This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    Yeah from what I read, Frisaro said we're trying to pitch to him that we're "home" for him.
    I think we might have the upper hand on the orioles. They are a train wreck, not located in little havana, and have a much longer pathway to contention than we do. Hopefully we can sell him on that cause he would be huge for our system.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      Jose Urena isnt the most popular guy in the fanbase, but he just had 2 very solid seasons in a row and has 3 years left of team control. Will never be an ace but there is no reason to trade him this offseason. Chen and Straily are the guys who should be moved from the rotation if we want to make room for some young guys, with Straily being the only one who could be traded. I think a 2020 rotation of Urena, Neidert, Alcantara, Lopez, and a 5th guy between Gallen, Guzman, Yamamoto, Richards, etc. is very solid, cheap, and young. Our SP looks really solid moving forward. The bats in the system are far behind as of right now, but adding Victor Victor and a bat at #3 or #4 next year would go a long way towards rebuilding our position players.

- - - - - - - - - -

He's earned himself a chance in april for sure. Hopefully he can become a high K but big power bat for us moving forward, but i wouldnt hold my breath. He does have a solid track record in the minors though so maybe he could become a late bloomer for us. Id give him a look at 1b for next year.

- - - - - - - - - -

Frisaro generally sucks but FWIW, he says he gets the sense that Victor Victor and his brother are a package deal and that although we might havethe 2nd most money we might be the most natural fit, and the Orioles have a front office shakeup going on so that could play a role.

I really think we end up with him
      Thats the "rumor" going around and Miami is trying to sign Victor Victor NOW and then sign Mesa Jr on July 2 2019. Telling VV he will start in Jupiter or Jax and could be up by 2020 and they will start Mesa Jr in GCL

We have a VERY good chance of getting them both but MONEY talks and the "home angle" never works with the Cuban guys. Jeff tried it with every Cuban guy and it always came down to $$$$

60/40 we get BOTH of them!

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        Thats the "rumor" going around and Miami is trying to sign Victor Victor NOW and then sign Mesa Jr on July 2 2019. Telling VV he will start in Jupiter or Jax and could be up by 2020 and they will start Mesa Jr in GCL

We have a VERY good chance of getting them both but MONEY talks and the "home angle" never works with the Cuban guys. Jeff tried it with every Cuban guy and it always came down to $$$$

60/40 we get BOTH of them!
        That would be ideal if we can get it done. Cant explain how much getting a top prospect bat without having to trade anything would be for our hitting group.

Comment

• Obviously you give him every opportunity as a starter, but I think Richards can be a truly great reliever with that changeup. Id be interested to see if he has anything more behind that fastball in a shorter outing though or if he will always just top out in the low 90s no matter what. Good rookie years though for him and Lopez in the 2nd half. Lopez is the guy who interests me the most out of all of our pitchers to pitch up here this year.

Id start next year with a rotation of Urena, Lopez, Alcantara, Smith hopefully is healthy, and then Richards/Chen with the other coming out of the bullpen. Then mix in guys as they become ready over the year like Gallen, Neidert, and Merandy among a few other guys.

Then out of the bullpen go with Barraclough, Chen/Richards, Steck, Wittgren, Conley, and a couple veterans we sign. Then sign a couple veteran bats, let the young guys develop, and hope we can either contend surprisingly or dump the veterans at the deadline. We need to sign ideally a veteran 1b and hopefully a corner OF (or even 2). 1-2 year deals, buy low and hopefully get lucky and stay in it a little longer or just dump them at the deadline. Id be interested in Daniel Murphy for 1-2 years at 8-10 million and then a corner OF 1 year stop gap like maybe a mccutchen or brantley or for super cheap just throw Granderson a 1 year deal. Other option is Carlos Gonzalez but to me he screams of a guy who will crash the second he leaves coors given his career away stats. It seems like a lot of money relatively speaking but remember we will likely get out of 5 million or so of Castro's deal once we deal him next year.

