Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didnt see it posted yesterday but we outrighted Bryan Holaday, Miguel Del Pozo, and Drew Rucinski yesterday and rucinski opted for free agency. Thought we'd keep Holaday but I think it makes sense to open the 40 man spot for now, bring another similar player on a spring training invitation and then add whoever wins the backup C spot to the 40 man at the end of spring training next year.

I also never understood why we put Del Pozo on the 40 man to begin with. Still have several we can remove if we need the spots moving forward like Wallach, Galloway, Kinley, and Yadiel Rivera. Not sure how many spots we have open right now.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
    Ha thanks man. I'm trying. Lee seems like a good guy and passionate about baseball. I appreciate that. It would be fun if he stuck around as he is definitely a different voice, but we need to get past this "all catchers are replaceable" and other non-sense stuff. I feel like he may have an epiphany moment one of these days and it's going to click. I feel he's always going to like "his guys" a bit more then he should, but he'll get to the point where he understands a grade 70/80 fastball from Guzman is worth a lot more then whatever moderate RP ceiling Meyer could be. I think we'll all take that and run with it.

What we really need is for Alcantara or Guzman to just become an awesome reliever next season and blow Lee's mind as how that happened when AAA catches up to the Yamamotos of the world. Who knows.

- - - - - - - - - -

That draft makes me so sad. I am 100% into drafting college guys in the first round (even if you miss Yelich and Fernandez) just because I feel you have mitigated risk so dramatically. Swing for the fences with Stanton and Realmuto types in 2/3. Of course subject to talent in each draft, but generally there are probably equally ranked college guys available in round 1. Just my preference there. I am very Billy Beane OG moneyball in this regard.

Not talking Rodon is a forever disaster to me just based on the process of how you draft guys (Nola would have been fine as the next best college SP but I still would have been mad it wasn't Rodon at the time. Now I'd obviously be pretty happy). Total failure. Worse then not taking Smoak over Skipworth back in the day.
    Ill never forget watching the draft the year we took skipworth. I just remember begging for Posey to fall to us and then the giants took him i believe the pick before we got Skipworth. Talk about something that could have completely changed our entire franchise outlook.

- - - - - - - - - -

Side note: Isan Diaz is playing in some U23 baseball world cup and has hit 4 hr's in 7 games. So thats good to see.
    Last edited by fish16; 10-28-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      Ill never forget watching the draft the year we took skipworth. I just remember begging for Posey to fall to us and then the giants took him i believe the pick before we got Skipworth. Talk about something that could have completely changed our entire franchise outlook.
      He was definitely taken 1 pick before the Marlins. There was also a debate in that draft that there was a chance Buster could have slide to the Marlins, and would they have even opted to sign him because he wanted to get paid. Buster signed for $6.2 (more than Tim Beckham who went # 1 overall), Skipworth signed for $2.3. I guess it would have been worse if they passed on him for just the money.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
        He was definitely taken 1 pick before the Marlins. There was also a debate in that draft that there was a chance Buster could have slide to the Marlins, and would they have even opted to sign him because he wanted to get paid. Buster signed for $6.2 (more than Tim Beckham who went # 1 overall), Skipworth signed for $2.3. I guess it would have been worse if they passed on him for just the money.
        That would have been the most loria move ever. It absolutely blow my mind that a guy that cheap didnt ever realize that if his dumbass would spend the money on draft, IFA, and player development up front his team would have been better and even cheaper given that the holes in the organization that being cheap created ended up costing him millions on shitty free agents like Tazawa, Ziegler, Volquez, etc.

Comment

• On to the Realmuto trade. To me, the Dodgers have become an ideal trading partner. Verdugo and Lux? A CF and SS for the next five years? The 1 and 2 hitters in the Miami lineup? Others of interest: RHP Dustin May and C Ruiz. Each of the four would grade out as the Marlins' top prospect(s). Even Lux, Ruiz and LHP Ferguson would look good to me.
          Last edited by Lee Stone; 10-29-2018, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            Didnt see it posted yesterday but we outrighted Bryan Holaday, Miguel Del Pozo, and Drew Rucinski yesterday and rucinski opted for free agency. Thought we'd keep Holaday but I think it makes sense to open the 40 man spot for now, bring another similar player on a spring training invitation and then add whoever wins the backup C spot to the 40 man at the end of spring training next year.

I also never understood why we put Del Pozo on the 40 man to begin with. Still have several we can remove if we need the spots moving forward like Wallach, Galloway, Kinley, and Yadiel Rivera. Not sure how many spots we have open right now.

- - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - -

Side note: Isan Diaz is playing in some U23 baseball world cup and has hit 4 hr's in 7 games. So thats good to see.
            9 spots open but 7 or 8 guys ready to fill them already

For LOU-Frisaro mentioned that Guzman has to be protected!!!

- - - - - - - - - -

Marlins wanted
            Posey and got Skipworth
            Bryant and got Moran

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
            On to the Realmuto trade. To me, the Dodgers have become an ideal trading partner. Verdugo and Lux? A CF and SS for the next five years? The 1 and 2 hitters in the Miami lineup? Others of interest: RHP Dustin May and C Ruiz. Each of the four would grade out as the Marlins' top prospect(s). Even Lux, Ruiz and LHP Ferguson would look good to me.
            LAD would be ideal but they havent really been connected to JT(Few minor whispers). Miami would jump on a Verdugo/Lux/Ruiz and mid level pitcher in a second
            Last edited by tjfla; 10-29-2018, 07:51 AM.

Comment

• Given Grandal's free agency, Barnes' lack of hitting, and Realmuto's success hitting there, trading for Realmuto seems like the right move for LA right now. Per your suggestion, three of LA's top four prospects would seem a little unrealistic for an ask, but a couple of them would be nice. We obviously aren't getting Robles and C. Kieboom from the Nats, but Verdugo and Lux would be close.

Comment

• File this

***This is HIGHLY Unlikely*** but some talk that if Manny Machado only gets offers in 200 million range that Miami might try for him and Machado wouldn't mind being in Miami

Again its unlikely we get him but remember we will have around 50 million to spend in 2020(according to Jeter plan) and NO SS so maybe they try? Just something to keep an eye out for at the Winter Meetings.

JT is only thing they are working on right now. Expect a offer this week or next for him to decide on

- - - - - - - - - -

Given Grandal's free agency, Barnes' lack of hitting, and Realmuto's success hitting there, trading for Realmuto seems like the right move for LA right now. Per your suggestion, three of LA's top four prospects would seem a little unrealistic for an ask, but a couple of them would be nice. We obviously aren't getting Robles and C. Kieboom from the Nats, but Verdugo and Lux would be close.
                Wouldn't be surprised that if we trade JT that we sign Grandal to be the C

Ya its unrealistic but Miami FO is not a LAD fan and would play hardball. Pretty much like Washington-if they don't pay up then no trade. Hou/Ariz/Col/NYY are "favs" if JT is dealt

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  File this

***This is HIGHLY Unlikely*** but some talk that if Manny Machado only gets offers in 200 million range that Miami might try for him and Machado wouldn't mind being in Miami

Again its unlikely we get him but remember we will have around 50 million to spend in 2020(according to Jeter plan) and NO SS so maybe they try? Just something to keep an eye out for at the Winter Meetings.

JT is only thing they are working on right now. Expect a offer this week or next for him to decide on
                  What's to decide for JT? I can't come up with any reason he'd choose to spend his prime in Miami.

Machado. Hanley revisited in this regard: No hustle. I thought Ramirez got dumped because he refused to run hard to first base - at least that was my impression.

Comment

File this

- - - - - - - - - -

Ya its unrealistic but Miami FO is not a LAD fan and would play hardball. Pretty much like Washington-if they don't pay up then no trade. Hou/Ariz/Col/NYY are "favs" if JT is dealt
                    ???

- - - - - - - - - -

What's to decide for JT? I can't come up with any reason he'd choose to spend his prime in Miami.

Machado. Hanley revisited in this regard: No hustle. I thought Ramirez got dumped because he refused to run hard to first base - at least that was my impression.
                    We traded Hanley for the same reason we traded anybody on the Active Roster for the past 18 years. Cutting costs.

Comment

File this

- - - - - - - - - -

I can't imagine that an offer from any of those four teams could touch a Dodger offer of multiple 55 grade prospects.

Grandal to Miami?? He's going to make $10M a year ... so not a chance.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                      ???

- - - - - - - - - -

We traded Hanley for the same reason we traded anybody on the Active Roster for the past 18 years. Cutting costs.
                      Hanley's lack of effort became downright embarrassing.
                      Last edited by Lee Stone; 10-29-2018, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• okk

Comment

For LOU-Frisaro mentioned that Guzman has to be protected!!!
                          Thanks. I have been confused on that one for awhile with international signing rules. I was 60/40 confident he needed to be protected but good to know.

