Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obviously the General Manager is not going to be the expert on the guys we draft, but I do think it's important that the General Manager is the guy that says this is the type of player we like, this is what the organization needs, scouts go out and find the players that meet my specifications. Then taking the input he has from all of these scouts he is tasked with making final decisions on draft day. That's the way a General Manager properly handles the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      ok then ya that would be abnormal, i didnt see how tjfla characterized Hill not being involved at all. I think thats kind of an exaggeration though i think he obviously has input on the draft.
      He had NO impact. Jeff let Stan Meek run the whole draft for years which is why u saw us take the same guys over and over every year

Pitchers from OK/KS/TX
      Athlete guys who barely played baseball
      Throw 95+ with nothing else
      24 yr olds after Rd 15

Like 2 years ago they showed the Marlins draft room and it was Stan Meek telling Mike Hill to call Jeff to make sure he was willing to spend the cash on someone

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
      Obviously the General Manager is not going to be the expert on the guys we draft, but I do think it's important that the General Manager is the guy that says this is the type of player we like, this is what the organization needs, scouts go out and find the players that meet my specifications. Then taking the input he has from all of these scouts he is tasked with making final decisions on draft day. That's the way a General Manager properly handles the draft.
      This year the draft was run by Denbo/Greenlee/DJ which is why u saw pretty much a different strategy than years past. They went with up the middle guys

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
      Who the F knows if this is true, but what's even more mind-blowing is that you think it's acceptable that our general manager has no say in drafting players.
      Exactly. Jeff pretty much gave Stan Meek full control of the draft(beside $). If Stan liked a guy a Pitcher from OK/TX or MO then he would scout him personally then take him. Remember the story from 2 years ago when Meek wanted Trevor Rodgers and the rest of the guys(DelPiano) wanted Evan White. Meek called Mike Hill/Jeff to make sure he could spend the $ and they got Rodgers-the next day the other guys didnt even show up for Day 2

Comment

• and yet you think we should keep him around...

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
          and yet you think we should keep him around...
          I dont think we should keep him around to do anything but go to GM meetings and hand the phone to Denbo. He is under contract so he gets paid anyway

- - - - - - - - - -

Remember these good stories

Also brought up that teams were aware that loria was so meddlesome and thought that he knew everything just because he read baseballamerica's prospect lists that teams wouldnt even bother asking for guys that were in there because loria would act like they are great prospects because he knows their names. It's part of the reason we gave up Chris Paddack for Fernando Rodney in an absolute idiotic trade that looks even worse now that paddack is back and pitching after TJ.

Marlins were set on taking rogers last year in the draft, the night before, loria calls them up on behalf of the other new guys in the front office (the guys who are now gone) and tells them to take Evan white who ended up going to the mariners, and then meek had to get samson to call back loria and convince loria that they should take rogers and he was able to do it. then the 2nd day of the draft those other guys just dont show up at first until they are forced to (referring to Benedict and Delpiano).

Comment

• I don't understand the mindset of keeping guys in positions when they're not actually doing the work or have the responsibilities.

Comment

I don't understand the mindset of keeping guys in positions when they're not actually doing the work or have the responsibilities.
              Mindset is why pay guys to work for other systems? They got rid of like 6 guys and had to pay them already. Why fire Mattingly when the team is gonna suck next year and pay another manager too? Why fire Mike Hill when Denbo is still busy?

U guys don't realize that Denbo is busy with scouting/trying to rebuild the farm system. He doesn't have time to sit in GM Meetings and answer the phone to see if a team wants a trade. Keep Mike Hill in the office-go to meetings,answer the phone and if he thinks its worth anything then pass the call to Denbo

- - - - - - - - - -

To answer the GM and Draft question. I would say 80% of ML teams this is true. The GM pretty much runs the draft and Denbo who Jeter considers the GM ran the draft this year. However before this year our drafts were run SOLO by Stan Meek and his scouting team. He would call Mike Hill about $ issues but that is it

Miami,Baltimore,KC(Before Dayton Moore),SD(Before AJ Preller) and like 1 or 2 others had Scouting Director do it

Comment

• I don't think anybody's calling for Mattingly to be fired. Being concerned about Mike Hill working for other teams is laughable. Get the leadership structure in place for this FO, have Denbo learn to delegate, get the right people in place, until Mike Hill and all traces of the Loria regime are gone that can't completely happen.

Comment

I don't think anybody's calling for Mattingly to be fired. Being concerned about Mike Hill working for other teams is laughable. Get the leadership structure in place for this FO, have Denbo learn to delegate, get the right people in place, until Mike Hill and all traces of the Loria regime are gone that can't completely happen.
                  I wouldn't mind seeing Girardi back here....he's reportedly looking to manage again. Obviously we have Mattingly another year though.

