2009 Marlins Trade Deadline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by m26555 View Post
    TWO of Maybin/Morrison/Stanton/Coghlan? Sounds like overkill.
    Dude . . . read that one again: "but NOT West and 2 of Maybin/Morrison/Stanton/Coghlan."

Comment

• Originally posted by The Hanram View Post
      Hanley had fallen in their organization somewhat. He had some "behavioral" issues and his minor league stats never really matched up to his talent. Of course, we all know that he was just coasting in the minors and it worked out well for us.
      Cool
      "I just want them to keep bringing guys on and I'm going to strip them of their health. I bring pain, a lot of pain." Mike Tyson

Comment

• Originally posted by REGular View Post
        Dude . . . read that one again: "but NOT West and 2 of Maybin/Morrison/Stanton/Coghlan."
        Ahhh. Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
          George Sherill traded to Dodgers, that could take them out of Halladay sweepstakes
          They got what they wanted tho for him a young 2B/3B. We were out of the Sherrill talk when they would not come off of Chris Coghlan

It will probably end up Bell or Dewitt plus a prospect or 2

Comment

• What were Sherill's numbers?
            "I just want them to keep bringing guys on and I'm going to strip them of their health. I bring pain, a lot of pain." Mike Tyson

Comment

TWO of Maybin/Morrison/Stanton/Coghlan? Sounds like overkill. If the Dodgers are out of it (likely because they reportedly acquired Sherrill) and Boston is now turning its attention to Washburn because he's much cheaper, I don't see why we'd have to trade THAT much if Toronto really wants to deal Halladay.
              I don't see how Stanton/Morrison, West, Coghlan, and Tucker is overkill for Halladay. We should be running to do that, assuming Loria will pay the salary. We can replace West by 2011, we have a billion RP, we have Bonifacio (lame I know but still), and we lose one of the big three hitting prospects, but still have Gaby/Cousins to hopefully be decent behind them.

Who cares? Then just find a body that can OPS .750 for 3B and win the wild card with Halladay, JJ, Nolasco, and Volstad killing people the rest of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Virtuoso View Post
                What were Sherill's numbers?
                shitty agiand rhp but a good loogy and thank god we didn't get them
                --------------------
                also apperently tj's rumors spread to mb and now people are argueing over their validity

who's who?!?
                Last edited by nny; 07-30-2009, 02:21 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Weren't we VERY interested in him last year?

Comment

• yes
                    --------------------
                    for sherrill I mean I assume that's wh you mean
                    Last edited by nny; 07-30-2009, 02:21 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• 2:19pm: SI's Jon Heyman says that in their initial conversation, the Mariners requested Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes for Washburn. That pair and other top Yankees prospects figure to be off limits, but Heyman still sees New York as the favorite.
                      MLBTRADERUMORS.com

Boston?

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                        I don't see how Stanton/Morrison, West, Coghlan, and Tucker is overkill for Halladay. We should be running to do that, assuming Loria will pay the salary. We can replace West by 2011, we have a billion RP, we have Bonifacio (lame I know but still), and we lose one of the big three hitting prospects, but still have Gaby/Cousins to hopefully be decent behind them.

Who cares? Then just find a body that can OPS .750 for 3B and win the wild card with Halladay, JJ, Nolasco, and Volstad killing people the rest of the year.
                        I am a HUGE proponent of the "win now" mentality, but I don't know; two of Stanton/Morrison/Maybin/Coghlan just seems like a lot to me. I guess you're right, though. I just don't see why we would have to give up that much when it looks like everyone else is dropping out of the Halladay sweepstakes (assuming that the Jays DEFINITELY deal Halladay before the deadline).

Comment

• At no point did the Jays ever make it appear that they have a real need to deal Halladay. It has never been a must that they deal him before the deadline and would take what they could get. They said they gon listen to offers and apparently want quite a bit for him.

Comment

• The interesting consideration is the new stadium. If we trade for Halladay and give up some future, it doesn't have to fit in with the whole 'win now, lose later' mantra. Assuming we add on payroll in three years, I don't see why we can't start trading and signing quality players rather than being forced to raise them from the farm. In that case, losing a Morrisson or Stanton should not hurt us as much in the long run compared to our current low-payroll mentality
                            Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

I am a HUGE proponent of the "win now" mentality, but I don't know; two of Stanton/Morrison/Maybin/Coghlan just seems like a lot to me. I guess you're right, though. I just don't see why we would have to give up that much when it looks like everyone else is dropping out of the Halladay sweepstakes (assuming that the Jays DEFINITELY deal Halladay before the deadline).
                              Sure, it's a lot. But it's not organizationally crippling.

Plus, there is ALWAYS the option of trading Halladay after the year and it's not like you don't recoup 90 cents on the dollar in a worst case scenario if you do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
                                At no point did the Jays ever make it appear that they have a real need to deal Halladay. It has never been a must that they deal him before the deadline and would take what they could get. They said they gon listen to offers and apparently want quite a bit for him.
                                That is the problem. They don't need to deal him. He will be as valuable next year as this year. Its not like he is eligible for arbitration or needs a new deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X