No announcement yet.

2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad idea...Goldschmidt on a 1 year deal to bridge gap to DDLS/other options. If he regains any spark deal him at deadline or just jettison him.
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
      Bad idea...Goldschmidt on a 1 year deal to bridge gap to DDLS/other options. If he regains any spark deal him at deadline or just jettison him.
      Sounds like a typical situations where he’ll go to another team have a great year and why didn’t we sign him, or we will somehow wind up signing him and he’ll completely collapse and be yet another terrible vet signing because we always seem to sign the vet bat one year too late lol

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

I appreciate it - and it is a direct correlation to not doing jackshit in the offseason last year setting up the team for the terrible start and lost season quickly.

Maybe, just maybe, Bruce will realize you have to spend money to make money, and yes cue Todd saying he is already making money due to the revenue sharing model which he is right about (+equity in team on future sale price does rise) so there is no incentive for Bruce to do anything, but we can hope.
        Yup, I’m surprised there wasn’t a bigger downturn, but it’ll be interesting to see if there’s a hangover where fewer people come out next year.

who knows

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post

Yup, I’m surprised there wasn’t a bigger downturn, but it’ll be interesting to see if there’s a hangover where fewer people come out next year.

who knows
          i wonder if the majority of that downturn is just a decrease in season tickets or individual game sales. would love to see the breakdown of season tickets over the years. it feels like the season tickets could account for a lot of the decrease coming off of a playoff season and doing nothing. feels like we have a baked in number of individual tickets sold because of how many other teams fans come to the ballpark over the course of the year between teams like the dodgers, yankees, mets, phillies, red sox, cubs, cardinals, etc.

Comment

• What do you do with Griffin Conine? He was actually not bad at all in his time in the bigs. (relatively small sample 89 ABs) Hit for power, played great defense, struck out a lot, but about what he was doing in AAA. Also his K's were down 5% from what he did in 2023 at AA/AAA.

This'll be a tough call.

Comment

• Dane Myers: .867 OPS in 86 PAs against lefties at the big leagues. Jesus Sanchez .800+ OPS vs. righties this year. Let that platoon ride.

Comment

• Kyle Stowers seems like a miss to me at this point. He's got options, right? Send him to AAA, hope for a breakout.

Comment

• This is what it looks like to me next year:

C: Fortes/???
                  1B/DH: Bride/Burger
                  2B: Otto
                  3B: Norby
                  SS: Edwards
                  LF: ??? (Conine?)
                  CF: ???
                  RF: Sanchez/Dane

UTIL: Brujan

If you count Conine that's 10 guys. 3 spots to fill. (Sanoja goes down for a little more seasoning)

If the opportunity comes to get a SS at any time, you take it, but Bruce ain't spending for Adames, and I'm not sure this offseason is the right time to try to deal one of our arms unfortunately. These guys have to come back, have to prove they're healthy and hopefully at that point we can make a killing at the deadline. Get that surefire stud SS or CF. Draft Holliday or one of those 2 College CF'ers. Then you get ready to rock. Next year will probably be rough again. Once this is all in place 2025/2026 Offseason would definitely be the time for Bruce to step up, but I don't think any of us are holding our breath.
                  Last edited by Nick; 09-30-2024, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Harrison Bader, Mark Canha, James McCann Free Agent signings.

1 year deals, deal them at the deadline.

Comment

• Death, taxes, and Aj puk giving up huge home runs in a key situation. Comes into a 0-0 game in the 9th on Saturday and gives up a single and 2 bombs immediately. He was great for them down the stretch but they could miss the playoffs depending on how things pan out today.

arraez won his 3rd straight batting title on his 3rd team

hoeing has also been great for San Diego since going
                      over there. If I had to pick a team to win it all this year they would be right up there but the playoffs are a crapshoot
                      Last edited by fish16; 09-30-2024, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick View Post
                        What do you do with Griffin Conine? He was actually not bad at all in his time in the bigs. (relatively small sample 89 ABs) Hit for power, played great defense, struck out a lot, but about what he was doing in AAA. Also his K's were down 5% from what he did in 2023 at AA/AAA.

This'll be a tough call.
                        I think he is an easy 40 man cut or trade him to a team that wants him. He's a AAAA guy. Stowers has a better hit profile if either work out (but yes he seems underwhelming. Everyone strikes out too much here). Stowers does have an option so he can get 500 PA in AAA very easily next year and be a call up if say, Dane works out.

Comment

Harrison Bader, Mark Canha, James McCann Free Agent signings.