Comment

I don't think anybody's calling for Mattingly to be fired. Being concerned about Mike Hill working for other teams is laughable. Get the leadership structure in place for this FO, have Denbo learn to delegate, get the right people in place, until Mike Hill and all traces of the Loria regime are gone that can't completely happen.
                    No concern but why pay him to or even sit home? U are paying the guy u might as well have him do something. If u ran a business and u had a guy under contract(u had to pay) would u tell him to take a paid year vacation or tell him to sit behind the desk answer phones/get coffee/shake hands?

Same with Mattingly-I am not calling for him to be fired what I am saying is why would u fire him and have to pay him when the team will be shit again next year. Keep him around to manage in 2019 then say bye

Denbo is getting his people in now. After 2019 season Mike Hill somewhere,Gary Denbo to President/GM,Greenlee or DJ to Denbo's spot

Jeff screwed the new owners over. Remember this nugget

8:13pm: Owner Jeffrey Loria is set to sell the Marlins, but he won’t leave without first taking care of his most trusted employees. That list includes president of baseball operations Michael Hill, whom Loria recently awarded a five-year, $10MM-plus extension, reports Bob Nightengale of USA Today. There are also other Marlins executives with five-year agreements in place, Nightengale adds.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      No concern but why pay him to or even sit home? U are paying the guy u might as well have him do something. If u ran a business and u had a guy under contract(u had to pay) would u tell him to take a paid year vacation or tell him to sit behind the desk answer phones/get coffee/shake hands?

Same with Mattingly-I am not calling for him to be fired what I am saying is why would u fire him and have to pay him when the team will be shit again next year. Keep him around to manage in 2019 then say bye

Denbo is getting his people in now. After 2019 season Mike Hill somewhere,Gary Denbo to President/GM,Greenlee or DJ to Denbo's spot

Jeff screwed the new owners over. Remember this nugget

8:13pm: Owner Jeffrey Loria is set to sell the Marlins, but he won’t leave without first taking care of his most trusted employees. That list includes president of baseball operations Michael Hill, whom Loria recently awarded a five-year, $10MM-plus extension, reports Bob Nightengale of USA Today. There are also other Marlins executives with five-year agreements in place, Nightengale adds.
                      Could shift him to another role, not being the GM.

Recently as in like walking out the door? Or as in after 2019 the deal is done?

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                        I wouldn't mind seeing Girardi back here....he's reportedly looking to manage again. Obviously we have Mattingly another year though.
                        More likely looking at a "new" manager. Jeter reportedly has been looking at Tino,Posada,Bernie,Kevin Long. Other words former NYY friends. Something to watch is see who Jeter hires as the AAA Manager. Rumor is he will hire someone to be AAA Manager this year and then promote them to Marlins Manager in 2020

Not saying Tino,Posada,Bernie as manager but wouldn't be surprised if they were on the staff. Tino as soon as DD is gone so he doesn't violate his RO for choking him
                        Last edited by tjfla; 10-01-2018, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                          Well all the Cuban guys love Miami but in reality they love $$$ even more. When Jeff owned the team his "presentation" was the same for every guy-they tried to get Cespedes,Puig,guy in Boston

Remember u only really play in "Baltimore or Chicago" from April till Sept so u can come back to Florida from Oct to March.

I agree they should be selling these guys on Little Havana,endorsements and all but most of these guys could care less where they play as long as they play baseball and get $$$$

Right. What I'm saying is, in Miami there is the opportunity to make more money when endorsements are factored in. Even if it's strictly a financial decision, they should be able to make more in salary plus endorsements (plus no state income tax) here, than they would in a market like Baltimore.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                            Right. What I'm saying is, in Miami there is the opportunity to make more money when endorsements are factored in. Even if it's strictly a financial decision, they should be able to make more in salary plus endorsements (plus no state income tax) here, than they would in a market like Baltimore.
                            Totally agree. Imagine VV posters in Little Havana and face of Cuban companies in Miami. They should be selling him and EVERY other Cuban on that. The new IFA pool helps us alot more too. Reason why we never got the guys before is Jeff would make a cheap money offer and try to sell them on Miami. Jeff offered them all fair contracts but were blown out of the water by other teams who were willing to overpay

Most these guys care 99.999% about $.

Total opposite of Asian Players who could care less about $ and wanna play on the West Coast or for a big market team

Comment

• Okay, time to put this thread to bed. There's an offseason thread now, and please make individual threads for major stories (trades, signings, etc)
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                              X