This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lou View Post
    And that's what we said (assuming Duplainter and Widener are around the same level, which they basically are)? Chuck in some throw ins outside their top 20 to make up the value and send them back Straily too as they need a pitcher, and call that a day. They do need to give up more players as they don't have the 1 "it" guy, i.e. a Robles type. Also, ignores they can resign Realmuto. This isn't about Goldy. It's about Realmuto and what he brings overall. Whether Arizona will blow up their farm with the impending exodus of player after 19/20 is irrelevant to me. Realmuto is worth what he is worth.
    Daulton and Chisholm are my personal favorites because I like Realmuto and think Daulton is the second-coming of that style of catcher. Daulton is ahead of Realmuto at this stage of his development - although it's impossible to project his future path. I see some Francisco Lindor in Chisholm and that's my privilege! It was fun watching Harrison knock in both Daulton and Chisholm with a double yesterday.

Smith or Ruiz, May or Ferguson, and Lux is the way I'm predicting the Realmuto trade shakes out.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-02-2018, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Assuming they move Realmuto, Castro, and Dietrich, this is the slopfest for 2019 I want to just get to 2020:

C - Nick Hundley, Devin Mesoraco - cheap 1 year free agents who could be solid backups to trade
      1B - O'Brien, Cooper - Who cares, let them play. See if you got something
      2B - Rojas, Brad Miller/Logan Forsythe/Something like that - cheap 1 year free agents and see if they rebound, can also cover 1B
      SS - Riddle - Let him and Rojas platoon, that's fine.
      3B - Anderson - Set him here and forget him until next year no matter what happens
      LF - Denard Span/John Jay - cheap 1 year deal, trade candidate at deadline
      CF - Brinson, "Rule V Pick" - Just grab anyone who can maybe be a 4th OF to challenge Sierra/Lee in the future
      RF - Curtis Granderson/Cargo - cheap 1 year deal, trade candidate at deadline

Literally field some crap lineup like that as it doesn't matter. Get players for Realmuto, Castro, and Dietrich, and let everyone stay in the minors.

As soon as Diaz, VVM, Monte, and likely at least 1 good bat prospect for Realmuto are ready, they push whoever off their spot as no one is blocking them.

That's what should happen. This isn't a team for Schwarber or Zobrist.
      Are you just cutting Prado?

Comment

Assuming they move Realmuto, Castro, and Dietrich, this is the slopfest for 2019 I want to just get to 2020:

C - Nick Hundley, Devin Mesoraco - cheap 1 year free agents who could be solid backups to trade
        2B - Rojas, Brad Miller/Logan Forsythe/Something like that - cheap 1 year free agents and see if they rebound, can also cover 1B
        3B - Anderson - Set him here and forget him until next year no matter what happens
        CF - Brinson, "Rule V Pick" - Just grab anyone who can maybe be a 4th OF to challenge Sierra/Lee in the future

Literally field some crap lineup like that as it doesn't matter. Get players for Realmuto, Castro, and Dietrich, and let everyone stay in the minors.

As soon as Diaz, VVM, Monte, and likely at least 1 good bat prospect for Realmuto are ready, they push whoever off their spot as no one is blocking them.

Zobrist would actually make sense given his versatility and his deal is reasonable for 1 year and we can trade him for something at the deadline. If we could get him in a cost cutting move for the cubs where we dont have to give up much i think he'd be a useful piece just to add to the lineup for the year. Who even knows if he's available I just saw that they were trying to bring back Hamels.

Schwarber would also be if we could buy low and just plug him at 1b where he should be playing in the NL and also where we dont really have anything at the position.

I know you want a full crap team but i think its worth it to spend a little more money on a few quality veterans on 1 year deals at 1b, corner OF, and some reliever fliers. It gives young guys some leadership and stability and allows us not to have to rush prospects like we did a lot last year. I think you can get a good 1b/DH type in free agency for cheap (but they are also very hit and miss) and another veteran corner outfielder on a 1 year deal for 7-8 million that would be very useful for a year. Plus you have the opportunity to flip them at the deadline when ideally some prospects are ready.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          Are you just cutting Prado?
          Yes. But if you want to put him into that Brad Miller/Logan Forsythe role, sure. Maybe they start the year like that and someone like Brad Miller will get a MiLB deal with a May 15th opt out if not called up.

