No announcement yet.

Offseason Discussion - Positions Players/Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to see the indications are that Ross is coming back.

Agreeing with the idea that Cantu is eminently replaceable. Among qualifying players at first base, he beat out only James Loney, Daniel Murphy, and Aubrey Huff in wOBA. That's not a list of bats you want to be compared to.

(To be fair, he did beat them out by a good amount, but he was closer to Loney that he was to. let's say, Adam LaRoche, next guy up the list).
    Marlin Maniac, a Florida Marlins blog
    Come attend Intro to Sabermetrics 101!
    Writer, Beyond the Box Score

Comment

Yea, I hate Jorge Cantu. He's barely average and he doesn't give me that wiggly feel

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
        Yea, I hate Jorge Cantu. He's barely average and he doesn't give me that wiggly feel
        Who does give you a wiggly feel?

Comment

Josh Willingham

and to a lesser extent, Brett Carroll

Comment

If we aren't going to move Coghlan to 2B, we should trade him to an organization that values him as that and get something we want more.

Like how about calling up SD and be like, yo Coghlan, Morrison, and Andrew Miller and give us Adrian and Kouzmanoff(who they will DFA). Then we can dump Cantu and use "his" money as well as Miller's to pay for those two, and KEEP Uggla.

Comment

it's quite annoying that Coghlan is not a second baseman with this organization

Comment

Do we keep him in LF for financial reasons or is this a "baseball" move?
                This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                  Kouzmanoff
                  Just how awesome is PetCO that a .732 OPS gives you a 100 OPS+

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                    Just how awesome is PetCO that a .732 OPS gives you a 100 OPS+
                    Or not. It's just to fill 3B for a year and net Adrian while waiting for Dominguez. But in reality, he wouldn't matter.

Morrison doesn't matter if we get a 1B. Coghlan doesn't matter if we don't value him as a 2B. Who gives a fuck about Andrew Miller. And throw in Cishek or Parcell or whoever else that throws fire. SD would have to take that, and what are we losing here with getting a rock solid lefty to put behind Hanley for the next decade?

I mean seriously. Not keeping the arbitration bats is one thing. I get it. Not moving Coghlan to 2B - who needs to play below average defense to be plus at the position with an .800 OPS - is just, Fuck the what? If we aren't going to do it, shop him as a 2B and get crazy value for him coming off this year.

Comment

Fuck the what?

Fuck the heck.
                      poop

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                        Do we keep him in LF for financial reasons or is this a "baseball" move?
                        Oh it's a baseball move. A dumb baseball move.

Originally posted by lou
                        Like how about calling up SD and be like, yo Coghlan, Morrison, and Andrew Miller and give us Adrian and Kouzmanoff(who they will DFA). Then we can dump Cantu and use "his" money as well as Miller's to pay for those two, and KEEP Uggla.
                        Can't say that's a bad idea. And I do like Kouzmanoff, buy low since he plays at Petco and it makes his numbers look awful (though I don't think Petco affects his terrible walk rate). Not a bad placeholder, especially for the little money he's making

Don't think SD takes the deal though.

Comment

Thank gawd Bonifacio emerged so we're set for next year, no need to sign anymore.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by SFiercex4 View Post
                            Don't think SD takes the deal though.
                            Don't want to play the hypothetical game, but if the Marlins were to offer Miller/West, Coghlan, Morrison, and throw in "Hunter Jones" reliever, we get Adrian Gonzalez pretty quick. That shores up half their infield and gives them SP help. Can't imagine Boston parting with more than that after trading for Victor, and not sure who else would dish out 2 high quality young arms to trump the serious position prospects we're sending.

Comment

Don't want to play the hypothetical game, but if the Marlins were to offer Miller/West, Coghlan, Morrison, and throw in "Hunter Jones" reliever, we get Adrian Gonzalez pretty quick. That shores up half their infield and gives them SP help. Can't imagine Boston parting with more than that after trading for Victor, and not sure who else would dish out 2 high quality young arms to trump the serious position prospects we're sending.
                              You may be right, I don't really know. And like you, I don't want to play the hypothetical game either.

Comment

Here's one for you that started off as a passing thought because we had interest in him in the past and is now a full blown lust for me

Randy Winn.

Yeah yeah yeah. He sucked this year. .671 ops qq

Hold up though.

He had a .751 OPS against RHP. Just a .384 OPS against LHP. Switch hitter.

First thing that pops into mind: oh, cool platoon partner/4th OF sharer with BC.

Again, hold up though.

In his career he has a .765 OPS against RHP. Against LHP, it's .758. In other words, the dude hits both hands.

And in '09 he hit one at the same basic rate he did in his career, and the other he was on par with a pitcher, thanks a lot to a .178 BABIP against them.

In other words, next season his RHP and LHP splits should be a lot closer like they have been throughout his career. in other words, I think he'll be a mid to low 700 OPS guy again. It's the same basic argument I had of why Hammer was better than he was the past couple years.

Now his power is definitely down and such. Bill James has him at a .726 OPS. Imma just say .730.

Yeah that's not all cool. But wait, there's more!

He has a career UZR/150 in RF of 16.4. His total fielding numbers the past two years: 17.4, 16.5. Let's say he's +15 runs. that's ~60 OPS points. .790 OPS.

But that's not all!

He's also a very good base runner even though he's old. He was at +5 runs this past year, +6 runs in '08, going by BP's BRR. Add another 5 runs, another 20 OPS points, that's equiv of a .810 OPS neutral everywhere else RFer.

But here's where it actually gets sexy

Who the fuck is going to pay Randy Winn any money?

If FA repeats itself, shit, no one will.

If we can bring in Winn for around 1-2 mil, and he does that, AWESOME

Comment

Working...
                                X