No announcement yet.

2013 Trade Deadline Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree with what you're saynig, "Erick." My first choice is to keep Stanton and sign him long-term. However, the free agent market isn't that great (for what we need/afford) and I just don't know if Dietrich is going to pan out. I really think we need a longterm second baseman and catcher. Beyond that we are really set, right?
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• I wouldn't mind going after Brian McCann and even overpaying a bit to get him. Considering the state of the franchise, I think it makes sense.

With that said, they don't necessarily have to sign guys to improve. They can always make trades, too. At the end of the day, the offense just isn't good at all and it's not just those two positions (although you can live with Marisnick/Ozuna hopefully improving their offense in CF and Hechavarria at SS if you get a couple of proven bats to offset some of the struggles they're going to have).

Just my opinion, anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        Even tho reports said that Pitt did not make an offer for Stanton,they did and that was the deal that had many in the FO wanting to trade him before the deadline. Yes even some of Loria's Yes men wanted to bring him the offer,it was that good.

The deal was Jameson Taillon,Alen Hanson,Josh Bell,and another prospect or 2for Stanton and a RP

Loria made the decision tho last week that he is not trading Stanton right now and will not even discuss it until the offseason.

They did however make the offer and watch for Stanton to Pitt IF they can't work out an extension in the off season.

Texas also made another offer however the Pitt one was the one that had many stunned in the FO
        I think it'd take Taillon, Hanson, Reese McGuire, and Gregory Polanco for me to be interested in dealing Stanton to the Pirates.

Comment

• McGuire would have to be a PTBNL if it were the off-season.

Comment

• If Austin Barnes moves up to Jacksonville and gets some of his pop back while keeping his good OBP ability, that might be an answer there as well.
            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
            Noah Perio
            Jupiter
            39 AB
            15 H
            0 2B
            0 3B
            0 HR
            0 BB
            .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
              I don't really understand the direction of the franchise.
              I think this sums up how everyone feels. Including the front office.

I think in Loria's eyes, guys are under club control (including all the relievers you are pissed they didn't trade with the exception of Qualls) so it doesn't matter if he trades them now or later because if someone wants them, someone will pay for them whenever. Of course, that is idiotic as it ignores playoff races and/or the financial reality of a players service time (being that, Stanton is more valuable to negotiate a deal with right now before he files for arbitration and that money becomes guaranteed), but hey. It just is what it is with this clown running the franchise.

Just baffles me. If they did this, I bet there would be a season ticket spike in September. Of course along with a real PR campaign that Loria agrees to be 99% "hands off," let Beinfest run the team, Redmond can choose his staff, and salary will raise in future seasons. People really want to like the Marlins. Just give them a fucking reason to root for them. Develop your business!

Stanton - 6/$85, Full no trade 4 years, 15 team no trade final 2
              Fernandez - 6/$30, 5 team no trade
              Cishek - 3/$15, option $8 buyout $1, second option $10, buyout $2 (3/$16, 4/$25, 5/$33)
              Morrison - 3/$12, option $8 buyout $1, second option $10, buyout $2 (3/$13, 4/$22, 5/$30)

They would all take that in a heartbeat and all of that saves the Marlins a ton. And then in the off season, sign 1 significant free agent on a 3 year deal (I would say McCann or a SP if that is possible, probably $35-40 million range), keep Dunn, Webb, and Ruggiano on their arbitration tenders, and stopgap the infield with 1 year real veterans and not Polanco at 2B and 3B. Payroll is still bottom 5.

It's just hilarious. They are in such good shape right now if they would just act like Oakland or Tampa. I am completely reserved to the reality though that they are getting 4 guys for Stanton this winter and Loria is keeping the books clean for when someone gives him his asking price for the team.

Comment

• Loria would rather pay them less and have much less leverage in a buyout than buying them out and paying a little more now. And it has rarely worked. They wait too long and if they dont get it done, he has a convenient excuse to trade them by claiming they priced themselves out of the Marlins price range. The Rays, Nationals, etc. know how to do this. Loria could, I just dont think he favors any scenario where he has to pay more even if its the smartest thing in the world to do.
                Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                Noah Perio
                Jupiter
                39 AB
                15 H
                0 2B
                0 3B
                0 HR
                0 BB
                .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Nope. He is just keeping the books clean and going to sell when he can get the price he wants. Fuck the fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                    I agree with what you're saynig, "Erick." My first choice is to keep Stanton and sign him long-term. However, the free agent market isn't that great (for what we need/afford) and I just don't know if Dietrich is going to pan out. I really think we need a longterm second baseman and catcher. Beyond that we are really set, right?
                    If Dietrich isn't the answer at 2B, Hech shouldn't be a longterm answer at SS.

Comment

• I would say both are probably still questions at this point.
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

• What about Solano at 2B?

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                          I think in Loria's eyes, guys are under club control (including all the relievers you are pissed they didn't trade with the exception of Qualls) so it doesn't matter if he trades them now or later because if someone wants them, someone will pay for them whenever. Of course, that is idiotic as it ignores playoff races and/or the financial reality of a players service time (being that, Stanton is more valuable to negotiate a deal with right now before he files for arbitration and that money becomes guaranteed), but hey. It just is what it is with this clown running the franchise.
                          I totally agree. I don't think that Pittsburgh deal will be on the table come the off season. The Pirates GM said that he made deals that made him "uncomfortable". The only reason he was considering doing "something crazy" like that was because he was trying to add a right fielder to compliment the team. At the end of the season, the Pirates are not going to be in desperation mode so I don't expect that offer of Taillon and Hanson and others to still be on the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                            If Dietrich isn't the answer at 2B, Hech shouldn't be a longterm answer at SS.
                            But Hech at least provides amazing defense. Dietrich is just average to bad on both ends.

Comment

• I dont think the trade was anything to be blown away by anyway. In fact, it was kind of light.
                              Noah Perio
                              Jupiter
                              39 AB
                              15 H
                              0 2B
                              0 3B
                              0 HR
                              0 BB
                              .385/.385/.385

Comment

• I can live with Hech hitting .240 if he provides amazing defense like has been. At least he's bringing something to the table. It would be different if he was average or subpar with his glove.

Comment

Working...
                                X