No announcement yet.

Pujolsapalooza: Multiple Reports - 10 Year Contract with Angels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really hope the FO is doing this because they believe it makes the roster much better over the next 5-7 years and not just a marketing ploy. I would have said make this move just for the marketing ploy a few days ago, but with the stadium coming online such a move isn't necessary. They aren't looking to draw people into a dump. It's a brand new stadium that's generating a lot of hype in November. 90 wins from a group of nobodies keeps the momentum going into '13 and '14.

Comment

• Couldn't it be both?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
        Just remind them you're a Browns fan.
        All we get are 10 home games a year, 2 preseason games in which I have to pay for, and 1 shitty Kenny Chesney concert!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
          I don't disagree that minimum player X + tons of cash is a good thing that sometimes allows you to put a more competitive team together than the super duper star, but, doesn't the tons of cash that gets players y and z then also have to have the same cost benefit analysis. And wouldn't it also be reasonable to say that, assuming equally competent and marginal players in house that the same conclusion is reached and players aa, bb and cc are targeted and the same endless cycle of shying away from expensive talent results in a collection of back end of the roster players fleshing out a team?

That's the mindset that I see as crippling at times to a team that is very close to being good but can't necessarily make the leap itself. And if the players gotten are ultimately players settled upon wouldn't it be better to just have gone with the most talented player?
          But nobody is saying "NEVER GET GOOD PLAYERS WHO COST MONEY."

We're saying "Maybe not getting just this specific good player, and instead keeping our OK player who does 40% of the job for 2% of the cost, and going and getting a couple of good players who can fill a number of different spots with that money is a better idea. But maybe not. Either way, it's fun to talk about."
          poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
            Couldn't it be both?
            If it's both, by all means do it. You'd be stupid not to. But I'm worried as to how much influence Baseball Ops has in these decisions. I'm really glad Loria is opening up the check book, but if his baseball people are not behind this 100% I'd be very concerned going forward.

Comment

• WTFCSP was my favorite.
              There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• Originally posted by DropkickAlex View Post
                All we get are 10 home games a year, 2 preseason games in which I have to pay for, and 1 shitty Kenny Chesney concert!
                wow the Chesney concert is worse than watching the Browns offense

Comment

• signing pujols is a marketing move

you have the race for the homerun title over a 9 year contract. That is alot of money, plus all of his records to promote, etc etc etc

It is a marketing ploy, it is called making miami, a team which loves to win and loves stars, the biggest star in baseball

sign me up for 24,25,26,27 million a year happily. We can deal with the end of it while he is breaking records.
                  My only request is extend Stanton too.

Comment

• It's a "sign the best player in baseball" move.

Comment

• I think that's on page 5 of the marketing textbook.
                      --------------------
                      This made me laugh, because people obviously don't know how to do division.

https://www.facebook.com/NLEastTalk/...20896307924251
                      Last edited by Swifty; 11-15-2011, 10:04 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Oh I did it.

Free Agency Money Totals (price is total contract price even for years moving forward at time of signing, i.e. Buck is $18 in 2010 for full contract value, all of Delgado is 2005 for the one big hit)

2012 Infante $8

versus

2011 - Buck, Vazquez, Choate $27.5
                        2010 - Fucking No One, Minor league deals McClung, McDougal, Dicks
                        2009 - Scott Proctor - $750,000
                        2008 - Luis Gonzalez, Hendrickson, McPherson, Cantu $4.5
                        2007 - Aaron Boone - $1
                        2006 - No one, minor leaguers
                        2005 - Delgado, T Jones, Damion Easley, Leiter, J. Riedling, Ismael Valdez $63 million.
                        2004 - Castillo, Benitz, D. Oliver, W. Cordero - $20.8 million
                        2003 - Pudge, Hollandsworth, Mordecai - $12 million
                        2002 - Darrensbourg, Millar - $1.5 million

Total Beinfest 02-11 (not including a variety of shit head club controlled deals that no one cares about) around $131 million. I'm going to roll this to $140 just to account for all the "Jose Veras" of the world who made it to the team over the last 10 years off minor league deals.

Yea. Totally going over that in 2012. 10 years people. 10 years.

Comment

• Jerry Crasnick says that St. Louis' original offer never topped $200mil (not the reported $210)

Comment

• jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick
                            How serious are the #Marlins about Pujols? They brought in 10 players to help recruit him during his visit last week. #Cardinals
                            Yay

Comment

• Was one LeBron?

Comment

• I hope they brought in some guys from the Closing Day ceremony. Nothing says Marlins tradition like Darren Daulton and Michael Tejera!

Comment

Working...
                                X