This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
    Any chance Michael Hill is finally fired after tomorrow ?
    Why? Hill and Mattingly are both under contract for next year. For all the crap we give Mike Hill he is still very respected as a scouting guy around MLB. More likely Oct 2019 Hill and Mattingly are gone-Denbo up to GM,Greenlee or DJ to Denbo's job and a new manager/coach staff for 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Why? Hill and Mattingly are both under contract for next year. For all the crap we give Mike Hill he is still very respected as a scouting guy around MLB. More likely Oct 2019 Hill and Mattingly are gone-Denbo up to GM,Greenlee or DJ to Denbo's job and a new manager/coach staff for 2020
      Well from what I have been led to believe he is mostly responsible for the trades last year, with the final approval coming from Jeter. The Yelich trade right now just looks like swapping an alpha player for several beta players. And was a huge waste of your biggest tradeable asset. If it turns out as bad as it looks right now, the team will need years of drafts to make up for it. Fishstripes podcast was not so keen on their 1st draft. If he's involved for a 2nd draft, that could put is behind for 2 more years. That's why I am not seeing this rebuild anywhere close to being the success so far that some see it. If Realmuto is moved next year we will possibly be even worse. How are they ever going to build if not through the draft if they always pick the betas and never the alphas ?

I'm not expert but just an average joe fan, and it's very frustrating being a fan of this organization. We constantly are being sold the pot of gold under the rainbow. The future is NEVER now, or at least it hasn't been for 14 seasons. Like right now, we're being sold that "just wait and see what we'll do, project Wolverine will cure everything"....sorry but so far it's been a great big floppola. Brinson and Harrison are not replacements for Yelich, no matter what people on this board will say. The proof is in the taste of the pudding (which is the real quote) and so far it tastes pretty out of date.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      Not that anyone wants to watch this game tomorrow anyways, but i dont understand how the league can just cancel a game even though it could have draft implications. We're only a half game behind the Tigers so they could finish worse than us if they lose today and we win and we could finish a .5 game ahead of the White Sox if they win today and we lose. Drafting 3rd is pretty different than 5th, how the fuck can they just cancel the game like that?
      Just like that (fingers clicked). I agree it sucks but it's not the Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, or Giants involved. It's the Marlins & Tigers, a totally beta franchise & a older but beta-ish franchise involved. If it was one of the previously mentioned, it would not be cancelled.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
      Just want to point out if Yelich hits a 3 run bomb and Baez and Carpenter do nothing, Yelich wins NL triple crown
      And we gave him up on a friendly contract for Brison and Harrison . New owners still a beta franchise.

Comment

• Two 1-0 losses to end the season. Appropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          Two 1-0 losses to end the season. Appropriate.
          Honestly thought Alcantara's season was over the other day and didnt know he was pitching today and got distracted by the disgrace that the dolphins are annually. Best case scenario, he pitches well and we dont win to get the 5th pick. We already got the 4th pick, but im honestly very curious to get the rationale for just making us earn the #4 pick rather than get a potential coin flip scenario for #3. Like, I know no one would barely attend the game monday, but there are stakes involved so why is it up to the pirates to just essentially forfeit our #3 pick potential?

- - - - - - - - - -

As for Alcantara just looking at his body of work, he is still a solid #3 to me with the potential at best to be a #2. He will never have the ability to be if #1 but if Ozuna is what he was this year and every year other than last year than getting a long term #3 with upside for #2 is a solid deal even if you dont like the other pieces of the deal. I like Sierra but i wish they would stop jerking him around. I understand major league needs but if you need speed the marlins or cardinals had to have other options in the system the last . 2years. I dont get why they are using a guy with actual potential like Sierra (whether you believe it or not) for spot starts and pinch running opportunities rather than letting him develop the rest of his game like he has shwn he can if he is given time at each level and isnt rushed.

Comment

• The sky is the limit for Alcantara and his 5.96 xFIP this year.

