Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
    Inquires into Uggla

Great. We can do another Olsen/Willingham trade with the Nats, this time using Lindstrom/Olsen. Maybe we can get another fast guy that can't hit for shit and a couple crappy pitchers.
    Roger Bernadina?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
      I remember more than a few people on T&B saying Jorge Cantu was the MVP of our 2008 team.

My how the times have changed.
      He probably was, but that still doesn't mean he should be here in 2010 if we have payroll choices forthcoming.

Comment

Not sure if this will change Chicago's perspective, but Fontenot gained Super2 status and they may not want to pay him a few bucks and hope for a 2008 revival. Less 2B depth in Chicago is likely when they non-tender/trade him.

And speaking of Fontenot, career .783 vs RHP. That has Marlins written all over it if he becomes available for some 2B/3B infield depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cameron of FanGraphs
          There are a few signposts that let us know winter has arrived – the leaves change, the grocery stores try to sell us pumpkin everything, and the Florida Marlins begin trading off arbitration eligible players. This year, the annual fire sale has already claimed Jeremy Hermida, and the expectation is that Dan Uggla will be the next to go.

I wonder, though – did the Marlins wait too long to deal him?

There was significant interest in Uggla a year ago, when he was coming off a +5 win season and was still quite the bargin; he made just $5.35 million in 2010. However, given another year of service time, Uggla is going to be looking at a ~$9 million arbitration award. That salary makes him a little pricey for small payroll clubs.

He also turns 30 in May, and his defense is considered poor enough that he’s likely to be moved off of second base by whoever acquires him. So, the Marlins are essentially marketing a third baseman who is going to get a one year salary about equal to what they would have to pay to sign a comparable free agent – in this case, Adrian Beltre or Chone Figgins.
          Uggla's Value

I can't agree entirely, but he does have a point. The surplus value Uggla offers for the next two years is a lot less than he would have offered last year. I've got it at $14-15M, depending on the actual arb salary and whatever the acquiring team is actually willing to pay for marginal wins.

Cameron says the team can't expect more than a few fringe prospects, but I think we can get a decent player and a lottery ticker pitching prospect.
          Marlin Maniac, a Florida Marlins blog
          Come attend Intro to Sabermetrics 101!
          Writer, Beyond the Box Score

Comment

I think it's important to note that Cameron is overly biased against the Marlins and predicts a doomsday scenario whenever possible. Reference his franchise rankings from a year ago, in which the Marlins were #29 solely on the fact that he hates the ownership, completely ignoring that we have a top 3 minor league system. He's also an unabashed Mariners homer, and I believe ranked them something like #14 in those rankings.

Comment

I just want to say Keith Law will be alerted to this post via Google Alerts very soon.

Comment

Shall we ban him again this time around?

Comment

I propose a more vociferous dialogue this time.

Telling him his mother should have aborted him? That was just the prelude, we can build on that, fellas!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post
                    I think it's important to note that Cameron is overly biased against the Marlins and predicts a doomsday scenario whenever possible. Reference his franchise rankings from a year ago, in which the Marlins were #29 solely on the fact that he hates the ownership, completely ignoring that we have a top 3 minor league system. He's also an unabashed Mariners homer, and I believe ranked them something like #14 in those rankings.
                    Some of this is true, but to me, it usually doesn't get in the way of his good analysis. Doomsday scenarios or not, his logic is sound, though I think his projections may be too low.
                    Marlin Maniac, a Florida Marlins blog
                    Come attend Intro to Sabermetrics 101!
                    Writer, Beyond the Box Score

Comment

• All I know is last year there were a ton of articles say Uggla has little value because of his horrible second half

Comment

• So Joe Frisaro made a post on twitter suggesting that we should expect to see Mike Jacobs back in the NL this year. He also labeled the tweet with #Marlins, meaning that perhaps the Marlins would be interested in this.

Let the LOLing and everything else begin.

Comment

• joe frisaro is a moron #thingseveryoneknows #idiot #drawingridiculousconclusions
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• http://twitter.com/account/profile_i...ro?hreflang=en

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                              So Joe Frisaro made a post on twitter suggesting that we should expect to see Mike Jacobs back in the NL this year. He also labeled the tweet with #Marlins, meaning that perhaps the Marlins would be interested in this.

Let the LOLing and everything else begin.
                              Well for his career he's .263/.325/.505/.830 vs. righties. Platooning him with Gaby isn't the worst idea at 1B, even if the 1B defense would be atrocious.

It's not the best idea either, but it's semi-defensible if he's cheap, solely a platoon guy, and the payroll is in the mid 40's.

Comment

• In what world are the Marlins platooning Jake?

Comment

Working...
                                X