No announcement yet.

CSBC Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because their combined value is worth having Halladay. San Antonio is in a "win now" mentality. He is willing to mortgage some future talent in exchange for an older SP who is currently leading the league in ERA.

He gave up a cool little 1B prospect, probably going to be average/slightly above, an ML ready SS who is gonna be about average and a cool CL prospect.

At the same time, San Antonio has a very very solid bullpen and the best offense in their league with players like Markakis, Mauer and Fowler, who are all young and VERY good, so he can afford to give up some future offensive talent.

In a "tit for tat" sense, he overpaid inasmuch as, in the long run, those players will likely, collectively, be more valuable... but since he is in great position to win now, those players will not help him achieve that goal, Halladay will.
    CSBC Commish

Comment

• Yeah, I get that but that's not what I was asking. I get why MiamiHomer wanted Halladay. What I'm asking is why those three specific players? Why not some of the other players MiamiHomer has? Why were those three chosen? What makes them equivalent value?

Comment

• Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
        Yeah, I get that but that's not what I was asking. I get why MiamiHomer wanted Halladay. What I'm asking is why those three specific players? Why not some of the other players MiamiHomer has? Why were those three chosen? What makes them equivalent value?
        Well, in the case of San Antonio, they don't have a ton of great players in the minors, they have a few though. San Francisco is basically in a rebuilding mode, so prospects are key. Players with ML experience are not ideal - nor would SA, in a win now mode, want to give up anyone on the big league roster.

So, once prospects were settled on, it was a matter of finding which ones. Anyone 26 or older was out of the question, because as we all should know by now, prospects stop developing at 26.

So that left a handful of other guys. Now, in rebuilding mode, depth is important, so as opposed to just asking for someone like Travis Snider straight up, on behalf of SF, I asked for a few good prospects, as opposed to one great one. This gives some insurance should one or two get injured or neg-dev'd At the very very least, you're looking at 6 cost controlled years of a quality closer in exchange for Roy Halladay. Ideally, you get the 3 of them for 6 cost-controlled years.
        CSBC Commish

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
          So the current schedule is:

Sim on Sunday

Draft on Tuesday

Sim on Thursday/normal sim schedule

Again draft class is now out, so it's time to start looking at it. And use this thread if you have any comments about the class since the other thread got derailed from my fuck up. Draft will be two rounds, the rest will be auto'd.
          ok another fuck up on my part haha

I'm used to June 15th being the draft (default date in OOTP) but it was moved to the 30th last year to give Swift time to edit the draft class. So it's not actually for another few sims.

Comment

• I'm never going to understand this.

Why did you chose three players instead of 2 players or four players? Why a 4-star, 3-star and 2-star player?

Comment

I'm never going to understand this.

Why did you chose three players instead of 2 players or four players? Why a 4-star, 3-star and 2-star player?
              ... Mba, you're REALLY being ridiculous now. It's a matter of compromise. Had I asked for 4 players, San Antonio would have said no, had I asked for 2, I wouldn't be getting fair value.

The star values, I already explained. I was limited by what SA had and made the best offer that could be compromised.
              CSBC Commish

Comment

• Originally posted by PitchingWinsGames View Post
                ... Mba, you're REALLY being ridiculous now. It's a matter of compromise. Had I asked for 4 players, San Antonio would have said no, had I asked for 2, I wouldn't be getting fair value.

The star values, I already explained. I was limited by what SA had and made the best offer that could be compromised.
                See? I'm asking questions because I honestly don't know why you picked what you picked and you say I'm being ridiculous. I'm not kidding. I really have no idea why you picked what you picked and why. This is why I don't understand trades.

Comment

• Because that's what's in SA's system. It's not like SA has 20 minor league 3 star guys guys.

PWG valued Halladay as being worth around 3 mid-star prospects. With what's in SA's system, that lead to DeJesus, Anderson, and Morales. They're the players that fall into that realm. Don't focus on why those three specific players. Simply focus on the round about value, then see what in their system fits that value. Knowing that value is experience, which PWG will help you with, but you can only gain experience by actually doing it.