Comment

The sky is the limit for Alcantara and his 5.96 xFIP this year.
              Do you ever post anything besides sarcasm? And thats with all due respect as i clearly know that you know what youre talking about, i just wish people would get rid of the clear cynicism from Loria and the beginning PR bumbles of this ownership group and let this front office operate under a clear conscience without regard to previous ownerships moves. I dont care if you disagree with the organizational direction, but can you at least take the time to explain your position rather than the easy, constant, sarcasm of a team trading their best players for prospects but being overshadowed by a previous ownership.

Honestly, i understand the snarkyness given the organization because trust me, i understand that we have done absolutely nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt, but Alcantara clearly has very hard to hit stuff and youre deliberately using small sample size of numbers that purposely takes into account a ridiculously small sample size that didnt even take into account his start today. At worst, he is the type of guy whose pure stuff will make his numbers better than they seem. To me, his floor is a guy like Eovaldi as a mid rotation guy and his ceiling is a #2 like a guy like Flaherty like we should have been after in the first place, but i just feel like its unfair to compare Alcantara to an ace prospect when realistically he is a #3 with a #2 ceiling just because sme people thought we could have gotten more than Alcantara,

Listen, as positive as i am, i clearly understand why people would be down on the Yelich and Stanton trades, but as of now we did well in the Ozuna trade and it was painfully obvious at the time of the trade that we sold high on him and that he was destined for a regression away from our lineup. He is an above average OF at best who we wouldnt have been able to re-sign after next year and we got a cheaper SP mid-rotation guy under team control or at worst an elite bullpen arm, a quality under team control SP prospect in Gallen, and an OF who i think has potential but was rushed and still has potential if we would just either let him develop or let him die in Sierra.. Dont like the pieces yet at your peril, but the Ozuna and Dee trades were fantastic and we sold high for the first time in a long time. The Dee trade is obvious that we won, but I wish people would stop being so hard on the Ozuna trade as if we traded this perennial all star which he isnt close to being. As hard as it was trading him and Stanton, we traded them at the peak of their value and its best if they arent in our long term plans to just deal them for minor league depth and freeing up our long term salary structure.

The only real place for criticism is the Yelich trade and im all for all of you guys blasting that trade because it has not worked out yet. I like the pieces, but its clear that it is an obvious piece to attack the team and new front office/ownership thus far after just 1 year, but to blast the Ozuna trade after a year is just straight missing the point. If we were rebuilding and had no chance of re-signing Ozuna who clearly was due for regression after the big year in 2017, I think we did incredibly well so long as you actually understand what Ozuna's value was long term. If Alcantars and Gallen are in the rotation for a few years, we wont that trade 100% even though id prefer Weaver or Flaherty because Ozuna;s numbers would have plummeted in our lineup this year and it would have made no sense for us to re-sign him after 2019.
              Last edited by fish16; 09-30-2018, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                Honestly, i understand the snarkyness given the organization because trust me, i understand that we have done absolutely nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt
                It’s a relief that you have finally admitted that you are an employee of the new ownership group of the Miami Marlins. It took you long enough.

Comment

It’s a relief that you have finally admitted that you are an employee of the new ownership group of the Miami Marlins. It took you long enough.
                  You caught me.

Comment

Thats the "rumor" going around and Miami is trying to sign Victor Victor NOW and then sign Mesa Jr on July 2 2019. Telling VV he will start in Jupiter or Jax and could be up by 2020 and they will start Mesa Jr in GCL

We have a VERY good chance of getting them both but MONEY talks and the "home angle" never works with the Cuban guys. Jeff tried it with every Cuban guy and it always came down to $$$$

60/40 we get BOTH of them!
                    It may come down to money, but in this case, we're not talking about a very big difference in salary, but what Miami should be selling these guys on is the money they will be able to make in endorsements in Miami vs. Baltimore. That should make a huge difference. It's not just strictly about "staying home", but actual dollars and cents when it's all said and done.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                      It may come down to money, but in this case, we're not talking about a very big difference in salary, but what Miami should be selling these guys on is the money they will be able to make in endorsements in Miami vs. Baltimore. That should make a huge difference. It's not just strictly about "staying home", but actual dollars and cents when it's all said and done.
                      Well all the Cuban guys love Miami but in reality they love $$$ even more. When Jeff owned the team his "presentation" was the same for every guy-they tried to get Cespedes,Puig,guy in Boston

Remember u only really play in "Baltimore or Chicago" from April till Sept so u can come back to Florida from Oct to March.

