X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, let's hypothetical this.

Let's say Johnson gets $6 million in arbitration
    Let's say Calero would get $2 million.

If Johnson were to accept, the only ramification is having to trade Cantu and playing Sanchez/Boner at 3B versus Cantu/Sanchez at the corners.

If Calero accepts, you have to get rid of both Nunez and Lindstrom instead of just one, your pen is Calero, Sanchez, Meyer, Badenhop, Vanden Hurk, Jones, and Wood/Leroux/Penn/Tucker/etc...,

If you're totally confident they are both healthy, I don't see a big deal as we can relatively interchange them with Cantu/RP. If they have injury concerns (or more injury concerns than Cantu/Other RP), it's just a disappointing loss of picks 30-45ish.

So if they accept....

L Coghlan 2B/LF
    R Maybin CF
    L Johnson 1B
    R Hanley SS
    L Baker C
    R Ross LF/RF

then it's some sort of whoever is playing of
    R G. Sanchez 3B
    R Carroll LF/RF
    S Boner 2B/3B
    X Some veteran 3B instead of veteran 1B/LF I have been musing all offseason

SP - same
    BP - Calero, Sanchez, Meyer, Badenhop, Vanden Hurk, Jones(Tank), Leroux/Wood/Penn

If NJ accepts, and Calero doesn't, just sub in Nunez or Lindstrom above for Calero.

If they both don't accept it's the standard

R Maybin CF
    L Coghlan 2B/LF
    R Hanley SS
    R Cantu 3B
    L Baker C
    R Ross LF/RF

then it's some sort of whoever is playing of
    R G. Sanchez 1B
    R Carroll LF/RF
    S Boner 2B
    L Some veteran 1B/LF

-----------

Is there really a difference with any of this, EXCEPT
    (1) Fears of Nick Johnson and Kiko Calero health, compared to Cantu and Nunez/Lindstrom
    (2) Gaby playing a lot of 3B instead of a lot of 1B

Those are the only two concerns I have.

I hope this post cleared up the "money" argument. It's Health and Gaby playing 3B issues that dominate if we should offer arbitration to the two of them. If you're cool with both of those, then I guess get pissed we're not offering and not potentially getting the picks.
    Last edited by lou; 11-30-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
      If they have injury concerns (or more injury concerns than Cantu/Other RP), it's just a disappointing loss of a second rounder, picks 80 or something.

I mean good prospects (Smolinski I believe) are in these sandwich 2 picks, but it's not like we're talking about pick 35. It's pick 85.
      There's only one sandwhich round now, it'd be pick 30's-40's.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
        There's only one sandwhich round now, it'd be pick 30's-40's.
        I just checked cot's, I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swift View Post
          Yep.

From the last arby guys (AJ, Pavano, Urbina)

We've gotten in the supplemental 1st round:

Coghlan, West and Tucker.

When you consider that our actual 1st round picks in those drafts were Sinkbeil and Volstad, hoooooo-boy, good thing we had those supplementals.
          We never got picks for Urbina, no arby offered.

Add Benitez and Redmond to the arby players we got draft picks for.

Comment

• I meant Benitez, not Urbina.

Comment

• Calero too? wow....that's sad.

Comment

• are teams able to trade players who accept arb?

because if kiko or NJ accept it, just trade them to a team for another hunter jones-like player.
                Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                Tom Koehler(4-0)
                AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

• Originally posted by Fish and Chips View Post
                  are teams able to trade players who accept arb?

because if kiko or NJ accept it, just trade them to a team for another hunter jones-like player.
                  I wouldn't see why they aren't allowed to trade players who except arbitration as contracts that are resolved in arbitration do not include no-trade clauses.

It is just a matter of finding a team willing to take on these players salaries which if they choose to goto arbitration it most likely means they will make more than other teams are willing to offer which means that other clubs would most likely not be interested in trading for that player

Comment

• yes you can trade them

Which just makes not offering them arb that much more wah since, at least for NJ, he probably gets a more team-friendly contract in arbitration

Comment

• The more I think it, I like the idea of offering Calero. If he accepts it, cool. We can now trade two of Calero, Lindstrom, and Nunez. If he declines it, cool draft pick.

Nick Johnson is more problematic for who would play 3B issues as mentioned, but I just see absolutely no reason to not give it to Calero at this point unless you think his arm falls off after 30 innings pitched.

Comment

• We offered arbitration to Redmond and took Brett Hayes with that pick at end of Rd 2

Its sad tho that we dont at least offer it to both of them.I think it is more about paying a high draft pick more than it is the guy accepting. If we got a pick at the End of Rd 2(like it used to be) we would offer

If Kiko said ill accept for 2 mil I think we would offer,Loria probably fears we offer he declines and then he has to give some 18 yr old 1 million and he has no clue what he is getting. We saw it in the last draft when we went 18 Rds with us taking 22 yr old and older players and paying them peanuts to sign and them playing in the GCL all year

Nick Johnson should not have a problem getting a 2 or 3 yr deal at the same price he can get from us for a 1 year deal. I could see a team(NY,NY,SF) offer him a 2 yr/10 mil deal and Kiko is gonna be just like Arthur Rhodes last year.We don't offer and the next day we hear he already has a 2 yr deal for 4 million

In the end its all about Jeff Loria saving money to spend on paintings and trips

Comment

• We need art for the new stadium rememeber?!

Comment

• Yeah its all about the fact the club doesn't want to pay a signing bonus plus minimal salary to develop a player with the resources that are already in place

Comment

• As expected, the #Marlins did NOT offer arbitration to their four free agents: Kiko Calero, Nick Johnson, Brendan Donnelly and Ross Gload
                              clark spencer's twitter
                              http://twitter.com/clarkspencer/status/6247808748
                              Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                              Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                              Tom Koehler(4-0)
                              AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

• Good to know that we continue to be retarded when it comes to the arbitration system
                                God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                                - Daft

Comment

Working...
                                X