This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    Im so glad we didnt sign Jensen or Chapman that year. I said at the time it made no sense to give up a first rounder and im glad we didnt just try to add a closer to a mediocre team and expect us to compete.

The Luis Castillo and Paddack ones are the biggest indictment on Loria just clearly looking at like 1 prospect list and being fine with it. He was an unmitigated train wreck whenever he even slightly asserted his power in baseball decisions.
    He would look at multiple lists. The issue was guys like Castillo/Paddack/Francis Martes weren't highly ranked yet on BA/MLB/Sickels. Its like Yamamoto or Pablo-neither was highly ranked but now they both are Top 10 guys. If Jeff was in charge still he likely would have traded them both He saw Kolek was Top 3 and thought he was a great PITCHER when in fact he had just had a 100mph FB and size

- - - - - - - - - -

His thought process was why care what Francis Martes could be in 3 years when Cosart is a ML Pitcher Already. Same with Paddack-why care about him when he is 3 years away and Fernando Rodney can help us make the playoffs right now

It was the same in the IFA Market. Why spend 5 million on guys 5 years away when he can spend 5 million on Buck or Salty to Catch NOW? Same in Draft-why spend more on draft picks when u can trade them for guys closer to the Majors and cheaper. Instead of spending 2 million on #36 pick trade it for Brigham who is closer to ready and costs less

VERY STUPID thinking but he was the "GM" and the FO did what he wanted

Comment

• The Phillies placed Bour on waivers. He'll probably eventually clear and become a free agent. Could we resign him to a lesser deal than he would've gotten had we kept him?

Comment

• His arbritration figure is est. at $5M. As a free agent, he might get 2/8 or so, that's just a guess. I don't think the Marlins want him. To your question, yes, he may wind up signing as a free agent for less than $5M. Bour was a huge disappointment to me last season. I truly had visions of 30/100.
        Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-14-2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
          His arbritration figure is est. at $5M. As a free agent, he might get 2/8 or so, that's just a guess. I don't think the Marlins want him. To your question, yes, he may wind up signing as a free agent for less than $5M. Bour was a huge disappointment to me last season. I truly had visions of 30/100.
          ┻┳|
          ┳┻|
          ┻┳|
          ┳┻|
          ┻┳|
          ┳┻|
          ┻┳|
          ┳┻|
          ┻┳|
          ┳┻|
          ┻┳|
          ┳┻|
          ┻┳|
          ┳┻|
          ┻┳|
          ┳┻|
          ┻┳|
          ┳┻| _
          ┻┳| •.•) because you’re bad at evaluating players
          ┳┻|⊂ノ
          ┻┳|
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
            The Phillies placed Bour on waivers. He'll probably eventually clear and become a free agent. Could we resign him to a lesser deal than he would've gotten had we kept him?
            Probably. LoMo got 1/$6.5 last year and had a much stronger year in 2017 than anything Bour ever has done. You can imagine Bour will get a 1/$3-4 deal with incentives or something similar. He's probably a deal at that amount. He had a pretty low BABIP last year and was still hitting the ball hard. Maybe shifts really killed him though.

It's hard to project what they will do right now pending Realmuto, but I think it's likely they will get a corner IF player (Hou-Alvarez, Atl-Riley) in whatever deal and that player is ready to come up August 1st. I think this is letting O'Brien and Cooper rip and see what happens, signing someone like Brad Miller to play 1B in AAA so there is a legitimate call up option, and having some other guy able to cover 1B, like maybe LuCroy (Marlins can guarantee playing time!) or some 1B/LF type.

Total slopfest 2019 should be the goal.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
              Probably. LoMo got 1/$6.5 last year and had a much stronger year in 2017 than anything Bour ever has done. You can imagine Bour will get a 1/$3-4 deal with incentives or something similar. He's probably a deal at that amount. He had a pretty low BABIP last year and was still hitting the ball hard. Maybe shifts really killed him though.
              His BABIP was also unsustainably high in 2017. Offense league-wide was up in 17 and Bour took advantage of it. All of his peripherals on launch angel, exit velocity, etc were pretty much the same. There was a fangraphs piece in 2017 that basically neutralized Bour's offense relative to the offensive gains others had in 17 and found that yeah, he was basically the same player and 17 was a product of the league-wide offense boost.

I like Bour, he has real power, but expecting 30/100 was a pipe dream.
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                His BABIP was also unsustainably high in 2017. Offense league-wide was up in 17 and Bour took advantage of it. All of his peripherals on launch angel, exit velocity, etc were pretty much the same. There was a fangraphs piece in 2017 that basically neutralized Bour's offense relative to the offensive gains others had in 17 and found that yeah, he was basically the same player and 17 was a product of the league-wide offense boost.