I think this is the "keep everyone" 40 man right now (obviously a lot of guys can be dropped from this, I'm just saying):

SP - Urena, Chen, Straily, Alcantara, Richards, Lopez, Ca. Smith (7)

RHP - Brigham, M. Gonzalez, Graves, Guerrero, Guzman, E. Hernandez, Meyer, T. Kinley, Steckenrider, Wittgren, Yamamoto (11)

LHP - Conley, Garcia, Peters, Quijada (4)

C - Realmuto (1)

IF - Anderson, Castro, Cooper, Diaz, Dietrich, O’Brien, Prado, Riddle, Rivera, Rojas, Schales, Twine (12)

OF -Brinson, Dean, Harrison, Lee, Sierra (5)
                          =40

- - - - - - - - - -

The reason is easy for Realmuto, he is 2 years away from free agency, he plays a volatile position, he is coming off what might be the best season of his career, and he can lock in $80-100 million guaranteed tomorrow (over 5 years), or, get a $6 million arbitration tender for 2019. Then he can maybe max out around $10 million in 2020 and he's still in Miami. 2 years is a long time for a payday when the difference is around $16 million (with 2020 contingent) versus $80 guaranteed. He's presently made probably around $5-6 million in his career to date so the prospect of making that same amount in 2019, versus guaranteeing 15x that amount is definitely a very big reason.

If I were his agent, my strategy is to bluff the Marlins into trading Realmuto literally anywhere else in baseball, and it's a last week of spring training 5 year deal if not. There is no deadline for an extension and you can easily play the "change of heart" card. The Marlins wouldn't not sign the guy, he's objectively great. Use that time to your advantage. Try and force a trade, and take the deal if not.

That being said, I am fine either way. I like Realmuto on a realistic 5 year deal, or cashing him in for a big time SP and ideally a young C, SS, or 1B prospect who are MLB ready summer 2020 latest.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                            ???

- - - - - - - - - -

LAD tried to get Stanton on the cheap from us and pissed alot of people off in our FO. Then they tried to do they same thing with Yelich. Just saying they don't like them

- - - - - - - - - -

I can't imagine that an offer from any of those four teams could touch a Dodger offer of multiple 55 grade prospects.

Grandal to Miami?? He's going to make $10M a year ... so not a chance.

- - - - - - - - - -

Hanley's lack of effort became downright embarrassing.
                            They like from

Houston-Alvarez/Martin/Nova or even Tucker
                            Arizona-Duplantier/Varsho/Pavin Smith/Chisholm
                            Col-Rodgers/Lambert/Nevin/McMahon
                            NYY-Denbo has guys he likes

Agreed that LAD or Washington could offer the best deal but question is would they offer those guys? If LAD says Verdugo/Lux/Ruiz or Wash says Robles and Kieboom Brothers than they move to the TOP of JT sweepstakes

- - - - - - - - - -

Thanks. I have been confused on that one for awhile with international signing rules. I was 60/40 confident he needed to be protected but good to know.

I think this is the "keep everyone" 40 man right now (obviously a lot of guys can be dropped from this, I'm just saying):

SP - Urena, Chen, Straily, Alcantara, Richards, Lopez, Ca. Smith (7)

RHP - Brigham, M. Gonzalez, Graves, Guerrero, Guzman, E. Hernandez, Meyer, T. Kinley, Steckenrider, Wittgren, Yamamoto (11)

LHP - Conley, Garcia, Peters, Quijada (4)

C - Realmuto (1)

IF - Anderson, Castro, Cooper, Diaz, Dietrich, O’Brien, Prado, Riddle, Rivera, Rojas, Schales, Twine (12)

OF -Brinson, Dean, Harrison, Lee, Sierra (5)
                            =40

- - - - - - - - - -

The reason is easy for Realmuto, he is 2 years away from free agency, he plays a volatile position, he is coming off what might be the best season of his career, and he can lock in $80-100 million guaranteed tomorrow (over 5 years), or, get a $6 million arbitration tender for 2019. Then he can maybe max out around $10 million in 2020 and he's still in Miami. 2 years is a long time for a payday when the difference is around $16 million (with 2020 contingent) versus $80 guaranteed. He's presently made probably around $5-6 million in his career to date so the prospect of making that same amount in 2019, versus guaranteeing 15x that amount is definitely a very big reason.

If I were his agent, my strategy is to bluff the Marlins into trading Realmuto literally anywhere else in baseball, and it's a last week of spring training 5 year deal if not. There is no deadline for an extension and you can easily play the "change of heart" card. The Marlins wouldn't not sign the guy, he's objectively great. Use that time to your advantage. Try and force a trade, and take the deal if not.

