Hanley Ramirez 2010: Starting All-Star SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanley Ramirez 2010: Starting All-Star SS

Because now that it's May, he kind of cares, so we should too.

1.120 OPS over the last week, 1.312 for the month of May.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
      Why do you sit him?

The replay's funny and it's awesome to overreact, but he's (1) the team's best player who (2) almost broke his shin/foot the previous half inning. It's not a stretch to say that maybe that's why he wasn't sprinting. Hanley hasn't run at even 80% a lot this year, that's him. Because the TV camera finally caught it doesn't mean it's something new. You talk to him, loudly, explaining why that can't happen and then leave it at that.
      Being the teams best player doesn't excuse you for half-assing a play that costs you 2 runs and if his shin hurts well he can come out of the game anyways.

Comment

Pulled for loafing/injury.

Next couple of days could get reeeeeeeeeeeeeally fun.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
          Being the teams best player doesn't excuse you for half-assing a play that costs you 2 runs and if his shin hurts well he can come out of the game anyways.
          Oh, I agree, but pulling him for this is like reprimanding the dog for shitting in the bedroom when he's used the living room as his personal toilet.

Comment

Oh, I agree, but pulling him for this is like reprimanding the dog for shitting in the bedroom when he's used the living room as his personal toilet.
            It's true. Hanley hasn't run hard to first base yet this year.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with Swift. Hanley made a hilarious play. You can also open up a huge can of worms if you bench him. Ain't no manager gon change Hanley into king hustle.

Comment

I'm sure a lot have noticed that, at least I have, but that isn't quite as bad as what just occurred. You send a message to the team that that type of play isn't welcome and you do that with your best player. Charlie Manuel did it with Rollins and Manuel has done it with Reyes.

Comment

Sure, don't bench Hanley, but it's pretty sad that a team has to deal with such a prima donna. OMG I can't discipline my star player because he might throw a temper tantrum. Who gives a fuck, send a message. Didn't Rollins get sat down after not hustling to 1st a few back, and he came out after the game and said he was wrong? I just don't ever see Hanley being mature enough to do that. O well

Comment

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
                    it's different running out ground balls and running after live balls that affect the play. Bases empty hanley not running is a lot different then 2 on and hanley kicks the ball and isnt running.
                    Except any aspect of the game you can imagine, Hanley's been operating at 80% with regularity.

I'm not saying I have a problem with Hanley. 80% of him is better than all but 3 or 4 players in all of baseball.

What I do have a problem with is that the team can't be a-ok with Hanley being Hanley and then bench him when Hanley being Hanley took front and center.

I wish they could get a camera to follow him on every at bat or play in the infield and put that in the bottom corner. He stares at his fly balls, he gets late breaks on balls, he does very little "hard." That's all forgiven because you don't see it, you don't instinctively say "why isn't he on 3rd" "why didn't he get in front of that ball?" You do say "why did you kick it and not run after it?" To me, there's a marginal difference. If you're not trying, you're not trying. To a professional sports team, they obviously see what I see, and they overlook it.
                    --------------------
                    CODY FUCKING ROSS!!!!!!!!!
                    Last edited by Swifty; 05-17-2010, 07:58 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Except any aspect of the game you can imagine, Hanley's been operating at 80% with regularity.

I'm not saying I have a problem with Hanley. 80% of him is better than all but 3 or 4 players in all of baseball.

What I do have a problem with is that the team can't be a-ok with Hanley being Hanley and then bench him when Hanley being Hanley took front and center.

I wish they could get a camera to follow him on every at bat or play in the infield and put that in the bottom corner. He stares at his fly balls, he gets late breaks on balls, he does very little "hard." That's all forgiven because you don't see it, you don't instinctively say "why isn't he on 3rd" "why didn't he get in front of that ball?" You do say "why did you kick it and not run after it?" To me, there's a marginal difference. If you're not trying, you're not trying. To a professional sports team, they obviously see what I see, and they overlook it.
                      --------------------
                      CODY FUCKING ROSS!!!!!!!!!
                      And you know what happens if Fredi does nothing with Hanley after that play was seen in clear daylight. It gets scrutinized by the media and can lead to trouble within the club house and how Hanley basically just shit on the rest of the team and had no repercussions.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                        And you know what happens if Fredi does nothing with Hanley after that play was seen in clear daylight. It gets scrutinized by the media and can lead to trouble within the club house and how Hanley basically just shit on the rest of the team and had no repercussions.
                        Yeah maybe, but we've heard time and again the Marlins' clubhouse doesn't give a good god damn what the rest of the world thinks, it's just what the 25 guys in there think.

Comment

So when it's the 7th inning and he smacks a ball of the rightfield wall that he pauses to admire and ends up coasting into second rather than busting it into a triple, that's fine?

When he jogs to a ground ball, doesn't get in front of it and it goes off his glove and into centerfied, that's fine?

When an infielder has enough time to recover, double clutch and still throw him out at first because he stopped running assuming he was out, that's fine?

To me, all of those are equally reprehensible. It's easy to get on Hanley for tonight, but he didn't load the bases before his mindfuck. Misplaying a ball into a double is no big deal and no one really calls for blood.

And that's my point all along. In a vacuum, Hanley does this shit all the time, he just doesn't do it in the spotlight costing the team a run all the time. Do you really draw the line there, is it "well, since the run comes in, we're benching him."...?
                          --------------------
                          Better bench Coghlan now too!
                          Last edited by Swifty; 05-17-2010, 08:31 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by FishFF View Post
                            So if Hanley stands at SS and watches balls go by him while he picks his ass, should he be benched then? I mean you have his hustle pegged at 80%, when does the manager draw the line? 60%? Never because he's Hanley?
                            Missing my point. It's not "well as long as it's 80% it's fine, the second it goes lower your ass is on the pine!"

It's simply that because the fuck up lead to a run, you're pissed. It's a drastically over simplified way of looking at what's wrong with a player. Coghlan just cost the team a run by being stupid. Really really stupid, but because he's sprinting, we're fine with it.

Comment

No matter how you try to spin it Swift the fact it cost us runs magnifies the situation that it has to be done. It pisses me off to no end when Hanley stares at his fly balls but he still hasn't pulled one of those where it should have been a double or he gets thrown out at 2nd...yet. He flat out fucked up today and there is no excuse for it. Whether he's injured or not he needed to either notify Fredi he couldn't go or at least show some fucking effort to go after the damn ball. It was flat out embarrassing watch him jog for the ball and the runners are rounding the bases to score. How can you honestly defend that?

Comment

Working...
                              X