Last guy who interests me would be Donaldson but he will likely be out of our price range. I wouldnt hesitate however to give him a deal that works for his interests and ours. He likely wont get a long term deal after this year, so i'd give him at least a 1 year deal for like 15 million and then try as hard as possible to give us some sort of team option, even if it means we have to give him more money guaranteed in the first year.
          Last edited by fish16; 09-29-2018, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• They bring Sierra in to pinch run for O’Brien and he gets thrown out stealing 2B.

This guy is one of the most useless Marlins in the last 10 years.

Comment

• Any chance Michael Hill is finally fired after tomorrow ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                Any chance Michael Hill is finally fired after tomorrow ?
                IDK if he was speculating or breaking news but Frisaro said something on twitter today about him not going anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                  IDK if he was speculating or breaking news but Frisaro said something on twitter today about him not going anywhere.
                  I know things have changed but it just seems until he is gone I will have no confidence this rebuild will be anything but unsuccessful. Without many assests left, now it will be all about IFA and the draft, areas that Hill doesn't have a stellar history in these areas. I still don't see anyone in the ML system that has the look of a "star".

I just don't understand why he is still here, and I think Jeter is digging his own grave by working with him. I still predict Jeter will be gone after year 3. Sherman will buy him out and then try to sell Jeter's portion or then just decide to sell it all.

Comment

• The minor league numbers that stuck out for Lopez and Richards were their K/W ratios ... better than 5/1. To me, that's a tell for measuring major league potential. Neidert accomplished that this season as well, as did Yamamoto and Beggs. Therefore, those are my "big five" heading into 2019. Ben Meyer accomplished that feat at Jupiter in 2017, but was sent directly to AAA this year, where he was unable to come close to matching it. I have no idea why he was promoted to Miami when he struggled at New Orleans. Brigham never came close to establishing that K/W ratio at any level.

Alcantara and Gallen never came remotely close either. I don't know how they are projectable for the majors at all until they prove themselves in the minors.

Comment

• But Alcantara is tall and he throws hard.

#Marlins

Comment

• Peter Gammons

Verified account

@pgammo
                        19s19 seconds ago
                        More Peter Gammons Retweeted Joe Frisaro
                        Two International Directors think the Mesas are a done deal to Miami
                        Pretty huge news.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                        The minor league numbers that stuck out for Lopez and Richards were their K/W ratios ... better than 5/1. To me, that's a tell for measuring major league potential. Neidert accomplished that this season as well, as did Yamamoto and Beggs. Therefore, those are my "big five" heading into 2019. Ben Meyer accomplished that feat at Jupiter in 2017, but was sent directly to AAA this year, where he was unable to come close to matching it. I have no idea why he was promoted to Miami when he struggled at New Orleans. Brigham never came close to establishing that K/W ratio at any level.

Alcantara and Gallen never came remotely close either. I don't know how they are projectable for the majors at all until they prove themselves in the minors.
                        its almost as if you have no idea how to evaluate pitching prospects or prospects in general. still.

Comment

• Not that anyone wants to watch this game tomorrow anyways, but i dont understand how the league can just cancel a game even though it could have draft implications. We're only a half game behind the Tigers so they could finish worse than us if they lose today and we win and we could finish a .5 game ahead of the White Sox if they win today and we lose. Drafting 3rd is pretty different than 5th, how the fuck can they just cancel the game like that?

Comment

• Just want to point out if Yelich hits a 3 run bomb and Baez and Carpenter do nothing, Yelich wins NL triple crown

Comment

• "Its almost as if you have no idea how to evaluate pitching prospects or prospects in general. still."

I just told you exactly how I evaluated prospects. How about you? Do you read them off a prospect list somewhere?
                              Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-30-2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                                "Its almost as if you have no idea how to evaluate pitching prospects or prospects in general. still."

I just told you exactly how I evaluated prospects. How about you? Do you read them off a prospect list somewhere?
                                no, i actually look into the prospects and take a lot of stuff into account when i evaluate guys such as age relative to opponents, stuff for pitchers, scouting reports, results, sample size, among other things.

All im saying is i have no problem with taking stats into account when evaluating guys, but failing to look into the context of those numbers is why you consistently love guys like Brigham, Meyer, Twine, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X