No announcement yet.

Hanley Ramirez 2010: Starting All-Star SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd post the Olney insider thing, but I don't want to set of copyright alarms.

The condensed version is that Fredi should play Hanley today because this could go on for a very long time (forever?) if Fredi insists on an apology. He should use the "wipe the slate clean" strategy, and take the goodwill he's built with the other guys and move forward.

Olney also echos what I said a few days ago in that everyone knows this is what Hanley is and has been and that makes it difficult to believe meaningful change is forthcoming.

Comment

• Obama said we'd have hope and change, I guess that doesn't go for prima donna baseball players.
      This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

• "It's going to get resolved today one way or another. I would be really surprised if he's not in the lineup today." - Fredi

Comment

• Hanley actually played the "Fredi never played major league ball" card.

Comment

• joecapMARLINS: Fredi tells 790 The Ticket this a.m.: Hanley has not apologized yet to team on plane or hotel. "I think he will do the right thing."
            /Twitter

Comment

• this story has some serious legs... quite annoying

Comment

• If all goes as planned, Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez expects All-Star shortstop Hanley Ramirez -- benched on Monday and kept out of the lineup on Tuesday because of what the manager said was a lack of hustle -- to be back in the lineup on Wednesday night at St. Louis.

Gonzalez said he anticipated that Ramirez will address his teammates, offering some sort of explanation or apology for his actions and words, which would resolve the internal brush fire that has swept over the team the past two days.

"It's going to get resolved one way or the other today," Gonzalez said during an interview on Wednesday morning with WQAM radio. "I would be really surprised if he's not in the lineup today. We'll take care of it and he'll be in the three hole and playing shortstop."

Gonzalez was a morning guest on Orlando Alzugaray's show.

The Marlins manager also did his weekly show with Jorge Sedano of 790 The Ticket (WAXY-Miami), the team's flagship radio station.

Asked if the All-Star shortstop apologized to his teammates, Gonzalez said: "Not yet, I expect him to do it. I expect him to do the right thing."

The plane ride to St. Louis was described as normal, and not much was said about the friction between the manager and the star shortstop.

Gonzalez told 790 The Ticket: "I could care less about mine, if he apologizes to me or not, but I think he needs to address his teammates a little bit. When that happens, we are good to go. The comments about me, it's, hey, believe this, when I go to the mound in Philly or New York, I get called worse than 'You never played in the big leagues.' "
                Gonzalez envisions Hanley back in lineup

“Not yet,” he said. “Not yet. I expect him to do it. I expect him to do the right thing. But I think he needs to address his teammates a little bit. When that happens, we are good to go.”
                Fredi Gonzalez says Hanley Ramirez will be in lineup tonight against Cardinals

I'm with Fredi on this, 100%. Hanley is acting like a 2 year old, throwing a fit in the middle of a store because his mom won't buy him a toy. Fredi shouldn't let him play until he offers some kind of apology to his teammates. So what if Hanley doesn't want to do it. My manager made me apology to someone for something I didn't think I did wrong. You do it and get over it.
                Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 05-19-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• Honestly if I'm Hanley I don't play another game for this team until Fredi/Helms are gone. Maybe I'm a diva but thats how I would react with everything thats unfolded.
                  "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                  - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• yea, I could see that working for all parties involved

Comment

• From Dave Hyde at the Sun-Sentinel:

Hanley Ramirez just doesn't get it

After loafing Monday, he escalates issue by criticizing manager
                      Dave Hyde Sports Columnist

MIAMI GARDENS
                      "To who?" Hanley Ramirez said, when asked if he would apologize for loafing Monday, loafing like no one in Marlins Get your Marlins Tickets now!' history, loafing like no player on any South Florida team perhaps ever.

To teammates, he was told.

"For what?" he asked.

He sat at his locker Tuesday morning and, eyes glaring, arms folded, striking a pose between stubborn and silly. Then he showed how far misplaced pride can go by addressing manager Fredi Gonzalez benching him this way:

"It's his team. He can do whatever he f------- wants."

You know Ramirez's real crime here?

He doesn't get it.

You either act like a pro or you don't. Ramirez didn't Monday when he trotted after a ball he had booted into the outfield as two runs scored. He didn't Tuesday when he poured gas on this firestorm with his reaction to Gonzalez's discipline.

"Who's that?" Ramirez said, not smiling.

Your manager.

"Oh, yeah,'' he said.

And so Monday's ugly effort extended into Tuesday's uglier staredown. Gonzalez, with the backing of the front office, said Ramirez won't play again until he addresses his teammates.

Ramirez says he won't apologize and didn't Tuesday as the Marlins won without him against Arizona, 8-0.

"We've got 24 more guys over there,'' Ramirez said. "Hopefully, they can do the same things I do."

Do you remember a superstar ever defending the indefensible so loudly? And lamely? All Ramirez had to do was say he did something wrong, the way people admit to mistakes all the time, and this goes away.

Instead, Ramirez grasped at the cliché of Gonzalez not understanding this situation, because, "He never played in the big leagues."

