This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
    We have severely jumped the gun in talking Nimmo, Rosario and more for Realmuto. Every report I have read suggests Nimmo, Conforto OR Rosario as headliner. No published report has suggested that more than one of those three would be made available. When you think about it instead of fantasize about it, why would the Mets give up two key parts of the team core, both with lots of control, for 2 years of Realmuto? It would make no sense. I think the Mets are probably out of the picture unless it's Rosario+Alonso or Nimmo+Giminez, that type of thing.
    Like trading for Cano does?

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    fair enough, I just like the potential of Rosario's bat a lot more than Giminez. Also, something about acquiring a 20 year old that still has braces as the centerpiece of a deal scares the living shit out of me in a deal for our last huge piece of talent that we are trading who has value.
    I think you have to get as sure bet of pieces as can be - this is our last big guy.

Comment

• Actually looked at Nimmo a little more. I sold him a little short yesterday.

He is absolutely terrible in CF. Slightly below average, but playable, in RF. This is really bringing down his overall defense.

However, he has been solid (slightly above average or neutral) in LF for his career. 5.5 UZR/150 in over 500 innings played.

I can completely live with him in LF as a floor neutral defender. That ticks him up. He's a very high floor guy with his BB rate and defense that doesn't kill you.

I am totally fine with Nimmo, Gimenez, Petersen, and Nido. They can have Wittgren too. Have to see what everyone else submits though to see if that's the winning bid.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
        Actually looked at Nimmo a little more. I sold him a little short yesterday.

He is absolutely terrible in CF. Slightly below average, but playable, in RF. This is really bringing down his overall defense.

However, he has been solid (slightly above average or neutral) in LF for his career. 5.5 UZR/150 in over 500 innings played.

I can completely live with him in LF as a floor neutral defender. That ticks him up. He's a very high floor guy with his BB rate and defense that doesn't kill you.

I am totally fine with Nimmo, Gimenez, Petersen, and Nido. They can have Wittgren too. Have to see what everyone else submits though to see if that's the winning bid.
        Would he be an option at 1B, or does that kill his value?

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
          As Lou detailed, Nimmo's fine as a corner OF. His value to the Marlins is purely as a trade piece because the team needs help everywhere - and he would be highly valued by other teams.

Comment

It'll hurt any of Brinson, Monte, VVM, or Nimmo's value to go to 1B (unless if they somehow are a natural there), but considering that the other three are supposedly all plus defensively and more "rangey" types, it would make the most sense to put Nimmo there if all 4 were to work out. Practically, he'd still need to hit more (or hit like 2018 and keep that average up. Also fun, he had a .950 OPS versus right handers).

I think if you get him, he's a hold for 2019 and stick him in LF. See what happens with all 4 of them. Maybe someone doesn't work out, and you still have 3 outfielders for the longterm picture. It's not like Brinson and Monte are completely safe right now.

If you're overwhelmed in a trade, sure move him. That really goes for anyone though. They have no untouchables right now if they get more longterm pieces.

Comment

• I put the true odds of Brinson, Harrison and VVM all becoming above replacement level everyday outfielders at 12-1
              Last edited by Namaste; 12-07-2018, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• Really, the only reason I kind of like the Mets deal is getting a longterm SS candidate. I can deal with another OF as the second guy in the deal, only if a major piece is a C/SS/#2 or better potential SP, and a third piece is a C/SS/1B/SP.

As the broken record of my posts are, the three biggest needs in my eyes are a longterm C, SS, and Ace SP, no order. Ideally you get two for Realmuto, but if the deals don't work out with Atlanta/Houston/Dodgers/etc., at least you get the SS with the Mets.

Nimmo/Conforto and Petersen/Alonso aren't chump throw in players. All of them will be useful.

Comment

Really, the only reason I kind of like the Mets deal is getting a longterm SS candidate. I can deal with another OF as the second guy in the deal, only if a major piece is a C/SS/#2 or better potential SP, and a third piece is a C/SS/1B/SP.

As the broken record of my posts are, the three biggest needs in my eyes are a longterm C, SS, and Ace SP, no order. Ideally you get two for Realmuto, but if the deals don't work out with Atlanta/Houston/Dodgers/etc., at least you get the SS with the Mets.