Anyways, my point was, if they are going to move Realmuto, scorch earth. Trade all of them, get some cheap 1 year veterans that don't even cost you combined what Castro makes, and start looking to the inevitable mass call up of Diaz, VVM, Monte, Guzman, Neidert, Yamamoto, Gallen, and "whatever you got for Realmuto" in 2020.

I'm fully committed to sucking.

Comment

Yes. But if you want to put him into that Brad Miller/Logan Forsythe role, sure. Maybe they start the year like that and someone like Brad Miller will get a MiLB deal with a May 15th opt out if not called up.

Anyways, my point was, if they are going to move Realmuto, scorch earth. Trade all of them, get some cheap 1 year veterans that don't even cost you combined what Castro makes, and start looking to the inevitable mass call up of Diaz, VVM, Monte, Guzman, Neidert, Yamamoto, Gallen, and "whatever you got for Realmuto" in 2020.

If he's just not gonna be healthy ever again is there a way to get prado's money back through insurance like we did for Volquez? Im all for having Prado back as a utility bench guy if he's heathy but if its gonna be the same issues just cut him and get it over with and keep churning through players.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              Zobrist would actually make sense given his versatility and his deal is reasonable for 1 year and we can trade him for something at the deadline. If we could get him in a cost cutting move for the cubs where we dont have to give up much i think he'd be a useful piece just to add to the lineup for the year. Who even knows if he's available I just saw that they were trying to bring back Hamels.

Schwarber would also be if we could buy low and just plug him at 1b where he should be playing in the NL and also where we dont really have anything at the position.

I know you want a full crap team but i think its worth it to spend a little more money on a few quality veterans on 1 year deals at 1b, corner OF, and some reliever fliers. It gives young guys some leadership and stability and allows us not to have to rush prospects like we did a lot last year. I think you can get a good 1b/DH type in free agency for cheap (but they are also very hit and miss) and another veteran corner outfielder on a 1 year deal for 7-8 million that would be very useful for a year. Plus you have the opportunity to flip them at the deadline when ideally some prospects are ready.
              Sure, but aiming for Zobrist is WAY WAY TOO HIGH. He's a good player that will end up on a good tume. The Marlins need reclamation projects.

Span, Granderson, Ba. Miller, N. Hundley, Mesoraco, Jay, Forsythe, Cargo, LoMo if you want a 1B, etc. Grabbing say 5 of those guys gets you to August when ideally you can start calling up guys like Diaz, VVM, Sierra, Realmuto assets, etc.

That should be the move in the "trade Realmuto" scenario, and ignoring the 2% chance they go for Machado.

Comment

Sure, but aiming for Zobrist is WAY WAY TOO HIGH. He's a good player that will end up on a good tume. The Marlins need reclamation projects.

Span, Granderson, Ba. Miller, N. Hundley, Mesoraco, Jay, Forsythe, Cargo, LoMo if you want a 1B, etc. Grabbing say 5 of those guys gets you to August when ideally you can start calling up guys like Diaz, VVM, Sierra, Realmuto assets, etc.

That should be the move in the "trade Realmuto" scenario, and ignoring the 2% chance they go for Machado.
                I like a good reclamation project and wouldnt mind signing a few of those guys, but i think its worth it to spend a couple extra million to get a good bat on a 1 year deal. We should have a little money to spend and im not talking adding $30 million to the payroll. $7-8 million on a solid veteran bat or 2 is reasonable and id prefer developing our young players around some quality veterans and then trying to flip the veterans at the deadline as opposed to just saying fuck it completely and just signing a bunch of guys to small or minor league deals and seeing what sticks.

