2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lou View Post

I think he is an easy 40 man cut or trade him to a team that wants him. He's a AAAA guy. Stowers has a better hit profile if either work out (but yes he seems underwhelming. Everyone strikes out too much here). Stowers does have an option so he can get 500 PA in AAA very easily next year and be a call up if say, Dane works out.
    At some point you have to trust what you're seeing on the field. We saw both Stowers and Conine for a big chunk of the 2nd half, and Conine was clearly the more productive player.

Comment

I refuse to believe they don't get a SS and a right handed CF. They gave Edwards his shot at SS, he failed. It's time to move him to 2B.

This is also why I think Edwards/Serna is a trade chip as there is a 2B overload (as might be Norby's and Sanoja's best position too), as that would in addition to getting something else (i.e. part of that package for a SS or CF), open a 40 man spot to keep say Hill or get another OF (So Stowers can more easily stay in AAA). That's kind of important. Given Edwards has hit a bit (despite that .398 BABIP....), I imagine this is Serna being moved unless they are supremely confident Serna and Otto can handle SS for years.
      Seems like you're down on Edwards and I don't understand why. If you're watching the games, Edwards has incredible bat to ball skills, Arraez levels, I'll go ahead and say it. Edwards 31/35 in SBs in 70 games. Over 162 games that comes out to 72 SBs. Will he continue to have a .398 BABIP? No, but I don't think .350-.360 is all that hard to believe, plus he only just turned 25, he's going to get better. He didn't fail at SS, the Marlins played him at a spot where almost everyone knew he didn't have the necessary skills to be able to fill that position, but he was put there because they threw up a prayer in a season that was lost, and they had failed to develop any other viable SS candidates. They should deal your boy Otto if anybody. Nice Bendix pickup, but clearly they don't see him as an everyday SS, or else they wouldn't have gone through with Edwards at SS. We don't need a light hitting great defensive 2nd Baseman. We need hitters and we need them desperately Edwards is a great hitter and will be for a long time in this league, you keep those around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick View Post

At some point you have to trust what you're seeing on the field. We saw both Stowers and Conine for a big chunk of the 2nd half, and Conine was clearly the more productive player.
        You bet on Stowers' contact profile being better IMO. You see the red on Stowers which is not there for Conine. Conine is ultimately, a very small sample size in September compared to being a relative non-prospect for years because of the whiffs.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savan...-r-hitting-mlb

They are overall, basically the same player and neither will make it striking out this much so this discussion may not matter. It probably boils down to one question - who do you think strikes out less? They should keep that one and the other probably is a 40 man cut

Comment

You bet on Stowers' contact profile being better IMO. You see the red on Stowers which is not there for Conine. Conine is ultimately, a very small sample size in September compared to being a relative non-prospect for years because of the whiffs.

They are overall, basically the same player and neither will make it striking out this much so this discussion may not matter. It probably boils down to one question - who do you think strikes out less? They should keep that one and the other probably is a 40 man cut
          Conine is 6 months older than Stowers. They were both 2nd round picks.

Comment

Seems like you're down on Edwards and I don't understand why. If you're watching the games, Edwards has incredible bat to ball skills, Arraez levels, I'll go ahead and say it. Edwards 31/35 in SBs in 70 games. Over 162 games that comes out to 72 SBs. Will he continue to have a .398 BABIP? No, but I don't think .350-.360 is all that hard to believe, plus he only just turned 25, he's going to get better. He didn't fail at SS, the Marlins played him at a spot where almost everyone knew he didn't have the necessary skills to be able to fill that position, but he was put there because they threw up a prayer in a season that was lost, and they had failed to develop any other viable SS candidates. They should deal your boy Otto if anybody. Nice Bendix pickup, but clearly they don't see him as an everyday SS, or else they wouldn't have gone through with Edwards at SS. We don't need a light hitting great defensive 2nd Baseman. We need hitters and we need them desperately Edwards is a great hitter and will be for a long time in this league, you keep those around.
            I agree with the bold and have been saying that for awhile? He should be a high BABIP player with the lack of whiffs + speed?????? I think we can all buy .280/.350/.375 being a base line, but that comes with very good base running and likely good defense at 2B which is a very good player. And there are good year spikes to that where he might hit .295-.310, and the downside may not be that vast with the speed to bloop his way on base. He's good, but he's not a .398 BABIP player, nor a SS. He failed at SS. He's one of the worst defensive players in the league at SS. Make no mistake about it.