Nimmo/Conforto and Petersen/Alonso aren't chump throw in players. All of them will be useful.
                  IF you got Nimmo and Giminez from the Mets, you could fill all three of those needs. SS Giminez Ace SP Soroka and C Contreras. Securing the latter two for Nimmo would be a slam dunk. Getting the Mets to give up their two guys is more the problem.

Comment

• Again, it's hard enough to project one trade let alone two, but sure. Can't imagine the Mets would be interested in Nimmo going to Atlanta either so there are lots of problems there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                      I put the true odds of Brinson, Harrison and VVM all becoming above replacement level everyday outfielders at 12-1
                      Those odds may be too kind. Everyone sees things differently, but Brinson looked pretty hopeless to me. When a guy has to start his swing so early, it's easy to get fooled. Maybe he could play for the Rockies, where curve balls don't move much. Harrison was the Fall League poster boy last year, where even as a taxi squader he impressed everyone with one majestic homer after another. This year was a whiff. According to the fangraph writers who covered this year's Fall League, Monte's new swing was a mess. He cut down on strikeouts (slightly), but at the cost of power and lift. He was reduced to hitting almost nothing but ground balls. Harrison has a steep hill to climb. By virtue of being a total unknown, Victor Victor is our great Cuban Hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                        I put the true odds of Brinson, Harrison and VVM all becoming above replacement level everyday outfielders at 12-1
                        We can say a lot of bad things about Brinson, but he did have a .257 BABIP, his offensive woes were clearly carrying into the field with some truly awful plays, he got hurt right when he started hitting in June, he always walked in the minors so there is real hope there he figures out the zone at the MLB level, and his power is very very real if he can translate it into games.

Maybe he is nothing which would be disappointing, but get him hitting even .230, with a few more walks, above average defense, and legitimate speed on the basepaths, and that's a solid starter. He may never be a star, but if he's jacking 25-30 bombs hitting 7th, has an OBP over .300, and plays good defense, that's definitely a longterm starter on club controlled prices.

I'm interested in watching him in 2018, but could lose interest fast with another 250 PA of garbage.

Comment

Really, the only reason I kind of like the Mets deal is getting a longterm SS candidate. I can deal with another OF as the second guy in the deal, only if a major piece is a C/SS/#2 or better potential SP, and a third piece is a C/SS/1B/SP.

That's why the deal I'd most like to see happen is with Colorado, with Brendan Rodgers as the centerpiece.

Comment

That's why the deal I'd most like to see happen is with Colorado, with Brendan Rodgers as the centerpiece.
                            Problem with that is Rodger's lack of mobility needed to stay at SS. His hitting would still be a plus at 2B. 3B not so much.

From his scouting report: When Rodgers was in high school, scouts debated whether he was a long-term shortstop. The consensus now is that while he doesn't have the quickness and range teams typically desire there, his arm strength and instincts allow him to get the job done at short. He could be a solid defender at second or third base, though Nolan Arenado blocks him at the hot corner in Colorado.

I do like Colorado as a trade partner. Tyler Nevin was one of the best looking hitters in the AFL. Rodgers would be great.
                            Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-07-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Agreed with this, but i dont think giminez is enough as a #1 in order to justify Nimmo. I just dont see his ceiling being high enough and Giminez is not enough of a prospect to overcome that. Like ive said, I think the only way i take a mets deal is if we get Conforto or Nimmo, Rosario, and Alonso. that would be a phenomenal deal IMO and id be fine in that situation of keeping the OF and then evaluating our OF future after we see another year of guys like Monte, VV, pompey, etc. to see what our OF future holds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                                Problem with that is Rodger's lack of mobility needed to stay at SS. His hitting would still be a plus at 2B. 3B not so much.

From his scouting report: When Rodgers was in high school, scouts debated whether he was a long-term shortstop. The consensus now is that while he doesn't have the quickness and range teams typically desire there, his arm strength and instincts allow him to get the job done at short. He could be a solid defender at second or third base, though Nolan Arenado blocks him at the hot corner in Colorado.

I do like Colorado as a trade partner. Tyler Nevin was one of the best looking hitters in the AFL. Rodgers would be great.
                                Yeah, I read that report. It sounds like they think he can stick there despite limited range.

Comment

Working...
                                X