I agree they should be selling these guys on Little Havana,endorsements and all but most of these guys could care less where they play as long as they play baseball and get $$$$

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                      Well from what I have been led to believe he is mostly responsible for the trades last year, with the final approval coming from Jeter. The Yelich trade right now just looks like swapping an alpha player for several beta players. And was a huge waste of your biggest tradeable asset. If it turns out as bad as it looks right now, the team will need years of drafts to make up for it. Fishstripes podcast was not so keen on their 1st draft. If he's involved for a 2nd draft, that could put is behind for 2 more years. That's why I am not seeing this rebuild anywhere close to being the success so far that some see it. If Realmuto is moved next year we will possibly be even worse. How are they ever going to build if not through the draft if they always pick the betas and never the alphas ?

I'm not expert but just an average joe fan, and it's very frustrating being a fan of this organization. We constantly are being sold the pot of gold under the rainbow. The future is NEVER now, or at least it hasn't been for 14 seasons. Like right now, we're being sold that "just wait and see what we'll do, project Wolverine will cure everything"....sorry but so far it's been a great big floppola. Brinson and Harrison are not replacements for Yelich, no matter what people on this board will say. The proof is in the taste of the pudding (which is the real quote) and so far it tastes pretty out of date.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just like that (fingers clicked). I agree it sucks but it's not the Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, or Giants involved. It's the Marlins & Tigers, a totally beta franchise & a older but beta-ish franchise involved. If it was one of the previously mentioned, it would not be cancelled.

- - - - - - - - - -

And we gave him up on a friendly contract for Brison and Harrison . New owners still a beta franchise.
                      Past 2 drafts have actually been pretty good and unlike the past they are even moving these guys up fast. 3 years ago we would have 25 yr olds in Low A ball because they were drafted the year before-past 2 years we been very aggressive.

Just so u know Mike Hill has NOTHING to do with our drafts-all on STAN MEEK. Mike Hill's role was to call Jeff and tell him what the guy wanted to sign then tell Meek yes or no. THis years draft was ALL on Gary Denbo and his team

- - - - - - - - - -

We should be cleaning up in Cuba and the Bahamas. Past 3/4 years like 25 very solid prospects have come out of the Bahamas and we got I think 2. Its a 45 min flight-get on a plane and sign some of these guys

Comment

Just so u know Mike Hill has NOTHING to do with our drafts-all on STAN MEEK. Mike Hill's role was to call Jeff and tell him what the guy wanted to sign then tell Meek yes or no. THis years draft was ALL on Gary Denbo and his team
                        Who the F knows if this is true, but what's even more mind-blowing is that you think it's acceptable that our general manager has no say in drafting players.

Comment

Past 2 drafts have actually been pretty good and unlike the past they are even moving these guys up fast. 3 years ago we would have 25 yr olds in Low A ball because they were drafted the year before-past 2 years we been very aggressive.

- - - - - - - - - -

We should be cleaning up in Cuba and the Bahamas. Past 3/4 years like 25 very solid prospects have come out of the Bahamas and we got I think 2. Its a 45 min flight-get on a plane and sign some of these guys
                          That's the 1st time I've ever heard that, even on this board. And if it's Denbo, why didn't they go after someone that project's better than Scott ? From what I gather the Tampa Bay pitcher has the most upside of anyone we passed on.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                          Who the F knows if this is true, but what's even more mind-blowing is that you think it's acceptable that our general manager has no say in drafting players.
                          I agree it's a very odd set up, but then again it would be so very Marlins if it's true.

Comment

• I could be wrong, but I feel like its normal for a GM to not be in charge of the draft. They usually arent completely removed from the situation either, and i dont think mike hill is completely removed, but im pretty sure the scouting directors and scouts are the ones generally running the draft. Gm's might make final calls but I dont think its crazy for the gm to be removed from the draft process somewhat.

Comment

• NOTHING

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                                NOTHING
                                ok then ya that would be abnormal, i didnt see how tjfla characterized Hill not being involved at all. I think thats kind of an exaggeration though i think he obviously has input on the draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X