This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lou View Post
    We can say a lot of bad things about Brinson, but he did have a .257 BABIP, his offensive woes were clearly carrying into the field with some truly awful plays, he got hurt right when he started hitting in June, he always walked in the minors so there is real hope there he figures out the zone at the MLB level, and his power is very very real if he can translate it into games.

Maybe he is nothing which would be disappointing, but get him hitting even .230, with a few more walks, above average defense, and legitimate speed on the basepaths, and that's a solid starter. He may never be a star, but if he's jacking 25-30 bombs hitting 7th, has an OBP over .300, and plays good defense, that's definitely a longterm starter on club controlled prices.

I'm interested in watching him in 2018, but could lose interest fast with another 250 PA of garbage.
    Agreed with this. People think i'm all in on brinson being a star but im not, i just think bailing on him already is short sighted when you look at how he was handled last year. He shouldnt have been up to start the year, then he struggles so we move him to the 8th spot on a terrible team in a lost year anyways rather than just sending him down (which was the smart thing to do regardless given his service time). Just all around terrible year for him, no doubt, but the team absolutely fucked him as well in the way they handled him. I think a decent comparison for his likely turnout would be Odubel Herrera (just offensive stat line wise, im not sure about herrera's defense). Something like 25-30 hr's, good speed, good amount of k's, and a low OBP.

Id like to see what he looks like after an offseason of adjustment with his swing. When he initially came back he had a much more closed swing compared to the beginning of the year and then he retreated back to the old and more open swing after a few weeks and predictably struggled again. He also looked just much more comfortable at the plate once he came back from injury. Young players like him and monte who k a lot can often get in trouble getting behind in counts at times cause it seems like they are in their own head and dont want to swing right away and end up playing themselves into pitchers counts and getting behind in at bats.

- - - - - - - - - -

I think i can speak for most when i say im very fucking ready for JT to be moved already if he's not gonna re-sign. It's been the only thing to talk about since yelich was dealt and it will be good to finally know which pieces we will be able to slot in there finally. The next week when he is moved will determine a lot about the future of the franchise and the direction we go in future drafts and free agencies.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
    Yeah, I read that report. It sounds like they think he can stick there despite limited range.
    I think he's the type of guy who wont be a great SS but you leave him there as long as humanly possible because of the bat at that position. He becomes less valuable at other positions.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Those odds may be too kind. Everyone sees things differently, but Brinson looked pretty hopeless to me. When a guy has to start his swing so early, it's easy to get fooled. Maybe he could play for the Rockies, where curve balls don't move much. Harrison was the Fall League poster boy last year, where even as a taxi squader he impressed everyone with one majestic homer after another. This year was a whiff. According to the fangraph writers who covered this year's Fall League, Monte's new swing was a mess. He cut down on strikeouts (slightly), but at the cost of power and lift. He was reduced to hitting almost nothing but ground balls. Harrison has a steep hill to climb. By virtue of being a total unknown, Victor Victor is our great Cuban Hope.
    do you have a link to that? id love to read what they wrote about his fall league.

Comment

• Sources: Still “in" on J.T.Realmuto: NYM, PHI, SD, ATL, TB….not as aggressive but “in” are LA, COL, Milw, Hous, CWS https://twitter.com/JimBowdenGM/stat...57535292485632
      San Diego and Tampa Bay, yes please.

All over San Diego for any two of Gore, Urias, Mejia, Quantrill, Morejon, and unfortunately Paddock. They have good third level guys too. A lot of options here all over the place. I assume Tatis is untouchable.

Tampa would probably have to base the deal around Brendan McKay, who would be beyond perfect (especially as a hitter too). They have a lot of depth for secondary pieces. This would be a pitching heavy deal as they would likely throw in another pitcher as piece 2, but they have a good young catcher prospect (Hernandez) and SS (Fox) they don't need at all. A lot of options. I'm sure they'd Conley too. Hope they are actually in on him. Tampa just traded for Zunino so not sure why they are included, but I love McKay.

Comment

• san diego and tampa bay getting involved would be the best case scenario. Might be the 2 best farm systems in baseball. Im pretty sure tampa bay just signed a catcher though and unless they plan on doing what they and oakland occassionally do and get a guy with 2 years of team control left and then dealthem prior to free agency or just lose them to free agency I dont see them getting involved. Padres make so much sense and there farm system is so ridiculously deep with stuff we need there are probably a hundred combinations of guys who work from their system. Im not sure their interest level is so high though because Hedges can't hit all that well but he is tremendous defensively and they already have Hosmer at 1b so its not like JT can just play there half the time.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post

All over San Diego for any two of Gore, Urias, Mejia, Quantrill, Morejon, and unfortunately Paddock. They have good third level guys too. A lot of options here all over the place. I assume Tatis is untouchable.

