Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Rule V write up, sorry if this posted elsewhere I missed it - https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-preview-v-10/

First pick seems easy to me (Marlins have 4th pick) - Martin or Wong are 1A and 1B to me, Gatewood DL stash is 3rd, and Diddler if all three of those guys go. Unfortunately, this article has Martin going with the first pick to the O's but who knows.

Wong seems really interesting. It looks like he can hit. If Diaz did this (with a little more power) we'd all be stoked. - https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...41&position=2B

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
      Epic Rule V write up, sorry if this posted elsewhere I missed it - https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-preview-v-10/

First pick seems easy to me (Marlins have 4th pick) - Martin or Wong are 1A and 1B to me, Gatewood DL stash is 3rd, and Diddler if all three of those guys go. Unfortunately, this article has Martin going with the first pick to the O's but who knows.

Wong seems really interesting. It looks like he can hit. If Diaz did this (with a little more power) we'd all be stoked. - https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...41&position=2B

Comment

Epic Rule V write up, sorry if this posted elsewhere I missed it - https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-preview-v-10/

Hard to go wong with Kean. He looks ready to go at 2B if the Marlins can send Castro off (maybe attach him to Realmuto in a Dodger trade?) LA allegedly looking at FA second basemen, so why not pay Castro's salary and up the return.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
          Hard to go wong with Kean. He looks ready to go at 2B if the Marlins can send Castro off (maybe attach him to Realmuto in a Dodger trade?) LA allegedly looking at FA second basemen, so why not pay Castro's salary and up the return.
          I have no problem with sending out Castro in a deal, but it's not because of a Rule V pick.

I still think you can extend Castro for 2 years (3 guaranteed) and give him a 4/$52ish deal. He's a good player and it's a good opportunity to try and leverage him for 2 more years. He could be seeing a production spike - see BB rate and hard hit rates - so it could be a buy low right now for his age 29-32 age seasons.

Comment

I have no problem with sending out Castro in a deal, but it's not because of a Rule V pick.

I still think you can extend Castro for 2 years (3 guaranteed) and give him a 4/$52ish deal. He's a good player and it's a good opportunity to try and leverage him for 2 more years. He could be seeing a production spike - see BB rate and hard hit rates - so it could be a buy low right now for his age 29-32 age seasons.
            The overall lack of interest in Castro (you know Miami has looked far and wide for a taker) scares me off on keeping him. The apparent absence of future ML position players in Miami's system makes me lean in another direction. Why not dig deeply into the Dodger farm and go after about five of their prospects in the 11-30 range? They have so many international guys that they paid millions to sign and have proven they can hit in the A+ and AA levels. Omar Estevez stands out as an example.
            Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-13-2018, 09:22 AM.

Comment

The overall lack of interest in Castro (you know Miami has looked far and wide for a taker) scares me off on keeping him. The apparent absence of future ML position players in Miami's system makes me lean in another direction. Why not dig deeply into the Dodger farm and go after about five of their prospects in the 11-30 range? They have so many international guys that they paid millions to sign and have proven they can hit in the A+ and AA levels. Omar Estevez stands out as an example.
              If you look across baseball, 2B depth is pretty solid right now. LeMahieu is going to get a contract that all of us think "good deal." Neil Walker got nothing last year. I think it's an opportunity cost where he isn't someone you need to strive for and go after.

Just saying, everyone can be an opportunity. Castro can see a bad 2B landscape for FA next year (Miami or a new team can get rid of him, guys like Kipnis will be available, etc.), or he can get $30-40 million more guaranteed even if it is theoretically lower than what a good FA deal pays. 80% of guaranteed money now might be worth it to him for a cushy guaranteed starting job.

Personally, ages 29-32, with a spiking BB/hard hit rate, always highly considered around baseball even with his dip in 2 of the last 4 years, and a club friendly contract paying him say $13 million a year, that's a risk/reward I can live with for the reasons you stated. If he wants more? Thanks but no thanks.

If they can get solid value for him, by all means shoot him out, but he's really the only guy on the team I would extend right now (ignoring Realmuto).

Comment

• i really like taking the chance on 2b max schrocks bat. he had a bad year last year but every other year before that has been really good and STL has a really good history of developing bats like him.

- - - - - - - - - -

but given his injury id actually be more likely to take gatewood. seems like the best fit of potential, need, and ability to keep him without it being painfully obvious we're just trying to hide him for the year.

- - - - - - - - - -

ockimey also would be a good guy to try to throw in a platoon at 1b with peter o brien or something maybe with cooper as well.

Comment

• Given the contract Eovaldi just signed, Jose Urena stands out as the next Marlin with real trade value. If you compare his career with Eovaldi's (very similar results - even this past season) he is a true bargain for a team that is looking for cheap SP option with no injury history. Hello, D-backs, can a package with Urena get us Jazz Chisholm?? Note: I like Chisholm a lot more than Rosario - but that's a personal opinion, of course.

Comment

Given the contract Eovaldi just signed, Jose Urena stands out as the next Marlin with real trade value. If you compare his career with Eovaldi's (very similar results - even this past season) he is a true bargain for a team that is looking for cheap SP option with no injury history. Hello, D-backs, can a package with Urena get us Jazz Chisholm?? Note: I like Chisholm a lot more than Rosario - but that's a personal opinion, of course.
                    That's why you keep him and let him "break out." And then you buy him out next year (when he is still 2 years from free agency, with presumably not big arbitration numbers coming), or unload him. He is a potential ascending asset for sure. He's a hard hold unless overwhelmed.

D-Backs are also sellers. They are going into a rebuild. They just traded one of the best players in baseball man.

Comment

• I’d like them to leave with Gatewood and Raynel espinal in the rule v.
                      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• The Mets signed Familia last night. Does this change anything with the Realmuto trade possibility ? It wasn't for huge money but even at that does that change anything ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                          The Mets signed Familia last night. Does this change anything with the Realmuto trade possibility ? It wasn't for huge money but even at that does that change anything ?
                          Can't imagine Familia signing reflects on Realmuto trade potential. Unless Marlins back off from insisting on Rosario and Nimmo, it appears that a trade with Mets is dead on its own merit.

Comment

• https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...967&position=P

Riley Ferrell taken in rule v

- - - - - - - - - -

That’s it. Passed in 2nd round.
                            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Ferrell will be in our bullpen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                                https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...967&position=P

Riley Ferrell taken in rule v

- - - - - - - - - -

That’s it. Passed in 2nd round.
                                Where is the list?

Also, the team definitely needs more fringe RHP relievers.

Comment

Working...
                                X