2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post

counting stats in individual leagues would not be the best way to judge it because most guys who put up numbers dont spend the whole year in the same league. he has things he can improve on. he's 21, not 24. there is no rush with him. plus, i highly doubt banfield and ramirez start the year as our starting catchers, so there wont be room for him in AAA in my opinion. I think they will play service time games with ramirez so i think they start next year with those 2 in AAA, then ramirez gets promoted to MLB when service time is not an issue, ideally mack hits above .300 and continues to mash and earns the promotion to AAA when ramirez goes to the big leagues. He's had a great year, no doubt. If they start him at AAA i wouldnt complain, they just weirdly have some depth at C in the upper minors and he's still going to be just 22 opening day next year.
    He's performing generally as well as Shaw and C. Williams (top top prospects) in AA, so I do think he can be compared to the league to an extent. He is doing as well as anyone in Mack's defense.

And then, you haven't mentioned the main thing about Mack - the RHP split .852 OPS versus .723 vs LHP. It is a dream situation to think Mack can play 100 games against righties, and Ramirez gets the lefties and some off days (and Ramirez then soaks up more 1B/DH assuming he really hits).

Basically, if you look at overall catcher production, if you're a slightly above average defensive catcher (which they say Mack should be at minimum), and you can OPS .650, you're probably a 2+ WAR player quickly. Adley is an average defensive catcher this year with a .740 OPS overall and has a 2.9 WAR and climbing.

The bar is really really really low here if Mack is solid defensively and can OPS over .650 vs RHP, and Ramirez/Banfield (who has a LHP split) can handle the other 60 games at catcher against mostly lefties. I do think this will work itself out and the Marlins might genuinely have the right 3 guys at catcher for a few years once they are ready.

Comment

im sure they are just taking swings on guys that have some things they like in their analytical profile but every night it's a new guy that i've legitimately never heard of. Im fine with the strategy. doesnt fucking matter we're 40 games under .500. might as well let the kids play and see if we can find some cheap long term relievers.
      Exactly.

Some of these dudes are for sure just bodies to get through the year - Tinoco, Emmaneul, De Geus, McCaughan, etc. Maybe Curry even.

But a lot of the others there is some real thought behind it which is what I meant. I think we'll see 1-2 of them be kept on the 40 man with McMillian the best case scenario.

Comment

• Basically, my ideal team as soon as all the upper minors guys land is this. Bolds are preferred options

C - Mack/Banfield, Ramirez (Ramirez 60+ catcher starters as a high usage backup)
        1B/DH - Burger, DDLS/Martorella (and 60+ Ramirez starts)
        2B - Edwards, Serna/Otto/Pauley
        SS - ______
        3B - ______
        LF - Norby
        CF - ______, Sanoja/Mesa Jr./Pintar/Marsee/Sasaki
        RF - Sanchez/Stowers/Conine, Berry/Dane

The backup SS is the 2B backup + Edwards + maybe Sanoja

The backup 3B is whoever is the best of Burger, DDLS, Norby, Berry, the 2B backup, and maybe Sanoja

Just gotta plug these 3 holes long term as the internal solutions are nothing, Bride/Pauley, and nothing right now. I feel like this is money and the 1 FA they need to sign, trade a SP, and a top 3 pick in 2025 fast riser. Plugs these 3 blank lines fast. The draft pick is a 3B/OF so this is how the F to get a SS with bucks or an arm.

Everything else has big player redundancy where doesn't matter who makes it or not, they have the bodies and someone will work out enough. This is a good group. A real plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

They were pretty clear with some of the acquisition press they think he was rushed and needs some real MiLB time, especially to work on secondary offerings. You know, the "pitch in reverse" scouting reports and how FG thinks he is likely a fastball/slider reliever. Also the constant lowest common denominator comment - he was up (eyeballing) around 40 days this season, so call this...... Mid May 2025 and later and his age 30 season is unlocked via service time (and he'd be a super 2 like Garrett and Cabrera). He seems like a guy they will do this with to me. Just saying here, maybe he gets a spot or two if they are desperate as you can kick that mid-May 2025 to June 1, 2025 pretty easily on a big picture level, but I don't expect the big call up for him ala Max until some point next year (assuming he works out too). He's also up to 114 innings this year and did 96 last year. He may just have 2-3 or so starts left in him. I don't think they'll jump him more than 30-35 innings, but maybe that's wrong. I'd just let him throw in AAA and cycle these dingleberry waiver claims and AAA guys to get through the season and maybe a few (like Bellozzo and McMillian in particular) stick on the 40 man.
          Nowhere in their writeup does it say Mazur is a likely reliever. It said he was rushed and he still had things to work on and that is the pitcher that could end up as a reliever.
          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
          Noah Perio
          Jupiter
          39 AB
          15 H
          0 2B
          0 3B
          0 HR
          0 BB
          .385/.385/.385

Comment

• I just saw the Marlins made 4 errors last night. That’s a fokken lot of errors at this level. I’ve managed 13 year olds that can get through 9 innings with 2 or 3 errors

Comment

• Sanchez (Jeezy) walk and a stolen base in the first inning. He’s automatic vs RHP.

Comment

• Derek Hill just pumped one out over dead center wall against a RHP

Comment

• It’ll be interesting to see if Stowers can keep this up after leaving Coors Field.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                    Sanchez (Jeezy) walk and a stolen base in the first inning. He’s automatic vs RHP.
                    .......proceeds to go 0-3 against righties with 2 k's

Comment

Derek Hill just pumped one out over dead center wall against a RHP
                      3 for 4 with 2 HR’s today off RHP

Comment

Yes, today’s performance means he’s useless!!

Comment

Yes, today’s performance means he’s useless!!
                          that's definitely what i said!

Comment

• Ooooof Jeezy within 2 feet of a grand slam haha

Comment

fish16 missing DLC so bad. Trying to make Sanchez fill that hole.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick View Post

fish16 missing DLC so bad. Trying to make Sanchez fill that hole.
                                Sanchez has some positive aspects to his game at least. DLC had none. I just think you guys act like Sanchez is better than he actually is and has been. He’s a very limited player

Comment

Working...
                                X