I like Bour, he has real power, but expecting 30/100 was a pipe dream.
                He also had Stanton, Ozuna, and Yelich around him in 2017, which means he likely saw better pitches than '18.

Comment

• Looks like Miami is targeting LAD and Houston for JT

LAD-Verdugo,May and Will Smith
                  Houston-Alvarez,Martin,5-10 Prospect(Perez/Nova/JB), and Stubbs

That is what they are asking for but trades could grow as both teams want Pitching

NYM/Atlanta/Washington are all interested but Miami wants to send him out of the NL East if they can so doubtful they trade him to an NL East team.
                  Last edited by tjfla; 11-15-2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• MLBTR just had an article proposing the Marlins as an out of the box option for a Carlos Santana trade w/ the Phillies.

Comment

MLBTR just had an article proposing the Marlins as an out of the box option for a Carlos Santana trade w/ the Phillies.
                      Doubtful with his contract. Miami is likely to add a 1B/OF bat in JT trade instead of the FA market(Verdugo/Alvarez)

More likely is LoMo/Bour/Cabrera/Murphy/Brad Miller until June/July then trade them and call up the young guy they get

- - - - - - - - - -

Plan seems to be

Trade JT and get a ML Ready C(Will Smith/Stubbs),1B/OF bat(Verdugo/Alvarez) and Big Time Arm(May/Martin) at least
                      Sign a C(Chirinos,Maldonado,Suzuki,Mathis)Power Lefty bat(Adams,Cabrera,LoMo,Bour,Murphy) and 2 or 3 Vet Arms
                      Rule 5 Draft 1 or 2 Guys(C/Pitchers/OF)

Trade the FA at the Deadline and call up the guys they get in the JT deal

Still looking at Machado but not at price he wants-7/240 and Miami are players for him

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                        Doubtful with his contract. Miami is likely to add a 1B/OF bat in JT trade instead of the FA market(Verdugo/Alvarez)

More likely is LoMo/Bour/Cabrera/Murphy/Brad Miller until June/July then trade them and call up the young guy they get

- - - - - - - - - -

Plan seems to be

Trade JT and get a ML Ready C(Will Smith/Stubbs),1B/OF bat(Verdugo/Alvarez) and Big Time Arm(May/Martin) at least
                        Sign a C(Chirinos,Maldonado,Suzuki,Mathis)Power Lefty bat(Adams,Cabrera,LoMo,Bour,Murphy) and 2 or 3 Vet Arms
                        Rule 5 Draft 1 or 2 Guys(C/Pitchers/OF)

Trade the FA at the Deadline and call up the guys they get in the JT deal

Still looking at Machado but not at price he wants-7/240 and Miami are players for him
                        Their argument was if we take the contract, you demand a prospect or two with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                          Looks like Miami is targeting LAD and Houston for JT

Miami-Verdugo,May and Will Smith
                          Houston-Alvarez,Martin,5-10 Prospect(Perez/Nova/JB), and Stubbs

That is what they are asking for but trades could grow as both teams want Pitching

NYM/Atlanta/Washington are all interested but Miami wants to send him out of the NL East if they can so doubtful they trade him to an NL East team.
                          That Astros deal just isn't all that appealing to me. If you're not getting Tucker or Whitley, you had better be getting their next 3 best prospects at least. Taking that deal over Robles or the package the Braves can offer just because you don't want him in the division is incredibly stupid IMO.

Comment

Their argument was if we take the contract, you demand a prospect or two with it.
                            Don't forget that IF they get rid of his contract that helps them get Bryce or Machado for 7-10 years. Its possible since Miami likes the Philly system(MIF Prospect and De Los Santos) but doubtful with contract and the fact Miami isnt looking to help any NL East teams

Comment

MLBTR just had an article proposing the Marlins as an out of the box option for a Carlos Santana trade w/ the Phillies.
                              Perhaps if they take back Prado. Then his deal is essentially 2/$20 million.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                                That Astros deal just isn't all that appealing to me. If you're not getting Tucker or Whitley, you had better be getting their next 3 best prospects at least. Taking that deal over Robles or the package the Braves can offer just because you don't want him in the division is incredibly stupid IMO.
                                U are kinda getting their next 3 best. Alvarez #3/Perez #5,Martin #6,JB #7/Nova #9.

#4 is Josh James who is 26 and likely a RP
                                #8 is Seth Beer who is Alvarez clone

I dont mind an LAD or Houston deal

Comment

Working...
                                X