No announcement yet.

2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Eury Perez shows that no matter how careful you are with a pitcher it's likely they will still get injured.
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

• There's no way the Marlins lose today

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
        I think Eury Perez shows that no matter how careful you are with a pitcher it's likely they will still get injured.
        I think this may have to be the prevailing wisdom and a major shift from even 20 years ago where this guys are throwing even more offspeed pitches now. It is legitimately all of Sandy, Eury, Luzardo, Garrett, Cabrera, Rogers, Meyer, Sixto, Bender, Faucher, and Fulton right now of the major marlins arms having at least one major issue, and some of them two. Eder too!

Bendix just left this same mess in Tampa with McClanahan, Rasmussen, and Springs so it'll be interesting to see if there is a change in throwing guys harder in the minors moving forward to see if the inevitable just happens there (like Braxton), or if they do manage to get to the team before it happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          There's no way the Marlins lose today
          I agree with your other post, I want to see it get comically bad. 0-28.

We need them to get BALS off this team for the greater good of saving some money + getting prospects.

Comically bad. I want Oakland fans sympathy bad.

Comment

• BA wrote an article about 70 prospects making buzz after spring- 1 of them is Bryan Chourio, who of course was a throw in to the arraez deal. Thomas White was on there. I only saw an inning of him and he looked electric.

Our only other guy was someone named fabian lopez. I've got no idea how they scout these 18 year old dominicans but apparently he impressed in the spring breakout game.

They also had this nugget at the end-
            • Marlins C Will Banfield has shown a flatter bat path that could help him improve his offensive game enough to make himself a viable big league backup thanks to already-stellar defensive skill set.

Comment

• BA also just updated their top 100- our only 2 guys have the last name meyer. Noble at 48, Max at 88. only 2 other players even got votes from BA's staff- Whtie and Xavier Edwards.

Kind of annoying that Michael Busch, now of the cubs, comes in at 49. Put up monster numbers and was blocked for years in LA and the cubs get him for 2 very young non top 100 prospects.

Comment

• I think I saw Banfield has 26 homers in his last 120 games. If Fortes and Berhancourt continue to give 0 offensively you gotta give him a look some time soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick View Post
                  I think I saw Banfield has 26 homers in his last 120 games. If Fortes and Berhancourt continue to give 0 offensively you gotta give him a look some time soon.
                  the dude had a .302 OBP and 25 bb's compared to 122 k's last year in AA. He's going to be a light hitting backup C just like Fortes and Betancourt. Betancourt had 18 hr's in his last 145 games at the major league level. Jeff mathis had 21 homers at the minor league level one year.

Last year was an improvement but he shouldnt be on a big league roster unless there is drastic improvement. he just never developed any kind of hit tool. He should get a full year at AAA

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post

the dude had a .302 OBP and 25 bb's compared to 122 k's last year in AA. He's going to be a light hitting backup C just like Fortes and Betancourt. Betancourt had 18 hr's in his last 145 games at the major league level. Jeff mathis had 21 homers at the minor league level one year.

Last year was an improvement but he shouldnt be on a big league roster unless there is drastic improvement. he just never developed any kind of hit tool. He should get a full year at AAA
                    I think you have to give him 25-30 starts in August/September and see if he's your probable backup next year. He's 40 man eligible so they may need to protect him this offseason for real this time.

2017/2018 Austin Hedges is the dream.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

I think you have to give him 25-30 starts in August/September and see if he's your probable backup next year. He's 40 man eligible so they may need to protect him this offseason for real this time.

2017/2018 Austin Hedges is the dream.
                      let's see what he can do in AAA this year before we get there. I hope he impresses. He just seems like yet another prospect who never developed in our system and puts up decent minor league numbers but isnt a major league player because the plate discipline just isnt there. Just like Burdick, Conine, and a whole list of other players over the last few years.

Comment

• wow, the vladimir gutierrez era came and went just like that. brewers claimed him

Comment

• Rich Waltz and Dontrelle Willis are calling the Rangers/Astros game on Apple TV

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                            Rich Waltz and Dontrelle Willis are calling the Rangers/Astros game on Apple TV
                            I miss Rich and the Rich/Tommy combo. At least they made endless losing entertaining.

