2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nick View Post
    Traded all our players and we get exactly 1 prospect (not even technically a prospect) called up. So excited to see the likes of Nick Gordon, Forrest Wall, David Hensley and Emmanuel Rivera for the rest of the year.
    I think we'll see Norby and DDLS in 2 weeks FWIW? Norby is going to Intro To 3B 101 for 2 weeks I imagine and DDLS is its better to get feet wet now for next year, versus holding onto next year. Maybe its service time for him but lets try and win and Im not sure DDLS in 2031 is a present concern? I get it with Ramirez and Snelling for sure, but not him.

Mazur should be up in the bullpen for years immediately though. I hope that happens quickly.

It makes sense for Ramirez, Snelling, Serna, Pauley, and the rest to be down so no hate there.

They are all coming. I hope we see some Gordon, Wall, and Rivera DFAs for.... Johnston, Conine, etc. level try outs. Give them a chance because Gordon and Rivera have and have failed.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post

Yeah, despite the hype, he doesn’t seem like “the” guy, but rather a great complimentary piece that will succeed with other good players around him, which he didn’t have here.
      Its like the Florida Panthers - everyone got better getting off those other shitty hockey teams and into a real system. Like duh? The Heat do this with everyone.

Jazz is exactly the kind of dude who is going to thrive in a better environment. I am so happy for his landing spot. This wouldn't have happened in Seattle. He's going to be awesome for them. That's his stage as the compliment to Judge and Soto for sure.

Comment

• I still don't get why you want to just shoehorn Mazur into a bullpen role.

You cant really use their pitch mix in 31 IP to extrapolate either. That could just be they are a young pitcher and the staff wanting to use their two strongest pitches while they get a feel for the bigs.

Eury Perez used his 4 seam 45% and slider 30% of the time, sparingly using his curve and rarely touching his changeup. Using your same reasoning Perez is a fastball/Slider reliever.

Not comparing the two pitchers, but just the flawed logic you are using.

Mazur is a guy with 5 pitches who the Padres kind of rushed through the minors because of needs at the MLB level. He only pitched 150 innings in the minors to a 3.4 ERA.

I think you read on Fangraphs he might be a reliever, their line on him being "the Mazur we have seen in the minors so far might end up being a reliever". But that blurb was written on July 16th after a rough first 7 starts.

You are kind of basing things on a short sample size which we both know is dumb.
        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
        Noah Perio
        Jupiter
        39 AB
        15 H
        0 2B
        0 3B
        0 HR
        0 BB
        .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          rogers has a track record of success.
          Do you guys remember back in the early days of this forum when we would have "Signatures" at the bottom of our posts?

This would be my signature if we still had them hahahaha!

Comment

• Safe to say Jim Bowden liked what Miami did:

Key takeaways: First-year president of baseball operations Peter Bendix did a phenomenal job of maximizing the prospect return in his trades — so much so that it’s obvious he came to the Marlins after working with Erik Neander in the Rays organization, which has been the best in the business at making trades and building farm systems. I particularly liked the strong package the Marlins got from the Padres for Tanner Scott, the players they received from the Yankees for Jazz Chisholm Jr., and the return in the Trevor Rogers deal with the Orioles. Overnight, the Marlins became a top-five farm system in baseball.
            We’ll have to see what happens. There’s a nonzero chance that none of these guys amount to shit. But it was a good swing. I think top 5 farm system is a little optimistic, but they’re probably finally in the top half of the league. After signing this IFA kid in January, and a top draft pick, they could be up there next year, though.

Comment

• Xavier Edwards makes it look so easy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                I still don't get why you want to just shoehorn Mazur into a bullpen role.

You cant really use their pitch mix in 31 IP to extrapolate either. That could just be they are a young pitcher and the staff wanting to use their two strongest pitches while they get a feel for the bigs.

Eury Perez used his 4 seam 45% and slider 30% of the time, sparingly using his curve and rarely touching his changeup. Using your same reasoning Perez is a fastball/Slider reliever.

Mazur is a guy with 5 pitches who the Padres kind of rushed through the minors because of needs at the MLB level. He only pitched 150 innings in the minors to a 3.4 ERA.

I think you read on Fangraphs he might be a reliever, their line on him being "the Mazur we have seen in the minors so far might end up being a reliever". But that blurb was written on July 16th after a rough first 7 starts.

You are kind of basing things on a short sample size which we both know is dumb.
                completely agree. It's absurd to take the half seasons of him, snelling, and pauley at levels that they were clearly being rushed to and act like this is what they are forever. Mazur has a 50 FV grade from BA and they grade him as having 4 + pitches and elite control. Their report has him at a 55 FB, 50 curveball, 60 slider, 50 changeup, and 70 control. Let the fucking kid develop as a starter in the minors. Makes 0 sense to bring him up here as we are 30 games under .500 and waste his service time. especially dumb to do it as a reliever.

I like what they did with pauley too sending him back to AA. the padres, shocker, rushed them both. it seems to be what they do with prospects. See ryan weathers development pattern. All 3 of those guys are young. let them develop and see what you have

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post

Do you guys remember back in the early days of this forum when we would have "Signatures" at the bottom of our posts?

This would be my signature if we still had them hahahaha!
                  not sure why. ive never said rogers has never had success. i said he's been living off that success for 3 full years now as a thoroughly mediocre pitcher.