1 year deals, deal them at the deadline.
                          barf

Comment

This is what it looks like to me next year:

C: Fortes/???
                            1B/DH: Bride/Burger
                            2B: Otto
                            3B: Norby
                            SS: Edwards
                            LF: ??? (Conine?)
                            CF: ???
                            RF: Sanchez/Dane

UTIL: Brujan

If you count Conine that's 10 guys. 3 spots to fill. (Sanoja goes down for a little more seasoning)

If the opportunity comes to get a SS at any time, you take it, but Bruce ain't spending for Adames, and I'm not sure this offseason is the right time to try to deal one of our arms unfortunately. These guys have to come back, have to prove they're healthy and hopefully at that point we can make a killing at the deadline. Get that surefire stud SS or CF. Draft Holliday or one of those 2 College CF'ers. Then you get ready to rock. Next year will probably be rough again. Once this is all in place 2025/2026 Offseason would definitely be the time for Bruce to step up, but I don't think any of us are holding our breath.
                            I would say this (and the parenthesis is rest of 40 man):

C - Fortes, _____ (Ramirez, Banfield)
                            1B - Burger, Bride (DDLS)
                            2B - Edwards, Otto (Serna)
                            SS - ________
                            3B - Norby (Pauley)
                            LF - Stowers
                            CF - _______, Sanoja (Mesa Jr.)
                            RF - Sanchez, Dane
                            =19 Bats

------> Also Mack, Martorella, Berry, Marsee, and I guess Pintar not on the 40 man*

I imagine the catcher blank line is a short term vet signed to a MiLB deal, and when Eury IL'd that guy is immediately added and we're balanced back at 20

I refuse to believe they don't get a SS and a right handed CF. They gave Edwards his shot at SS, he failed. It's time to move him to 2B.

This is also why I think Edwards/Serna is a trade chip as there is a 2B overload (as might be Norby's and Sanoja's best position too), as that would in addition to getting something else (i.e. part of that package for a SS or CF), open a 40 man spot to keep say Hill or get another OF (So Stowers can more easily stay in AAA). That's kind of important. Given Edwards has hit a bit (despite that .398 BABIP....), I imagine this is Serna being moved unless they are supremely confident Serna and Otto can handle SS for years.

I don't think next year will be rough with Sandy, Luzardo, Cabrera (step forward coming), Garrett, and Weathers, with Eury trailing and Snelling is rising. Max is the only one I feel down on, but then he becomes an amazing max effort reliever but we'll see there. This team will have to be this injured again to be this bad again. You might be right that it is not the time to trade a MLB SP, but I'd just footnote that excludes Noble. With how good White looks and getting Snelling/Mazur (and Fulton back from injury, and they might have hit on at least some prospect status with K. Benitez (top 20 in system everywhere) or Y. Santana (FG loves)), something has to give here about circling 2028 and putting a viable product on the field. If Adames/Kim are not on the table, it's figuring out how to trade for the two big blank lines at SS.

For instance, the Angels are terrible and Ward can play CF (just gets pushed over because of other guys) and Neto is "perfect" for the Marlins positionally and production wise. The Angels are going to be terrible forever so while Neto is a building block, he is entering later arbitration when they may be good again. You may be able to convince them to move him. I predict Trout is traded by July 31st so it's a tear down. That's the kind of thing I look at where blow them out of the fucking water. Like you said Holliday or a college CF (both lefties) is coming (plus Salas the huge IFA name), so major BAT prospects are coming so blow out some bats with Noble and do a 6-2 like...... Noble, Head/Morlando (both lefties), Serna, Mazur/Fulton/Benitez/Santana, Valor (their best 18 year old lottery ticket), and Ekness/Carpio/Pushard (their best RP prospects). Those are huge additions for 2 years of Ward and 5 years of Neto and the Marlins have some kind of package to work that out. It would be their version of the "yelich" move. Ward is good for now, and Neto is good for hopefully 5+ years. Angels get restocked fast trading Trout, Anderson, Sandoval, Renifgo, etc. on top of this and getting themselves a top 3 pick in 2026.

Then you're aiming for this sooner rather than later, and have plenty of SP left over.

C - Mack, Ramirez/Banfield
                            1B - Burger, DDLS/Ramirez/Martorella/Berry
                            2B - Edwards, Otto
                            SS - Neto
                            3B - ______
                            LF - Norby, "Pick another of the RF guys/Marotorella/Berry"
                            CF - _______, Sanoja/Mesa Jr./Marsee
                            RF - Sanchez/Ward/Dane/Stowers/Martorella/Marsee

3B/CF - Holliday/LaViolette/Cannarella

3B/CF - Sandy or Luzardo trade

Just saying here, they have juice to make moves beyond $$$ and can find something better than a Bader, Canha, McCann and do nothing offseason. Maybe this is optimistic, but the farm is deep, the SP will be healthy opening, so when are they going to open the year with a good team as they genuinely probably just need 3-5 bats. They are very aware of the bad media coverage. Maybe Bruce is OK with this simmering for more years, but like when is the tipping point?

Comment

• You’d have to assume they’ll trade Luzardo this winter, hopefully for a SS. If that’s the only SP they move, and they stay healthy next year, it’s probably not going to be an awful season regardless of how bad the lineup will be.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

barf
                                agreed, but that's what I'm expecting.

Comment

Working...
                                X