No announcement yet.

Hanley Ramirez 2010: Starting All-Star SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ll say this for Fredi Gonzalez — I haven’t been his biggest fan (I’m sort of lukewarm toward his work), but he earned more respect with his handling of this situation than with anything else he’s done as Marlins manager.
    I'll say this for Ethan Skolnick - I haven't been his biggest fan (I'm sort of lukewarm toward his work), but he earned more respect with that passage than with anything else he's done as a sportswriter at the Sun-Sentinel.

Comment

watching Hanley run after the ball with this music is much better

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaI0oUMd_Hw[/ame]

Comment

So what happens when Hanley doesn't apologize and he's back in the line up anyways?

Comment

Fredi loses all credibility in the clubhouse. Most likely be fired for losing the rest of the clubhouse, shortly after that.
          Originally posted by Matt Wilson
          Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
          Tom Koehler(4-0)
          AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Dan Uggla agrees with Florida Marlins manager, but says team still loves Hanley Ramirez

by Joe Capozzi

Hanley Ramirez could be seen high-fiving Cameron Maybin in the dugout after Maybin’s three-run home run today in Florida’s 8-0 win. But that’s as much action as Ramirez got.

As the media left the clubhouse and the Marlins prepared to fly to St. Louis, Ramirez still hasn’t apologized to his teammates. But Wes Helms and Dan Uggla each said they might try to talk to Ramirez one-on-one — perhaps on the team flight tonight or tomorrow.

“This thing is gonna play itself out,” Uggla said. “We all love Hanley. We all support what skipper did. This is a small obstacle we’re going to get past and we’re going to move forward.”

That’s a big endorsement coming from Uggla. Flashback to September, when he publicly criticized Ramirez for taking himself out of a game against the Braves, citing a sore hamstring.

Uggla, echoing his teammates’ feelings, said he supports manger Fredi Gonzalez’s decision to bench Ramirez indefinitely.

“Does that mean we love Hanley any less? No. We’ve all made mistakes. We’ve all done things. But you move on, you move forward,” Uggla said.

Helms said it’s important for Ramirez to apologize. Uggla didn’t care if Hanley does or doesn’t.

“It’s up to him. He’s gonna handle it the way he wants to handle it,” Uggla said. “Whichever way he wanst to handle it, I’m gonna support him just like I support Fredi for doing what he did yesterday.”

Uggla said he’s looking forward to speaking soon one-one-one with his double-play partner.

“I’d like to, if there’s a time we can be alone, because he’s a big part of this team. He’s one of the best players in the game and we need him. That’s the bottom line. I’m gonna love him either way.”

Helms said it wasn’t uncomfortable sitting on the bench all day with Ramirez, who’ used to playing all nine innings, “because the other 24 guys, we know what was going on, we knew how it was handled and we know as a team what we have to do. We’re behind each other.”

Hanley’s son is behind is father, too.

Ramirez avoided a mob of reporters at his locker after the game, choosing to get dressed in an equipment room in the back. He sneaked to the exit and whispered something to his son.

Hanley Jr. then disappeared though the mob, re-appearing at his dad’s locker where he retrieved dad’s satchel and brought it back out to the exit.
            http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marli...anley-ramirez/

Comment

I afraid this might blow up to the manny-red sox level circa 2008.
              If Hanley continues to be a dick, does the team entertain trading him?
              Tom Koehler(4-0)
              AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Originally posted by Fish and Chips View Post
                I afraid this might blow up to the manny-red sox level circa 2008.
                If Hanley continues to be a dick, does the team entertain trading him?
                No.

Comment

Hanley uses a satchel?
                  Tom Koehler(4-0)

Comment

I like Uggla's response more than Helms'.
                    poop

Comment

• Indeed, Uggla gon be our savior.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fish and Chips View Post
                        Hanley uses a satchel?
                        How else would a man carry his skittles with style and grace?
                        This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

• Yeah it'd be nice if Uggla really takes over as the team leader. Kinda like Pudge was in 2003. Our team leader should not be a guy who doesn't even start. That's really not bashing Helms either, that's just the way it is.

Comment

• Audio of Hanley being a bitch: http://www.miamiherald.com/1468

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                              Yeah it'd be nice if Uggla really takes over as the team leader. Kinda like Pudge was in 2003. Our team leader should not be a guy who doesn't even start. That's really not bashing Helms either, that's just the way it is.
                              I don't think this team needs a "rah rah" leader like Helms. It needs an in-your-face leader, and I don't think we have one of those in the clubhouse.

Comment

• While Hanley Ramirez is being blistered around the country - this time for his words, after embarrassing himself with his actions on Monday - one of his mentors/idols, Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols, spent most of his pregame on Tuesday working with a 15-year-old cancer patient in the batting cage.

Pujols showed the boy around the Cardinals clubhouse, autographed a bat and asked him to autograph a jersey and gave him pointers on his swing.

And how did Hanley spend his pregame Tuesday? We all know how that turned out.

Perhaps Pujols can give Hanley some more advice as the Marlins open a two-game series today in St. Louis. After all, the two did meet a few years ago during spring training and according to those familiar with the conversation, it was mostly Pujols telling Hanley to stop acting the way he does and respect the game more.

I guess that didn’t work

Hanley has very little, if any, support nationally on what Yahoo! Sports is calling ‘LollygagGate.’ The most critical comments came from Mike Golic on the Mike & Mike in the Morning show.

“What an embarrassment he is for sports,” Golic said. “He’s a poster child for a great athlete who doesn’t give a damn.

“It’s unreal what he did and to compound it by opening up his mouth and having that garbage come out of it. … the way he handled it just made me sick.”

Few Cardinals offered their opinion to Hall of Fame writer Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Tuesday, weary of becoming involved in somebody else’s problems.

Closer Ryan Franklin: “I’m not saying that I agree with anything. I just know it definitely is not good for the team.”

Right fielder Ryan Ludwick: “I’m glad that what’s going on there isn’t going on over here. That can become a distraction, so I’m glad it’s their issue and not ours.”

Reliever Trever Miller: “He needs to apologize - if that’s what his manager wants him to do - so then go ahead and do that. (Fredi Gonzalez) is the boss. I think an athlete sometimes forgets who’s in charge.”

Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports says Hanley needs to apologize to his teammates “for disrespecting them. For disrespecting his sport. For disrespecting himself.”

Rosenthal also focused on the way Fredi handled the uprising:

I just hope Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria was paying attention.

This was his manager’s finest hour.

Fredi Gonzalez was right to yank shortstop Hanley Ramirez for loafing on Monday night.

He would be right to bench Ramirez indefinitely and even suspend him for his clueless, disrespectful comments toward his manager and teammates on Tuesday.

Maybe now Gonzalez finally will escape Loria’s crosshairs.

The manager gained immense respect from his other 24 players for yanking Ramirez, the team’s best and highest-paid player, in the middle of a game.

Later, he wrote:

Ramirez, 26, should set an example, as Derek Jeter does for the Yankees, as Albert Pujols does for the Cardinals.

Play hard. Respect the game.

It’s not so difficult.

This from David Brown of Big League Stew:

Short of shaving points or tanking a game outright, the worst thing a professional athlete can do is fail or refuse to give his or her best effort.

Hanley Ramirez, the defending National League batting champion and a two-time All-Star, did not appear to give his best effort against the Arizona Diamondbacks on Monday night.

Now what happens? Does Hanley apologize to his teammates, not only for his actions but also for accusing all of them of “dogging it” at times? Is he in the lineup for tonight’s game?

Stay tuned.
                                /Cappozi's blog though it was written by his coleague.

Comment

Working...
                                X