No announcement yet.

2009 Marlins Trade Deadline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would absolutely go for broke on Halladay.

I would guardedly go for broke on Gonzalez (meaning, I'd trade Logan, but not Stanton).

Comment

• I mean, Gonzalez's contract really is almost too good to be true for us. Signed through 2010 cheaply with a club option for 2011? Then the stadium opens the next year? Brilliant!
      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
      - Daft

Comment

• Yeah but before we fall all over ourselves for Gonzo I think acquiring him has to make sense for us too.

Does he make us better for the remainder of the year? Hell yes, but the 2010 and 2011 outlook is kind of muddled for me. We put a lot of organizational effort into developing Logan, albeit as a draft-and-follow, and he's on the cusp of what most here would have you believe to be inevitable super-stardom. I'd trade Logan because you need to give to get and Logan and Gonzalez can't be on the same 25 man roster and have it be an effective use of resources, but even then considering we'd have to give up Logan + at least 2 other good players for Gonzalez, is that really the best idea for us?

I'm absolutely adamantly opposed to trading Stanton for Gonzalez, and I'm guardedly in favor of this move, but at what point do you have to say a team on a budget like ours has to develop their elite 1B rather than pay a competitive price for him?

And, just in a delicious re-imagining '03 twist of irony, it'd be fitting if we traded Maybin and Miller for Gonzalez, since several media outlets thought we'd be better served hanging onto Adrian and using Cabrera as our main chip.

Comment

• I think the fun 03 twist would be shipping off Morrison for a reliever, anybody else?

Comment

• Hey I see what you did there.

The new Gonzo doesn't get to play for us just like the old Gonzo. Haaaaaa

Comment

• he Marlins were casting a wide net in advance of Friday's nonwaiver trade deadline, targeting a spectrum of players, but hadn't worked out any deals as of Thursday night.

Players the Marlins have expressed interest in to varying degree include San Diego Padres closer Heath Bell, Washington Nationals first baseman Nick Johnson and Toronto Blue Jays ace Roy Halladay.

But team president David Samson, appearing on 790 The Ticket, held out the possibility that the Marlins could do nothing in the way of trades before Friday's 4 p.m. deadline. Samson also said the phones were mostly quiet Thursday.

``I don't think people want to deal with us anymore,'' Samson said on the show. ``We have a low payroll, we win games, and I think people are afraid of getting burned maybe.''

Samson said the Marlins contacted Toronto about Halladay but quickly backed away when the Blue Jays demanded ``two left legs, a right arm and a left cerebellum.''

The Marlins might have a better chance of landing Bell, who has 25 saves and a 2.01 ERA for the Padres. According to media reports, though, the Padres are asking for one of the Marlins' young starters, either Sean West or Andrew Miller, to be included in any package.

``I think our team feels it can [succeed] as is,'' Samson said. ``We'd like to bring in reinforcements. But we don't want to be one of those teams that causes themselves to not win 81 games by making foolish deals.''

Samson said most of the interest from other clubs has centered on minor-league prospects Mike Stanton and Logan Morrison, but the team has indicated in the past that it has no intention of trading either.
              http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ba...y/1165024.html

Comment

• Jayson Stark and Buster Olney of ESPN.com report that the Yankees inquired about Bannister, but talks didn't develop because the Yankees asked the Royals to pay the $650k that remains on Bannister's 2009 contract. Since when does $650k stop the Yanks from making a deal? As Stark and Olney say, welcome to the wacky world of baseball 2009.
                Why not us? Send them a Chris Seddon or two and put Bannister in at the 5.

Comment

• Ehe every team will accept Chris Seddons for their starting players!!!

Comment

• What would it take to make the Florida Marlins happy come the 4 p.m. non-waiver trading deadline? Booking Nick Johnson on a flight to South Florida.

The Washington Nationals’ first baseman, Johnson is the Marlins’ biggest target as the clock winds down, a source that has spoken with the club confirmed this morning. The Marlins hope to land Johnson and his gaudy .408 on-base percentage, and plug him in the two spot in front of Hanley Ramirez.

It seems like an ideal fit on some levels and raises questions on others. For starters, adding Johnson, who turns 31 in September, works financially. He is earning $5.5 million in the final season of a three-year deal and will be eligible for free agency after 2009. If the Nationals don’t pick up any of the remaining money, the Marlins would responsible for the remaining $1.95 million.

Johnson would give the Marlins the consistent on-base presence they haven’t gotten from Emilio Bonifacio, who for most of the season has hovered around .290 to .305.

Here’s where adding Johnson potentially creates a disturbance. The only place Johnson can play is first, which means uprooting Jorge Cantu from one corner of the diamond to the other. Cantu has worked himself in a decent defensive first baseman. He’s plenty familiar with third having spent considerable time there in 2008, and he improved as the season went on. He also experienced some arm tenderness from the throwing rigors of the position. Cantu, who came up as a second baseman, might have to deal with similar issues since as a first baseman seldom does he have occasion to air out throws.

With Cantu at third, what happens to Bonifacio? He would take on more of an Alfredo Amezaga role, getting spot starts around the infield in addition to left.

It might be Johnson or bust for the Marlins. They were in on closer George Sherrill before the Orioles dealt him to the Dodgers. They’d love to add Heath Bell, but the Padres asked for Cameron Maybin AND Andrew Miller. Unless the price comes down the Marlins are out.

Though former Marlins top overall draft pick Adrian Gonzalez has been mostly linked to the Red Sox, the Marlins called on him as well. No doubt the price in prospects would be prohibitive.

From a starting pitching standpoint, the Marlins did indeed contact the Blue Jays about Roy Halladay as ESPN’s Jayson Stark reported, but the conversations went nowhere as soon as Toronto said no deal unless Michael Stanton heads north.

Kansas City rejected the Marlins’ overtures about Brian Bannister, leaving former Marlin Carl Pavano as possibly their best alternative.
                    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...ano-redux.html

Best news is that Johnson would displace Bonifacio in the 2 hole.

Also, lol @ Maybin and Miller for Bell.

Comment

• And we countered with Orly? Add A-Gon then

Comment

• Marlins have at least tried, I don't blame them if we come up empty. They've been active, but teams are asking for WAYYY too much

Comment

• On sportscenter, Gammons just said the Marlins are out of the running for Heath Bell. He's probably goingg to be an Angel.

Comment

• I think then we need to look for a starter than. Luis Ayala shouldn't be in our pen.

Comment

• Well, if we can nab Johnson, I'll be happy.

Comment

• FRIDAY, 9:22am: Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel says the Royals rejected overtures from the Marlins on Bannister. He wonders whether the next best thing for Florida might be to bring Carl Pavano back. We've heard surprisingly little about Pavano lately. He projects to fall short of Type B status, so there's no point in the Indians keeping him.
                                MLBtraderumors
                                --------------------
                                9:19am: Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel says the Padres wanted Cameron Maybin and Miller for Bell. The Fish have seen other trade ideas dry up as well, leading Rodriguez to suggest "it might be Nick Johnson or bust for the Marlins."
                                Also this.
                                Last edited by MiamiHomer; 07-31-2009, 09:29 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X