Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If he’s cool with being a backup I don’t see why we would get hung up on that. That’s a big if though

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      If he’s cool with being a backup I don’t see why we would get hung up on that. That’s a big if though
      Because he also wants to play some(not just once a week) and the FO has made it know that Alfaro is gonna play tons. Mattingly also likes Holaday in same role as LY

Likely he will sign with Seattle who wants a vet who hits righty

Gonna be like this
      ML-Alfaro/Holaday
      AAA-Vigil/Wallach
      AA-Othman/Lopez
      Hi A-Chavez/Hernandez/Barnes
      Lo A-Banfield/Fortes/Osborne
      Rookie-Fish/?
      Rookie-Barstad/DSL guys

NO one from AAA to Hi A is a ML C. They are ALL defensive types who can NOT hit except Barnes(No Clue if he is even in system). Lo A has a solid bunch with the 3 of them probably rotating between C/1B/DH and Rookie Ball has interesting guys in Fish/Barstad

- - - - - - - - - -

Surprised we haven't signed many minor league FA(Only like 4/5). Gonna be interesting to see how aggressive they are with the promotions. Such a big change from last FO who would sign 40 guys every offseason and most were 25 yr olds in A Ball
      Last edited by tjfla; 02-21-2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        Not saying they have had the offers for awhile but its funny as hell to see all these reports about FA's having solid offers. The problem is the solid offers are for teams NO ONE wants to go to.

Marwin Gonzalez has a 3 yr offer from Minnesota but he is "waiting" to see if other deals come
        Josh Harrison signed with Detroit after hoping another team would jump in
        KC/SD signing guys

I agree the FA system is somewhat broke but if these guys want to get paid they are gonna have to realize that there is 30 teams in MLB and not 8

Note on Marwin: It seems he and his representatives at the Boras Corporation set out with a hefty asking price in the range of $60MM.

As for Martin Maldonado-Maldonado, however, is still seeking a fully guaranteed big league deal. Which is why we are OUT on him
        I don't get this comment

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          I don't get this comment
          Guys want tons of cash and only go to certain teams. Minnesota is willing to pay for Gonzalez but he is waiting to see if a team he wants to play for jumps in

- - - - - - - - - -

Guess Nick Vincent wanted to stay on the WC. Signs Invite Only deal with SF

Norris/Adam Warren/AJ/few others still on market but assume its Invite Only deals for them? We need to just offer Warren a ML contract and sign AJ/few other to minor league deals.

Give him a 2/5 with 2nd year option like KC has been giving out
          Last edited by tjfla; 02-21-2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• yes, players will only go to certain teams, and that's why machado just signed with *checks notes* the san diego padres.

Comment

• Random but sad news that Boston based sportswriter nick cafardo died today. Great writer who weirdly got a lot of Marlins tidbits over the years

Comment

Random but sad news that Boston based sportswriter nick cafardo died today. Great writer who weirdly got a lot of Marlins tidbits over the years
                That's crazy, he wasn't that old. Apparently an embolism.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                  That's crazy, he wasn't that old. Apparently an embolism.

Ya only 62. Judging by the tweets coming from others in the business he seemed to be a universally liked guy

Comment

Random but sad news that Boston based sportswriter nick cafardo died today. Great writer who weirdly got a lot of Marlins tidbits over the years
                    RIP
                    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                    Noah Perio
                    Jupiter
                    39 AB
                    15 H
                    0 2B
                    0 3B
                    0 HR
                    0 BB
                    .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                      yes, players will only go to certain teams, and that's why machado just signed with *checks notes* the san diego padres.
                      I think you are comparing apples to oranges....Machado is more interested in the $$$ and San Diego ponied up....because they made that investment, it behooves them to spend some more around him, and Machado knows that.

With these other guys, they are looking not only for the best deal, but since they aren't the supposed "game changer" guys, and they are looking not only at $$ but who has the best chance to win, especially on a 1 or 2 year deal. And they have to wait til the last minute to see which has the best of both. They may take just a little less to win but you gotta wait it out

2 different dynamics
                      Last edited by Maddawg; 02-22-2019, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                        I think you are comparing apples to oranges....Machado is more interested in the $$$ and San Diego ponied up....because they made that investment, it behooves them to spend some more around him, and Machado knows that.

With these other guys, they are looking not only for the best deal, but since they aren't the supposed "game changer" guys, and they are looking not only at $$ but who has the best chance to win, especially on a 1 or 2 year deal. And they have to wait til the last minute to see which has the best of both. They may take just a little less to win but you gotta wait it out

2 different dynamics
                        This makes no sense to me, and I really doubt this is the way it's playing out. If you're a journeyman in major league baseball you gotta make as much money as you can before you're out of the league so your family can live comfortably when you're out of the league at 31 and have to live the rest of your life. Stars have the luxury of being picky with location, not everybody has that luxury.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                          This makes no sense to me, and I really doubt this is the way it's playing out. If you're a journeyman in major league baseball you gotta make as much money as you can before you're out of the league so your family can live comfortably when you're out of the league at 31 and have to live the rest of your life. Stars have the luxury of being picky with location, not everybody has that luxury.
                          Maybe our needs are different, but if you get a one-year deal for $2.5 million and can't figure a way to live reasonably comfortably (especially with the chance of making more after baseball in another career) and coupled with a wife/domestic partner who also can make a living....then you are doing something wrong with your $$$ investments. The majority of Americans barely make over $1.5 million in their entire lifetime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                            Maybe our needs are different, but if you get a one-year deal for $2.5 million and can't figure a way to live reasonably comfortably (especially with the chance of making more after baseball in another career) and coupled with a wife/domestic partner who also can make a living....then you are doing something wrong with your $$$ investments. The majority of Americans barely make over $1.5 million in their entire lifetime.
                            Professional athletes aren't known for their tremendous investing decisions. It's a well known fact that most end up broke or in serious financial trouble within a couple of years of their playing careers. I can guarantee you no one is looking at it like well I made $2.5 million last year, I'm set for life so I can afford to take a deal for $2 million less to be able to live where I want. That doesn't make any sense.
                            Last edited by Nick; 02-22-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Making $2 million one year and then falling off the map does not provide you and your immediate family with a lifetime of financial security. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either 15 years old or not spending enough time calculating the costs of owning a home, providing health insurance and college to your family, food, retirement etc etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                                Professional athletes aren't known for their tremendous investing decisions. It's a well known fact that most end up broke or in serious financial trouble within a couple of years of their playing careers. I can guarantee you no one is looking at it like well I made $2.5 million last year, I'm set for life so I can afford to take a deal for $2 million less to be able to live where I want. That doesn't make any sense.
                                I might be wrong but I doubt there is an 80% difference between the contracts any player is offered if it's a 1 or 2 year deal. Of course $2.5 million >$500K - but I doubt the difference is more than $300 to $500K, which is a lot of money, but if the Marlins offer me $2.5 million & the Braves offer me $2.3 million, I'd give some really hard looks at that Atlanta offer.

Comment

Working...
                                X