Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positive: It covers the OF. Ross/Mabin/Winn with Cogs moving to IF

Negative: No doubt Maybin will bat 8th
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Randy Winn definitely does not give me that wiggly feel

Comment

You want to talk about a "yeah, I threw up in my mouth a little but it makes sense for us" player? Vladimir Guerrero.

He'll almost have to take a 1 year or one year and an option deal, and he almost snubbed $90 million to play here on a one year deal (well, actually he did but the PA wouldn't allow it). I think we could easily have him for under $5 mil, and you know what else, I still think he can be a left-fielder everyday (or as much as everyday allows him). He didn't see the field in Anaheim because they had 4 good defensive players ahead of him in Abreu, Hunter, Matthews and Rivera.

You get what you can for Cantu, and turn Cantu's $5 million arbitration award into Vladdy. Maybe even Vladdy and a reliever for $5 mil. He's still remarkably productive, and for whatever reason teams hate him but he keeps having productive season after productive season. With Cody and Maybin you're only asking Guerrero to play left, you're not asking him to be a defensive standout, and all of a sudden, Carroll turns into an insurance policy in the outfield rather than a de facto starter. It's a win-win.

Comment

I'm a big fan of a Ross - Maybin - Winn/Carroll outfield. And please realize my expectations with that sentence. That .750ish vs RHP has been for the last 1300 PA against RHP, and his Home/Away split was .585/.749. He'd be great for $750-$1 on a 1 year deal, which is all it would take with the year he had. I don't think much is left in the tank, but he could give 400 PA no doubt.

Comment

If Xavier Nady is all healed up I'm game. He'll definitely be cheapo.
            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
              it's quite annoying that Coghlan is not a second baseman with this organization
              I too would much rather see him at second. I think his production could more easily be replicated by an OF than a 2B, so if we could put his offense at second, that'd be a plus for us.

Comment

The Marlins lean toward keeping Jorge Cantu (who has drawn interest) but would consider an extraordinary offer. Dan Uggla remains likely to be dealt.
                http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/co...y/1327044.html

Comment

good heavens

Comment

WHY

keeping cantu over uggla only makes sense if you're omar minaya
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I'm getting closer and closer to flat-out hating this organization.
                      This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
                        WHY

keeping cantu over uggla only makes sense if you're omar minaya
                        $$$

Comment

If it is a question of Cantu or Uggla, Uggla is going to bring more back.

This doesn't even make sense if you are trading Uggla to put Cogs at 2B. Not that they will do that anyways.

Comment

Guaranteed Uggla goes for a Castillo-esque deal. We will get NOTHING.
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

We will get nothing for Cantu.

He is below average defensively, average offensive and the FO is put in this position by not having the legitimate threat of standing pat. When you are forecasted to trade guys 4 years before it happens and you are a notoriously cheap organization you are going to get hosed in a lot of mid-level trades no matter what.

Atleast with Uggla, he is below average defensively put a top 5 offensive second baseman.

The recession isn't going to help much either with only a handful of teams, if any, adding payroll and both players being alittle expensive.

As an aside, check out some of the similar batters for Uggla through age 29.

Carlton Fisk (939) *
                              Johnny Romano (930)
                              Todd Hundley (928)
                              Gene Tenace (927)
                              Jorge Posada (927)
                              Jeff Kent (926)
                              Mike Lieberthal (925)
                              Matt Nokes (924)
                              Gus Triandos (921)
                              Charles Johnson (921)

Pretty cool.
                              Last edited by Party; 11-11-2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I think it will be especially hard to get a good return for Cantu because of the perception that he is all smoke and mirrors. Given his past and that he was a "fixer-upper" for us, I have to imagine most clubs are skeptical.

Comment

Working...
                                X