X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Merandy thing made ZERO sense and then we get this news

Baltimore traded 750K in IFA cash for this guy

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ching/2018/ALL

I don't understand why they got NOTHING in return for him? Only thing I can think is they were hoping to sneak him thru for some reason. I will say there were "rumors" that he came into camp out of shape but who knows. SF had issues with him already

Henry Schulman
    ‏Verified account @hankschulman
    18h18 hours ago

Pitcher Merandy Gonzalez, whom the #SFGiants claimed on waivers from the #marlins yesterday, did not have the most auspicious start Saturday. He was supposed to arrive late morning from Florida but missed his flight. He was to take a later one Saturday).
    Last edited by tjfla; 03-04-2019, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      Just on the 40 i see guys who could have gone before him if the spot was the issue like Wallach, Kinley, Keller, Brigham, and Herrera
      You can definitely make arguments for the pitchers, but if Wallach and Herrera aren't on the roster, they pretty much have to replace them with 25 man options.

I just can't fault them for deciding they think Kinley, Keller, Brigham, E. Hernandez, Anderson, Brice, Holloway, Yamamoto, etc. are going to be better arms. It's going to be a crapshoot as to which 2-3 make it.

This still boils down to me they should have DFA'd Prado over Merandy. At least there is some longterm hope with Merandy and even at the trade deadline Prado isn't bringing a Merandy more than likely. Give those PA to Cooper/O'Brien/Herrera/Dean/Ramirez and see if you get a backup 1B/OF by the end of the year.

Hopefully for our sake, Peters, Merandy, and Wittgren aren't the best of this bunch.

Comment

• Wallach and Herrera will be around till atleast end of ST.

Holaday will likely be the backup/added and then DFA Wallach(who will pass thru easy) and be AAA depth
        Herrera will likely be DFA when we see the other guys who got DFA
        Same with guys like Kinley/Brigham/Brice/Anderson

In reality the #1 Waiver Claim in NL is pretty valuable. U can get ML Talent like SD did for a few years
        Last edited by tjfla; 03-04-2019, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• The only question I have is what is the benefit of having an open 40 man roster spot right now? Merandy or anyone else could have been cleared at any time. You would hope they have some idea who is filling that spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
            The only question I have is what is the benefit of having an open 40 man roster spot right now? Merandy or anyone else could have been cleared at any time. You would hope they have some idea who is filling that spot.
            They probably tried to sneak him thru thinking teams have set 40 man already. Easier to DFA guys right now then waiting till March 23 when every team has spots open. No real benefit of having a 40 man spot open unless its Sept 1 or Rule 5 time

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
              The only question I have is what is the benefit of having an open 40 man roster spot right now? Merandy or anyone else could have been cleared at any time. You would hope they have some idea who is filling that spot.
              You'd expect a transaction is coming. Denard Span maybe.

Could you imagine them pumping out a lineup of Granderson, Span, Walker, Prado, and S. Castro. Talk about something we'd get excited about 5 years ago.

- - - - - - - - - -

If we cherry pick Granderson, Span, Walker, Prado, and S. Castro's best season either 4 or 5 years ago, they combined for 20.2 WAR with just the 5 of them. That's fun.

Hopefully the entirety of the 2019 Marlins get there.

Comment

• Merandy was not a big loss just weird we didn't get something for him(IFA Cash/Low Level Player) but ya probably something coming like lou said

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  Merandy was not a big loss just weird we didn't get something for him(IFA Cash/Low Level Player) but ya probably something coming like lou said
                  Got to think they add an OF. Just can't count on O'Brien or Cooper at this point.

Comment

Pitcher Merandy Gonzalez, whom the #SFGiants claimed on waivers from the #marlins yesterday, did not have the most auspicious start Saturday. He was supposed to arrive late morning from Florida but missed his flight. He was to take a later one Saturday).

Ever think that maybe this is why they launched his ass?

Man-children miss flights.

I’ve flown probably 300 times in my life and have never come close to missing my flight.

Comment

• Like I mentioned seems like Marlins were trying to sneak Merandy thru while most teams had full 40 mans and SF caught them

Wells Dusenbury
                      ‏Verified account @DuseReport
                      Mar 2

Mattingly on RHP Merandy Gonzalez being claimed off waivers:

“With the roster, we knew we were going to have to make a move. You hate to lose Merandy, but again a move that we were trying to get him through.

Comment

• Bob Nightengale reported that we were interested in Adam Jones before he went to the D-Backs.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                          Bob Nightengale reported that we were interested in Adam Jones before he went to the D-Backs.
                          Yep but he held out for AB's and Better team. CarGo is in same boat-we like him but he wants to play for a contender which makes us less appealing

Thats the issue with all the FA-they ALL want to be paid,play alot AND pick the team then when they don't get it they cry about it Keuchel is still on market because he wants more than a 2 yr deal at 15+ and to be on a playoff team. Kimbrel could get 15 million from TB but he wants 4/50-60 mil from a playoff team and playoff teams aren't offering that

Comment

Yep but he held out for AB's and Better team. CarGo is in same boat-we like him but he wants to play for a contender which makes us less appealing

Thats the issue with all the FA-they ALL want to be paid,play alot AND pick the team then when they don't get it they cry about it Keuchel is still on market because he wants more than a 2 yr deal at 15+ and to be on a playoff team. Kimbrel could get 15 million from TB but he wants 4/50-60 mil from a playoff team and playoff teams aren't offering that
                            Tampa is definitely a playoff contender. They will battle the A's for the last wild card.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                              If Harper's worth this much what's Trout worth? 12 years $480 million?
                              Well, this question was answered quickly. 12 years $430 million. Probably could've gotten more in Free Agency, though I would think.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                                Well, this question was answered quickly. 12 years $430 million. Probably could've gotten more in Free Agency, though I would think.
                                I would think it'd have to have opt outs, no? With how bad they've been in his time there.

EDIT: Apparently there aren't any opt outs.
                                Last edited by rmc523; 03-19-2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X