Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd rather spend $4 million extra on Dietrich than have Prado on the active roster. Just saying.

- - - - - - - - - -

Prado, Herrera, and Wallach are the problems, not Walker and Granderson.

They should replace them with Cargo (i.e. Dietrich), Marisnick/Janikowski/Lagares or Broxton/Others once they are DFA'd and don't make their teams, and Maldonado/Wieters.

They would still be real bad, but there is something to be said about fielding a more competitive team. That will help develop all the kids as they'll have a fighting chance to win games versus having some serious black holes with the bottom quarter of the roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
      I'd rather spend $4 million extra on Dietrich than have Prado on the active roster. Just saying.

- - - - - - - - - -

Prado, Herrera, and Wallach are the problems, not Walker and Granderson.

They should replace them with Cargo (i.e. Dietrich), Marisnick/Janikowski/Lagares or Broxton/Others once they are DFA'd and don't make their teams, and Maldonado/Wieters.

They would still be real bad, but there is something to be said about fielding a more competitive team. That will help develop all the kids as they'll have a fighting chance to win games versus having some serious black holes with the bottom quarter of the roster.
      Herrera doesn't seem like a problem to me. I don't think he's assured of a spot anyway. At the very least, he's an upgrade over Yadiel Rivera (I know that isn't saying much). Wallach shouldn't be on any Major League roster, even this one. As for Prado, I get wanting to see him be healthy and playing since they are paying him regardless. I personally would just eat the money and let him go. I suppose that is still an option.

I do agree about adding CarGo or another OF. He seems like a perfect fit for this roster. Hopefully they revisit that again.

Marisnick/Janikowski/Lagares are all too similar to what they already have...what they need is another productive bat in the lineup (and one that will hit enough to have value in July).

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
        Herrera doesn't seem like a problem to me. I don't think he's assured of a spot anyway. At the very least, he's an upgrade over Yadiel Rivera (I know that isn't saying much). Wallach shouldn't be on any Major League roster, even this one. As for Prado, I get wanting to see him be healthy and playing since they are paying him regardless. I personally would just eat the money and let him go. I suppose that is still an option.

I do agree about adding CarGo or another OF. He seems like a perfect fit for this roster. Hopefully they revisit that again.

Marisnick/Janikowski/Lagares are all too similar to what they already have...what they need is another productive bat in the lineup (and one that will hit enough to have value in July).
        Herrera is guaranteed a roster spot right now the way I see it.

Brinson is going to start in CF.

As mentioned in threads above, they are highly incentivized to keep Sierra in the minors this season to not burn an option (i.e., he would have to be on 2020 team if they burn that this year and they don't need to do that). I don't think we are seeing Sierra at the MLB level this year given his youth. He's the only other CF on the 40 man not named....

Monte Harrison and he ain't coming up right away.

Dean and I suppose Cooper are the other OF on the 40 man. They aren't playing CF.

Walker, O'Brien, and Granderson aren't playing CF.

The non-roster invitee OF who could win a spot - Guerrero and Ramirez - are corner players.

The others are Brian Miller (not coming up), VVM (not coming up), and...... Isaac Galloway.

Straight up right now Herrera versus Galloway is the 4th OF competition as they just physically need a CF. Unless of course anyone thinks Rojas and I guess Anderson are going to play some CF innings?

The only rational idea I can think of is, they did a survey of the other clubs, see what their rosters are going to look like, and anticipate that numerous acceptable backup CF will get DFA'd (i.e., Marisnick, Janikowski, Lagares, etc.) so they can wait and the problem fixes itself without devoting resources to the situation. Herrera just can't be Plan A even if they like him. The rebuilding Royals cut him!

Also, Marisnick is really perfect. Elite elite defender and can hit lefties (he dipped last year, but hit them in 2017 a bit harder). He's perfect to match with Granderson vs LHP, play some RF here and there, and backup Brinson. Plus controlled next year if he goes all poor man's Mike Cameron and decides to hit .240 like he did in 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          There is gonna be a work stoppage in the coming years 100%. Idk the solution to incentivize teams to promote their prospects rather than keep them down or for quality veterans like Dietrich to get the money they deserve but man, this current system just isn’t working and isn’t sustainable for the veteran players. Maybe you automatically get like 7 or 8 years of a players beginning of their career from the time they are drafted and then they become free agents could work. That way teams are incentivized to promote guys when they are ready and players then hit free agency earlier in their career so they aren’t hitting free agency at ages like 30+ where it’s not smart for teams to spend on them.

