Offseason Discussion - Positions Players/Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nny
    Anyway, to get off of ranting, if he goes back to being what he was, a basically .800 OPS bat, -10 fielder, that's still basically the equiv of a average 3b which would be a massive upgrade.
    More like 1.5 WAR in 600 PA, so less than average, but yeah, you're right, he may be worth another minor league contract. I love handing out those things, because on the off chance that someone like Marte or Betemit figure it out, you've got them for next to nothing.
    Marlin Maniac, a Florida Marlins blog
    Come attend Intro to Sabermetrics 101!
    Writer, Beyond the Box Score

Comment

I rather have Adam Kennedy, I believe he's a FA this year

Comment

Kennedy actually had a solid year and may be out of our budget reach though.
        Marlin Maniac, a Florida Marlins blog
        Come attend Intro to Sabermetrics 101!
        Writer, Beyond the Box Score

Comment

Kennedy is absolute garbage

Comment

I'd rather have Ted Kennedy

too soon?

Comment

Considering you really would rather have The Ted, it's not too soon

Comment

Kevin Kennedy for Manager!

Comment

Kevin Costner for pitching coach!
                  This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Florida Marlins prepare for roster changes at GM meetings

by Joe Capozzi

Expect the Marlins to be busy this winter.

The general managers meetings start today in Chicago where the front office will explore options for trading some its 11 arbitration players. Whether any deals get done remains to be seen but the Marlins already made a move last week when RF Jeremy Hermida was traded to Boston.

Indications are 2B Dan Uggla will get traded by the winter meetings next month and that RF Cody Ross will be back next year. I’ve heard different ideas about Jorge Cantu, with a 50-50 split on whether he will be back I say he returns but who knows?

The Marlins aren’t going to spend a whole lot more, if any, than they spent last year. The team is preparing a multiyear offer for RHP Josh Johnson, but that may be their biggest splash of the winter.

OK. Even if you’re not in Chicago, play GM. What would you do with this team?
                    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marli...t-gm-meetings/
                    Should we make an offseason thread or just use this obne and change the name?
                    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

use this one

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather keep Uggla than Cantu, and I'm a pretty big Uggla hater. There, I said it.
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I hate Uggla when I watch him play and I like him when I look at his stat sheet

Comment

yup I'm the same way
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Here's the trade off to me.

Uggla @ 3B or
                            Cantu @ 3B and one of Nunez/Lindstrom

And really, I'm kind of fine with either of those.

Coghlan going to 2B is by far the most needed thing to happen. Because that's where he's going to be longterm with us and he needs to get there now so he can grow up the middle with Hanley.

Comment

I'm of the mindset now that there's just no good reason to keep Cantu.

His production isn't irreplaceable, and it's about time we see what we have in Gaby. I personally think next year's team is going to be pretty bad unless Volstad and Miller show up, so it really doesn't matter what we do with Cantu. Losing Uggla and Hermida (and thus our 3rd and 4th highest OBPs) are going to make "building off" the 87 wins nearly impossible. Blow up the offense, I don't care, but don't bring back Cantu if we're pinching pennies.
                              --------------------
                              Originally posted by lou View Post
                              Coghlan going to 2B is by far the most needed thing to happen. Because that's where he's going to be longterm with us and he needs to get there now so he can grow up the middle with Hanley.
                              Yes, but you and I both know that's not going to happen.

It's going to be
                              Last edited by Swifty; 11-09-2009, 02:00 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Coghlan SHOULD be at 2B longterm but I think this team has committed to turning him into a mediocre slap-hitting corner outfielder instead of an above-average 2B.

I like Cantu and have for a while. But he's going to make $5 million and his production doesn't justify that. They can do a lot better for $5 million, not even taking into consideration the fact that Gaby is around.

Comment

Working...
                                X