Comment

• havent we had this jesus tinoco guy on the team before?

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                      havent we had this jesus tinoco guy on the team before?
                      Yes in 2020

Comment

• Apparently Bell went to Arizona for a PTBNL and not $$. Should have ate the money and got something with a pulse back
                        Last edited by Todd; 07-31-2024, 02:42 PM.
                        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                        Noah Perio
                        Jupiter
                        39 AB
                        15 H
                        0 2B
                        0 3B
                        0 HR
                        0 BB
                        .385/.385/.385

Comment

• I think some on this board have written off the Burger Boy too soon. I think he'll be fine, I think him and DDLS holding down the fort at 1B/DH in years to come will be a lot of fun. The spirit of Justin Bour lives within them.

I really think Norby and Edwards will have 2B/LF on lockdown. You have to think we can find a 2-man combo at catcher between Ramirez/Mack/Banfield and Fortes. Norby at 3B would be fantastic, but I'm skeptical from what I read on his defense. Pauley's D is sketchy too, I do have concerns about the lack of emphasis on defense I'm seeing in these guys we've acquired. Good chance we take one of the college CF in next year's draft Laviolette or Cannarella. I don't love the Jared Serna pickup the more I think about it, defensive scouting report seems almost identical to Edwards and Sanoja, and I just like Edwards and Sanoja's skillsets a little better, RF may just come down to finding a lefty-masher to pair with either Sanchez or Stowers. It always comes back to SS, we gotta find a SS, preferably one who is incredible in the field since what he's going to have around him defensively won't be great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                            I still don't get why you want to just shoehorn Mazur into a bullpen role.

Disagree flawed logic.

1 - Do we really think San Diego traded two longterm SP for 2 months of Scott and Hoeing, who is also a FB/SL RP. Like, they aren't doing that on a practical level. SD knows what they have in these guys. It's probably a backend SP and a RP. The idea they traded Peter a # 3 and # 4 SP is insane. Would love to be wrong.

2 - https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savan...r-pitching-mlb - Eury's slider, curve, and change are *ELITE* pitches. Mazur doesn't have this arsenal. He has no 3rd pitch and maybe not even a plus second one. It's comparing apples to oranges which yes I know you know. The reason all he is throwing is FB/SL as the other stuff will be crushed. Eury is throwing it to dominate as no one can hit the secondaries.

3 - Post the full quote also - It's fair to have some long-term questions about the viability of Mazur's repertoire at the big league level. His fastball is his only chase pitch because both of his breaking balls tend to finish in the strike zone. His arm slot makes it tough for him to create two-plane break on his slider, so while his best ones are still pretty nasty, they tend not to turn the corner and finish off the plate. Mazur will probably need to pitch backwards a lot of the time in order to survive. His fastball is getting tagged in the strike zone and he's surrendering a 94% z-contact rate against the pitch as of publication. His arm strength and breaking ball quality ensure he's going to be a useful big leaguer, but the Mazur we've seen in the majors looks more like a future reliever.

Comment

I think some on this board have written off the Burger Boy too soon. I think he'll be fine, I think him and DDLS holding down the fort at 1B/DH in years to come will be a lot of fun. The spirit of Justin Bour lives within them.

I really think Norby and Edwards will have 2B/LF on lockdown. You have to think we can find a 2-man combo at catcher between Ramirez/Mack/Banfield and Fortes. Norby at 3B would be fantastic, but I'm skeptical from what I read on his defense. Pauley's D is sketchy too, I do have concerns about the lack of emphasis on defense I'm seeing in these guys we've acquired. Good chance we take one of the college CF in next year's draft Laviolette or Cannarella. I don't love the Jared Serna pickup the more I think about it, defensive scouting report seems almost identical to Edwards and Sanoja, and I just like Edwards and Sanoja's skillsets a little better, RF may just come down to finding a lefty-masher to pair with either Sanchez or Stowers. It always comes back to SS, we gotta find a SS, preferably one who is incredible in the field since what he's going to have around him defensively won't be great.
                              I agree, Burger is fine for who he is. They've built in good redundancy here with DDLS, Martorella, and Berry so they will get something out of this group of players.

I think Serna may end up being the best guy they got in all these moves, so I think 2B is going to be very competitive. Only good things if both he and Edwards are awesome and they can move one or both around a little.

I think Norby is going to be a part time player against RHP (2B/1B/DH) and starting in LF against LHP for years. And he'll be generally good at it.

It's a longterm SS for sure and right handed OF preferably CF. Those are 100% the two big moves left. Money (Adames) and trade (Luzardo) is the best option.

Comment

I think some on this board have written off the Burger Boy too soon. I think he'll be fine, I think him and DDLS holding down the fort at 1B/DH in years to come will be a lot of fun. The spirit of Justin Bour lives within them.
                                I mean, he hit .230 with a .291 OBP for the White Sox in 500 AB.
                                Much more in line with how he played this year up until the last few weeks or the 2nd half of last year when his BABIP was over .350.
                                Burger is also 28, 29 in early April next year and horrid defensively at both corners.
                                Enjoy the second half of 2023 and the rare hot streak because he objectively isn't very good.
                                Noah Perio
                                Jupiter
                                39 AB
                                15 H
                                0 2B
                                0 3B
                                0 HR
                                0 BB
                                .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                                X