This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
    Starlin Castro's value really confuses me, we're told by folks like tj and he seems to be right, that Castro has little to no value on the trade market, but then you get to free agency and his contract seems more than fair for what he provides.
    He has some value but nothing that would make Miami trade him. He is like Straily-they have teams they are cool trade low level prospects but there is no reason to trade him. Maybe in July u can get MORE or trade him for same value IF Diaz is ready

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    https://theathletic.com/768612/2019/...ahieu-signing/

Ken Rosenthal at the Athletic said the marlins plan on spending this offseason, and are interested in signing/acquiring a left handed bat of some sort.

He mentioned maybe trading for the Brewers’ Eric Thames as apossibility.

Others mentioned:

OF Carlos Gonzalez

OF Curtis Granderson

OF Nick Markakis

OF Gerardo Parra

1B Lucas Duda

1B Logan Morrison

IF Neil Walker.

He also pointed out the Marlins wouldn't be the first choice for any of them, but they may become an option for these guys as positions on contenders disappear.
    This is the problem we are having-they would love to sign a Jon Jay(Gone)Car Go,LoMo or Neil Walker but they all prefer to sign with a contender

That

- - - - - - - - - -

Jim Callis
    ‏Verified account @jimcallisMLB
    17h17 hours ago

Jim Callis Retweeted Cameron

The @Astros still could form an intriguing prospect package beginning w/Yordan Alvarez, Josh James & Corbin Martin, for instance. If I'm the [MENTION=217]marlins[/MENTION], I might take the Rick Hahn approach and insist on either Forrest Whitley or Kyle Tucker, though. Maybe the Astros give up Tucker.

Callis tweeted this yesterday and is what alot of people assumed we would do.

Asked
    Houston-Tucker AND Whitley lowered to Tucker and 2 of James,Martin,Perez
    Atlanta-Albies lowered to Riley,Anderson,Inciarte or Swanson

Miami has lowered the price on JT but its still nuts. 1 thing that has confused ALOT of guys is why Miami insists on Tucker or Whitley when u can get a very strong package like Alvarez,Perez,Martin and a C and move on

Comment

• If they cant get anything for Straily and Castro other than a non prospect type guy just keep them through the year and let Castro walk and maybe just non-tender Straily next year. They need to keep some veterans so they dont make the same mistake last year of blowing it up to the point where you are actively harming the development of prospects by having to call them up too early to fill minor holes.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        He has some value but nothing that would make Miami trade him. He is like Straily-they have teams they are cool trade low level prospects but there is no reason to trade him. Maybe in July u can get MORE or trade him for same value IF Diaz is ready

- - - - - - - - - -

This is the problem we are having-they would love to sign a Jon Jay(Gone)Car Go,LoMo or Neil Walker but they all prefer to sign with a contender

That

- - - - - - - - - -

Jim Callis
        ‏Verified account @jimcallisMLB
        17h17 hours ago

Jim Callis Retweeted Cameron

The @Astros still could form an intriguing prospect package beginning w/Yordan Alvarez, Josh James & Corbin Martin, for instance. If I'm the [MENTION=217]marlins[/MENTION], I might take the Rick Hahn approach and insist on either Forrest Whitley or Kyle Tucker, though. Maybe the Astros give up Tucker.

Callis tweeted this yesterday and is what alot of people assumed we would do.

Asked
        Houston-Tucker AND Whitley lowered to Tucker and 2 of James,Martin,Perez
        Atlanta-Albies lowered to Riley,Anderson,Inciarte or Swanson

Miami has lowered the price on JT but its still nuts. 1 thing that has confused ALOT of guys is why Miami insists on Tucker or Whitley when u can get a very strong package like Alvarez,Perez,Martin and a C and move on
        The goal for dealing JT should not be to "move on". Get the best deal you can get.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          If they cant get anything for Straily and Castro other than a non prospect type guy just keep them through the year and let Castro walk and maybe just non-tender Straily next year. They need to keep some veterans so they dont make the same mistake last year of blowing it up to the point where you are actively harming the development of prospects by having to call them up too early to fill minor holes.
          Well the hope for Straily is they can move him in a JT deal OR a team will lose a SP in ST. As for Castro they are fine with him around until Diaz is ready. The hope for Castro is his value stays same and a contender needs him at the deadline

Comment

Well the hope for Straily is they can move him in a JT deal OR a team will lose a SP in ST. As for Castro they are fine with him around until Diaz is ready. The hope for Castro is his value stays same and a contender needs him at the deadline
            Ya thats what I think will happen with both of them as well. straily has some value to a contender as a back end rotation guy. Especially a team like the astros who have lost a few starters this offseason and whose prospects might not be ready

Comment

• By way reports on Machado are now its like 7/215 from CWS and Philly same but they want Harper more.