Tampa would probably have to base the deal around Brendan McKay, who would be beyond perfect (especially as a hitter too). They have a lot of depth for secondary pieces. This would be a pitching heavy deal as they would likely throw in another pitcher as piece 2, but they have a good young catcher prospect (Hernandez) and SS (Fox) they don't need at all. A lot of options. I'm sure they'd Conley too. Hope they are actually in on him. Tampa just traded for Zunino so not sure why they are included, but I love McKay.
        Gore and Tatis would likely be untouchable but the good thing about them is that their system is absurdly deep. They have 10 guys in mlb top prospect list and numbers 11 and 12 on the list have fallen off because of a bad year last year and then anderson espinosa is a top 100 talent coming off tommy john.

- - - - - - - - - -

But if san diego does get involved we will likely have our catcher of the future because they have both Hedges and just got mejia. I find it unlikely they get super involved but assuming gore and tatis are rightfully untouchable, id take Mejia, Urias, and one of their top 100 pitchers.

- - - - - - - - - -

Jt for Paddack and Naylor and Capps. If colin rea is still around for them we'll take him too.

Comment

• I know you’re likely mentioning Carter Capps half joking but.....

I don’t want Carter Capps on the Marlins. He was only really good when he was cheating.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/cart...one-strikeout/

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            I know you’re likely mentioning Carter Capps half joking but.....

I don’t want Carter Capps on the Marlins. He was only really good when he was cheating.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/cart...one-strikeout/
            lol were allowed to agree, just not too much. gotta maintain this healthy animosity namaste! the fact that we kept capps until injury despite the act that his windup was about to be outlawed is the most loria of loria moves. he was pretty unbelievable for that period he was allowed to blatantly cheat though.

- - - - - - - - - -

and before its taken out of context i was clearly kidding about Jt for paddack and naylor.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

Yep SD and TB yes please. Only issue with it is Jim Bowden is NOT really a Marlins guy so not sure. The Marlins guys are Mish,Feinsand,Cotillo,Morosi

They were both interested in JT in July but we all thought they were out on him

SD-Urias OR Mejia/Gore,Morejon,Quantrill,,Nix,Paddock/Baez,Patino,Esteury Ruiz,Xavier Edwards,Andres Munoz(In other words TONS of Options)
              TB-Like lou said so much its nuts

- - - - - - - - - -

I didnt hear anything today but some NY guy reported that NYM is willing to include Rosario. If that is true probably means NYM is #1 choice right now. Monday the rumors will be flying

NYM(with Rosario)
              Atlanta
              SD
              TB

Ill take a deal with ANY of them

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                Yep SD and TB yes please. Only issue with it is Jim Bowden is NOT really a Marlins guy so not sure. The Marlins guys are Mish,Feinsand,Cotillo,Morosi

They were both interested in JT in July but we all thought they were out on him

SD-Urias OR Mejia/Gore,Morejon,Quantrill,,Nix,Paddock/Baez,Patino,Esteury Ruiz,Xavier Edwards,Andres Munoz(In other words TONS of Options)
                TB-Like lou said so much its nuts

- - - - - - - - - -

I didnt hear anything today but some NY guy reported that NYM is willing to include Rosario. If that is true probably means NYM is #1 choice right now. Monday the rumors will be flying

NYM(with Rosario)
                Atlanta
                SD
                TB

Ill take a deal with ANY of them
                My two cents: Mets seem most likely landing spot for Grandal. Don't think they'd add much to Rosario, and his performance raised doubts. Atlanta seems set on just Riley and Soroka. SD may offer Mejia and Urias. And TB has Zunino.

The most obvious partner stands out as the Dodgers. The key return there might be Lux (who shows big time hitting potential at 2B or possibly even SS, and Ruiz. To me, getting a catcher back is huge. However, I don't think the Dodgers would add much to that package unless Miami took W Smith instead of Ruiz. I could sort of see a Puig/Castro flip tossed into the mix, which would be good for Miami attendance and bad for Mattingly - so not likely. Maybe Indians give up MacKenzie and Jones.
                Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-09-2018, 05:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                  My two cents: Mets seem most likely landing spot for Grandal. Don't think they'd add much to Rosario, and his performance raised doubts. Atlanta seems set on just Riley and Soroka. SD may offer Mejia and Urias. And TB has Zunino.

The most obvious partner stands out as the Dodgers. The key return there might be Lux (who shows big time hitting potential at 2B or possibly even SS, and Ruiz. To me, getting a catcher back is huge. However, I don't think the Dodgers would add much to that package unless Miami took W Smith instead of Ruiz. I could sort of see a Puig/Castro flip tossed into the mix, which would be good for Miami attendance and bad for Mattingly - so not likely. Maybe Indians give up MacKenzie and Jones.
                  #1 Mattingly would never take Puig and LAD has told Miami multiple times the price is too high. This could change once FA sign but right now they keep balking

Mets "Plan B" is Martin Maldonado

Right now the teams based on rank is

NYM(IF rumor about Rosario is true)
                  Atlanta(Riley/Soroka)
                  Philly(Far back however)

Everyone else and would love SD/TB thing to be true. Could see LAD/Hou/Col still get in on JT but all 3 have said price too high for them

Comment

• I don't think just Lux and Ruiz would be too high for Dodgers but Miami is probably asking for more. To me, those two would be a lot for just two years of Realmuto. Two of a team's top five prospects is a huge ask in most cases.
                    Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-09-2018, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• Milwaukee/Clev are talking a OF for SP swap

