No announcement yet.

Offseason Discussion - Positions Players/Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boner could still start at 3B. If the payroll's not going up, Cantu's too pricey to keep around.

A cheap Sheff would be a cool Sheff.

Comment

Ain't gon happen but it's fun to think about

Comment

I could see Voss making the club out of ST this year, as he was pretty damn good at AA.
        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
        Noah Perio
        Jupiter
        39 AB
        15 H
        0 2B
        0 3B
        0 HR
        0 BB
        .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
          I could see Voss making the club out of ST this year, as he was pretty damn good at AA.
          It's dependent on Pinto being here. Meyer has to be considered a lock after his more than solid year, so if there is competition for the other lefty Voss will get a look. If not, call up or 2011.

Also not sure if they don't just put Miller or West into the pen if Anibal is retained.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishfan79 View Post
            isnt all the reports that Gamel is a complete butcher with the glove at 3rd base? like Miggy type?
            Gamel is interesting. He makes all the tough plays. Its the routine ones where he has a ton of time to think. The Brewers were talking about moving him to 1st if they traded Prince. Well now they aren't doing that so its either the OF or trading him. I like him I think he has a ton of upside but at what price do we get him?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
              Gamel is interesting. He makes all the tough plays. Its the routine ones where he has a ton of time to think. The Brewers were talking about moving him to 1st if they traded Prince. Well now they aren't doing that so its either the OF or trading him. I like him I think he has a ton of upside but at what price do we get him?
              Swift has said it elsewhere as a cost cutting measure, but I bet they could get him for Miller quite easily.

Which then gives you Uggla, Dominguez, Cantu, Hermida, and Nunez, at minimum, to accumulate young pitching with.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                Swift has said it elsewhere as a cost cutting measure, but I bet they could get him for Miller quite easily.

Which then gives you Uggla, Dominguez, Cantu, Hermida, and Nunez, at minimum, to accumulate young pitching with.
                I don't think Miller would be get us Gamel. Miller has shown nothing that he can be consistent at this level. It would take a Sean West and a low level SP to get Gamel I think. The Brewers all they will be looking for this offseason is SP and Miller yes a SP is way too inconsistent or consistently shitty

Comment

Gamel would be nice if he did not blow at 3B. He has a great bat however he can't play 3B. I don't understand why people are hell bent on trading Dominguez,Morrison and Sanchez will get looks at 1B in ST which moves Cantu to 3B next year.

Then after next year we will either keep Cantu if Dominguez is not close to being ready and if he is Dominguez would be our 3B.

Even tho I said that we could probably get him like said-West and prospect

Jay Voss will probably be on the team in 2011 in Pinto's spot. He is playing in the AFL tho so never know??

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                    Gamel would be nice if he did not blow at 3B. He has a great bat however he can't play 3B. I don't understand why people are hell bent on trading Dominguez,Morrison and Sanchez will get looks at 1B in ST which moves Cantu to 3B next year.

Then after next year we will either keep Cantu if Dominguez is not close to being ready and if he is Dominguez would be our 3B.

Even tho I said that we could probably get him like said-West and prospect

Jay Voss will probably be on the team in 2011 in Pinto's spot. He is playing in the AFL tho so never know??
                    Well Gamel would fit in perfectly long term in LF or at 1b if Morrison is moving out to LF.
                    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                      Well Gamel would fit in perfectly long term in LF or at 1b if Morrison is moving out to LF.
                      I agree that is what I am saying,West and a prospect for him would be a good deal BUT not if its for him to play 3B and trading Dominguez. If he is to play LF or 1B I have no problem with it

Comment

/random post

I need a /random post thread

Wilson Betemit a free agent.

Will only be 28 next season and just a couple season removed from putting back-to-back-to-back seasons of .794/.795/.788 OPSs

Certainly not advocating a strait ML deal, but a split contract of something like 750k-1m while in the majors would be cool. All about adding depth. If he continues to suck, well, he sucks for NOLA.

Comment

Betemit has always intrigued me.

Comment

It's amazing the Yankees acquired Nick Swisher with basically Betemit. However, he's never been anything more than average at the plate, and it appears he isn't very good in the field (UZR/150 of -11 career at 3B). Not sure if he's going to get any better than what he is.

If we're talking about young players at the corner infield (and given that I've just skipped through to the last page of this thread, all bets are off), I present to you Andy Marte, who is likely to be a non-tender candidate in Cleveland and is only 26 IIRC. Could be worth a minor league deal like Cantu a few years before. Sure, he hasn't a lick both in the majors and in the minors if you adjust to MLE's, but he had a good year this season in Triple-A and, in his September cup of coffee, showed an improved walk rate in the small sample. Not to mention, he seems around average (bit above, bit below) with the glove, so he won't hurt you there presumably.
                            Last edited by SFiercex4; 10-13-2009, 12:29 PM.
                            Marlin Maniac, a Florida Marlins blog
                            Come attend Intro to Sabermetrics 101!
                            Writer, Beyond the Box Score

Comment

yeah Marte's been mentioned around here. A lot of us really like him.
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by SFiercex4 View Post
                                It's amazing the Yankees acquired Nick Swisher with basically Betemit. However, he's never been anything more than average at the plate, and it appears he isn't very good in the field (UZR/150 of -11 career at 3B). Not sure if he's going to get any better than what he is.
                                The problem is, at least in my mind, right now you're basically looking at the 3b job landing in Bonifacio's hands again. Cantu's going to make a lot, they've said plenty of times they don't like Coghlan at 3b so any pointing at that is just a fans dream at this point really, and who fucking knows what their idea on Gaby is (i.e. all offseason they talked about him becoming a solid regular, Flemming for a long time now has talked about him becoming a solid regular, and then they give him a grand total of 0 MLB starts). Based off the fact they had such a hole at 3b for so long you have to assume they don't view him as a legit 3b option though. Then again even if they viewed him as a 1b option, and the fact they moved Cantu to 3b later in the year, does his ability to play 3b even come into the equation? Fact remains they again put him at 3b for 50% of his MILB starts, and total zone says he fields it just fine.

Anyway, to get off of ranting, if he goes back to being what he was, a basically .800 OPS bat, -10 fielder, that's still basically the equiv of a average 3b which would be a massive upgrade. There's certainly are several better alternatives, like Marte if he become available, but of coarse free agency doesn't work in a vacuum so gotta look for all possible alternatives.

But, also came across another name that's a MILB FA, certainly LOL, in Joe Nelson.

There was all the talk of him wanting to stay in south florida because he's family is here. So perhaps we're close to his first option. And the closest AAA option is in North Georgia, so it's not location would be a factor in his MILB deal. Though I also imagine it's about playing in the majors, so he'd go some where with BP issues that give him a lot better chance of making the majors. We have plenty of average BP arms in our upper minors/ML level so he's far from a need but hey, still cool. Though with the way he treated the FO last offseason, they're probably going to say yeah, fuck you.

Comment

Working...
                                X