Comment

• Rod Allen and Jeff Nelson suck shit.

Comment

• Bieber Tommy John!

Maybe Strider(!!!) too!

Luzardo needs to be moved ASAP jesus christ. He's healthy, performing, has club control. All arms are dropping like flies and every contender is going to be needing them. Luzardo is the biggest prize in baseball IMO as no one else is going to have a pitcher like him to move with control years. Baltimore's AAA group is going ballistic and ready. They got MLB and MiLB bats to move. It's time Bendix. We will not be mad, we will applaud you for having the fucking balls to make an unapologetic longterm baseball move in April.

I'm thinking today Kjerstad, Westburg/Norby, A. Hays (off sets $$$, controlled next year, opens spots for Stowers and friends in AAA), and Bradfield. Just take Holliday, Basallo, and Mayo off the table for them which I think is key. Get better 3rd/4th players. Baltimore will grit their teeth and do it for Luzardo and Scott here for sure in a 4-2 kind of trade. Their lineup would be Aldy, Mountcastle, Holliday, Gunnar, Mayo, Santander, Mullins, Cowser, and DH/Bench Norby, O'Hearn, Stowers, Urias/Mateo, McCann. I mean come on. Maybe one day we could have that too.

And Story is hurt! They can play Grissom and eventually Mayer at SS, maybe Rafaella too.

Send them Arraez and some $$$ (because they are brushing up luxury tax and they want to avoid and likely need to move someone to stay under) for K. Teel, Yorke, C. Meidroth, and Refsnyder (deflects some $$$ for them with him, Marlins can then use and trade at deadline). None of those guys are helping in 2024 for Boston. Huge upgrade. They may be reluctant to lose Teel, but they are the Red Sox and will recover. Can send them Mack, Fortes, or Banfield also too if absolutely needed. Who cares. I also think Pittsburgh is a sneaky fit here for Endy, Triolo, and others. This would be their "Yelich" type move to go for it.

Also to audit myself, I checked BTV which isn't great, but they think these are fair moves for everyone.

All of a sudden, this is coming quick for 2025. Hayes does make some money so this is probably closer to a $70m team.

Teel/Endy, Fortes/Banfield/Bethancourt
                                Burger, ______
                                Yorke, Edwards/Meidroth or Triolo/Brujan/Lopez
                                _____
                                Westburg (we'll say him), Meidroth or Triolo/Brujan/Rivera
                                Kjerstad
                                Jazz
                                A. Hays, Sanchez

Sandy, Garrett, Cabrera, Rogers, _____
                                Max, Puk, Weathers
                                _____, Nardi, Bender, two of Soriano/Sixto/Cronin/Maldonado/Others

FA
                                Adames ($22.5m)
                                Bell, JD Davis, or comparable ($5m)
                                Two pitchers, in really any variety as an innings eater, bulk guy, or solid reliever ($10m)

Equals 2023 payroll, and Eury is coming midseason or earlier.

This is why I can't get behind the Marlins are a bottom 3-5 situation in baseball. They are going to be fine if they land these two trades for the big guys and they will because Luzardo and Arraez are great with control, and then will just commit to 2023 payroll levels as they should have $40-50m to spend on 4-5 guys to round it out here. Maybe they botch the trades like Milwaukee/Brinson, but this would at least make sense on paper and frankly, we haven't had that to say in awhile so that's a step forward.

Unapologetic baseball moves. They need to get Luzardo and Scott off this team before they gets hurt as every pitcher is dying, and then just wait out the offer for Arraez.

(and yes I understand the notion maybe the Marlins pitchers all get hurt so one cannot make a plan for 2025 counting on all of them, but the response is you have to hope for one, and second, Sandy, Garrett, Cabrera, Rogers, Max, Eury, Puk, and Bender have all had their major injury so are or will be past this come some point in 2025. Its all you can do).

Anyways. I am floored Bieber I am guessing Strider are added to the list here. Gotta ditch Luzardo and Scott ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                                X