This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lou View Post
    https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...228304879.html - Interesting read from a "veteran MLB scout"

TL;DR - In order of positive news

-Brian Anderson is a future all-star
    -Sandy looks better, still has ace potential
    -Pablo looks much better, stuff "not far behind" Sandy
    -Alfaro and Diaz are probably "fine" starters moving forward
    -Richards is a back of the rotation starter, needs a better 3rd pitch
    -Dean might be a bench outfielder
    -O'Brien and Cooper stink
    -Brinson and Monte stink and spring training fastballs won't help them in regular season

No mentions of Ca. Smith, Urena, VVM, Neidert, relievers, etc.

There is a lot to like there besides the last line.
    And then there is our take ... which we should value more because we follow the team more closely.

Brian Anderson is a solid player that bloomed slowly. Actually, Austin Dean is an excellent comp. Both players spray the ball to all fields and don't try to do too much. Both had modest results in their first look at the bigs. Both hit well the following spring. The main difference? Anderson was plugged into the starting lineup the following season and Dean has been replaced by a 38-year-old who did nothing but whiff all spring. Bad decision. (Do many realize that Dean was the third fastest Marlin last year, behind only Brinson and Realmuto?)

Sandy A has ace potential? Because he throws as hard as Jose Urena ... without the movement Jose gets? Alcantara walks too many batters to remain in a starting rotation. He has shown no sign of overcoming that.

Pablo's "stuff" is behind Alcantara? Pablo is the far better pitcher period.

Richards is a back of the rotation guy? We'll see about that. Marlins see him as their #2 right now.

Brinson and Harrison stink? Duh. We needed a "scout" to tell us that?

Cooper and O'Brien stink? I would agree that as maybe 1 1/2 tool players, they have severe limitations.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-28-2019, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
      As mentioned, Jeters smugness is easily the worst aspect of him being the face of the Marlins.

It’s really hard to watch him be interviewed about the rebuild. The way he handled (or did not handle) the fallout from the Stanton trade is one of the biggest sports PR failures in South Florida history.

A rebuild was in order for sure. But year one was a giant stink bomb.
      off the field i think it was a stink bomb just because they ran into so many preventable PR issues. As far as the development of players in the organization and building a much healthier franchise from top to bottom it was really good progress

On a side note, looking forward to seeing Luis Castillo and Chris paddack develop into top of the rotation guys in our rotation this year. oh wait. fuck. at least we got rodney and straily out of it. Marlins legends.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
        And then there is our take ... which we should value more because we follow the team more closely.

Comment

• I do agree with Lee somewhat on Dean. If Granderson isn't performing a month in move on and go to Dean, even if he does perform, try to deal him before July so Dean gets a significant look in the bigs.

I still think bringing in Granderson was a good move, the goal should be to a get a prospect even better than what Maybin got us last year. If we can do that, which I think is realistic, that move is a win.

Comment

• It's Opening Day fellas, time to lock this thread.
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
            X