No announcement yet.

2013 Trade Deadline Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cole and Taillon would be pretty sick but I still wouldn't do it.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• According to the team source, the Marlins plan on offering Stanton a contract extension of 8-years worth approximately $140 million after the season. If Stanton declines the deal, the Marlins will then try to trade Stanton.
      That'll be interesting

Comment

• Well I didn't hear anything about that deal. The deal I kept hearing was Taillon,Hanson,Bell,Comp Pick,plus 1 or 2 more Top/Good prospects for Stanton and a RP(not Cishek). Prolly could have talked them into Polanco instead of Bell tho easily

In fact I heard they would not deal Cole or Marte in any deal but who knows. The part about them talking it to Loria is true tho and he said he is not dealing him but will revisit it in the offseason.

If that was the offer that was made tho,no chance that Texas,Boston or Seattle even comes close to that.
        Last edited by tjfla; 08-05-2013, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Fernandez
          Cole
          Turner
          Taillon
          Heaney

Comment

• The Pirates offered the Marlins rookie pitcher Gerrit Cole, outfielder Starling Marte, and prospects James Taillon and Stetson Allie for Stanton, Steve Cishek, and Justin Ruggiano.
            I take that instantly. Fernandez, Cole, Heaney, Taillon, and Turner would be outrageous and the team would have Eovaldi and Alvarez to trade for infielders.
            --------------------
            According to the team source, the Marlins plan on offering Stanton a contract extension of 8-years worth approximately $140 million after the season. If Stanton declines the deal, the Marlins will then try to trade Stanton.
            That is a little heavy, but maybe that's the premium price you have to pay someone to stay here.

Would have been pretty smart to give him 7/$90 before this season. Of course that proposed deal above would include two additional free agent years so we can't just say they blew $50 million, but certainly they missed an opportunity for a more club friendly "Cargo" comp contract. Loria is really good at this.
            Last edited by lou; 08-05-2013, 01:15 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
              This is news of the trade offer the Pirates made last week to the Marlins I learned from a source yesterday. I am not going to make up rumors or sources ever, as that's not how I want to run Marlin Maniac. You can probably verify from emkay and miamarlin21 that I am not going to post anything fraudulent.

http://marlinmaniac.com/2013/08/05/m...carlo-stanton/
              Holy shit if that's true. I think I'd do that.

Comment

• I still think I wouldn't.

I think a team probably needs one star offensive player to build around. I don't think any of Yelich, Marisnick, Ozuna or Marte turns into that. And I don't think any of their infielders do either. And I don't think Eovaldi and Alvarez net a star either.
                poop

Comment

• This sounds like the whole Hanley Ramirez situation all-over again. The front office was ready to deal Ramirez at different points, but Loria always put his foot down. Hopefully Stanton's career with the Fish doesn't end in similar fashion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                    I still think I wouldn't.

I think a team probably needs one star offensive player to build around. I don't think any of Yelich, Marisnick, Ozuna or Marte turns into that. And I don't think any of their infielders do either. And I don't think Eovaldi and Alvarez net a star either.
                    The question is do you think Stanton will be that star himself? I think there's a good chance, but he still has considerable flaws in his swing which leads to periods where he disappears, and there's also the injury issue.

I would argue that neither of our championship teams had a dominant offensive player.

(Honestly I agree with Bobo, but just playing Devil's Advocate)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                      I still think I wouldn't.

Mathis.
                      --------------------
                      In all seriousness though, I don't think you need a star. Is there any particular reason you feel like a club needs an offensive star to build around?
                      Last edited by Mainge; 08-05-2013, 01:37 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                        The question is do you think Stanton will be that star himself? I think there's a good chance, but he still has considerable flaws in his swing which leads to periods where he disappears, and there's also the injury issue.

I would argue that neither of our championship teams had a dominant offensive player.
                        Injuries aside, he's already been that guy over the last few years.

He's also cut down K's and upped his walk rate this season. His power is down a bit, but I think it's fair to say that was mostly just the early season slump.

He's hitting .253/.373/.500 since returning from the DL.
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                        In all seriousness though, I don't think you need a star. Is there any particular reason you feel like a club needs an offensive star to build around?
                        Getting more of your production from one or two spots in the lineup raises your margin for error with the rest of the lineup.

To build an average or better offense, you basically have to hit on eight spots with average or better hitters if you don't have a star. That seems unlikely to me. Especially if you've already got that star on hand.
                        Last edited by Bobbob1313; 08-05-2013, 01:41 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                        poop

Comment

• That makes sense but I think I'd still rather have those arms. Assuming Stanton is traded no matter what.

i don't think we'll get a package better than that, unless the Sox go all out and offer Bogearts/JBJ/Owens, or something.
                          --------------------
                          Although, again, if that source is true and an 8/140 offer is on it's way, I don't see how he turns that down.
                          Last edited by Mainge; 08-05-2013, 01:48 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I'd rather keep Stanton, but I'll also admit there's at least some part of me that isn't wholly rational about that. Even if trading him for that package might be a better baseball move, I want the team to actually re-invest that money.
                            poop

Comment

• If Stanton resigns, I have no problem with the Fish turning such a deal down, but if he doesn't, good chance the Pirates will offer something similar if they wanted him that badly the first time.

Comment

• Signing Stanton long-term would definitely be a step in the right direction, but how many times have we seen them sign a player to a long-term contract, just to deal them away after a year or two? (Hint: almost every time)

They'd probably backload the fuck out of it, like they always do, then trade him when he's due the big bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X