Maybe that’s not the best idea but this seems destined for a work stoppage that drastically changes the business of baseball and the smart way to build teams
          And just like '94, right when the Marlins get any momentum, this will happen and kill any momentum/interest people have in the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            DD issue was doesn't hit for enough power and doesn't hit for enough average. U can be a .240 25HR guy or a .300 8HR guy but not .250 15HR guy. Will say he is made for AL DH so surprised no AL signed him. Also doesn't help when u are terrible in the field but this is the way MLB is going-prove u can play and beat out the young cheap guy instead of a team giving u a massive deal

Yep DD was who Tino choked

1000% will be a strike and it will be ALL on the players. They all ask for 5 yr/100 million dollar deals then cry when they don't get it-no teams are giving some 34 yr old 20 million when u can get a 24 yr old for 500K. Gone are the days when teams would just give out money and roster spots
            lol. i love how people bought into the idea that the wannabe millionaire players are greedy when the billionaire owners (well maybe all except the dorks who own our team), who are seeing record income, get a free pass to not spend money and not even try to compete in many cases.

but it's the players' fault. they're the ones who eat absolute shit for years toiling in the minor leagues and then are paid a forced minimum for years and trash arbitration. all the while, their service time is manipulated, and then they don't, apparently, even get the big free agency payoff anymore like they used to. it's definitely their fault.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            There is gonna be a work stoppage in the coming years 100%. Idk the solution to incentivize teams to promote their prospects rather than keep them down or for quality veterans like Dietrich to get the money they deserve but man, this current system just isn’t working and isn’t sustainable for the veteran players. Maybe you automatically get like 7 or 8 years of a players beginning of their career from the time they are drafted and then they become free agents could work. That way teams are incentivized to promote guys when they are ready and players then hit free agency earlier in their career so they aren’t hitting free agency at ages like 30+ where it’s not smart for teams to spend on them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
              lol. i love how people bought into the idea that the wannabe millionaire players are greedy when the billionaire owners (well maybe all except the dorks who own our team), who are seeing record income, get a free pass to not spend money and not even try to compete in many cases.

but it's the players' fault. they're the ones who eat absolute shit for years toiling in the minor leagues and then are paid a forced minimum for years and trash arbitration. all the while, their service time is manipulated, and then they don't, apparently, even get the big free agency payoff anymore like they used to. it's definitely their fault.
              You would think if anybody would understand this it would be Marlins fans.

We got years of moaning and complaining about how the team wasn't making money, and how they couldn't spend money on the team because they were making so little. Then they sell the team for more than a billion dollars more than they bought it for.

You can say, well the market will dictate what they're worth, but when only half the teams are trying to win, the market is f'ed.
              Last edited by Nick; 02-19-2019, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madman81 View Post

- - - - - - - - - -

We see how 325 million deals work or even Chen type deals(36 getting 22 million). I agree on minors and arbitration stuff but Scott Boras/agents need to stop pumping average guys up. Guys are 31/32 asking for 25 million when they are 37 then when teams are like hell no they cry about how cheap owners are.

Miami will have 40-60 million to do stuff with soon. Lets see how much Boras and other cry when about how cheap Miami is then

Machado has a solid offer(250M+)from SD however he doesn't really wanna go there. He wants NYY to offer that. Dallas Keuchel had solid offers however they were from teams he had no interest in(Cincy). These FA want to only go to certain teams and get paid as well
                Last edited by tjfla; 02-19-2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

We see how 325 million deals work or even Chen type deals(36 getting 22 million). I agree on minors and arbitration stuff but Scott Boras/agents need to stop pumping average guys up. Guys are 31/32 asking for 25 million when they are 37 then when teams are like hell no they cry about how cheap owners are.

Miami will have 40-60 million to do stuff with soon. Lets see how much Boras and other cry when about how cheap Miami is then

Machado has a solid offer(250M+)from SD however he doesn't really wanna go there. He wants NYY to offer that. Dallas Keuchel had solid offers however they were from teams he had no interest in(Cincy). These FA want to only go to certain teams and get paid as well
                  your statement that the strike will be all on the players is absolute trash. the end.

Comment

• The strike is going to come right as the Marlins get competitive and will destroy baseball in Miami for good. Just like Montreal.
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                      The strike is going to come right as the Marlins get competitive and will destroy baseball in Miami for good. Just like Montreal.
                      That's what I just said lol.

---

Machado to the Padres on a 10-year, $300M deal, opt out after 5 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                        That's what I just said lol.

---

Machado to the Padres on a 10-year, $300M deal, opt out after 5 years.
                        Manny gets his money from a team he has no interest in playing for.

Comment

• On behalf of the United States and the great State of California, special thanks to Manny Machado for the $142M pledge to government operations over the next ten years. He's a far better American than I!
                          Last edited by Lee Stone; 02-19-2019, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                            On behalf of the United States and the great State of California, special thanks to Manny Machado for the $145M pledge to government operations over the next ten years.
                            He will be opting out after 5 unless SD is in WS. Machado wanted to be in NY or Miami but neither had interest for the price. He took the cash

Question now is does Miami want him for 30 million a season after 2023?
                            Last edited by tjfla; 02-19-2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

He will be opting out after 5 unless SD is in WS. Machado wanted to be in NY or Miami but neither had interest for the price. He took the cash

Question now is does Miami want him for 30 million a season after 2023?
                              No, but they should be all over Xander

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                                No, but they should be all over Xander
                                Xander and #1 SP by 2021 OR #1 SP and try for Correa/Lindor in 2022

Be just like SD

Comment

Working...
                                X