That being said, I am fine either way. I like Realmuto on a realistic 5 year deal, or cashing him in for a big time SP and ideally a young C, SS, or 1B prospect who are MLB ready summer 2020 latest.
                            Gonna be 5 or 6 guys likely OFF that list(Rivera/DD/Lee/Straily).Not sure they put Twine on the 40 man. Expect them to take 1 or 2 Rule 5 Guys

Comment

They can trim upwards of $27 million off the roster moving Castro, Realmuto, Dietrich, and Straily.

You would use that to sign Machado, Rojas and Riddle are fine at 2B until Diaz is ready, turn Realmuto into a young # 2 SP, a young catcher (or 1B), and a young lefty RP, and Castro, Dietrich, and Straily into "Lee Stone A+ Relievers Of Notable Merit" for future depth.

2019 will still be rough because the pitching is young and weak, but in 2020, Prado comes off the books at least, no major arbitration cases (maybe Urena if they need to keep him and he'd still only make $5 mil or so), and they should have money to burn on a major SP and help at 1B.

I think we all would be pretty OK with this in 2020. There is hope and talent everywhere even if we all have skeptical eyes on the outfield in this scenario.

C - Young guy for JT
                              1B - ? and ?
                              2B - Diaz
                              SS - Machado, Riddle
                              3B - Anderson
                              LF - VVM
                              CF - Brinson, Sierra/Miller
                              RF - Monte

SP - ?
                              SP - # 2 for JT
                              SP - Presumably Neidert
                              SP - Presumably Alcantara
                              SP - Presumably one of Richards/Smith/Pablo works out

RHP - Steckenrider, Guzman, Wittgren, all the other Brigham/Merandy/Yamamoto/Gallen/SP Reject/Hernandez/Eveld guys
                              LHP - Conley, Garcia, Other Guy for JT/Peters/Quijada/Mills/etc.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              Gonna be 5 or 6 guys likely OFF that list(Rivera/DD/Lee/Straily).Not sure they put Twine on the 40 man. Expect them to take 1 or 2 Rule 5 Guys
                              I totally agree with you, I just am filling out a 40 man if they keep everyone and do nothing. At least a half dozen guys are moving off that list to bring in two 1B/OF types for next year, a new backup catcher (or two), Rule V picks, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                                They can trim upwards of $27 million off the roster moving Castro, Realmuto, Dietrich, and Straily.

You would use that to sign Machado, Rojas and Riddle are fine at 2B until Diaz is ready, turn Realmuto into a young # 2 SP, a young catcher (or 1B), and a young lefty RP, and Castro, Dietrich, and Straily into "Lee Stone A+ Relievers Of Notable Merit" for future depth.

2019 will still be rough because the pitching is young and weak, but in 2020, Prado comes off the books at least, no major arbitration cases (maybe Urena if they need to keep him and he'd still only make $5 mil or so), and they should have money to burn on a major SP and help at 1B.

I think we all would be pretty OK with this in 2020. There is hope and talent everywhere even if we all have skeptical eyes on the outfield in this scenario.

C - Young guy for JT
                                1B - ? and ?
                                2B - Diaz
                                SS - Machado, Riddle
                                3B - Anderson
                                LF - VVM
                                CF - Brinson, Sierra/Miller
                                RF - Monte

SP - ?
                                SP - # 2 for JT
                                SP - Presumably Neidert
                                SP - Presumably Alcantara
                                SP - Presumably one of Richards/Smith/Pablo works out

RHP - Steckenrider, Guzman, Wittgren, all the other Brigham/Merandy/Yamamoto/Gallen/SP Reject/Hernandez/Eveld guys
                                LHP - Conley, Garcia, Other Guy for JT/Peters/Quijada/Mills/etc.

- - - - - - - - - -

I totally agree with you, I just am filling out a 40 man if they keep everyone and do nothing. At least a half dozen guys are moving off that list to bring in two 1B/OF types for next year, a new backup catcher (or two), Rule V picks, etc.
                                Right now they are dealing with JT then Machado. The Machado stuff seems to be 2 things-Does Machado want to be in a rebuild for 2 years AND would he be cool with 200-225 million? If he says YES to both then its a chance he is Miami's SS but its a BIG IF

Gotcha ya they are said to be looking at Rule 5 AND DFA hard this year. #4 Pick in Rule 5 AND #1 in NL Waiver Claims so alot of roster moves will be happening

Comment

Working...
                                X