Ramirez hasn't managed in the big leagues, either. If Gonzalez doesn't do the obvious here, if he doesn't yank Hanley for dogging it Monday, if he doesn't demand he talk to teammates Tuesday, he should turn in his badge right then.

One by one, from Josh Johnson to Dan Uggla, the Marlins clubhouse backed Gonzalez. That's important, given Hanley's superstar status and Gonzalez's sometimes-fragile standing.

"When something's wrong, it's wrong,'' Gonzalez said.

This was the first time in more than three seasons Gonzalez has said anything but sunshine and buttercups about any player. If anything, that brought another issue to the surface.

Ramirez has been coddled since Joe Girardi left the clubhouse. He feels entitled to act however he wants. He's Hanley being Manny, as has been feared for a while, going back to past last year when Uggla called him out for not playing hard and, in a separate incident, Wes Helms had to be separated from him.

The only way Ramirez's actions make any sense is if he was hurt. He fouled a pitch off his shin Monday night. He said he was in pain. He wore a bandage over the shin Tuesday.

But Gonzalez said there's no injury. Ramirez said he could play. And when asked if he gave less than 100 percent on the play in question, he said, "I don't know. It looked like it."

Could he have kept playing?

"For him, I don't think so," he said.

So Tuesday went. Hanley held onto his pride like Billy Zane held onto the Titanic. He was the last player out of the dugout after the win, the last one in line to slap fives in his lukewarm way.

But he's been the last one to get it these past couple of days. You either act like a pro or you don't. Hanley didn't and so an ugly staredown went on the plane late Tuesday afternoon to St. Louis.

Comment

• must have been an interesting plane ride

Comment

• That "get your Marlins tickets now!" never fails
                          to deliver.

Comment

• Hanley Ramírez cambió de idea y se disculpará con el manager Fredi González y sus compañeros de los Marlins de Florida antes del partido de esta noche contra los Cardenales en San Luis.

"Lamento que todo esto se haya puesto tan feo, no era mi intención crea una distracción", dijo Ramírez a ESPNdeportes.com por teléfono desde San Luis.

"Siento que las cosas hayan llegado a estos niveles, el equipo y los fanáticos no lo merecen", dijo. "Aquí todos somos profesionales y estamos halando para el mismo lado, voy a tratar de cerrar este capítulo y enfocarme en jugar pelota", agregó Ramírez.

La postura del torpedero Todos Estrellas contrasta con la del día anterior, cuando dijo a los periodistas en Miami que no planeaba disculparse con sus compañeros y que le había perdido un poco de respeto al dirigente.

González retiró a Ramírez de la alineación en la segunda entrada del juego del lunes en la noche por su falta de esfuerzo en perseguir una pelota que pateó accidentalmente luego de fallar en atraparla.

"Eso fue lo más fuerte que pude ir tras la pelota", dijo el martes Ramírez, quien se había golpeado en la pantorrilla izquierdo con un foul en su turno al bate en la primera entrada de ese encuentro. Pero González no estuvo de acuerdo.

"Hanley salió de juego porque sentimos -- se golpeó en el tobillo -- que tras su golpe, ya fuera que estuviese lastimado o no, no estaba dando todo el esfuerzo que queríamos", dijo González el lunes.

Ramírez dijo que no podía correr a toda capacidad porque estaba resentido del golpe del primer episodio y agregó que González no entendía eso porque "él [González] nunca jugó en Grandes Ligas".

"No quiero comenzar a decir que fui mal interpretado o cosas por el estilo, pero cuando dije que Fredi no jugó en Grandes Ligas me refería al hecho de haberme sacado en medio del juego", dijo Ramírez.

"Yo me refería al hecho de que en Grandes Ligas hay cámaras en cada esquina que recogen cada gesto y cada movimiento y nadie quiere que lo retraten siendo amonestado . No estaba tratando de subestimar o denigrar al manager porque no jugó en Grandes Ligas", explicó el jugador.

"En resumen, lo que estaba diciendo es que en Grandes Ligas hay formas diferentes de hacer las cosas a como se hacen en las ligas menores", dijo Ramírez.

González dijo el miércoles en la mañana a la emisora WQAM de Miami que Ramírez aún no se había disculpado con sus compañeros por la jugada del lunes y sus posteriores comentarios, pero que estaría "realmente sorprendido" si el dominicano no estaba en la alineación del primer partido contra San Luis.

Ramírez, de 26 años, es el mejor jugador de los Marlins y la cara de la franquicia que se prepara para inaugurar un nuevo estadio en el 2012. El torpedero batea .293 con 7 jonrones y 20 carreras impulsadas esta temporada, ganó el título de bateo de la Liga Nacional el año anterior y fue Novato del Año en el 2006.

