other two you can exude any confidence in.

RHP
            LF Granderson
            3B Anderson
            CF Brinson
            1B Walker
            2B Castro
            C Alfaro
            RF Cooper
            SS Riddle

LHP
            2B Castro
            CF Brinson
            3B Anderson
            C Alfaro
            LF/RF/1B Cooper
            1B/LF Prado
            LF/RF/SS Whoever is playing from Walker/Granderson/Herrera/Riddle which will be a disaster
            SS/LF/RF Rojas

- - - - - - - - - -

I hope we see a C, 4th OF who can play CF, and a better lefty.

Aflaro, "NEW"
            Walker, Prado
            Castro
            Riddle, Rojas
            Anderson
            Granderson
            Brinson, "NEW"
            Cooper

Urena, Richards, Ca. Smith, Pablo, Alcantara
            Romo, Steckenrider, Guerrero, Brice, Anderson/Kinley
            Conley, Chen, "NEW"

Bonus points for picking up a better RHP reliever and stashing guys in AAA and DFA'ing Prado for literally any bat that has any potential at any position

- - - - - - - - - -

It's normal for a team to add 5 guys in the spring training DFA period right?
            Bad teams usually add 2 or 3 DFA guys. C and OF DFA market should be nuts

Wallach would pass thru easy if added a C. If we get a OF we can option Kinley or DFA Herrera

Still not sure why we didnt just sign a RP in FA

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
            My post from May of last year:

Checking in on the MLB Pipeline Top Ten
            1) Brinson Headed to New Orleans after bringing up the rear of all ML hitters
            2) Harrison Looking disturbingly like Brinson 2.0. Once the K's come down to earth, he can actually be evaluated
            3) Alcantara Lacking swing and miss stuff, but getting the walks under control. He'll get a chance to face ML hitters at some point this season as a starter or reliever
            4) Jorge Guzman. Walks are in the way so far. Any progress will depend on better control.
            5) Rogers. Classic overhype of a high school kid. He probably gave up more runs in two Greensboro starts than in his entire high school career. Impossible to say how it will go for him.
            6) Garrett. Out for the year and we can't possibly have a clue.
            7) Sierra. We do have a clue. A real longshot to ever contribute.
            8) Anderson. Fine fielder that can play OF and all the IF except SS and C. Will he be able to hit homers or rake .290? If not, he'll make a solid reserve.
            9) Diaz. The odds are not good. Huge turnaround needed.
            10) Niedert. I like him. With a tendency to start yielding runs after a few innings, he may be best suited for the BP, but he is definitely improving.

MY TOP TEN
            1) Caleb Smith 2) Pablo Lopez 3) Trevor Richards 4) Alcantara 5) Niedert 6) Brian Anderson 7) Miller 8) Joe Dunand 9) Kearns 10) D Peters Sleeper) Lazaro Alonso (Kearns was a typo for another Austin (Dean)

Back to the 2019 present. I took a solid bashing from the forum concerning my evaluation, but I'll live with it.
            People bash u because u dont look at ages or levels. U think 26 yr olds in A Ball are prospects

Comment

• Considering how wrong you were on Anderson, where literally everyone else would have had him above your "top 5", I don't think you should be patting yourself on the back with the single biggest miss on the board. But a genuine kudos for putting Caleb, Pablo, and Richards about 10-15 spots higher than where everyone else would have. They certainly exceeded expectations. However, it is important to note many of the guys "ahead" of them haven't broke yet with the club (Diaz, Monte, Neidert, Garret, Rogers, Devers, Cabrera, Guzman, etc.), so proclaiming victory is a bit premature. Another Anderson level miss or two and your list is a disaster. Of course, Pablo and Richards turning into 3s change things dramatically in the other way.

What I'm waiting for is the new 2019 Lee top 20. Personally, I would go:

1 - Sixto
              (Anderson would be here if he counted)
              (large large gap)

2 - Scott
              3A - Diaz
              3B - VVM
              5 - Neidert
              (small gap)

6 - Alcantara
              7 - Guzman
              (Pablo would be here. I find the fastball speed ticking up very interesting)
              (small gap)

8 - Garrett
              9 - Monte (Brinson would be here in a tie)
              10 - Devers
              (small gap)

11-15 - Gallen, E. Cabrera, Stewart, Banfield, Rogers (no order) < - Ca. Smith and Richards would be here too.
              I acknowledgedly might have some whiffs here as I do like all of these guys as future potential SP and one or two could hit and move up big time. We'll see if they get third pitches, control, MPH bumps, etc.

16-20 - Holloway, Osiris, Quijada, Yamamoto, Miller (no order)

Comment

• Other than Guzman it looks about right.

Guzman is a RP/Closer.

Guys who have big chance to jump are Garrett,Banfield,Givin,Cabrera and drops are Rogers,Osiris. Yamamoto is the wildcard-he could make big jump if shows can stick as SP or drop if RP only

Pompey,Nelson and Torres are guys who could jump too

Comment

• I find it very hard to rank VVM since we have only scouting reports (and seemingly widely varying scouting reports) to go on.

Comment

• I will give lee stone credit on Richards but he also neglected to mention he also was high on like 6-8 other non prospects that were god awful

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                    I find it very hard to rank VVM since we have only scouting reports (and seemingly widely varying scouting reports) to go on.
                    Same. He is just a wait and see kind of guy. Doesn’t help he got hurt first game. I’d start him at Jupiter and hope he impresses

Comment

• Jax and Jupiter rotations are gonna be fun to watch and both have multiple bats who could become prospects or get killed

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                      I will give lee stone credit on Richards but he also neglected to mention he also was high on like 6-8 other non prospects that were god awful

- - - - - - - - - -

Same. He is just a wait and see kind of guy. Doesn’t help he got hurt first game. I’d start him at Jupiter and hope he impresses
                      Hearing Jax for VV but probably depends on his hammy. Doesnt really matter where he is to start year- plan is VV to be in Jax most of year than AFL for more AB's. 2020 ST ML LF

Comment

• Don't understand your comment on Anderson, Lou. I had him 6th and all the touts (such as MLB Pipeline) had him lower (note that he was #8 for Pipeline). I simply shared my personal list from this board from last year. You can choose whether to pat me on the back or slap me on the ass. It is/was what it is/was.

Comment

• My Top 10

1. Sixto
                          2. Alcantara
                          3. Neidert
                          4. Diaz
                          5. VVM
                          6. Scott
                          7. Monte
                          8. Yamamoto
                          9. Stewart
                          10A. Devers 10B. Banfield 10C. Osiris

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                            Other than Guzman it looks about right.

Guzman is a RP/Closer
                            I think Alcantara is that too and I was ranking them as RP, albeit potentially really good ones. I think a potentially elite RP, like a Seranthony Dominguez, will outweigh most true "#3/4" SP types. I'll take 65 elite innings over 180 pretty good ones given the amount relievers are now making in free agency. We'd all take a Dominguez over a slightly better Urena type basically, hence my thought process.

Comment

• I'm more of a fan of Sir Anthony Hopkins

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                                My Top 10

1. Sixto
                                2. Alcantara
                                3. Neidert
                                4. Diaz
                                5. VVM
                                6. Scott
                                7. Monte
                                8. Yamamoto
                                9. Stewart
                                10A. Devers 10B. Banfield 10C. Osiris
                                I can get behind this besides Yamamoto. I like him for who he is as a prospect, but I won't be a true believer until we see him get MLB hitters out a third time through the league. I fear the hitters catch up to the deception, but maybe he is a unicorn.

That'll be so sad if Yamamoto turns into the next Badenhop and Brinson and Monte are crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X