Comment

See? I'm asking questions because I honestly don't know why you picked what you picked and you say I'm being ridiculous. I'm not kidding. I really have no idea why you picked what you picked and why. This is why I don't understand trades.
                    Im saying you're ridiculous because you're asking a question that, if you stopped for one second, it boils down to what I've already said a thousand times. Fair Value. I explained why those players were worth acquiring. The trick, then, is compromising.

Tell you what, PM me an offer for any player on my team and I'll go through it with you. Sit down, give it a minute, go through your system and find some guys and then find a player on my team you'd like and we'll do a hypothetical trade, as practice.
                    --------------------
                    By the way... Ralph is probably the coyest GM in the league.
                    Last edited by PitchingWinsGames; 07-17-2010, 10:18 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                    CSBC Commish

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                      Because that's what's in SA's system. It's not like SA has 20 minor league 3 star guys guys.

PWG valued Halladay as being worth around 3 mid-star prospects. With what's in SA's system, that lead to DeJesus, Anderson, and Morales. They're the players that fall into that realm. Don't focus on why those three specific players. Simply focus on the round about value, then see what in their system fits that value. Knowing that value is experience, which PWG will help you with, but you can only gain experience by actually doing it.
                      Okay, then I guess I'm back to how do you figure out that Halladay is worth 3 mid-star prospects. And what if it's not an ace-type starter you're trading for?

There's more to this than just explaining a trade. I think I understand the Halladay trade but that doesn't mean that I would understand trading other players that are not staff ace's.
                      --------------------
                      Originally posted by PitchingWinsGames View Post
                      Im saying you're ridiculous because you're asking a question that, if you stopped for one second, it boils down to what I've already said a thousand times. Fair Value. I explained why those players were worth acquiring. The trick, then, is compromising.

Tell you what, PM me an offer for any player on my team and I'll go through it with you. Sit down, give it a minute, go through your system and find some guys and then find a player on my team you'd like and we'll do a hypothetical trade, as practice.
                      --------------------
                      By the way... Ralph is probably the coyest GM in the league.
                      How am I supposed to PM you an offer when I still don't understand fully how to value guys?
                      Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 07-17-2010, 10:23 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

How am I supposed to PM you an offer when I still don't understand fully how to value guys?
                        It's practice Mibbs... you send me the offer and I'll critique it. I'll let you know how close you are to a good offer and stuff.
                        CSBC Commish

Comment

• Hey, there's a great example. Explain the Sin City-Miami trade to me.

Comment

• pitching wins games!!!
                            Last edited by Ralph; 07-17-2010, 10:39 PM.
                            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Ay dios mio...

Sin City sends:
                              Felix Hernandez SP (ML) - Ace Pitcher having a bad year
                              Andruw Jones OF (ML) - Salary dump

Miami sends:
                              #4 pick in 2009 draft 4-5 star player
                              Chris Parmelee OF (AAA) 4.5 star OFer, low WE but sort of young
                              Jason Donald 2B (ML) 4 stars, high WE but not much time left to develop
                              Angel Castillo OF (ML) 4 stars but neg dev'd so he'll probably round out to 2 stars at best, still quality
                              Matt McGuire SP (AA) average SP prospect

Moss gets a salary dump he's been after for a while and gets some quality depth for his organization. This gives him some financial flexibility as well as the players above, he's not in big time competition now, so Felix doesn't help him really.

Ralph gets an ace-quality pitcher. Felix has pitched well in this division, too, with Philly. Ralph has a fairly talented rotation that's mostly been under-performing. He got Hafner from me in the offseason to pair with Hanley, so he's got some offensive talent. This also frees up a SP that he can trade for another bat, if he so desires, which helps give him a chance to turn his team around in the second half.
                              CSBC Commish

Comment

• I have never been more frustrated with anything in my life. I'm a fast learner and always have been but this trading is just something that I cannot wrap my mind around. I still don't understand how you figure out that a 23 year old, 4.5 star pitcher and a salary dump are worth four 4 star or higher prospects and another guy. This is like trying to read chinese to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X