Dying to see who this mystery team is!!! I dont know how Miami isn't in on him if that is the #

Sign Machado for SS
              Trade JT for 3 or 4 guys
              Sign CarGo or Neil Walker
              Sign 2 Vet RP

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              Ya thats what I think will happen with both of them as well. straily has some value to a contender as a back end rotation guy. Especially a team like the astros who have lost a few starters this offseason and whose prospects might not be ready
              They have discussed Straily with LAD,Houston and TB in JT deals. The thing that hurts his value right now is FA arms are all still out there

Comment

• if Machado is really 7 for 215 you gotta think hard about pulling the trigger on that even if it might be a year early. Anything longer than that though and id probably shy away from him. I generally hate super long deals like that but he might be an exception.

Comment

if Machado is really 7 for 215 you gotta think hard about pulling the trigger on that even if it might be a year early. Anything longer than that though and id probably shy away from him. I generally hate super long deals like that but he might be an exception.
                  Same here I am not a fan of deals like that but u will have the cash starting next year,need a SS bad for next 4 years and guy is Mr.Miami(Marketing)

7/225 is cool with me

Comment

Same here I am not a fan of deals like that but u will have the cash starting next year,need a SS bad for next 4 years and guy is Mr.Miami(Marketing)

7/225 is cool with me
                    Ya he would be a great building block along with whichever OF's pan out, a high pick this year, more emphasis on IFA, and likely another high pick in next years draft and then whatever we get in the JT return on top of a system that already has significantly more depth than it has at any point in like the last 10 years.

Comment

I dont think Castro all of a sudden became a patient hitter who hits the ball harder. Im guessing it has more to do with teams giving him less to hit in a much worse lineup than he was in recent years. Also, 48 walks in 600 ab's is nothing all that impressive at all anyways.

- - - - - - - - - -

makes sense. They need 1 OF and 1 1b so we dont have to completely rely on O'Brian and Cooper and then maybe another OF bench bat so as not to have to rush prospects for major league injuries in a lost season.
                      Yeah, it'd be a very Marlins thing to do to sign a sizable extension to a guy that suddenly did things out of line with his career.

The reason he doesn't have much value (to me), is that there are so many of "him" out there right now that other teams would rather just pay money than trade prospects. You won't be saving much by getting Castro over a FA option. It's not like he's on some 1M deal where he represents an amazing bargain vs. FA options.

Comment

• Castro 2017 slugging and 2018 BB rate and defense is a 29 year old 3+ WAR player. It's cool if you don't think he can do that, but I see a value opportunity as I think he can. He is not a Straily and it's not entirely accurate to say a FA opportunity is readily available.

It's just gotta be at the right price. But if they can trade him for a FV50 guy, sure do it tomorrow.

Comment

• but his 2017 slugging was in yankee stadium in a power packed lineup and he fell drastically this year back to his old self and had the 3rd worst slugging percentage of his career this past year. Also, i could be wrong on this, but isnt his BB rate still not impressive at all? Granted he went from 5% to 7.5%, but isnt 7.5% still pretty low. just based on numbers ive seen 48 walks in nearly 600 ab's does not seem impressive in the slightest to me. That and the 2b position is all of a sudden incredibly deep in the league. I wouldnt give castro anything more than 7-8 million and go year to year with him.

Comment

but his 2017 slugging was in yankee stadium in a power packed lineup and he fell drastically this year back to his old self and had the 3rd worst slugging percentage of his career this past year. Also, i could be wrong on this, but isnt his BB rate still not impressive at all? Granted he went from 5% to 7.5%, but isnt 7.5% still pretty low. just based on numbers ive seen 48 walks in nearly 600 ab's does not seem impressive in the slightest to me. That and the 2b position is all of a sudden incredibly deep in the league. I wouldnt give castro anything more than 7-8 million and go year to year with him.
                            That's fine, but Castro at 4/$48-52 for his age 29-32 seasons is worth more than a FV45 prospect.

Any value opportunity they need to take. But if you want to say, I'd rather have a FV45 prospect and spend $36 million in free agency 2020+ (as you're paying Castro in at least 2019), that's fine too.

At some point, you gotta build a team. It's probably next year with "Xander" if you're making a splash.

Comment

• Bogaerts would be a fantastic signing next year if we dont sign machado this year. Love his game, has improved statistically every year except 2017 when he was hurt, and is young.

And i wasnt saying castro isnt worth more than a fv45 prospect, I was saying I just would either let him expire and move on after this year or just trade him for whatever you can get at the deadline. My problem was with the extension terms.

Comment

• We’re not signing Machado.

Comment

Working...
                                X