No announcement yet.

2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• honestly, i havent watched in a very long time, is fortes injured? and holy shit, our IL team is kind of crazy, Fortes, Sandy, Eury, Garrett, Luzardo. It's like a world series winning rotation in a marlins dream from 3 years ago.

Comment

• Edward Cabrera 0 ER's in 7 innings vs Padres
      3 BB's

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
        Edward Cabrera 0 ER's in 7 innings vs Padres
        3 BB's
        Extension as soon as humanely possible

Comment

• Ok this is a real thing. I think.

54% changeups (57 pitches), 93 MPH. Love it. Previous games 41 and 36%. This is a radical tick up. He’s thrown some 40s throughout the year but when you look at the logs some pop up low 30s with slider usage 10-15%.

22% curves (85 mph)

25% combined FB/sinker (95+)

0% sliders. This is a trend now.

No sliders still. Completely scrapped. Per year sliders have decreased 20-15-7-8% and it’s being phased out entirely now. And it’s a very good pitch. You’d want him to throw it! I wonder if that is health related as he’s obviously been hurt on and off for years and that’s going to be less wear. His best control pitch has always (arguably) been his change up so this is intentional on a pitch mix level to focus on not walking folks. This really explains less whiffs and walks in this game taking away his slider and making guys trying to square up on his changeup but they can’t. It’s a ballsy move just removing a plus pitch he has relied on for years. but you do understand walks plus health is more important. It’s pitching to contact like a 91 MPH FB pitcher, except he is throwing a hot lava changeup faster than that and then FB and sinkers even harder. The curve is also very good as a change of pace. He’s always had that. It’s a perfect secondary for how hard the changeup is. Who needs a slider anyways.

Not to go overboard but this a # 2 starter profile immediately if he is throwing for this control (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GUlNyuEX...pg&name=medium), top 20-35 overall SP in baseball. He drops the curve in for a few more strikes, gets the probably sinker or FB to spot a few more times (that’s not great on the pitch map above), or the slider just comes back if he is working through an injury and that becomes a 10+ pitch weapon per game being thrown for strikes, and we’re talking an ace quickly. Not joking here. The 2023 statcast was a breakout indication and now this is a sure as hell small sample size since his injury return but this is new and the control is popping up. He may need some quick hooks third time through like that first Baltimore game as he’ll probably always have control yips even when dealing earlier, but holy bejesus I think he might really be arriving. It’s that pitch mix where you convince the guy who can throw through the barn wall just pitch to contact, they can’t hit it, you don’t have to strike them all out, but you’ll still strike a lot of them out. It’s the pitcher maturation from a thrower to a tactician. I think it might be happening here. Pump changeups. No sliders. This is the fix. It sounds so simple but with guys not able to barrel often and usually it will be on the ground, it works. He looks completely awesome to me and the analytics are there. This isn’t a rogers learning to pitch with new lower velo and projecting to be a # 4 or a fun Bellozo cutter that is doing just enough to survive as an innings eater. This is a potential greatness breakout. Better than Luzardo cranking it up two years ago. Cabrera stuff is better I am all fucking in with what I am seeing here. Hopefully this is not just a SSS blip.

I know no one watches the games and of course he will be drilled next time after the endorsement, the mix will change
          as this is a random SSS blip, or get hurt, but this is a completely different pitcher with the changeups volume and scrapping the slider. I really really hope this is explored the rest of the year. It’s tough to get past Bruce sucks, but we’re in year 9 of Cabrera as fans and if nothing more, I’d love to see this kid finally get close to the ceiling as he’s been on quite the ride.

Comment

• Snelling has looked dominant in his first two outings in aa

Comment

• They should pick up Brock Burke on waivers if he gets to them. Lefty RP not too far removed from being excellent.

Comment

• https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-n...grade-sweeper/

80 grade sweeper for White?

Excuse me what?

Eury is a 70 FB and 60 CU/CB. Skenes is a 70 FB and assortment of 60s because he’s the best. Strider ended with an 80 FB and projections on the rest. Grayson ended with a 70 change and 60 FB/55 SL. The arguably best SP prospect in the minors is Jobe (DET) and he’s throwing two 60s with 60 command. Those are the best 4 SP prospects in the last few years I think + Strider who came out of nowhere.

White is chasing an 80 sweeper and he grades as a 60 FB?

Fish16 is right. He’s shooting up to the elite prospect range if he’s showing a 70 sweeper let alone more.

Comment

• Fuck Eury and White could be fucking menaces. If you’re able to keep Sandy and Cabrera finally puts it together that could be 4 ace level pitchers.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-n...grade-sweeper/

80 grade sweeper for White?

Excuse me what?

Eury is a 70 FB and 60 CU/CB. Skenes is a 70 FB and assortment of 60s because he’s the best. Strider ended with an 80 FB and projections on the rest. Grayson ended with a 70 change and 60 FB/55 SL. The arguably best SP prospect in the minors is Jobe (DET) and he’s throwing two 60s with 60 command. Those are the best 4 SP prospects in the last few years I think + Strider who came out of nowhere.

White is chasing an 80 sweeper and he grades as a 60 FB?

Fish16 is right. He’s shooting up to the elite prospect range if he’s showing a 70 sweeper let alone more.
                    If you watch videos of him from this year that checks out. His stuff jumps off the screen

Comment

• Jake burger is absolutely on fire. Up to close to a .770 ops

Comment

• Norby, DDLS and Ramirez all went deep in today's AAA game.

Comment

• stowers off to a slow start but outside of him, the rest of the acquisitions at the deadline are off to really good starts. Ramirez, DDLS, Snelling, and Serna have all been great.

Comment

• The Marlins are parting ways with AGMs Oz Ocampo and Dan Greenlee, as well as international scouting director Roman Ocumarez.

Miami Herald and ESPN are saying Kapler is expected to continue as an AGM next year….but I’m not buying it

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                              The Marlins are parting ways with AGMs Oz Ocampo and Dan Greenlee, as well as international scouting director Roman Ocumarez.

Miami Herald and ESPN are saying Kapler is expected to continue as an AGM next year….but I’m not buying it
                              Honestly surprised anyone was kept around from the old regime after the amount of hires Bendix made last offseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick View Post

Honestly surprised anyone was kept around from the old regime after the amount of hires Bendix made last offseason.
                                My thought on it is he kept them because they knew the existing system, so he could keep them to help evaluate in a transition year, and now that he has a handle on what’s there, see ya…

Comment

Working...
                                X