This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
    That makes sense. Because he's a proven MLB player, you could more easily flip him for prospects at a position of need, rather than another prospect. That's different than feeling like you need to flip him because he plays a crowded position.
    That and the fact that you might like some prospects from say, the indians system but you dont have what it takes to get him currently in the organization. Flipping nimmo allows them to get prospects they like from multiple organizations in a JT package if they dont like the package from the mets individually. Say you really want Rosario but the rest of the package isnt to your liking, if you can get nimmo and then flip him for more prospects you can get the best of both worlds- the top long term SS prospect that you desire as well as other prospects that you might like but can't get from one organization.

I do think the crowded position thing is a factor though, just more so for 2020 than this year. We actually need an OF or 2 added for this year (at least the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the year) but id prefer if we just sign a guy and put him there for a year through free agency.

Comment

• Am I the only one in favor of keeping Nimmo if we acquire him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
        Am I the only one in favor of keeping Nimmo if we acquire him?
        I like him enough as a player but i dont think his ceiling is nearly as high as last year would suggest. I probably would try to find another offer outside of the mets offer if we couldnt find a team to flip him for. I like conforto much more as a player but the problem with him is only 3 years of team control left. I would trade nimmo not only because we have OF depth but also because he probably has a bit of value on the market and can really help us maximize a return for JT. Say we get Nimmo, Rosario, and alonso and then flip Nimmo for Mckenzie and Bobby Bradley/Cheng in Cleveland (just throwing an example out there). thats a pretty damn great return for JT.

Comment

• We have severely jumped the gun in talking Nimmo, Rosario and more for Realmuto. Every report I have read suggests Nimmo, Conforto OR Rosario as headliner. No published report has suggested that more than one of those three would be made available. When you think about it instead of fantasize about it, why would the Mets give up two key parts of the team core, both with lots of control, for 2 years of Realmuto? It would make no sense. I think the Mets are probably out of the picture unless it's Rosario+Alonso or Nimmo+Giminez, that type of thing.
          Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-06-2018, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            Yelich is a fair criticism but that deal is still early and we should get 3 long term full time starting lineup pieces out of it which is exactly what they were trying to do in a system that was completely bereft of talent due to loria, albeit they probably rushed last offseason rather than waiting another year and doing it this year but Yelich was also being a pain in the ass in the clubhouse and they probably just wanted a clean break from that group of players. And then you have JT who we are going to get a big return for in the next week.
            The part I bolded is very optimistic. Lewis Brinson was not even close to being a quality major leaguer last year and is about to turn 25. (Only 2 years younger than Yelich) Monte Harrison struck out more than anyone in the entire world last year. And Isan Diaz looks like he could be Derek Dietrich if everything works out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
              We have severely jumped the gun in talking Nimmo, Rosario and more for Realmuto. Every report I have read suggests Nimmo, Conforto OR Rosario as headliner. No published report has suggested that more than one of those three would be made available. When you think about it instead of fantasize about it, why would the Mets give up two key parts of the team core, both with lots of control, for 2 years of Realmuto? It would make no sense. I think the Mets are probably out of the picture unless it's Rosario+Alonso or Nimmo+Giminez, that type of thing.
              Well, I mean, the Mets are trying to win now and Realmuto is the best catcher in baseball. Better question is, why should the Marlins settle for less than they want, especially considering the Mets are in the division and half the league is interested in Realmuto?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
              The part I bolded is very optimistic. Lewis Brinson was not even close to being a quality major leaguer last year and is about to turn 25. (Only 2 years younger than Yelich) Monte Harrison struck out more than anyone in the entire world last year. And Isan Diaz looks like he could be Derek Dietrich if everything works out.

This. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle, but the point is it’s all a very big question mark right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                fair enough and by no means am i saying any of them are sure things. Their futures are firmly up in the air obviously. I think Brinson will be fine long term, i think the way they handled him this year was about as terrible as they could have handled him in terms of starting the year at the major league level at all and then compounding the error by hitting him 8th after he struggled in a year where we werent trying to compete rather than just sending him down. Another offseason of adjustment and he will be just fine to me. Just hopefully they stick with him and actually put him in positions to succeed a lot more than they did last year. Harrison will eventually cut down on the k's and settle into a role as that prototypical #5 hitter RF with power and a big arm in the OF. A cut in k's for him to even just a lot rather than the ridiculous pace he was on will be huge, and his pure power to me gives him the ability to be a force in the lineup for a long time even despite a high k rate. The k's are obviously worrying but his pure power will shine regardless of the k's, he will obviously just be significantly more productive if he can lower the k rate even just a little bit. The ball comes off his bat the way it does for a lot of guys we've seen over the year like Stanton and Ryan Howard in their prime. Can't teach that kind of pure power and athleticism that Monte has.

Diaz is the guy who worries me the least. I think your Dietrich comparison is pretty low end. That seems closer to his floor to me. He reminds me a lot of Jason Kipnis. Steady lefty presence at 2b who will walk a lot, k a decent amount, and give you good left handed power from a position that is traditionally not full of power (although that has certainly changed in the last 10 years or so).

While is sucks to lose Yelich and it obviously appears they should have waited and let him breath for a year instead of making a rash decision to trade him along with the 3 obvious guys who should have been traded last offseason (Dee, Ozuna, Stanton), IF, and that is a big IF before anyone calls me a kool aid drinker, IF they get 3 long term lineup pieces out of it it wasnt nearly as bad as everyone loves to make it out to be just because it sucks to lose yelich. My overall point being the shitting on this trade is fine as it relates to last year, but the overall result of the trade still can be somewhat positive for us and is by no means settled as of yet.
                Last edited by fish16; 12-06-2018, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• My evaluation of Yelich trade is that we got a solid relief pitcher in Yamamoto.

Comment

My evaluation of Yelich trade is that we got a solid relief pitcher in Yamamoto.
                    and with your history, who can critique your ability to evaluate talent?

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                      and with your history, who can critique your ability to evaluate talent?
                      You can, apparently.

Comment

You can, apparently.
                        fair enough. its pretty ridiculous to write off Brinson, Harrison, and Diaz already. Don't want to get into it because we've done it before and know the arguments, but its absurd.

Comment

You can, apparently.
                          While Lee is wrong on substance, this is Lee's best burn

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                            While Lee is wrong on substance, this is Lee's best burn
                            ya that was a pretty great response.

Comment

We have severely jumped the gun in talking Nimmo, Rosario and more for Realmuto. Every report I have read suggests Nimmo, Conforto OR Rosario as headliner. No published report has suggested that more than one of those three would be made available. When you think about it instead of fantasize about it, why would the Mets give up two key parts of the team core, both with lots of control, for 2 years of Realmuto? It would make no sense. I think the Mets are probably out of the picture unless it's Rosario+Alonso or Nimmo+Giminez, that type of thing.
                              Well that works?

Nimmo/Conforto, Gimenez, Alonso/Petersen, and Nido works, and I think there are secondary moving pieces of the Marlins kicking in a RP, or Rojas, and/or taking back Lagares/D'Arnaud to make it money neutral, etc.

But the core deal, if only one of Nimmo, Conforto, and Rosario are available - COOL. Get an OF and Gimenez, and build it out from there.

Comment

• Idk if i would do any deal that doesnt include at least one of those OF AND Rosario. Giminez seems like a good enough prospect but by all accounts he doesnt appear to be at the rosario level, even after rosario didnt light it up in his first year. I think there is a package that makes sense for both sides somewhere, but it seems like its a lot harder to find with the mets than it is with the braves and the astros. Unfortunately the mets also seem to be the team most willing to make the big splash an get JT for a good package.

Comment

Working...
                                X