"El y sus compañeros necesitan hablar... cosas como esas, si no se atienden, pueden fracturar el camerino", dijo González el miércoles a la emisora 790 The Ticket de Miami.
                            Hanley Ramírez acepta disculparse (Hanley Agrees to Apologize)

For those that don't understand spanish basically he says he had no intention of this blowing so much out of proportion and has agreed to apologize and close this chapter and leave it behind.
                            --------------------
                            Google Translator translates it almost perfectly too.
                            Last edited by MiamiHomer; 05-19-2010, 01:21 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Translated via Google Translator

Hanley Ramírez changed his mind and apologize to the manager Fredi Gonzalez and his colleagues from the Florida Marlins before tonight's game against the Cardinals in St. Louis.

"I regret that this has gotten so ugly, it was not my intention to create a distraction," Ramirez told ESPNdeportes.com on the phone from San Luis.

"I feel that things have reached these levels, the team and the fans do not deserve it," he said. "Here we are all professionals and we are pulling for the same side, I will try to close this chapter and focus on playing ball," added Ramirez.

The All-Star shortstop's position contrasts with the previous day when he told reporters in Miami that he planned to apologize to his teammates and that he had lost some respect for the leader.

Gonzales retired Ramírez in the lineup in the second inning of Monday night for their lack of effort in pursuing accidentally kicked a ball after failing to catch it.

"That was as hard as I could go after the ball," Ramirez said Tuesday, who had beaten on the left shin with a foul in his at-bat in the first inning of that game. But Gonzalez did not agree.

"Hanley left the game because we felt - was hit in the ankle - which, after being hit, as was that he was hurt or not, was not giving all the effort we wanted," Gonzalez said Monday.

Ramirez said he could not run full capacity because he resented the blow of the first episode and said that Gonzalez did not understand that because "he [Gonzalez] never played in the Major Leagues."

"I do not want to start saying that I misunderstood or something like that, but when I said that Fredi did not play baseball I referred to the fact that I got in the middle of the game," Ramirez said.

"I was referring to the fact that major league in every corner there are cameras that gather every gesture and every move and nobody wants to be portrayed to be reprimanded. I was not trying to belittle or denigrate the manager because they did not play baseball," said the player.

"In short, what I was saying is that in baseball there are different ways of doing things like they are in the minor leagues," Ramirez said.

Gonzalez said Wednesday morning at the station WQAM in Miami that Ramirez had not yet apologized to his teammates for the play on Monday and his subsequent comments, but would be "really surprised" if the Dominican Republic was not in the lineup for the first game against St. Louis.

Ramirez, 26, is the best player on the Marlins and the face of the franchise is preparing to launch a new stadium in 2012. The shortstop batting .293 with seven homers and 20 RBIs this season, won the batting title in the National League last year and was Rookie of the Year in 2006.

"Him and his teammates need to talk ... things like that, if left untreated, can fracture the clubhouse," Gonzalez said on Wednesday at the station 790 The Ticket in Miami.

Comment

• NEW YORK -- Speaking prior to the Red Sox' 7-6 win over the Yankees Tuesday night at Yankee Stadium, David Ortiz weighed in on the controversy surrounding his former teammate, Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez. Ramirez was benched by Florida manager Fredi Gonzalez after loafing after a ball Monday. The All-Star then proceeded to show little remorse, saying Tuesday "We got a lot of people dogging after ground balls."

"This is not about embarrassing the player that he is," said Ortiz, who befriended Ramirez -- a fellow native of the Dominican Republic -- prior to the Red Sox trading the shortstop following the 2005 season. "Sometimes we might need to be reminded about things we do that we think is the right thing but it's not. There are more eyes watching. But embarrassing you, or your embarrassing your manager or your teammates is not the right way to go.

"You say, 'Son, let's talk. What happened?' That's all it is. You've got people watching you. It's not the right thing to do. Don't do it. Slap on the hand."

Ortiz, who said he will be calling Ramirez, doesn't believe the 26-year-old's actions should be ignored, but just handled in a more private manner.

"He's a young kid who is very talented. Sometimes you sit down players who make a mistake and then people start pointing a finger at you. That doesn't help," Ortiz said. "He's a great player. He might have done something wrong, but you're talking about the franchise kid. Why embarrass him? 'Let's talk. I don't think what you did is right. You're a grown-ass man. You've got to do your thing out there, so make sure that doesn't happen anymore.' "

Ironically, Ortiz dealt with a similar situation Tuesday night when he failed to run hard out of the batter's box after hitting a long fly ball to center field in the eighth inning. The ball bounced off the top of the wall for a hit, allowing the game-tying run to score, but Ortiz was thrown out at second base after attempting to stretch the hit into a double. After the game Ortiz admitted that he thought he had hit a home run.

"Oh yeah, no question," Ortiz said. "It was Mother Nature taking away pop from my bat."

Asked if he was mad at himself for not running hard out of the batters box, Ortiz said, "Oh, yeah. What can you do? Turn the page."

Red Sox manager Terry Francona chose to not comment on what was, or will be, said to Ortiz regarding the incident. "That's kind of our business," he said. "I don't think that will happen anymore. It was a good swing."
                                http://www.fanfeedr.com/mlb/2010/05/...ht-thing-to-do

Comment

Working...
                                X