I also have been saying this for weeks - they should trade one of Edwards, Serna, Otto, and Norby to alleviate a 2B logjam, but considering Norby might offer some hope at 3B (and can then become the LF probably as they have many left handed OF now and coming), and Otto will likely not attract enough significance in trade until he does it again as this year certainly came out of nowhere, the smartest idea to me is moving Edwards or Serna in a package for a SS or CF (that is of course, unless Serna + Otto can handle SS for years). If Otto can attract the value, sure send him out as they need hitters and they can do a lot of different things with their depth to trade for those hitters. Ultimately, any can go. Even past these guys, they have more 2B in the farm (Johnson, Pauley, Sanoja, maybe even Cappe reclaims some form or G. Miller looks OK in a year, etc.). There is just nothing at SS until they do actually sign Salas.

Frankly, I think they can trade all of this for a SS and CF and not bat an eye. That's 1 guy per line that is moveable:

Luzardo/Garrett/Weathers/Snelling
            Noble/Max
            Burger/DDLS/Martorella
            Edwards/Serna/Norby/Otto
            Mazur/Fulton/Benitez/Santana/May
            Cronin/Tinoco/Mazur/Maldonado
            Sanchez/Morlando/Head
            Valor/Cova/Cruz

Turn 8 into 2. We won't bat an eye if that's a longterm SS and CF on paper losing 1 guy per tier above, and there is a SP + bat double centerpiece for each as something like Luzardo/Burger/Cronin (Boston needs lefty SP and righty bats, has many OF and IF options. K. Campbell seems perfect for CF, as well as Meidroth as a throw in for 3B/bench) and Noble/Serna/Head/Valor (Zach Neto) would be really epic additions for someone. If that gets the players the Marlins need, so be it. The Marlins have real depth they can move.

Pick and choose who you want to move and maybe your list would be different, I am just big picturing this on depth not picking who I think is smartest to move. But for me, it is probably..... Luzardo, Noble, Burger, Serna, Benitez, Cronin, Valor, and the lefty OF is harder so it would depend on who is coming back but ultimately can be anyone. I'd trade all of those 8 in a heart beat to get a long term SS and CF to match with Mack/Ramirez, DDLS/Martorella, Edwards/Otto, Norby, and Sanoja... which all of a sudden becomes really cohesive when "top 3 pick" in 2025 is added to this group... and you still have Sandy, Eury, Cabrera, Max, and Garrett, Weathers, Snelling, White, and Fulton, with a full bullpen of reasonable options.

And this is the "don't spend money" approach where they will at least have bucks for 1 year guys.

Basically, Edwards is fine but could be expendable. We'll see what they do, but I don't see a McCann, Canha, and bader "barf" level offseason. That's a 2024 repeat with Anderson, Gordon, and Brujan. I think they will do trades. Maybe as not "big" as I mention above, but tangible moves in some capacity.

Comment

Conine is 6 months older than Stowers. They were both 2nd round picks.
              I literally don't care which one they keep, I think they have room for 1 on the 40 man so whoever they think whiffs less is the keep. I think that is probably Stowers, but wouldn't argue it's a toss up as neither showed a lot.

If they want to keep both, they have to kick someone like Bride (I would be OK with that TBH as there is more upside with Stowers or Conine among all players who likely don't make it) or Dane (I wouldn't do that, I'd keep Dane) off the 40 man.

Comment

• To add to Xavier’s struggles at SS……..it’s not like he was thrown into a position he’s never played either.

He’s been a SS his entire life. He’s going to be a really good 2B.

Comment

Working...
                X