Comment

I like a good reclamation project and wouldnt mind signing a few of those guys, but i think its worth it to spend a couple extra million to get a good bat on a 1 year deal. We should have a little money to spend and im not talking adding $30 million to the payroll. $7-8 million on a solid veteran bat or 2 is reasonable and id prefer developing our young players around some quality veterans and then trying to flip the veterans at the deadline as opposed to just saying fuck it completely and just signing a bunch of guys to small or minor league deals and seeing what sticks.
                  Keep Castro and trade him in July then. That's $7-8 million pro-rated. An acquiring team does get an option, so if he does it again, there is some real value there.

Comment

Keep Castro and trade him in July then. That's $7-8 million pro-rated. An acquiring team does get an option, so if he does it again, there is some real value there.
                    Im talking on top of keeping castro. Keeping him and flipping him for whatever you can get at the deadline is a given for me.

- - - - - - - - - -

If we trade JT, Straily, and DD we will have plenty of room to make at least a few quality additions with the hopes of flipping them.

Comment

Im talking on top of keeping castro. Keeping him and flipping him for whatever you can get at the deadline is a given for me.

- - - - - - - - - -

If we trade JT, Straily, and DD we will have plenty of room to make at least a few quality additions with the hopes of flipping them.
                      You're talking who I said for the OF in that scenario - John Jay, Curtis Granderson, Cargo, Denard Span types. They probably need 2 plus a Rule V pick on offense that can make the team.

DD should go though, unless they have no confidence in O'Brien/Cooper to hold down spots.

Comment

I don't bother spending the money for new additions. Hand the LF job to Dean for a year. Pay ten million of Prado's salary and send him to Atlanta, leaving Anderson at 3B. Bring up Eric Campbell for utility (if he still belongs to the Marlins). Yep, Brinson in center, batting ninth behind the pitcher, and pray that Harrison can replace him by mid-season. Bryan Holladay returns to catch. Cooper and O'Brien in RF and 1B.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post

I'm all for 1 year deals for guys - I thought it was inexplicable why we didn't sign a few other guys last year (unless it was just that nobody would sign here) to flip at the deadline.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                          I don't bother spending the money for new additions. Hand the LF job to Dean for a year. Pay ten million of Prado's salary and send him to Atlanta, leaving Anderson at 3B. Bring up Eric Campbell for utility (if he still belongs to the Marlins). Yep, Brinson in center, batting ninth behind the pitcher, and pray that Harrison can replace him by mid-season. Bryan Holladay returns to catch. Cooper and O'Brien in RF and 1B.
                          You spend the money (pocket change, not expensive deals) in order to acquire prospects at the deadline, not to be a better team.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            I'm all for 1 year deals for guys - I thought it was inexplicable why we didn't sign a few other guys last year (unless it was just that nobody would sign here) to flip at the deadline.
                            The one asset the Marlins have in connection to this IMO is playing time. Someone like Brad Miller could get 400 PA in Miami, or be in Milwaukee's AAA system hoping for a leg break. There are guys who will just want to play and know if they do well, the Marlins will flip them like Ziegler.

Opportunity is what it is. LoMo gets minor league deals for 20 teams, but starts at 1B relatively unchallenged for Miami. Especially versus RHP which would be a lock. I feel those guys take the playing time to re-establish themselves and then they look like great trade deals and hit FA next year.

They should sign minimum 3 of those guys for offense.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            You spend the money (pocket change, not expensive deals) in order to acquire prospects at the deadline, not to be a better team.
                            And protect the prospects, so there is no dire need to rush Diaz and Dean/Sierra/Lee (who obviously need to stay in AAA), let alone everyone else.

Comment

• LOMO? Good grief -.3 WAR in 321 AB. O'Brien +.7 in 66 ab.

And how do you lump Dean's AAA performance with Sierra and Lee?
                              Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-02-2018, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• Speaking of O'Brien, I hope they give him a legit shot to start somewhere next year. His minor league numbers indicate he might have been a nice find similar to what bour provided out of nowhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X