If we get Nimmo dont be surprised if he is Atlanta for 2 prospects

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                      I don't think just Lux and Ruiz would be too high for Dodgers but Miami is probably asking for more. To me, those two would be a lot for just two years of Realmuto.
                      They are they want "3 guys" and are getting offers of 3/4 guys from teams. This is the reason teams like Houston/LAD/Colorado/Milwaukee aren't really in for JT. They are getting outbid

Philly,NYM are both offering 4 guys with the 4th a C(Alfaro/1 of the 3 C)

- - - - - - - - - -

Right now the JT market is pretty easy

If NYM offer Rosario then they are in the lead. Deal "prolly" looks like this

Mia-Rosario/Nimmo/P(Kilome,Peterson,Kay)/C(d'Araund,Plawecki,Nido)
                      NYM-JT and maybe Rojas

If NYM do NOT offer Rosario then Atlanta is in the lead and the deal "prolly" look like this

Mia-Riley/Soroka/P(Mueller,Wentz,Bryse Wilson)
                      Atl-JT

SD and TB NO clue but HOPE they are in with an offer!!!!!!

Then IF we do the NYM deal maybe we flip Nimmo to Atlanta???

Mia-P(Mueller,Wentz,Bryse Wilson,Touki) and another prospect
                      Atl-Nimmo
                      Last edited by tjfla; 12-09-2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• 1) I do not get impression that Rosario AND Nimmo is even a possiblity (even with Rojas thrown in).
                        2) I do not get the impression that ATL would give up Riley/Soroka AND another of their top ten prospects.

If there is one particular prospect that Miami should be targeting above all others IMO, it's C Ruiz.
                        I also think that Nimmo could fetch two of Atlanta's top ten. He's cheap and fills an immediate need for the Braves. However, I'd be inclined to take an ATL deal for Realmuto right now if it included Riley, Soroka or Anderson, and Bryse Wilson. If Richards, Lopez, Neidert, Alcantara, Urena continue to improve, and Caleb Smith and Straily fare well, Marlins will have a good amount of trade bait for everyday players. And in the short term, good pitching will at least keep the team competitive.
                        Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-09-2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

1) I do not get impression that Rosario AND Nimmo is even a possiblity (even with Rojas thrown in).
                          2) I do not get the impression that ATL would give up Riley/Soroka AND another of their top ten prospects.

If there is one particular prospect that Miami should be targeting above all others IMO, it's C Ruiz.
                          I also think that Nimmo could fetch two of Atlanta's top ten. He's cheap and fills an immediate need for the Braves. However, I'd be inclined to take an ATL deal for Realmuto right now if it included Riley, Soroka or Anderson, and Bryse Wilson.
                          Agree about Nimmo and Atlanta-I just put other prospect cause not sure who else they would want(Would be 2 of Atlanta's prospect #7-12 or so)

Well Miami likes Rosario ALOT and he fills the SS need. Again IF Rosario is in the NYM offer than they probably are in the lead. If u get Rosario/Nimmo u then flip Nimmo to Atlanta and get lots of stuff u like

Rosario,Peterson,Mueller,another #7-12 Atlanta Prospect,Nido and maybe a low level prospect from NYM for JT and Rojas

ML SS,ML Ready C,At least 2 LHP who are in AA(Ready in 2020) and 2 more prospects

- - - - - - - - - -

Something that people keep forgetting about is Rosario is a SS and its a BIG need position for Miami. Yes I would rather have Riley but he is a 3B if u make the trade it sends BA to RF and then 1B in 2020. If u get Rosario u keep BA at 3B and have a SS for next few years

1B ?
                          2B Diaz
                          SS Rosario
                          3B BA

OR

1B BA
                          2B Diaz
                          SS ?
                          3B Riley
                          Last edited by tjfla; 12-09-2018, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• What you forget is that Rosario has a ways to go before he can match the WAR of Miguel Friggin' Rojas at SS! I might prefer to wait on Giminez over Rosario if that would net Nimmo in the deal.
                            Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-09-2018, 07:23 AM.

Comment

What you forget is that Rosario has a ways to go before he can match the WAR of Miguel Friggin' Rojas at SS!
                              U are right Rojas is so much better than Rosario!!! Lets keep Rojas and sign him long term

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                U are right Rojas is so much better than Rosario!!! Lets keep Rojas and sign him long term
                                I don't create the stats, I just read them. M Rojas 2.4 WAR in 2018. Rosario .8. Fielding is a lot of that. Rosario is a diamond in the ruff, ruff, ruff. He's a project, not a finished product. Lewis Brinson was a highly regarded, toolsy player too. I glanced at rookie year production for all the good shortstops - Seager. Correa, Lindor, Bogarts, Gregorious, Simmons, etc. etc. They all put up WAR numbers that were 3-8 times higher than Rosario. Hell, even Addison Russell put up a vasty better WAR! All I'm saying is yellow flags everywhere. Would you trade Realmuto for Dansby Swanson? Swanson was a better contributor than Rosario this season.
                                Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-09-2018, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X